Photo by Melody

Weather: February Daily Weather - Spring is around the corner!

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 267, Views: 1,636
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2008
10:42 AM

Post #4481539

Good Morning Everyone!

Sidney asked me to start a new thread for February. We don't know what Punxsutawney Phil will predict on Ground Hog Day Feb 2. An early Spring or 6 more weeks of Winter? We'll find out tomorrow!

Everyone is welcome to stop by often and tell us your about weather.

60.4 F / 15.8 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 56 F / 13 C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h / 0.9 m/s from the SSE
Wind Gust: 7.8 mph / 12.6 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 6000 ft / 1828 m
Mostly Cloudy 13000 ft / 3962 m
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 20 ft / 6 m

Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 8 am this morning to 4 PM EST this afternoon...

Today
Mostly cloudy with showers likely and isolated thunderstorms in the morning. Then partly cloudy with a slight chance of showers in the afternoon. Breezy. High 69. Southwest winds 15 mph with gusts to 30 mph shifting to the west in the afternoon. Chance of rain 60 percent.

Sounds like Spring to me!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Click the image for an enlarged view.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2008
11:07 AM

Post #4481551

39 (Wind Chill 34) Raining

The freeze line is 60 miles north of us.
I'm doubting we see any 'Winter' out of this.

The police were called for an 'unresponsive' drive parked outside their house.
That means a passed out drunk.
Checked out, cuffed and arrested...

Our weather appears to be in a late February pattern now...

Ric
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2008
12:15 PM

Post #4481616

Good morning everyone!

Sorry I've been MIA so long - I've just been busy trying to keep up with life! lol Got cought up in seed catalogs and seed starting along with the normal duties of taking care of house and kids :-) We were all feeling a bit under the weather last week but everyone's feeling better this week.

Hildur Eva turned 5 on Jan 14th. She was a bit surprised by the fact that she hadn't grown noticably overnight. She asked me "Mom, are you sure I'm 5 now?" She thought she'd be bigger. lol

It started snowing on Jan 14th and we've had snow on the ground since then, despite two hefty rain storms. There's been quite a bit of snow to clear off the drive way - so I've been a bit busy with that too.

Today the skies are clear, the sun is out, it's fairly calm and FREEZING!!!! 14F. That's news material since we don't see temps like that every year. lol The old norse month of Thorri started last Friday and it's certainly living up to it's name as the coldest month of the year this time! lol The time of "spoiled food" feasts otherwise known as Thorrablt is upon us ... here's a link to last year's post about that delightful tradition (I'm not a fan but DH is ... I think it's a male thing ... lol) http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=3099264

Joey - so glad that JW is on the mend. That RS virus is a nasty one - it's been going around here too.

Great photos everyone! I'm so hopelessly behind that I don't have time to get caught up - it would take me the rest of the day ... and unfortunately I don't have the time ... This is the second time writing this post since I lost the first one! ARRRGHH I so hate it when that happens.

I'm contemplating whether I should go swimming today ... 14F does seem a bit nippy. On the other hand I really do need the exercise ...

This cloudy cought my eye this morning when I was putting out food for the birds ... I've been a bit busy with that too ... all these little things seem to add up to no computer time ... I'll try to keep up ;-) lol

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2008
1:58 PM

Post #4481804

Welcome back, Rann! LOL about Hildur Eva. I can't believe you're even thinking about swimming when it's 14 out! I know the water is heated, but still... brrrrrr! The picture is lovely. :-)

Thanks for starting the new thread, Sharon!

I'm glad the emergency wasn't anything awful, Ric.

Juri, bananas do indeed grow here. They very rarely fruit, at least without some significant care, because we do get under freezing a couple of times per year and bananas don't like that. If they can go three or four years in a row without freeze damage, they fruit. So if you want fruit, you plant them in a sheltered location and wrap the trunks in the winter when it is going to get cold. Otherwise, if you don't care about the fruit and you just want the plant for the tropical look, they are easy - you prune them hard every spring below the mushy freeze line on their trunk and let them grow back. They get 8-12+ feet tall easily in one season. We don't need to haul them inside in the winter.

We had another chilly front go through yesterday (hence the tornado watch.) We could hear thunder in the distance, but it didn't actually storm here. We did get a little rain, but nothing to write home about. It will be in the low 60s this afternoon.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CST (49 min ago)
Temperature 34 F 1 C
Dew Point 27 F -3 C
Humidity 75%
Pressure 30.34 in 1027.3 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 33.1F / 0.6C

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2008
2:06 PM

Post #4481827

Good Morning! :D We have 1/2" of frozen rain! But it is already warming up, so I don't think it will get much worse.
At Dublin...
Cloudy: 32F
Feels like: 26F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 30
Humidity: 93%
Visibility: 4 miles
Wind: 7 mph E
Sunrise: 7:26 AM
Sunset: 5:47 PM

Ric, Glad this "stuff" missed ya! So ... you had a "drunk" outside. Well thank goodness he had the sanity to pull over!
Rann, Glad to have you back! :D Sounds as if you have been very busy! But you have been sorely missed! Those are some Gorgoeus wavy clouds! :-O And LOL on the "guy thing", but I think that males in this country would turn up their noses...on the other hand, if one is starving...who knows what you would eat! :D
Dyson! There you are! How's it going?
Sharon, Thanks for the new thread...is Sidney having puter difficulty? And I think that Phil will see his shadow! (according to our channel 6 weather team). :D And LOL at Prissy! :D I can hear the snorting! :D
Kelli, That is some kind o contrast there in the lake & stream! It is really nice to see things flowing w/ water! :D I feel sure that it tickled you, since that is where you like to hike. :D Thanks for sharing! :D And the Aloe is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen! Wow!

The answer to the trivia is...C
Ancient Romans noticed the year's hottest days coincided with the Dog Star being near the Sun in the sky.

Todays trivia...
Occasionally you can see a vertical ray of light above a rising or setting Sun. This called a:
a) Sun spot
b) Sun dog
c) Sun pillar
d) Solar halo

Have a Great Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2008
3:23 PM

Post #4482090

morning everyone!

i will guess C this time LOL

thanks for the new thread!

se-eds, that wasn't psychology you used, that sounded like a good o'l threat of common sense LOL

baby in a better mood, time will tell...

tf
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2008
3:25 PM

Post #4482098

I'm guessing B, Joey. :-)
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 1, 2008
6:01 PM

Post #4482643

-7 8:30 and there's enough light out to see ~~ big gains from here on out.
Today
Mostly sunny. Areas of low clouds and fog in the morning near the Knik river. Highs zero to 10 above. Light winds.
Thanks for the new thread, MySharona. W/or w/out the groundhog there's 6 more weeks of winter in Alaska:)) We're going to the ice sculpture festival in March.
Little winter will be here come June; (just a silly phrase to describe summer, My Sharona:)) Love the photo.
Hi Rann~ and belated birthday wishes to Hildur Eva. Did you go swimming? Very pretty sky going on.
music2keep~ sun pillar~ glad to see the freezing rain won't last long.What mess to drive in. Love the snowcovered trees.
Ric~glad all's well~the weather change from day to day makes it worthwhile to keep extra seasonal clothing in the car.
TF~so nice to see that baby is doing better; eveyone in the family, too?
se-eds~how nice to have the help; and to fix a wonderful meal is always wonderful, for both the giver and reciever.
Marylynn~interesting to read about the banana plant.
Jet streak on the 18th. Not a frequent sight.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #4482649

Ric So glad nothing serious happened at your neighbors house.
Rann Welcome back! We missed you! I had to laugh about Hildur Eva shes so cute and kids say the funniest things! 14* does seem a little nippy for swimming LOL!! Very pretty cloud love the colors and texture. Glad yall are feeling better as well.
Joey Yes, Sidney is having some computer problems. I think Phil will see his shadow too. Im going with C on the trivia too. Look at all that snow! Wooo Hoooo! Had any snowball fights lately?

69.3 F / 20 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 52%
Dew Point: 54 F / 12 C
Wind: 5.0 mph / 8 km/hfrom the WSW
Wind Gust: 10.1 mph / 16 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa (Rising)
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 1900 ft / 579 m
Mostly Cloudy 3000 ft / 914 m
Mostly Cloudy 7500 ft / 2286 m
(Above Ground Level)

More clouds this morning

Thumbnail by MySharona

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2008
6:30 PM

Post #4482745

Got a new dog - she is mad at me cause I will not let her into the puter/office/junk room.

She will get over it.

39(F), stopped raining. Still ice on the trees.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2008
12:05 AM

Post #4483959

Thanks for the warm welcome you guys:-)

Marylyn and Sharon - thanks. She's still wondering about it - she said to me today that she still felt like she was 4 ... she found it very puzzling ... lol

Joey - I guess that awful food does serve as a reminder of what kept people alive up here through the past centuries ... I just can't eat the stuff. lol (Well not all of it is bad - the dried fish and smoked lamb are good ... it's just the "tangy" stuff I can't eat) As for the male thing ... I think the shark (which reaks of ammonia) is the "coolest" thing to eat. The preschools always have thorrafeasts for the kids - shark and all ... Hildur Eva's thoughts on the shark were "I like it but it smells so bad I couldn't eat it" ... I think that about sums it up. lol

Kiska - thanks for the birthday wish for Hildur Eva :-) Same to your grandson - the balloon filled room was very neat! :-) Yes I did go swimming and was very glad I did ... it was too cold for the school swimming so all the lanes were free :-) It wasn't as bad as I'd thought since it was pretty calm. They had to leave a stream of warm water running to keep an ice free path out to the pool ... the rest was too slippery to walk on ;-)

An update on the "big freeze" - it's down to 7F right now ... it's been years since it's gotten this cold here. Boy am I glad I wrapped the roses up this fall ... I had to mend a few of the shelters on Monday after a storm on Sunday had beaten them up a bit. The only thing I'm a bit worried about is my Japanese Maple. Anyone know how much cold they can take?

We saw some Northern Lights tonight when we were coming home - I decided to get the camera out and try to get a photo ... here's what I got :-) I had a bit of trouble since the auto focus wouldn't work (probably the cold) so I had to use the manual focus.

Have a good night everyone!

Rann

This message was edited Feb 2, 2008 12:14 AM

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2008
12:23 AM

Post #4484033

Dyson - What kind of dog is she? What is her name? Post a picture please!

59.5 F / 15.3 C
Clear
Humidity: 25%
Dew Point: 24 F / -5 C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Tonight
Clear and colder. Low 39. North winds becoming light.

