Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Introduction to Cold Hardy Tree Ferns: Well, shucks!

Communities > Forums > Article: Introduction to Cold Hardy Tree Ferns
bookmark
Forum: Article: Introduction to Cold Hardy Tree FernsReplies: 8, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2008
2:18 PM

Post #4477851

I was hoping against hope that "cold hardy" meant clear up here in Zone 5, but I just missed it. We can dream, right? Loved the article, gained some new info, and those are some FABULOUS pics! Thank you!
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2008
3:17 PM

Post #4478095

Thank you for sharing, the photos are just amazing. I learned so much, great information! Thanks again.
TropiSocal_dave
Garden Grove, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 31, 2008
5:13 PM

Post #4478653

This article and pictures makes me want to expand my collection of tree ferns. Thanks Palmbob for stoking the fire! Now I just need to get a bigger yard.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2008
8:46 PM

Post #4479414

Well, I cannot grow them here but I really appreciate all the work you put into this article! Thanks.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2008
9:01 PM

Post #4479468

I read "not to zone 5" and became hopeful -- I'm in zone 6! Then I read that some can handle temperatures "as low as 20 degrees, and my hopes diminished. Somehow, I don't think tree ferns would take to being shoved into the basement like my bananas... ;-)

They are really remarkable plants, though. Thanks for sharing them with us!
Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2008
9:37 PM

Post #4495490

Thank you for this very enlightening article!
I can't grow 'em, but I will be more interested
in seeing them next time I get the chance.
Fitsy
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2008
12:52 AM

Post #4504840

Thanks for the article! And thanks for the tips on keeping the center part watered.
To think this was a scragly 1 foot across tree fern 2 years ago!!
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/rjuddharrison/6461/
PauloBrazil
brasilia
Brazil

September 9, 2009
7:28 PM

Post #7044883

Very good article. It opened a whole new world on tree ferns to me . I only knew Dicksonia sellowiana ,once common now in the endangered species list in Brazil. The article made me want to cultivate these other species of tree fern . Recently, I saw a a tree fern in a forest near my ranch in the Cerrado ( brazilian savanah ) . I still havenīt identified this plant . I hope to post the pics soon.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #7045718

I saw quite a few in Costa Rica, do you know what type those are? May be same or similar as Brazil?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Introduction to Cold Hardy Tree Ferns Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Maybe a new tree fern in brazil PauloBrazil 0 Sep 9, 2009 7:21 PM
My Cold Dicksonia's! NEILMUIR1 1 Jan 19, 2010 4:16 AM
After a freeze and defoliation rjuddharrison 1 Jan 21, 2010 1:30 AM
Cold Hardy Tree Ferns MarciaS 2 Jan 28, 2010 2:18 AM
Dicksonia antarctica propagation JohnMich 0 Jan 25, 2010 11:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America