-
AuthorContent
AnnieJo
(Annie ) in Austin, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2008
4:58 PM

Post #4478590

My father is trying to plant a gardenia reminescent of one his mother had. He calls it a Cape Jasmine and says it was a large shrub, perhaps 6' but there are many types that fall under that heading. Can anyone tell me of one that grows well in central Texas, given the correct soil amendments? Thank you,
Annie
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2008
2:00 AM

Post #4488390

Sorry nobody's come along with any advice for you...have you tried posting on the TX gardening forum? You might find more people there who would know of some varieties that would do well there. They do best in slightly acidic soil so you may need to amend for best results, and I know they won't like afternoon sun. All the ones I've grown are not especially fond of heat, even if you have a place where they get shade in the afternoon your summers are so hot that they still might not be too terribly happy.

The best I can do for you is a Google search turned up a reference from a TX landscaping book which mentions the 'Daisy' cultivar. http://books.google.com/books?id=rN5G_167fnwC&pg=PA192&lpg=PA192&dq=gardenias that do well in texas&source=web&ots=Fazn9OkGGS&sig=oRzv6sa3C9xIGUUWuSYo7YrnL2c I've never seen that one at a nursery around here, but maybe you can find one near you.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2008
3:46 AM

Post #4488772

Annie - here was a helpful thread on Gardenia care http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/725084/
I'm in 7A and this is my first year with them but so far both the 'Shooting Star' and either the Chuck Hayes ot the Kleims Hardy are doing well for me still.
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 10, 2008
4:58 PM

Post #4519722

Hi Annie,
I have it in my zone. It does not like any frost at all. Even on covered patio in winter months--it survives winter barely. We have had a BF last season and I lost my huge plant. I have another one this year in a pot outdoor on covered patio and it looks ok. In my yard, it is not a plant to be in the ground for sure.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2008
5:28 PM

Post #4519809

That's very weird...I wouldn't be surprised to hear a Gardenia didn't survive an AZ summer, but they're all hardy to zone 8 and some cultivars even to zone 7 so I'm really surprised they wouldn't make it through a zone 9b winter. I had one last winter in a pot and it survived our week of unusually cold temps (down to the high teens/low 20's F overnight) and didn't even show the tiniest bit of damage. This winter we haven't had the severe cold, but we've had a number of frosty nights where temps have gotten into the 25-30 range and again it's showing no signs of damage at all. So if yours aren't making it through winter I suspect there's something else going on besides the cold.
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 11, 2008
12:35 AM

Post #4521409

Hmmmmmmm! I will need to take a look and see if there is a disease of some sort in my containers. So far the ones died have been in containers. Thanks ecrane3 for your help.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2008
3:26 AM

Post #4522221

It is grown in this area and the older generations called it Cape Jasmine but I believe it is just a common Gardenia. Not sure where that name came from.

In olden days, before funeral parlors, loved ones bodies were kept at home for viewal. In the heat, the odor could be offensive. This flower bloom was used to cover that odor. As a result, many older people do not care for the fragrance. It is not as commonly grown as a result. Very pretty shrub and blooms. I have tried twice with no luck. Hope I didn't ruin it for you AnnieJo
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2008
3:49 AM

Post #4522404

Cape jasmine is one of the common names for Gardenia, I'm not sure the origin but my guess is it's native to someplace where there's a Cape (not Cape Cod though, too cold there!). Personally I don't find the name Gardenia that hard to remember and I think that's what the majority of people call it, but if you look it up in Plant Files you'll see Cape Jasmine listed as a common name.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Fragrant Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Are there any easy Gardenias? Heavinscent 56 Jan 25, 2012 8:53 PM
Your most fragrant plants by ranking Heavinscent 201 Aug 28, 2008 11:34 PM
Most Fragrant Petunias... zville123 40 Apr 18, 2009 11:19 AM
Fragrant Iris List violabird 8 Jan 19, 2008 3:38 PM
Michelia alba lovetropics 77 Sep 22, 2008 5:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America