Our sky this morning

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #4484059

We cross posted...
Rann - WOW!!! Great picture! Sorry clueless about the japanese maple.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #4484084

Sharon - beautiful sky :-) Thanks - I was really happy with how they turned out :-) I looked up the Japanese maple in plant files - it's should be able to take -10F so it should be ok ...
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2008
12:46 AM

Post #4484109

Rann: Wow! I've never seen the nothern lights. Thanks so much for getting the photo.
Joey: Geussing C on the trivia, and I am SO hoping Phil keeps his eyes closed! LOL.,
Sharon - our clouds looked just like yours this morning.
Kiska - Is that jet streak an unusual sight because there aren't many jets or because you don't get the contrails for some reason (That's probably a real dumb question.) ;>

Got up to 62 today, down to mid 30s tonight, but expectig upper 60s tomorrow! Yay. Had a good rain overnight, too.
Deb
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2008
1:10 AM

Post #4484193

Welcome back, Rann! We missed you. Awesome photo of the Northern Lights and also the other photo. That was so cute what Hildur Eva said about being 5! ☺☺☺
Lucky you, Sharon---69!! It does sound like Spring!! Pretty morning sky.
and you, too, Deb, at 62. We got up into the mid 50's at least but I don't think it made it into the 60's. Still, it was a beautiful day.
I loved the photos of the cardinals on the previous thread. We have several pair of cardinals that come to our feeder, too.

Joey, I am guessing B on the trivia.

TF, hope the little one is feeling better for his sake and yours.

Have a good evening, all!!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 2, 2008
1:20 AM

Post #4484237

minus 6 4pm; getting ready to take gd to her hockey game.
Tonight
Partly cloudy. Areas of fog after midnight.
Lows 5 to 15 below. Light winds
rann ~ great pic of the northern lights; glad you enjoyed the swim, too.
Deb~ Anchorage airport is extremely busy and is air-crossroads to the world (over the top; or across to Asia), so I think most jets are low, coming in to land, or just taking off at Anchorage, and perhaps that has something to do w/lack of contrails. The airport is only 50 miles from here.
MySharona~very pretty; looks to be getting a bit cool, too.
marsue~sounds faily nice there.
DD @ hockey game minus 10f
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 2, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #4484334

Sharon, thanks for the new thread!

Marylyn, it was very interesting to find out about banana growing in your state! Thank you!
I've seen banana at many gardens in Sochi. I noticied some small fruit on one of those once in August. And, actually, this January, I've seen the banana plant about 12ft over there, but it was not that much picturesque.

Rann, nice to see you back! Thanks for the wonderfull picture of Aurora Borealis! I'm really surprised you have it in Iceland! I do vividly recollect my Mom having said to me, that we were going to celebrate my 5-th birthday party. I thought then: "Oh wow, now I'm really grown up!" Lol.

Ric, are you joking!? Did you drink and drive!?

Deb, I've never seen the nothern lights too, though I live in Russia. Lol.

We have:

31F tonight, it's 4:41a.m.

It was snowing at 2:30, when I made the pic. But the snow stopped by now.

Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 2, 2008
1:49 AM

Post #4484349

Kiska, we crossposted, that's a beautifull snowy day in AK. Do people play hokkey on that rink, or do you skate there too?

That's a Kazan cathedral in SPb on my pic.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2008
2:10 AM

Post #4484459

It was kinda nice out today. Got above freezing. I was joking around at work saying we needed to break out the tank tops and shorts. lol

Currently: 30F Partly Cloudy
Currently: -1C Partly Cloudy
Wind: Southeast at 9 MPH
Humidity: 80%
Dewpoint: 25F
Barometer: 29.92 inches and
Wind Chill: 22F
Wind: Southeast at 14 KPH
Dewpoint: -3C
Barometer: 1013 millibars and
Wind Chill: -5 C
Sunrise: 7:25 am
Sunset: 5:40 pm
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 2, 2008
2:23 AM

Post #4484520

Pep, cool joke!!! It's good for health reasons! At least, I guess, some people, which I have seen on the bicycles here in winter might think.Lol.

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 2, 2008
2:25 AM

Post #4484528

One of the churches here.

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 2, 2008
2:27 AM

Post #4484539

I put the camera on the pavement for better focus. I left the tripod at home.

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2008
2:28 AM

Post #4484542

Beautiful church, G!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2008
2:29 AM

Post #4484543

Great pics Juri!!
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2008
2:32 AM

Post #4484553

I am glad we got the roof fixed yesterday when temps were almost in the 40's. We got a half inch of ice overnight. Today the temps got up to around 32 degrees by noon time, but it poured and rained all day. In a way this is good, as we had very minimal precipitation in January. It all sunk into the ground somehow.

Dyson, I am glad to hear you got a dog. Mine died last spring and I am thinking we need another one. It probably wont be as intelligent as my mini poodle puppy but I am thinking of a mini fox terrier. I would really want a border collie but we are not set up for one and we are too old to give it the exercise it needs. I had one as a child and they are sweet tempered intelligent dogs. I do not want a dumb dog. LOL

We are scheduled for a dry and sunny day tomorrow. Maybe I will make that trip to Harrisburg, I've been putting off for a week or more. I need to get out of the house, if you know what I mean.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2008
2:35 AM

Post #4484567

Dumb dogs are funny though! lol. You tell them to sit, they stand. You tell them to be quiet the yap some more. lol.
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 2, 2008
2:43 AM

Post #4484599

Seeds, my american friend's family had poodles three times! Those are agile and very affectionate dogs. Tender, just like kids!
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 2, 2008
2:45 AM

Post #4484609

SPb tonight. The Old Europe.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2008
2:50 AM

Post #4484619

That road looks better than the roads around here do this season when it snows. lol. I'll have to tell my coworkers that Russia takes better care of their roads. They will get a kick out of that. lol
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2008
2:50 AM

Post #4484639

Seeds: I'm so sorry you lost your dog. If you are looking for smart and good-natured breed, I recommend a Westie (West Highland Terrier) as another possibility. They are energetic, but one walk a day does it for pretty well for our Gus.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 2, 2008
2:52 AM

Post #4484647

Pep, it was around 3:00 a.m. Lol.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2008
3:04 AM

Post #4484702

Still...
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 2, 2008
3:11 AM

Post #4484731

Deb, I'll show that pic to that family, they lost their last poodle last year, when he ran across the road chasing the young dog. I real like the pic of that dog. What breed do you keep? My favorite is Alsatian dog. But my brother prefers Southern
shepherd. Here is the pic of his dog.

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 2, 2008
3:18 AM

Post #4484768

Pep, still and all Lol.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2008
3:30 AM

Post #4484815

LOL Juri.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2008
4:58 AM

Post #4485116

too cool, a weather report from Iceland with a cold spell!!!

we are surviving here. hope to get some sleep soon after the poor guy took a VERY late nap. otherwise guess it's late night tv or pc LOL

those northern lights werer just beautiful!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 2, 2008
5:45 AM

Post #4485242

Palmer, AK
Palmer Weather: -17.2 F
Just got home from taking the 5 year old G-D to hockey, at least it was indoors:) The rest of the family has traveled to Homer, Alaska, for a high school hockey tournament. It's about 400 miles from here.
After her hockey game, we stopped at Dairy Queen for ice cream...
KG~the rink pic is a hockey rink at a town about 150 miles from here. The high school team was there for a tourney. I don't skate but do fall:)
I love the photos of your city ~ very beautiful.
Deb~the photo of Gus is so sweet; does he know he lives with Diva Bonnie?
good night~~nearly 9pm here and it's tomorrow for some of my DG friends...
Kiska
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2008
11:09 AM

Post #4485515

Good morning!

Kiska - your 9 pm is 6 am here! :-)

It will be another sunny and calm day. It's very cold this morning - still around 7 - 12 F, last night's low was 5F. It hasn't gotten this cold here in years and there isn't enough hot water to go around to heat the houses. My mom just called and they're in the cold - there's only a trinkling of hot water at her house. The pools have closed to save water, so I guess I won't be going swimming today ... Fortunately for us - we have pleanty of heat. The pipeline to Hafnarfjrur isn't big enough to carry enough water when it's in such a high demand and there's not enough pressure in the system. Neighborhoods that are higher up aren't getting enough water. Maybe they weren't prepared for the fact that it still could get this cold here ... or didn't factor in the effect of new neighborhoods. Somebody hasn't been doing their job at least ... Fortunately it's supposed to warm up tomorrow :-)
Thanks for your compliments on the norther lights photo ... I hope I'll see more of them so I can get more photos ... it would be cool to get a photo away from the street lights. For some reason they've been a rare sight lately.

Debi - Gus is so adorably cute :-) Love that photo :-)

TF - I hope your little one will be feeling better and you get some sleep :-) I know, Iceland in a cold spell must be a hoot! lol It's just not supposed to get this cold here ... we have a maritime climate for goodness sakes! lol Just wet and coooooool, not fridgid!lol OK enough complaining we can hold out for one more day ;-)

KG - beautiful photos :-) There are some beautiful buildings over there :-)

Here's a snow photo from a while back - Jan 17th.

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2008
1:18 PM

Post #4485643

Juri Thanks for the snow pics! The Kazan Cathedral has quite a history. I remember it being closed for a long time then reopened in the early 1990s. It was turned into a museum at one point. Its a gorgeous building. Not a lot of people out at night, dont blame them in the cold though!
Pepper Nothing like some nice sultry weather to break out the summer gear!
Se_eds I get tired of being indoors too. Feel like a caged lion, get grumpy and fussy even if Im ill I cant stand it. Enjoy the trip into town!
Deb- Sir Gus! Hes such a handsome man!
Kiska - I fall too! LOL!
TF - Hope you little one feels better soon.
Rann- Another gorgeous picture!

http://www.groundhog.org/prediction/

You'll have to see for yourself! I'm not telling!

45.5 F / 7 C
Clear
Dew Point: 38 F / 3 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.30 in / 1026.0 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Sunny. High 65. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Local version of the groundhog! Which reminds me I need to get that tire swing down this weekend.

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2008
3:14 PM

Post #4485934

Yep the Ground Rodent saw his shadow...
So 6 more weeks... like a fat hamster can really tell! LOL!

Juri it was someone at my neighbor's house drunk and passed out.
We walk to the bar! LOL!
Oh and Bananas grow here too...

