Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Getting To The Root Of Things. The Rutabaga: Its History, Uses, and Culture: Rutabagas in braised dishes

Communities > Forums > Article: Getting To The Root Of Things. The Rutabaga: Its History, Uses, and Culture
bookmark
Forum: Article: Getting To The Root Of Things. The Rutabaga: Its History, Uses, and CultureReplies: 2, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sghatdaves
Shelton, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2008
4:18 PM

Post #4464765

Stew, soup, fricassee, gravy: all of these are mellowed and richened in flavor by adding a pared and diced rutabaga. (A small turnip will work in a pinch, but is not so sweet.) No one needs to know your secret -- just accept the compliments with a sneaky smile.

I have a husband who swears he detests turnipy things, including rutabagas. He doesn't know a lot of things that happen in the kitchen, and he thinks I am Julia Child.

sgh

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2008
5:12 PM

Post #4465037

Wise advice. I 'sneak' things into food also...but I'm lucky. Hubby likes turnips and rutabagas. I agree, 'bagas are much sweeter.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #4465408

I always wondered why they coated them with wax, and I've never tried them because of it. Now I know!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Getting To The Root Of Things. The Rutabaga: Its History, Uses, and Culture Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Yummy ! Dea 16 Feb 8, 2008 10:51 PM
Timely in a rather silly way... tucsonjill 4 Nov 10, 2009 12:48 AM
Rutabagas in stews ival 2 Nov 9, 2009 2:25 PM
Rutabagas (swedes to Aussies) in soups Beverlyiris 5 Nov 10, 2009 9:07 AM
RUTABAGAS SIVAD331 3 Nov 9, 2009 5:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America