Photo by Melody

Article: Hardy Euphorbias in the Garden An Untamed Passion for 'Shrubby Spurges': Talisman Tiger?

Communities > Forums > Article: Hardy Euphorbias in the Garden An Untamed Passion for 'Shrubby Spurges'
bookmark
Forum: Article: Hardy Euphorbias in the Garden An Untamed Passion for 'Shrubby Spurges'Replies: 6, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bearroadie2
Saltillo, MS

January 29, 2008
3:47 AM

Post #4467812

I bought some talisman Tiger euphorbias and was soooo excited. I had seen them in seed catalogs and wanted some but wouldn't pay the price. Then I found them at LOWES!! Yes you heard right--Lowes. Well took them home and planted them according to the chart. Kept them watered, but not soaking----this was during our drought season. After all this I watched them die down and wondered if they are gone for good or just dormant??? After reading your article, I am saddened that they may have bit the dust for good.
Any suggestion or more info on this type???

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2008
4:58 AM

Post #4468061

What zone are you in?
The 'Tasmanian Tiger' Euphorbia is a Mediterranean plant best in full sun to light shade in a well drained soil and irrigated regularly to occasionally. Winter Hardiness: 0-10 F. I have had mine for a couple of years now and it does not go dormant.
This shot was taken when planted, it's filled out & doubled in size now.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/146454/

I have lost other euphorbia because they were in too heavy of clay soil so I think the key is well drained soil and if planted in clay, light irrigation to prevent rotting.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2008 9:00 PM
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2008
9:51 AM

Post #4468348

Calif_Sue, seems like every time I find a picture of Tasmanian Tiger it's from someone in CA :) I sure hope I'm successful with TT this year.

bearroadie2, Sue's given you some excellent advice and there's not much more I can add. We do have clay soil here and most of the Euphorbias have performed well regardless. I did however have a problem this past summer with an unknown pest :( Some of the Euphorbias looked like they were wilting, suspected problems with moles tunneling through their root system but closer inspection revealed evidence of some type of borer inside the stems. I was never able to actually find what pest had caused this damage and unfortunately the Euphorbias withered away :( I'm hoping this pest won't show his face again but I guarantee you I'll be looking for him. He's not going to get my Euphorbias this year!

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2008
3:48 PM

Post #4469091

[quote]seems like every time I find a picture of Tasmanian Tiger it's from someone in CA [/quote]
Yeah, that may be the key. If you scroll down from that photo, the other pictures submitted are from 2 other CA growers and 3 from the west coastal Canada in zone 8. (Todd Boland is in zone 5 but his picture was taken in zone 8)
bearroadie2
Saltillo, MS

February 1, 2008
11:57 PM

Post #4483915

I just hope mine comes back!! Does yours go dormant? If not I'll be most unhappy.
My zone has been upgraded to 8.
Thank you for the info and I'll have to check my soil more. It may be too clayey.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2008
4:14 AM

Post #4484971

No, sorry, they do not go dormant as I wrote above. Ypu may have to start over, maybe in a different location.

You can add your zone by going to My Info (or clicking on your name in the post here )>click on Manage Preferences and then on the right side is a box is the Your Location link. Add your zip code and it will then add your zone.
cjvwm
Portland, OR

April 20, 2010
10:46 AM

Post #7721197

I have had Tasmanian Tiger for at least 8 years, when we moved we transplanted it and my daughter in law also has transplanted it successfully. It does not die back in winter here in Portland, Oregon but does need some cutting back to the ground as the leaves turn brown. It grows on the west side of out house, and makes a grand statement beginning blooming in February this year.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Hardy Euphorbias in the Garden An Untamed Passion for 'Shrubby Spurges' Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very well presented article pirl 7 Jan 26, 2008 2:11 AM
Lovely Shrubs debnes_dfw_tx 3 Jan 28, 2008 5:52 PM
Wow, I'm impressed! darius 7 Jan 26, 2008 8:12 PM
Oh mercy.... Chantell 2 Jan 26, 2008 1:51 AM
Gopher Repellent sandyrvrsd 1 Jan 29, 2008 7:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America