Rann...
The Japanese Maples will take 10 but they get tip burned.
Try spraying a little anti dessicant on the bark.
It helps to keep the wind damage down.
Also try for a sheltered spot.
Ours get the worst damage in Spring...
warmer temps...new growth...quick freeze... dead twigs

Funny weather yesterday.
Warm in the morning and rain.
Then the temps dropped out.
By 4 PM it was 27 and snowing..
It's 30 and Sunny now and going up to upper 40's.
If the Weather Guessers are right we should see 70 by Tuesday...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 2, 2008
3:24 PM

Post #4485979

6am Dark -
Sunrise 9:17 Sunset: 5:03 gain of 5m29seconds.
minus 8F
Today
Mostly cloudy in the morning...then becoming partly cloudy. Patchy fog along the Knik Arm in the morning.
Highs 5 below to 5 above. North wind 10 mph.
good afternoon rann:) Glad you're getting enough heat; so sorry about those w/out it. That's something that we wouldn't have realized; nice to be getting the local/personal experience. The bench in the photo looks to be a very nice place to sit and take in the view.
MySharona~cute little "groundhog" you've got; has it been chewing the rope on the swing?
ric~up and down weather; never boring:) Love seeing the green, too. I'm also posting a summer pic.
From summer:
The dark brown form at the end of the currants, hard to see, is a moose. On the boardwalk, along the house, is our cat, Holly. She's stalking the moose.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #4486376

Kiska, that is one brave kitty LOL

Ric, we should see 70 TODAY, bet you will be gald to see it too. All our fowl like the cold weather but not the frozen ponds...

MySharona, did your squirrel see a shadow? I bet winter is over for you now, and just beginning here.

Maybe we will see some precipitation this spring [we will according to the almanac]. We have had a lot of fires lately.

Rann, DH & i loved the northern lights, kiddos didn't quite understand why they can't see those here LOL. But they LOVED the snow picture, they love anything from ICeland LOL. Sam says it looked "yummy, makes me want a bowl full". a few years back we had enough snow to make ice cream...

Happy Febrauary everybody!

tf
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2008
6:18 PM

Post #4486675

Thanks Kiska - yes I've often sat on that bench when I've been on walks with the girls ... it's just at the end of our street ;-)

TF - lol. We've never tried "snow treats" - according to Kiska they're very good. I never think of it when the snow is fresh ... I was always told NOT to eat the snow when I was a kid. lol My girls were very impressed with the auroa last night. They haven't seen much of them up until now since they're usually in bed before they make an appearance. They were unusually early last night - around 6:30 pm.

LOL - Sharon - cute squirrel ;-)

Ric - thanks for the info on the maple. It's in a very sheltered position from the north wind so I'm hoping it'll do OK. I've always put a light burlap shelter around it just in case but since the past winters have all been so mild I didn't bother with it this year ... go figure.

Here's another snow pic - I got pleanty of those now ;-) lol This open area is at the end of our street and the girls love to play there both in winter and summer. There's a sleding slope by the lower right hand corner of the photo (close to the bench in the first photo) and the lava field is filled with "elve rocks" (according to the girls) and fun hiding places in summer. They're not allowed to go there this time of year since it's slippery and there can be holes hidden beneath the snow they can step into.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2008
6:27 PM

Post #4486703

Kiska: -17 and you are eating ice cream???!!!!!! LOL Also, didn't you post a link to Northern Lights on one of the previous posts?
Deb: that photo of Gus makes me want a little Gus. He is so cute!!
What a banana tree, Ric! How do you shelter it in the winter?
George: more beautiful buildings!

It's already 59 on our backporch. Looks like the temp will exceed the forecast. ☺☺☺ A beautiful sunshiney day!
Today: Sunny. High 58F. Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph.
Tonight: Partly cloudy skies during the evening giving way to a few showers after midnight. Low 44F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 30%.

I think this is a Gulf Frit.

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2008
7:18 PM

Post #4486872

Sue,
Before we cut it off about 1.5' above ground that was it.
They are hardy to at least 30 miles north of us.
We're trying a new method this year.
Same cut but 3' of leaves in a cage and a plastic top.
My shot was end of season.
This shot, musa grown the new way, end of July
(not me BTW)
Ric

This message was edited Feb 2, 2008 2:19 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 2, 2008
8:19 PM

Post #4487089

11am and now up to -2F ; time for more ice cream:) Link to Northern Lights:
http://www.fairbanks-alaska.com/northern-lights-alaska.htm
rann~with fresh snow just scoop up a bowl full and add chocolate syrup and enjoy. It certainly would be dangerous playing in the lava fields.
marsue ~ love the summery pic and seeing warm temperature posted.
Ric ~ it's just beautiful ~ the only time I've seen one was in Orlando a few years ago; very impressive.
Last year's moose pic.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 2, 2008
11:05 PM

Post #4487731

Sharon, have you been to St-Petersburg at that time? Good info!

Ric, I'm happy, it was not you losing the driving license! Lol.

Rann, you have a beautifull country! One of my former Gillette colegues said once to me: " If I ever go abroad, after Great Britain- it's gonna be Iceland. It's probably the last country left, where I won't find Russians! Lol. I join him in his concept.
I'm not a typical ~"Russian"~ Lol. Thanks for the wonderfull account of your country!

Marsue, more coming!

Kiska, I love hockey! I wish the US teem to beat Swedes, sometimes. Lol.

It' 38.7F today.
The white snow has gone, alas.

It's

This message was edited Feb 2, 2008 8:11 PM

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 2, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #4487734

The dusk on marshes...

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 2, 2008
11:12 PM

Post #4487745

The view on one of the canals. I just took a walk to the supermarket. I hate using my car. ( Ecological protest).

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 2, 2008
11:14 PM

Post #4487754

The Rossi pavilion in the twilight.

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 2, 2008
11:15 PM

Post #4487760

The little bridge.

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 2, 2008
11:17 PM

Post #4487766

The Marble palace.

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2008
12:06 AM

Post #4487952

Kiska - I forgot to mention it earlier - Holly stalking the moose always makes me laugh! lol She's a very brave cat at heart ;-) lol I keep meaning to treat the girls to some fresh snow, but by the time I remember it it's always too late ... someday :-)

Juri - thanks! :-) I really enjoy your photos from St. Petersburg.

Ric - that's a very impressive banana plant! :-)

The front yard Jan 17th

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #4487957

Ric Beautiful banana plant!
Kiska No, The rope is going bad and its not used anymore. Time for it to come down. Little Holly is so fierce protecting her porch! Shes pretty, looks like Baxters mama.
TF Winter isnt over yet. We usually get a couple more blasts in February.
Rann - The circle of clouds looks like the northern lights circle! Thats a pretty picture and it looks like a great spot to walk (not in the snow though!). Are those apartments?
Kiska Great close up of the moose. Will they be hanging out in July?!
Juri No Ive never been to Russia. I had the chance once in the late 70s but my dad said no. I went to school in Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK. Why is it called the Marble Palace?

52.5 F / 11 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 67%
Dew Point: 42 F / 6 C
Pressure: 30.27 in / 1024.9 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Few 25000 ft / 7620 m
(Above Ground Level)

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Areas of fog developing. Low 52. Northeast winds 5 mph.

Going back to October ... one of my GF's on Lady Margaret

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2008
12:09 AM

Post #4487961

Rann - We crossed again :) I'm surprised any plant survives the snow coverage!
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 3, 2008
12:30 AM

Post #4488012

Sharon, about the Marble palace, here is the link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marble_Palace
I've been to GB several times! I love it!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2008
1:18 AM

Post #4488208

It was nice out today. Took advantage of it and went to the movies and saw 27 Dresses. Funny movie. :~)

Currently: 39F Clear
Currently: 3C Clear
Wind: North at 0 MPH
Humidity: 60%
Dewpoint: 27F
Barometer: 30.06 inches and
Wind: North at 0 KPH
Humidity: 60%
Dewpoint: -2C
Barometer: 1018 millibars and
Sunrise: 7:25 am

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2008
1:34 AM

Post #4488280

Sharon it's the snow that allows the plant survival.
It acts as an insulator.
That's what so bad about the weather here in Cincy.
Usually during the deepest cold we don't have snow.

Well today was beautiful but still a bit cold.
I think we hit 40 but man the Sun felt good..
I went out and straightened up the yard after the wind storm the other day.
Got a trashcan full of twigs/limbs for the chimenea plus a 4" thick 15' limb.
I'll have to get chainsaw out for that one.
Stuck all the leaning torches and hooks back in the ground.
Restacked the wood for construction.
Then we had to beef up the privacy doors on the Hot Tub.
The wind riped the hook and eye closure out and bent the hinges.
So we ripped some wood down and refaced it.
Painting will wait for another FAR warmer day.

Juri the pictures are fantastic!

Kiska gotta love that Moose stalking Cat.
Hope she never catches it.
We have enough problems w/ them dragging home mice...
Ric

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 3, 2008
2:40 AM

Post #4488573

Ric - LOL. Picturing the cat dragging a moose up to the doorstep.
The good news is that the southern counterpart to Phil, whose name is Gen. Beauregard (he is a Georgia ground hog) did NOT see his shadow today. So...early spring! I choose to believe Beau.

Sir Gus says thanks for the nice compliments. He says he's much more handsome now that he's had a haircut. personally I perfer his "scruffy" look.

George: The Southern Sheperd looks like a nice big dog! To answer your question, we have Gus, who's a Westie and Bonny (the diva), who's a Scottish Terrier. Bonny is very smart but extremely stubborn. Love that "little bridge" and all your pics of StP.

Kiska - Thanks for the northern lights link.

We had a lovely day today - somewhere in the 60s and sunny. Spent hours outdoors. So nice to do that. Light freeze expected tonight then low 60s tomorrow. Ahh. Spring's coming - I just know it! (Here's an Azalea bud I spotted this morning, as proof.)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2008
3:23 AM

Post #4488713

Hello Everybody! We hit 51 today! Now That makes me want spring to already be here! :D The sun was so nice & warmmmm. Me & DH went for a little trip up on Peters Mountain. But that wasn't the real excitement for the day...Someone that lives on the other side of the mountain had this for us to see...

1st pic...

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2008
3:25 AM

Post #4488720

Now, Sharon, I know that Isaboo is a good sized kitty, but this one!...

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2008
3:27 AM

Post #4488726

And poor little (60 lb.) Jack would be no match.

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2008
3:43 AM

Post #4488766

Jack went out the door yesterday & immediately turned around & ran back in...We have heard "caterwallin" behind us for 2 springs. Our neighbor has discussed it with us & we have decided that the big cat is what we have...Does anyone have a clue as to how far they travel? I have seen big cat tracks down on the river (Bluestone Reservoir), but that was 10 miles away from here. Sorry y'all. I can't stop thinkin' about it. I'm wanderin' if that's why my brothers dog is missing.

Kiska, I would much rather see Holly after the calf than this big cat.

On a much lighter note..

These rare sun pillars are produced by the reflection of sunlight off of falling hexagon-shaped ice crystals.

