Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Peppers: Your Favorite Roasting Pepper?

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 12, Views: 224
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BronxBoy
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2008
5:38 PM

Post #4474012

I am roasting a batch of store brought right now and thought I'd ask what your favorite roasting peppers are. And how do you can them or otherwise put them up after roasting?

Looking forward to all the great suggestions!

BB
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2008
10:03 PM

Post #4487462

I've never canned - I just roast them and eat 'em!!! The only 2 I've grown myself were Cubanelle and Nardello. Both were great! (Now you've got me salivating!)
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 3, 2008
12:36 AM

Post #4488028

I haven't roasted before ,but it sounds great.
BronxBoy
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2008
11:51 AM

Post #4489420

Yeah they are hard to keep around, aren't they?

BB
kimmers
Turlock, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2008
6:45 AM

Post #4497418

I've roasted peppers on the grill, cool, then freeze in freezer bags. Great stuff added to stews and casseroles, omelets, etc.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2008
2:01 AM

Post #4500429

Oh, Kim - STOP! Didn't I just say I'm salivating??? LOL! You're a mean ole cheater 'cause you get a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig browing season!

PS - Thanks for the pepper seeds. Yours will be sprouting wings in a few days.
BronxBoy
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2008
11:01 AM

Post #4501639

Sequee:

You've already started your pepper seeds?
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2008
6:12 PM

Post #4503022

I meant that I was mailing hers in a few days, BUT - I will be starting mine next week. I'm taking a few days off next week to babysit my neighbors pets while the go to Daytona for the Anniversary Celebration at the track. What a perfect opportunity to start peppers and eggplants!

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 14, 2008
1:38 AM

Post #4535329

I love the Cubanelle, Ancho or Pablano for roasting and grilling.. The Giant Marconi was also delicious.. Actually and pepper at all, lol..Sweet Bananas were good too..

Larkie
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2008
9:08 PM

Post #5037067

mmm...this caught my eye, because that is one of the requirements I have for the majority of my peppers - roastable. You can do it on the grill, in the oven, or on a special stovetop grill plate (maybe even a cast iron pan).

After I roast them (skin is blistered and sometimes black), I pop them in a paper sack for a few minutes to steam. When I'm doing a lot, which I hope I will this year, I just lay them directly on the oven racks and turn it to hot (like 400, I don't remember exactly, but not broil). After they've steamed, the skin will slip right off. I usually freeze them in small baggies inside a freezer bag as either sandwich/hamburger peppers (thicker and stayed whole in the peeling process) for chile, posole, soups, casseroles (chop and add with bits of prosciutto ham to mac cheese), and all the stuff kimmer said. This year I hope to can a few half pints if I can grow enough. It has to be done in a pressure canner (check time and pressure requirements).

So back on to what type - any New Mexico type, poblano (ancho is the dried version of poblano); I'm growing Pasillo Bajio this year at the suggestion of a local grower/nursery. Should be good for everything and not too hot or too mild.

PS No expert, hope others give more suggestions - I'd like to know too.
Sequee, When you grill them, do you skin them? The NM types seem to have tough skin when fresh, are the sweet peppers that way too? Non-bells, I mean? I do not like bells.
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2008
12:39 AM

Post #5038088

Jimmy Nardello Sweet Frying pepper has a thin skin and fries up fast. Very sweet when red. Green, they have a very light bell pepper taste.
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2008
2:58 AM

Post #5038924

Thank you David-I won't get that one.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2008
1:32 PM

Post #5071444

Both 'Gypsy' and 'Carmen' hybrids are thick-walled and sweet -- fabulous for roasting, IMO, especially the larger 'Carmen' (a hybrid red bull's horn).

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America