Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Winter Blues: thank you

Communities > Forums > Article: Winter Blues
bookmark
Forum: Article: Winter BluesReplies: 15, Views: 113
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
backspace
Saint Charles, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2008
3:32 AM

Post #4476621

Thank you for such an inspiring an beautiful story as I fight the winter blues myself this time of year. This year especially with the loss of my precious father who passed away suddenly 9 months ago.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2008
4:44 AM

Post #4476877

I will echo Backspace's sentiments, having also had a sudden loss this year, but your winter doldrums made me smile.
Thanks, Kathleen.
prairielaura
Brenham, TX

February 4, 2008
3:53 PM

Post #4494178

Made me laugh out loud, because I also have a vast reservoir of fabric stashed, and a pair of daughters, and organizational issues...can we talk about the bushel basket of photographs that I MUST do something with? (Latest plan:big collage frame for the Kodak moments of my life, grab-bag of the rest, to be discarded after the girls pick through them. I used to make albums, and then I realized that no one ever, ever looks at old family movies or albums.)
However my winter blues are a lot shorter than yours, because I live in central Texas, where we are six weeks from spring and ten weeks from the onset of our hellish summer. I think I suffer more from ohGodwillthis summer-ever-end.
So today is the appointed day to by golly plant some seeds in little compartmentalized memorial gardens...if I can find any left from when the giant yellow rodents (we have yellow labrador mixed breeds that are working hard at chewing the house down from the garage inward) discovered the seed packets in my gardening drag-wagon. It's best not to linger on the thought that IF the seeds sprout, and IF I get them successfully planted, the yellow rodents will almost certainly dig them up in a flurry of crazed dog-hollow making. Sigh. Enjoy your moderate summer, and cast a sympathetic thought our way.
backspace
Saint Charles, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2008
11:55 PM

Post #4496091

Prairielaura, I differ with you in the fact that if you HAD lost a LOved one the way I lost my father you would have very different thoughts on old pictures, homemade movies and precious memories left behind, because that is ALL YOU HAVE.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2008
12:40 AM

Post #4496273

I'm glad I was able to touch you all and cheer you a bit.

If prairielaura and I are on the same page, I think perhaps the photos etc. that she's planning on disposing of come under the heading of "why did I take this picture of total strangers?" and "oh, my heavens, my high school senior trip!" All of the total strangers (and a few people that I wish had been total strangers) ended up in the trash, along with my senior trip. We weren't what you'd call a close class - one reunion in 35 years, and it was one too many!

Anyway, I truly am sorry to hear of your losses backspace and Sharron.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2008
1:35 AM

Post #4496504

Thanks, Kathleen, and I did truly love your article. It took me years but finally I was able to toss my mother's college scrapbook with its photos and momentos that I did not recognize. The only thing I kept was a Hershey's chocolate wrapper...it was huge and had a 5cent price on it. I had to keep that one. And of course I kept pictures of my mother.

It is 70 degrees in WKY today, Joy, Joy!!!!

Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2008
12:31 PM

Post #4497660

Between you and Melody and Melissa, I often know better what the weather is there than anywhere other than here. Lisa just tells me it's cold - hehe.

joeyramone
Schenectady, NY

July 21, 2009
10:00 AM

Post #6845347

Great article, Kathleen. I'm upstate too and it's a LONG season. Here's our sorry lookin' barn-

Thumbnail by joeyramone
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2009
10:41 AM

Post #6845401

This past year sure was!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
4:11 AM

Post #7450505

Well after a couple of weeks of northern NY like winter. My hat is off to you. This twas totally terrible.I want my sweet Arkansas winter back.
I fight depression all year long but this time of year is worst. I continually look for signs of green.
Also have the tons of fabrics i can't bare to part with.Along with lace,yarn,ribbons and buttons.
Have a great Gardening year everyone
Vickie
stellamarina
Laie, HI

January 11, 2010
6:59 AM

Post #7450827

Enjoyed your writing very much. Can I dare say that I am a little jealous. I live in Hawaii which is warm and blue skied much of the time...even in winter. It can get tedious and we never get a break from weeding and trimming the quickly growing vegetation. I would love to hunker down for a cold white winter...well for a few days anyway. :o)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #7451337

I just read your article and really enjoyed it. I just noticed that it was written in 2008 when I started to post here. Was that really two years ago?? Time really does fly--even when you have had a loved one to "go Home". My own beloved DH passed away on Nov. 12, 2008. Having my flowerbeds, which he helped to establish, has made it easier for me. Even when it is cold, I can walk outside and look around and see my DH's handiwork. He enjoyed working in the flowerbeds -- deadheading the roses was actually a favorite job of his.

Like Vickie(see her post above), I live in Arkansas and our winters are usually short-lived. However, this season we have had a much colder winter than we normally do which made your article especially appealing at this point in time. I have "been there and done that" as regards almost everything you mentioned, especially with the fabric. Fortunately, over the past few years I have more-or-less conquered my pack rat tendencies and have been able to get rid of most of the accumulated "junk" in my house. "One man's or woman's junk is, indeed, another person's treasure." It is a big relief, believe me, to know that I actually have extra room in my closets!
As far as keeping all those old family photographs is concerned, may I suggest something that has worked wonderfully for me? I have been going through my photo albums from years past. I have scanned the photos which are especially meaningful and I now have them safely stored in a Picasa web album. Even if my computer were to crash, I will still have access to these photos on the web. Also, rather than flipping through an old photo album, I can view the enlarged photos in a slideshow on my computer any time I like. I have given many of the older family photos of my DH's parents, grandparents and great-grandparents to his family members. Yet I still have them on my web album and can enjoy seeing them anytime I please. Many other old photographs which really have no meaning to anyone have seen the bottom of the wastebasket. LOL

Anyway, thanks again for your article. It is still relevant today and will be, I rather imagine, as long as there is winter. :o))

Marilyn
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2010
2:26 PM

Post #7451391

Cando and Marsue, we've been thinking of all of you who aren't used to this weather - We laugh a bit the first few days, but when it goes on like it has (and the poor farmers in Florida!) we feel bad for you. It is hard enough when you know it's coming and are prepared. When it just pops up now and then, it can really be awful - like when we get a hot summer (hot: anything over 80). I'm glad you enjoyed reading my 'old' article!

Stellamarina, what can I say? I hate to admit it, but I think I'd be lost without the seasons, even winter, although having one that's a bit less intense might be nice!
cowboydj
Rosenberg, TX

January 13, 2010
5:40 AM

Post #7457448

I'm so sorry for your loss, Backspace. I can only imagine how you must feel, thinking of losing my parents very often.

For Seasonal Adjustment Disorder (SAD), there are "light boxes" available. I think we got ours from a "junk" catalog??? The bulbs are "like the sun" and, sitting under one for a few minutes a day helps one overcome SAD. Yes, it's a "real" psychiatric diagnosis!?!?! My daughter has it.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2010
12:00 PM

Post #7457664

We have what the children of friends call a 'happy light'. From what I've read, it's not necessarily the color of the light, but the intensity. And Vitamin D.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2010
3:55 AM

Post #7460176

I've found out this year that vitiman D is a big help.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Winter Blues Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I can relate Dutchlady1 15 Jan 11, 2010 3:23 PM
Winter Blues grisaille 1 Feb 5, 2008 12:45 AM
Excellent! KyWoods 3 Jan 11, 2010 7:16 PM
Winter Dollykat 1 Jan 11, 2010 2:34 PM
Winter in Western New York bsavage 6 Jan 11, 2010 7:57 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America