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2008
4:22 AM

Post #4488870

Now THAT CAT could stalk a moose!

Joey,
Looks like a couple of cats/30 square miles.
So large travel, few cats.
They are there for the deer.

My cousins live and hike in Boulder, CO where they are fairly common.
They've had them on their deck too.
It's 2 stories up.
Here's their advice.
Just make a LOT of noise when you're out walking.
They'll run away.
If attacked or stalked which is extremely rare... like lightning strike rare...
Get Big and Loud, but give them room to escape.
By Big ...stand tall, flap or open your jacket or shirt and raise it over your head.
Like an w/ an agressive dog YOU be the boss.
ALSO
Never let them get behind you.
If attacked fight back.
Eyes, belly and nose are their weak points.
Never crouch or 'Play Dead'.

Only 5 attacks are reported in American and Canada a year.
Those in prey starved areas...

I'm sure you have nothing to worry about but anything from deer size down...
I'd call the rangers there to let them know about it.

We're starting to get a lot of coyotes and the occasional bear.
But if they're in WV they'll be popping up here and I hope they get here soon.
We need some serious Deer control.

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 3, 2008
4:44 AM

Post #4488921

Mountain lions can travel a good ways. I don't remember the numbers, but I don't think 10 miles is excessive, especially if prey is scarce or when it is a young one looking to find territory of its own.

Here is an article that needs to be updated. http://www.newanimal.org/ecougar.htm

This message was edited Feb 2, 2008 8:49 PM

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2008
5:14 AM

Post #4488986

Thanks Ric! And Kelli!
Ric, I will try to remember all of that useful info. I have also started paying more attention to Jack. When I go into the woods, he goes w/ me. Altho, twice he left me up there. The 1st time I could see him, but he was way down the hill (1/4 mi.) w/ my neighbor. That's when we started talking about the cats. The second time he left me (& didn't realize that he had gone back to the house), I heard a low growl that gave me cold chills! I was cutting greenbrier w/ little hand clippers. I slowly worked my way to the house & stayed there!
Kelli, I shall get to readin'! There are plenty of wild game for a big cat to eat around here. Thanks! :D

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 3, 2008
10:03 AM

Post #4489374

OMG, Joey, that's a scary cat! Please, take care, especially of little JW!
Rann, great pics!
Ric, good advice on the big cat...coyotes are dangerous, also the bear, do take care! Our guard at teh new house told us he saw a wild pork, coming down the road...DH said he just drank too much and he really saw a rat!LOL Still the forrest isn't that far...grrrrr! Love the banana tree in your yard...have you read Jill's(critterologist) article about it?
Deb, I'd like to believe Beau too! Beautiful azaleea! Gus is a cutie!
Sharon, wonderful Lady Margret, I love it! Beautiful skies! Can't figure out what that is, a sconcs?
Kiska, wonderful sight of the jet! Your DD plays hockey too?
George, SP is amasing at night! Cute "doggie"! I'll post a few of Bucharest at night I took during the holidays, so you can see more.
This is the building of a bank.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 3, 2008
10:05 AM

Post #4489375

Downtown with the lighted tree.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 3, 2008
10:06 AM

Post #4489376

A store.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 3, 2008
10:07 AM

Post #4489377

A confectionery.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2008
1:30 PM

Post #4489539

We have a very heavy frost this morn. It is 17 dgrees going on 38. Tomorrow it is going to be in th 50s!!!!
That cat looks scarry but beautiful. You don't know what is out in some of these woods even in Illinois. BEV
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2008
1:53 PM

Post #4489599

Joey: That 'cat' is big and scary!! I certainly wouldn't want those teeth sinking into my flesh! We used to live in the country and had all sorts of critters, including a bear, come near our house. However, the fiercest thing we have to deal with now that we live in town is those frisky squirrels that run along our back fence. LOL
Adina and George: I love seeing your photos of your respective cities and all the beautiful buildings.
Bev: I hate to tell you this but we are predicted to have a high of 74 tomorrow! Unfortunately, it will cool down again later in the week. :o((
Deb: I'm envious of your azalea bud. I looked around my flowerbeds yesterday but, alas, I could find nothing blooming. I wish I had a place for azaleas but the only shady place I have is behind our storage shed and along the north side of the house.
Sharon, what kind of flower is the Lady Margaret? Is it some sort of daisy?
Kiska, I got a laugh out of your cat stalking the moose!! LOL

Today: Cloudy with occasional rain showers. Thunder possible. High 57F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Tonight: A few showers this evening with overcast skies overnight. Low 54F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #4489720

Marsue, Thats alright. Before long I will be hollering about the 90s and the humidity that we have. LOL BEV
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2008
2:49 PM

Post #4489805

We have that down here, too, Bev. We can commiserate together come summer! LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2008
4:00 PM

Post #4490074

Adina and George... I have to agree WONDERFUL Shots!
Adina I hadn't seen Jill's article I'll search it out THANKS!

34 Calm and Sunny!
Going for the low 50's!
UPPER 60's by Tuesday!
Then Snow and cold moves in... LOL!

Here's our GH Plants... 'looking' out the window
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2008
4:46 PM

Post #4490274

Here is the way it looks this morn. It is 27 now going up! up! up! Bev

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #4490279

That was Holly & this is Blue Spruce.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2008
4:50 PM

Post #4490286

And this is Pine. The sun is out and the frost is falling!!!

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2008
5:48 PM

Post #4490496

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're out in light jackets...soaking up the rays!

39 and climbing!

Ric
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2008
5:54 PM

Post #4490517

Howdy all,
I really appreciate Sharon starting this thread for us. I wasn't sure I could have a computer while mine was in the hosp., taking advantage of that expensive warranty renewal I paid for last year.
I have been here time and again and something happens between text and send.
Joey, that big cat was scary. I too would have concern for Jack. Henry wouldbe gonners imediately with his attack now, ask questions later attitude.
Have enjoyed all your pictures and and it's going to be an early spring here.
I'm planting tomatoes today.
;)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 3, 2008
6:12 PM

Post #4490559

Adina, a wild pig would scare me more than a mountain lion, maybe even more than a bear. I think that comes from reading "Old Yeller" as a kid. That's a story where a dog gets attacked by a wild pig.

Very nice pictures, D-fly.

We got 0.8" of rain this morning.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 9:51 AM PST on February 03, 2008
48 F / 9 C
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 96%
Dew Point: 47 F / 8 C
Wind: 8 mph / 13 km/h / 3.6 m/s from the SE

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 3, 2008
6:41 PM

Post #4490688

Strong wind Monday afternoon through late Monday night...
Today
Sunny. Areas of fog in the morning. Highs 5 below to 5 above. Light winds becoming north 5 to 15 mph.
Tonight
Clear. Lows 10 to 25 below. North wind 5 to 15 mph. Local gusts to 30 mph toward morning
As of 9this morning, it's -26F in the Butte, which is south about 3 miles from here. It is lower than here on Lazy and gets much colder. We are at -12F. Sure hope it gets up to -5:)
Kiska
Good morning; life is busy:)))
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 3, 2008
9:24 PM

Post #4491168

Joey, I like your "pussy tomcat". Lol.

Adina, thanks for sharing! The gorgeous Bucharest!

We had real strong winds today. I didn't go out. You know, wind brings virii (viruses) Lol.
But I dared to go out to make some pics, when it faded. We have some water level increase in the Neva river. But not that much.

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 3, 2008
9:26 PM

Post #4491175

The building on the embankment.

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 3, 2008
9:28 PM

Post #4491182

The TV tower zoomed.

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 3, 2008
9:32 PM

Post #4491194

Ice flowes

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 3, 2008
9:36 PM

Post #4491211

On the steps to water of the Neva river tonight.

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2008
9:59 PM

Post #4491320

Ric I see sort of (about the snow acting as an insulator)!
Deb There is an azalea bush at work that already has blooms on it. Ill take a picture tomorrow. They are so pretty.
Joey We have bobcats here especially in the Greenway (not a lot though). Hes a beauty. Boo is only 7lbs, but she has a huge cattitude! Callie is about 10lb.s and Sylvester weighs in at a whopping 22lbs. Thats why hes my hunka chunka burnin love!
Adina Thats one of our squirrels! They are so cute, we havent had any problems with them. The lights are so pretty! Do they stay up year round? I also like the look of the confectioners yummy!
Marsue- Its a passion vine. Here is a link to it. Im still cutting it back some. Ive found some GF caterpillars and one in the process of pupae. Obviously Im going to be very careful to not disturb the cats. Ill post a picture. It is the host plant for GF butterflies and cats. Here is a link to Lady Margaret
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57444/
Bev Pretty pictures, but Brrrrrrrrrrrr!
Juri More great pictures! Thank you for sharing with us!

61.7 F / 16 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 54%
Dew Point: 43 F / 6 C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3 km/hfrom the NE
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10 km/h
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa (Falling)
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4000 ft / 1219 m
Scattered Clouds 9000 ft / 2743 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m
(Above Ground Level)

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Areas of fog developing. Lows in the lower 50s inland...in the mid 50s coast. Southeast winds 5 mph shifting to the southwest after midnight.

We got up to 68* this afternoon. I did more trimming on Lady M. and started some seeds.

Thumbnail by MySharona

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2008
10:13 PM

Post #4491373

Had rain, thunder and sleet this morning in one storm. Was at Wally World when it hit. When I left a guy behind me said it rained lumps. lol. The ground was lumpy from the sleet. That struck me as kinda funny. lol

Now we just have a drizzle. Much needed moisture for the ground.

Currently: 36F Drizzle
Currently: 2C Drizzle
Wind: East-Northeast at 9 MPH
Dewpoint: 34F
Barometer: 29.80 inches and
Wind Chill: 29F
Wind: East-Northeast at 14 KPH
Dewpoint: 1C
Barometer: 1009 millibars and
Wind Chill: -1 C
Sunrise: 7:24 am
Sunset: 5:41 pm

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 3, 2008
10:50 PM

Post #4491495

Pep, one more for you!

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2008
11:03 PM

Post #4491555

Hey, your road's clear again! LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #4491577

I agree w/ Kelli Wild Pigs are much more dangerous.
I've hunted them...
my G-Uncle had a 125 stich scar from a gun mis-fire when he was a boy.
Seriously fierce animals.

We had a wonderful day working outside.
I hope I get some time to do a little cleanup outside at work tomorrow... lol!

Ric
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2008
12:13 AM

Post #4491829

I forgot to mention that I saw a Robin this morning!

56.7 F / 13 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 78%
Dew Point: 49 F / 10 C

Back to the game!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 4, 2008
12:48 AM

Post #4491956

Clear. Lows 10 to 25 below.
North wind 5 to 15 mph.
Local gusts to 30 mph toward morning.
music2keep~certainly seems as if that is one big cat in your neighborhood..very scary.
Adina~the photos are beautiful. My DD does not play hockey; her 3 children and husband do, though.
Bev~your trees/frost are gorgeous.
KG~once again, your city pics are so beautiful; thanks so much.
MySharona~glad you saw a robin; that's a sure sign of things to come.
Ric~how awful for your G-uncle.
A few eagles down at Homer. My family was there for hockey tournament and my DH took this.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #4492006

Kiska, That shot of those eagles is great. It would be nice to see them. We very seldom see one. BEV Oh! 34 degrees and still raining.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2008
1:43 AM

Post #4492233

kiska, it was -17 degrees and you stopped for ice cream on your way home from the hockey game?!!!

Kashtan, love the picture of the Marble Palace. Must be an extraordinary place with its various types of marble. Probably the only place in the world like that. Your night photos are really nice. I have not learned to take night pictures yet.

The little Westmoreland terriers are so cute. I am still looking and need to find some home breeders. My son breeds black and silver German Shepherds but they are too large for a house dog.

Joey - the cougar pictures are scary, They were native to Pennsylvania in the 1890's and were known as mountain lions, panthers or pumas. I understand a few have been sighted up in the northern border with New York State.

Our large nuisance animal is the Pa. Black Bear. Their population has exploded in the last 3/4 years. Some of our dumber residents feed them suet cakes in the wintertime. If I see them in my yard, I will feed them something a little more substantial. The game warden is kept busy trapping and relocating them.

We have experienced an extraordinary day! After what has seemed to be weeks of grey, grey weather, wind, ice and rain, we had an early spring day with temps of about 45 degrees, and SUNSHINE! - There is hope for the world.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2008
2:12 AM

Post #4492327

Enjoying the variety of photos today! Ice and snow at one end...little GF caterpillars at the other.
Pretty city pics in between. And that Mntn. Lion! "Heeere kitty, kitty."

Well we had a gorgeous day. High was 68F and it was so sunny. I got some work done outside. Communed with the birdies. Ahhh. I so wish it would stay this way. Low tonight, only 47, and upper 60s again tomorrow, they say. Wish I didn't have to go to work.

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #4492349

I don't wanna go back to work tomorrow either. lol
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 4, 2008
2:23 AM

Post #4492381

se-eds~sounds wonderful today. After trapping the bears, how far away are they relocated? Just think, the ice cream was much warmer than the temperature:))
minus 5 as the sun is setting at 5 pm. Due to get a bit colder by morning.
Deb~love the gymnastics of the bird; sure has a grip there. Also sounds nice in SC.
Wish you both could take the day off:)
Along the Sterling Hwy, to Homer, Alaska

This message was edited Feb 3, 2008 5:24 PM

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 4, 2008
2:26 AM

Post #4492391

Homer, Alaska
End of the road down on the Homer Spit. A beautiful setting for the town.

Thumbnail by kiska

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2008
2:31 AM

Post #4492417

Kiska - it certainly is. What a place your Alaska is!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 4, 2008
2:34 AM

Post #4492425

Deb I hope you can come see, too.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2008
4:00 AM

Post #4492844

Kiska...Here's a link to a song by Ellis Paul about a bar called Alice's Champagne Palace in Homer Alaska.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxM7kDloK8Y

Alice's Champagne Palace
from the album American Jukebox Fables

You take a rickety plane
from Seattle up into Anchorage
You step on the concrete
gazing at the midnight sun

Jump in my pickup
and we'll drive
Bring your troubles
down highway nine

I got a pullout couch
and a job lined up at the cannery
Catch a ride to Homer, Alaska,
brother, the drinks will be on me

(chorus)
We'll raise a glass
lift a chalice
Welcome to Alice's Champagne Palace
The finest bar on the strip in Homer, Alaska
If you're from New York, LA, Dallas,
you'll find a home at the Champagne Palace
Alice will pour you a cold one
You go ahead and ask her,
if you're running away to Alaska

Now the mountains rise from ocean to sky
in Homer, Alaska
And they'll steal your breath
and your troubles in the blink of an eye
You'll hear a band with a steel guitar
there's a window seat right at the bar

The whales are breeching
And Alice is preaching
"Like a Rolling Stone"
She'll push a mason jar
across the bar and say,
"Mister, welcome home"
(chorus)

You've never been to
a prettier place than Homer, Alaska
You'll never find a kinder face
than the one behind the bar
Homer's a town full of misfit toys,
renegade women, runaway boys
Everybody's got a
story here in Homer Town
I guess sometimes you gotta go
to the end of the earth
just to turn yourself around
(chorus)

Copyright Ellis Paul Publishing SESAC

Well...The stupid groundhog saw its shadow! It's still winter here. ;-(

Photo...Basketball Ballet...at my daughters basketball game.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 4, 2008
4:23 AM

Post #4492934

eb~love the photo and title. The action is great. How long has she played?
The song about Homer is right on:)) Will check out the youtube site.
Across Cook Inlet, near Homer, is this volcano.
Mt. Redoubt if I'm not mistaken.

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2008
11:01 AM

Post #4493305

Kiska What a treat to see several eagles at close range! They are beautiful. Great picture!
Se_eds So glad you got to see some sun! I know you feel better for it.
Deb Great picture! What type of zoom do you have? I dont want to go back to work today either. Its going to be beautiful this week. I feel some Spring Fever coming on! LOL!
Kiska- Homer does have a beautiful setting! Wow! Is the volcano still active?

57.0 F / 13.9 C
Fog
Dew Point: 55 F / 13 C
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 0.1 miles / 0.2 kilometers

Dense fog advisory in effect until 10 am EST this morning...

Today
Partly cloudy. Widespread dense fog in the morning. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times. High 74. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

The remaining buds have fallen off the Christmas cactus. Boo is grumpy this morning, she's not a morning cat - needs to go back to sleep!

Thumbnail by MySharona

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2008
12:08 PM

Post #4493355

Dense Fog out, only in mid 30s.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2008
1:51 PM

Post #4493696

Mornin' All! We are at 42 & a little cloudy. Phil may have seen his shadow, but this weeks forcast is way more like spring. Tomorrow "they" say it will be up to 70!
At Dublin...
Fog: 37F
Feels like: 37F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 37
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: 0 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:24 AM
Sunset: 5:50 PM

Well the family is fairly perturbed...about the cat pics. The guy that said he "took" those pics...he down loaded them from the internet! There even was an article in the Roanoke Times about it! http://www.roanoke.com/outdoors/wb/149414 A lot of people are PO'd at him! Needless to say he is on every body's "poop List"!
I know that there are some here (visible evidence & the smell!)...& when Jack won't go outside on a pretty day! (or he sniffs the air & runs back inside) and I here a low "growling" (gives me cold chills) in the woods behind me...Ric & Kelli thanks for the info. I will use it!
Thank you all, for you concern. :)

E_B, pretty neat song! And pretty neat Basketball Ballet! :D
Sharon, Great looking succulents! :D And we have the bob cats...have seen & heard many!
Kiska, your pics are Wonderful! I love the one of the volcano! Wow! A beautiful setting Indeed! :D And Love the "up close & personal" pic of hte eagles! :D
Juri, Great Pics! Such a fantastic visit! :D
Adina! Wow!
Deb, Your pic is very Springy! :D Pretty

Todays trivia is...
To measure how far away lightning strikes (in miles), count the seconds between the lightning and thunder and divide by:
a) 2
b) 4
c) 5
d) 10

Have a Great Day! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2008
2:21 PM

Post #4493800

Joey - I'm not sure of the trivia - so wild guess C

The fog is so thick here, less than 1/10 of a mile
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2008
2:27 PM

Post #4493822

Overcast and "moist" (humid)here at the present
Thunderstorms coming in tomorrow.

Current conditions as of 8:01 am CST

Cloudy
Feels Like: 66
Barometer: 29.86 in and steady
Humidity: 94%
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 64
Wind: S 6 mph
Sunrise: 7:05 am
Sunset: 5:39 pm
66 High: 71 Low: 61

I'll be back later to read the posts and comment. I may have to go buy a new mouse--mine is not wanting to operate correctly. :o((
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2008
2:36 PM

Post #4493862

I'll say 'A' Joey since I always thought it was one second. You just can't trust those Girl Scout things anymore. I'm sure the new time/distance measure is more acurate.
I imagine that fellow has not read the story about the boy that hollered "Wolf". Making noise while walking also moves out snakes.
Bev, I too enjoyed the winter wonderland pictures.
And Juri your tour of St Petersburg are beautiful.
Adina I enjoyed yours of Bucharest too.
I also saved several of Kiska's for the owner of this borrowed Lap top.
And the bird and critters pictures are terrific.
EB, you have a great name for a bad picture, LOL. The girls are best left out of focus I agree. BB is my favorite sport. Daddy was a BB coach in small schools in Texas. Several near where TF lives now.
Well the ground hog didn't see his shadow yesterday morning here.
I think if he was out for an afternoon romp he did.
We are nearing a 75º today.
Going to be warm week.
;)

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2008

Post #4494072

It is 42 degrees and so foggy that you cannot see a block away. Going to lift by noon and then rain some more. Goody goody!!! BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2008
3:37 PM

Post #4494121

Oh, Bev be very careful.
Sidney
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2008
3:59 PM

Post #4494196

the kids loved the pictures, good break from their schooling. they get to do extra catch up work, while DH is still sick and i am getting it. baby is better except his tummy ;-(

we are under a wildfire warning here, and a wind advisory. with a winter advisory to the West and a Blowing Snow advisory to the North! got to 70 yesterday, close to that today. how is that for interesting weather???!!! We should get a mix of snow and rain tonight and tomorrow morning, then warm up again :-)

i'm getting ancy about starting seeds, just need more energy and time. the front entry gathered a lot of dust & junk the last two years that i didn't use it!

wishing everyone wellness and good weather to boot!

tf
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 4, 2008
4:03 PM

Post #4494209

-17F dark 7am But; could be worse, it's minus 30F just a few miles down the road.
This is from Fairbanks now:
Fairbanks /Ft. Wainwright -44 F / -42 C Mostly Cloudy 6:43 AM AKST
Fairbanks -43 F
Will get back later; take care out there in the fog.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #4494350

Good morning! It's warm here again. It's going to be pushing 80 this afternoon. Tomorrow we're having another chilly front (with rain, of course) push through, but it's not going to be quite as chilly as the last one (which wasn't as chilly as the one before). The Mexican plum tree is just starting to bud, so spring is almost here!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 9:53am CST (46 min ago)
Temperature 73 F 23 C
Dew Point 64 F 18 C
Humidity 73%
Pressure 29.94 in 1014 mb
Wind Speed 21 MPH 18 kts
Wind Dir S 170
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 77 F 25 C
Current Conditions Mostly Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 70.0F / 21.1C
clerkie56
Iberia, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2008
5:01 PM

Post #4494448

Everyone has great pictures the one with the Eagles was great!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope eveyone is doing good. We had snow thursday maybe 2 or 3 inches all gone now. It's 68 out this morning sunshine and windy. To nice a day to have to go to work. They are saying snow flurries tomarrow night with thunderstorms tomarrow . One thing about Mo. if you don't like the weather stick around an hour or two and it will change. Our snow while it lasted was great. Our granddaughter made about 8 snow angels so she could show her grear grandpa how it was done. He said he didn't even like the thought of laying in the snow he would just watch. Everyone have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 4, 2008
7:16 PM

Post #4494958

Sharon, a squirrel, so cute! I just received this and wanted to share it with you!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 4, 2008
7:19 PM

Post #4494963

Kiska, great shot of the eagles !
My Christmas Cactus finally bloomed one bloom !

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2008
7:20 PM

Post #4494970

LOLOL Adina!! That is adorable!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2008
9:33 PM

Post #4495470

Too many pictures to comment on, but nice ones.

Thunder, lightning and very little rain this morn. It made it to 38* and it's been foggy all day.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2008
10:13 PM

Post #4495636

Adina, your Christmas cactus must have put all its energy into that one bloom--that is beautiful!! Cute pic of the pup and the baby. :o))
Joey, I'm guessing "a" for the trivia---and even if the "cat" photos came off the internet, it is still scary to think about having one in your area.
Deb: I love seeing those pics of the birds at your feeder.
Kiska: I was amazed at seeing those eagles so close to where people live. We have them here in Arkansas but not in populated areas.
clerkie: cute story about your granddaughter and the snow angels.
TF: wishing you and your entire household wellness!!
Sharon: another pretty succulent--they seem to do quite well for you. The only succulent I have had any experience with is "hens and chicks" and, oh yes, aloe.

It's been a nice day with periods of sunshine in between periods of cloudiness. It's 74 on my backporch right now which is unseasonably warm. We have had a little wind most of the day, though. Storms on the way for tonight and tomorrow
:o((

This is what one of our lasagna beds looked like today. I just planted the red crape myrtle today. It was a bargain find at Wal Mart on Saturday. The daylilies are in a pot buried in the mulch. I will take them out of the pot and plant them once Spring arrives. The flower bed in the background has three tree roses in it which I have wrapped with plumbers foam for the winter.

Thumbnail by marsue

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2008
10:28 PM

Post #4495695

Well the fog just left here thank goodness. It is 55 degrees right now with no wind. Can you belive it was this cold just yesterday? This cardinal can't. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2008
10:43 PM

Post #4495759

Good evening everyone!

Wow ! it's really warming up for a lot of you in the southern part of the US. It "warmed" up a bit here too it was "only" 21F yesterday and today we had a high of 30F. It didn't feel like it though since there was a rather stiff breeze blowing this afternoon so it felt really cold. The pool was open again today and I don't think I've ever been so cold in my life ... although it was "only" about 28F when I was there the wind chill was brutal ... got a "brainfreeze" tip-toeing (because of the slippery, icy tiles) from the pool to the hot tub. Still, I had a nice swim so I guess it was worth it ... it took me a while to muster up the courage to get out of that pool though ... ;-) lol

I went on a walk with the girls yesterday afternoon in sunny, calm 21F weather and it was so wonderful :-) Unfortunately the battery in the camera was dead so no photos :-(

Sharon Rics right. If it werent for the snow cover Id be really worried about a lot of my plants with this hard frost we have now! Theyre all snug and cozy beneath the snow ;-)

Adina great photos :-)

Joey Wow that is a scary cat where ever it was photographed! I dont think Id dare to go into the woods knowing something like that was around there ... please be careful!

Ric it looks like a jungle out there! lol

Kiska great photos! Loved the one of the eagles :-)

Bev beautiful frost photos. Love the cardinal :-)

Deb Sounds like a wonderful day yesterday :-) Very cute bird !

Marsue - oh it must be nice to be able to start planting already! :-)

Here's the birthday girl who just turned 5 - Photo taken Jan 17th

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2008
11:45 PM

Post #4496042

Rann - ooooh, so cute in her red snow suit!
Sharon - my camera doesn't have much of a zoom, but I was only about 12 feet from that bird feeder.
Adina - maybe your is a "Valentine Cactus" ? :)
Kiska - I think "your" mountain has more character than Redoubt. Is it an "active" volcano? I mean - I know it's not spitting lava, but does it rumble or anything? Just curious.

Verrry foggy this morning but turned into a lovely day. I had lunch out doors under a magnolia tree. Ahhh.

My hydrangea is waking up.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2008
12:06 AM

Post #4496133

Marsue, lasagna anything sounds good to me :)) Can't wait to see a greener picture of them!

Dragonfly, we only made it to 38*. A lot of the snow has melted already.

Rann, Happy Birthday to Hildar Eva. What a grown up girl with very pretty red cheeks!

Deb, your lunch sounds perfect! A green bud!!

It's still foggy and Dyson dark!!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #4496145

Joey I love the horse picture! Reminds me of my SILs place in PA.
Bev Weve been driving thru pea soup mud all day long. I keep expecting to see the pirates from The Fog! LOL!
TF Oh no! Now youre sick : ( Im glad the baby is getting better now. You really are getting a mix of the weather. Hope everyone gets better soon.
Kiska OMG 43? Those numbers just dont compute.
Clerkie 8 snow angels! She was busy! LOL! I havent made a snow angel in well now that Ive actually thought of it a loooong time almost 30 years, bummer.
Adina OMG I love the Boston picture! That is adorable! And the Christmas cactus they really have the prettiest flower. Its worth the wait for the bloom.
Marsue Your back yard is going to look great in the Spring!
Bev your cardinal is a beauty and he looks a little chilled!
Rann Im surprised your feet didnt stick to the icy tiles and then you became a frozen water goddess! Theirs is no way I would even consider going to the outdoor pool in the middle of winter! LOL! My hat is off to you! LOL! Hildur Eva is just adorable is her winter suit!

61.9 F / 16.6 C
Partly Cloudy
Dew Point: 57 F / 14 C
Wind Gust: 2.7 mph / 4.3 km/h
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 8.0 miles / 12.9 kilometers
(Above Ground Level)

Now
Through 9 PM...satellite imagery indicates that the dense fog has been slowly spreading inland and was from the beaches inland to the I-95 corridor. Visibility reductions of a quarter of a mile or less can be expected. Due to dense fog marine navigation over the intracoastal waterways and near shore waters of the Atlantic will be hazardous. Keep a lookout for other vessels...buoys and breakwaters. Keep your navigation lights on.

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Areas of dense fog in the late evening and overnight. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times in the late evening and overnight. Lows in the upper 50s. Southeast winds 5 mph.

Can you hear the music from The Fog?! The fog has been like this all day.

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2008
12:09 AM

Post #4496152

Here are the azaleas at work. I can't believe they are already blooming.

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2008
12:10 AM

Post #4496155

The beach is out there ... somewhere ... trust me

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #4496162

At most 4' from me...

Thumbnail by MySharona

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2008
12:30 AM

Post #4496239

Foggy for you too! I didn't take any pictures :)) The azaleas are beautiful. I can't wait for spring and wish I had knelt in the cold and planted hundreds of tulips. Yep, wish I had :))
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 5, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #4496495

-4 at 4pm ~ guess the sunshine had some heat to it:)

Forecast for Matanuska Valley:
Updated: 4:00 PM AST on February 4, 2008
Wind Chill Advisory tonight through Tuesday morning for channeled terrain...
Strong wind Tuesday night through Wednesday night...
Tonight
Clear. Patchy fog.
Lows 10 to 20 below. Northeast wind increasing to 25 to 40 mph by midnight.
Wind chills 30 below to 45 below zero through channeled terrain after midnight.
Thanks for nice comments on the pics; I wish to compliment everyone as well for some really nice places/people/plants and weather photos.

It's been a hard day; my kitty, Holly, has been ill for some time and today the decision was made to let her go. She'd stopped eating Friday, and had a 1# loss this week. (4# total). She was the most curious kitty we'd had; and her moose stalking was so cool.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2008
1:55 AM

Post #4496577

Trivia answer /5 . We use that one a lot here in T-Boom Season.

Lovely shots today!!!!

We had a nice grey, calm mid 50's day.
Mid 60's tomorrow and T-Storms maybe... Tornado Warnings may be in the picture too.
Lots of rain in any case.

Ric
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2008
2:05 AM

Post #4496616

Great pictures Rann, Bev and Sharon.
Marsue, do you think it's spring fever? You are really busy.
I'm getting ready to do some fabric dyeing.
I've been soaking some 100% cotton in some soda ash solution to prepare it for the dye.
Maybe I'll bloom a quilt out of he fabric.
It's all just for fun and the joy of creation.
Sidney
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2008
2:11 AM

Post #4496638

Oh Kiska, Holly has stalking to do on the other side.
Moose stalking indeed is an exceptionally cool trait for a brave cat.
My heart is with you,
Sidney
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2008
2:17 AM

Post #4496666

Kiska: So sorry about Holly. She was one brave kitty. I know you'll miss her.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2008

Post #4496733

Kiska, so sorry about your kitty. You always miss a good animal.

Frozen fog here this AM and a bit of snow which didn't lay. Temps got up into the 40's. Tomorrow promises near fifty and rain. Spring IS coming.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2008
3:26 AM

Post #4496963

Kiska, I'm so sorry to hear about Miss Holly. Pets are hard to give up, but you have wonderful memories. (((((Hugs))))
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2008
3:51 AM

Post #4497045

Kiska: so sorry about Holly. That photo is the first time I have gotten a good look at the coloring of her coat. She looks (looked) so much like 3 cats I had when I was a teen-ager. We had mother, daughter and granddaughter in succession. They all had the same name: Rootbeer or "Rooty" for short. They were Rooty, Rooty, Jr., and Rooty III. --so named because of the rootbeer color of their fur.
I remember them fondly and seeing that photo of Miss Holly reminded me of them.

Marilyn
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 5, 2008
4:32 AM

Post #4497185

Thank you sugarweed, music2keep, Deb, se-eds, and marilyn. Sure seems "quiet" tonight as she's not on my lap for her evening nap.
Marilyn, I love the idea of the "rootbeer" kittys, bet they were cute.
-17*F and dropping again.
Kiska
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2008
10:47 AM

Post #4497527

Kiska Im so sorry for your loss. I was looking forward to meeting Holly. Baxter and Holly are playing together at Rainbow Bridge. Shes teaching him how to stalk moose. Believe me, I know what you are going through and how difficult that decision was. : (

60.1 F / 15.6 C
Fog
Dew Point: 58 F / 15 C
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 0.2 miles / 0.4 kilometers
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 200 ft / 60 m
(Above Ground Level)

Dense fog advisory in effect until 10 am EST this morning... (yeah, that's what they said yesterday)

Today
Partly cloudy. Widespread dense fog early in the morning. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times. High 78. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

And once again, I'm behind the vehicle without their fog lights on.

Thumbnail by MySharona

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2008
11:15 AM

Post #4497566

Kiska, So sorry about your kitty. We have a pekapoo named Snuggles and she is over 19 yrs old. We will be missing her soon. HUGS BEV It is 39 dgrees here and foggy again. Maybe flash floods today.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2008
12:21 PM

Post #4497646

Yesterday reached 71*. But yesterday morning we had fog and at times it was so thick I couldn't see the road. Very scary driving.

Today it is only supposed to be in the 30s with sleet by noon and a full blown snowstorm by 4pm. I get off right about that time. Not fun.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2008
1:34 PM

Post #4497797

Whoa, pepper, sleet and a snowstorm on the way for your area. Be careful out there when you get off work today!

Sharon, I can't believe you have azaleas blooming already! Even my poor straggly-looking pansies have fading blooms, Waaaaaaaaa! sniff, sniff

Yes, Sidney, I have a terrible case of spring fever--especially with this warmer weather we have had the last 2 days.

BP: my DH and I did kneel in the cold and plant hundreds of bulbs (about 200). Now I am longing to see the fruits of our labors. So far only the grape hyacinths have poked their heads up through the soil and mulch but they are not blooming yet.

Unseasonably warm this morning: Strong storms forecast :o((

Current conditions as of 6:55 am CST

Partly Cloudy
Feels Like: 67
Barometer: 29.83 in and falling
Humidity: 90%
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 64
Wind: SSE 12 mph
Sunrise: 7:04 am
67 High: 71 Low: 41

Detailed Local Forecast
Today: Windy with thunderstorms - possibly strong. Storms may produce large hail and strong winds. High 71F. Winds S at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 70%.
Tonight: Thunderstorms, some strong early, then cloudy skies after midnight. Storms may produce large hail and strong winds. Low 41F. Winds WSW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 80%.

The seeds in my little mini-greenhouse are germinating. Here's a photo: On the right are hollyhocks and on the left are zinnias. Purple coneflowers and blue salvia and other stuff in the middle.

Thumbnail by marsue

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2008
1:54 PM

Post #4497838

Good morning! I'm so sorry to hear about Holly, kiska. We're going to be having thunderstorms this afternoon, too. Tonight it will be in the 40s.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CST (59 min ago)
Temperature 72 F 22 C
Dew Point 66 F 19 C
Humidity 84%
Pressure 29.78 in 1008.4 mb
Wind Speed 18 MPH
G 29 16 kts
G 25
Wind Dir SSE 160
Ceiling 3000 ft 914 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 76 F 24 C
Current Conditions Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 71.1F / 21.7C

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2008
2:47 PM

Post #4497980

Good Morning! We have 50 and rain is on the way. The birds are singing, so spring must assuredly be on the way! One time (years ago) I remember that it snowed & killed some robins, but I haven't seen any robins yet.
At Dublin...
Clear: 54F
Feels like: 54F
Barometer: 30.1 in
Dewpoint: 54
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 7 mph SSW
Sunrise: 7:23 AM
Sunset: 5:51 PM

Gee, Sharon! You are in a fog! :D And your Azalea! Wow! I hope that mine does OK this year...One of my Rhodo's didn't make it last year; and I'm guessing because of the drought that we had. I watered both religiously...oh well. The horses (I had to laugh) were chasing the guy w/ the hay! The motion is what caught my eye. How is your MIL doing?
Marsue, your plants are popping right up there! :D I know that you are getting real excited! The guys up here at the local hot house are geering up...theirs are popping too.
Kiska, I saved the pic of Miss Holly "stalking". I'd say the moose will even miss her.
Deb! Your Hydrangea! Peaking out already! :D What a nice surprise! :D
Sally? will you be getting any of the snow that is being predicted?
Ric, Hope that you don't get any tornado's! I remember many years ago when a bad one hit Xenia. Devistating! Do you have a warning system?
Bev, Love the Cardinal pic! Beautiful!
Sidney, "that fellow has not read the story about the boy that hollered "Wolf". " It will come back to "bite him in the butt". ;)
Adina, Gorgeous! Bloom! Maybe next year there will be more! :D

This is because sound (thunder) travels much slower than light which is almost instantaneous.

Todays trivia is...
Which month has seen the most tornadoes in U.S. History?
a) May, 2003
b) May, 1999
c) June, 1992
d) April, 1974

Have aGreat Day! All!
Joey
Rann, Happy belated B-Day to Hildur Eva! Love that snow pic! ;D

Thumbnail by music2keep

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 5, 2008

Post #4498111

-17F 6am Dark
Thank you, MySharona, Bev and Marylyn; she was funny and entertaining. The moose will certainly miss her antics.
pepper~that sounds just awful; take care getting home.
the little greenhouse is a good sign of the summer ahead. Very nice, marsue.
Wild guess: A
Mt.Augustine; an active volcano across from Homer.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Whitewidower
Greensboro, AL

February 5, 2008
7:30 PM

Post #4499008

77 degrees here in Central Alabama. Looking for strong thunderstorms tonight after midnight. I posted this on another forum then found this one.
Went walking yesterday and heard a dove cooing, saw several blue birds, grass is turning greener and geese are pairing off. Oh well we will see won't we?
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 5, 2008
8:40 PM

Post #4499259

Sounds beautiful there, Whitewidower.
Bet hearing Doves made it even more special.
The temp was minus 17f ; so took advantage of the colder weather to do the "hot water vapor trick".
Sunny but no warmth to it. Nearly noon and it's up to minus 12.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2008
8:45 PM

Post #4499282

Welcome to this thread, whitewidower!
Our thunderstorms haven't materialized yet, but we did have a shower a few minutes ago. It didn't even get the entire driveway wet. The weatherman says we can expect some thunderstorms later, possible severe.

Kiska, you have your own "Old Faithful"!! LOL

I'm guessing "A" for the trivia, Joey.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2008
11:34 PM

Post #4499842

Kiska, I'm reading, with a heavy heart, about Holly. I'll always remember her for her moosing.

Sugar, cloth dying, how neat!

Pepper, nice weather for so short a time.

Marsue, I don't have the gumption to do that. I hope you post a picture of the blooms you get for the next few years! Lovely little seedlings!

Joey, we got less than an inch but it's very wet and heavy. Oh dear, I'll guess A. I seem to remember a Mothers Day tornado not too long ago. Such pretty tails on the deer.

Kiska, Ilove the volcano picture, right down, or up, to the cloud. The sea is gorgeous!!

Hi Whitewidower, it sounds like spring has more than sprung for you. Stay safe during the storms.

Kiska, that's the best vapor yet!

We had heavy wet snow and a high of 35*. Will be getting more snow tomorrow. Much more it sounds like.

Everyone with the heavy storms, stay safe!!!
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2008
11:41 PM

Post #4499860

Marsue, I have a little seedling forest going, too. Hollyhocks, coleus, lobelia, lisianthus, and osteospermum.
WHitewidower - We're supposed to get storms too but not til later tonight.

I 'm almost afraid to tell you that we broke a record high temp for this date today. It got up to 80.

Took this just before sunset.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2008
11:51 PM

Post #4499890

Tornados to the northwest and southeast of us. :o(( Mobile homes have been destroyed in at least one of the northwestern counties just a few minutes ago. Injuries have been confirmed and vehicles are reported overturned on I-40 in the Atkins area.
A severe thunderstorm with possible hail is coming from the southeast and supposed to reach our area in an hour or so. Ominous clouds approaching as I type. I'm signing off now--will report back later after the severe weather passes.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2008
12:14 AM

Post #4499969

Deb, I'll bet you warmed those ''old'' bones good!! What a beautiful delicate bloom!

Oh Marsue, stay safe!!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2008
12:45 AM

Post #4500104

Everyone stay safe in those storms!
Marsue I cant believe we have azaleas blooming either! I like your greenhouse!!
Joey MIL is doing better, but she is still on the feeding tube. Now she has to have a gallstone removed. Seems like its one thing after another. Thanks for asking! I like the deer picture!
Kiska Great picture!
Whitewidower Welcome to the forum! Sounds like signs of Spring to me!
Kiska I love the water/coffee vapor pictures! Thats so amazing to me.
Deb Great picture! We got up to 75* today.
Marsue OMG stay safe!

64.4 F / 18.0 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 61 F / 16 C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1.6 km/h / 0.4 m/s from the SSE
Wind Gust: 7.8 mph / 12.6 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa (Steady)
Clouds: Few 5500 ft / 1676 m
(Above Ground Level)

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Areas of low clouds and patchy dense fog late in the night. Visibility less than one quarter of a mile at times. Low 58. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

We'll get the showers and thunderstorms tomorrow evening. Taken this morning

Thumbnail by MySharona

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 6, 2008
12:46 AM

Post #4500105

bp~thank you; she was a character, for sure. Bet the snow was heavy/wet at that temp.
marsue~ it does look more like a geyser, doesn't it? He'd tossed the hot water straight up for that effect. Take care there; sounds a bit scary.
Deb~I love that blossom and had to reread that it was a recent photo; I just can't imagine flowers in bloom now:)) Glad you're warm, though.
Lows 5 to 20 below. Northeast wind increasing to 15 to 25 mph with local gusts to 40 mph.
Wind chills 25 below to 35 below zero after midnight.
Suset down at Homer last weekend.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 6, 2008
12:47 AM

Post #4500112

crossed Sharon~
Glad to see that your MIL is a bit better; one step at a time.
Love the azalea and the fact that it too, is blooming now.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2008
1:26 AM

Post #4500272

Sharon, sorry your MIL is having a rough time. I hope this is the last of it. Oh, are those verbenas or lantanas? What color!!

Kiska, gorgeous sky !!! Is that a ''loch ness'' out in the middle, giggle! I had to laugh at DH leaning into the shovel trying to push a wet pile of snow across then driveway. I of course, was inside looking out!

The zinnia are gone, but the mulch is still there : ))

Thumbnail by billyporter

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #4500357

Kiska I'm so sorry to hear about Holly.
We've had many fearless hunters in our time but never one w/ enough nerve to stalk a moose.
Like many here we had our coloration version of her.
Pepper though was much more a house cat than a hunter.
I know the empty lap feeling... (((((Hugs)))))

Joey
I missed being in Xenia for the tornado by about a half an hour.
I was in on the emergency response for 3 days after it.
I still see the dead and injured in my dreams.
I've been in 3 others though.
We have a Tornado Siren 150' from our place here.

I woke to 66 and calm this morning at 6 AM.
That's NOT a good thing in February.
It means some mean weather is out there somewhere.
(as it turns out WAY down south)
By 6:30 the lightning and thunder had started.
Just as I was leaving for work.
Lots of rain but little wind...

It's 57 here now and calm so the mean weather still hasn't materialized.
We are looking at a cool front not a cold front coming thru so we may just miss the bad stuff.

A predicted 9 for Sunday morning may be coming...

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #4500510

The severe weather has passed over central Arkansas. We are out of danger. When the storm came through it moved over very fast. We had high winds and hard rain but no hail for just about 20 minutes. The Little Rock airport reported straight line winds of 67 mph. The eastern one-third of the state is still in the path of the storm.
There are reports of LOTS of damage in various areas--homes destroyed, people injured and 3 confirmed deaths and people unaccounted for. According to one of the TV stations, the entire town of Highland, AR in the northern part of the state has been destroyed.

Emergency crews are having problems getting through to the affected areas due to large trees down across the roads and highways. It's too dark for them to really be able to assess the damage. The light of day tomorrow will, no doubt, show the extent of the damage.
Now a cold front is coming in behind the storm which will do away with the threat of tornadoes. It will be a miserable night for many who find themselves homeless in our state. They are in need of your prayers.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2008
2:27 AM

Post #4500554

Lots of rain today. Thunderstorms this morning. it rained cats and dogs all day and caused some flooding in a few of our buildings. It has been a messy and exhausting day.

Temps were in high 30s most of the day and are slowing going back to below freezing.

Supposed to get freezing rain tonight then snow. Have heard anywhere from an inch to 8 inches for here. And that was in the last few hours. Will see in the morning.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2008
2:34 AM

Post #4500591

Ric, are you a first responder for your town?

Oh Marsue, not everyone escapes. Such a sad thing. I'm so sorry for them. I'm so glad you're ok!

Pepper, we're in the 7'' to 10'' range, but I'll believe the 10 when it's on the ground.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2008
2:38 AM

Post #4500609

We were in the 3-5 last night and this morning. Then at 4 it was 6-8 range. At 5 and on a different channel it was maybe 3-5, then at 6 it was 1 maybe 2 inches. They have no clue. lol
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2008
3:02 AM

Post #4500722

No Billy.
I was going to school at Wright State, just west of Xenia.
Two people in my class were EMT's at the base.
I had my construction truck and took them up.
As I had welding experience and my tanks on the truck I stayed to help w/ rescue.
Got deputized and everything.

Tornados here are just a fact of nature.
Rare but not unexpected and always planned for...

Sue I have Family in Pea Ridge but it appears they just got high winds.
Hope tomorrow's sun up doesn't show any more fatalities but...

Ric

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2008
3:07 AM

Post #4500743

Pepper, ROTFL!!!

Ric, that's impressive! I'm glad you could be so much help.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2008
4:27 AM

Post #4501165

Ric, Pea Ridge is in the far northwest corner of the state. I don't believe there were any tornadoes up there, although straight line winds can certainly do damage. So far there are 5 confirmed fatalities in the state. There is widespread damage over a large area of the state. Reports are saying there were 4 confirmed tornadoes on the ground in various areas.
One of the fatalities occured in Clinton and the tornado there evidently passed within 1/4 --1/2 mile of my MIL's house. We will be driving up to Clinton in the morning to get my MIL. She is without power, everybody up there is. The weather is turning colder. She is 81 and she has been ill for several months and is just now starting to get better. We certainly don't want this to set her back. We are just thankful that she is okay and there is apparently no damage to her house. We couldn't go up there tonight because we couldn't have gotten through if we tried--too many trees down across roads.
Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for all in the areas affected by the storms tonight.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2008
9:53 AM

Post #4501577

Good morning!

It's snowing this morning, 26F and fairly calm, about 7mph breeze.

Kiska - I'm so sorry about Holly, I know that empty lap feeling too. I know she will be greatly missed (((Hugs))) Love the moose stalking photo and the hot water "geyser" on your deck is fantastic :-)

Marsue - How terrible about the storm. Sounds just awful. Glad you and your MIL are OK.

Sharon - a year ago I'd never even concidered going swimming in such cold weather ... now I'm just addicted ;-) lol About the apartments you asked about earlier - sorry I forgot to answer. They're retirement homes - the big building is a nursing home.

Thanks Joey and Sally for the birthday wishes :-)

Today is Ash Wednesday and that's the day kids here get to put on costumes and sing for candy treats. Selma has school until 11 am but it's mostly fun and not much studying today ;-)

Here's a sunset photo from January 20th - the day is getting noticably longer now - it's pretty light out by 9:30 and still dim light at 6 pm - what a difference a few more hours of daylight can do! :-) Sunrise today is 9:54 and sunset at 5:29 pm.

Hope you all have a great day and that the worst of the storms have passed.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2008
10:52 AM

Post #4501632

Kiska Gorgeous sunset! {{{Hugs to you}}}
Sally It is a Kalachoe. Seems they bloom every 2-3 months. LOL! Mulch is good!
Ric I agree. Its way too warmwere 20* warmer than we should be. The bad stuff is coming. Stay safe!
Marsue Our prayers are being sent. So glad you and yours are safe.
Pepper How much snow did you get?
Sally And - how much snow did you get?!
Ric It takes a special person to help in those conditions. SO can we call you Deputy Dawg now?! LOL!
Marsue Be careful on the road. Let us know when you return.
Rann Beautiful sunset too! I missed a pretty one last night. Sounds like a fun day for the girls!

62.1 F / 16 C
Clear
Dew Point: 60 F / 16 C
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Falling)

Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 10 am this morning to 7 PM EST this evening...

Today
Windy. Partly cloudy. High 82. Southwest winds 15 mph with gusts to 30 mph.

I think we've completely skipped over Spring into Summer this week.

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2008
11:11 AM

Post #4501648

Deputy Dawg LOL!

Sue I'm glad you MIL is OK.
I hope she keeps on her road to health.

57 at 6 AM ...
We were under a Tornado Watch breifly last night.
Then everything fizzled out here w/ just some heavy rains.
Flood Watch is canceled as are the single digit temps for the weekend.

STAY SAFE All!!
Ric

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2008
12:53 PM

Post #4501779

Mornin'! :D We have a temp of 59 - very cloudy, waiting on the rain...The weather folks say that the storms are "fizzling"...Yeah! Nothing like a good set of mountains to break it up.
At Dublin...
Clear: 57F (I don't know where they get this! Maybe the clouds haven't worked their way that far east yet)
Feels like: 57F
Barometer: 29.8 in
Dewpoint: 54
Humidity: 88%
Wind: 5 mph SW
Sunrise: 7:22 AM
Sunset: 5:52 PM

Marsue, I hope everything is Ok for you this morning. My sympathy goes out to those that are lost & those that have lost. :( So thankful that your MIL is all right!
Well, Ric! (Deputy Dawg!) I remember that being a really bad tornado & have no doubt that you still dream about it! I know I would! DD is a first responder & some of her experiences (none of which she is supposed to talk about) are so sad! (She has to tell some one! and am glad I'm there for her)
Rann, you're really getting the snow! I do hope the geothermal heat "hangs tough"! What a beautiful sunset! :D
Sharon? is that Lady Magaret? Wow! You have gone straight to summer! :-O
Kiska! Magnificent! shots of the volcano & the "freeze trick"! :D Frank did a fine job! And Love the sunset! :D (I've saved them all) :D
Where is Dyson? If you show up...I expect you to get the trivia answer for the day! ;)

The answer to the trivia is...A
In May 2003, 516 tornadoes were confirmed, crushing the old record of 399 set in 1992.

Today's trivia is...(Ric...I'm expecting you to get this one!)
During a ferocious storm in November of 1975, the Edmund Fitzgerald sank on which Great Lake?
a) Erie
b) Ontario
c) Huron
d) Superior

Have a Great Day All! & Stay Safe!
Joey

(is this a look of surprise?)

Thumbnail by music2keep

Whitewidower
Greensboro, AL

February 6, 2008
1:01 PM

Post #4501798

Memphis got hit pretty hard also Oxford MS I understand there are several fatalities in MS. Right now I am getting some much needed rain for our lakes in this area are very low. Temp is 61 right now. Winds are calm but the weather man has been talking none stop for the past 6 hours. I am located about 90 miles south of Birmingham so most of the rough stuff went north of me. Of course it is not over yet.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2008
1:24 PM

Post #4501859

Surprisingly bright, overcast sky w/high clouds 65.7(F) calm (for now) have had several good "soaker's" the last couple of nights and I will check the gauge when I go out.

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 64%
Wind: 210 (SSW) at 7mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 29.8in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 44F
Yesterday's High Temp: 74F
Dew Point: 52
Visibility: 2.5mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 64
Wind Chill: 64
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 57F
6hr High Temp: 67F
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2008
1:54 PM

Post #4501933

Good morning! I'm so glad you all are ok. I'm glad your MIL made it through the storm safely, Marilyn. Please be careful going to get her!

Our chilly front went through right on schedule. I hear it is supposed to be in Florida tomorrow, just in time to possibly postpone the shuttle launch again. Our highs are going to bed in the low 60s, so we have nothing to complain about. :-) It looks like we are going to have several days in a row with no rain, which will be great! The weeds are taking over the garden and I haven't been able to get in there. Hopefully this weekend.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CST (54 min ago)
Temperature 41 F 5 C
Dew Point 30 F -1 C
Humidity 65%
Pressure 30.15 in 1021 mb
Wind Speed 13 MPH
G 21 11 kts
G 18
Wind Dir NNW 330
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 42.1F / 5.6C
clerkie56
Iberia, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2008
2:52 PM

Post #4502127

Good morning everyone! I hope everyone is safe this morning. We have 32 windy and more rain on the way with maybe alittle snow. This kind of day makes me wonder if a little snow may turn into alot. When I went home yesterday and turned down my drive it was like a river-so I got a shovel and cut some ditches for the runoff, my 3 dogs came with me the two youngest ones a huge lab mix and the younger one is amix of some kind decided to protect me from the floating bubbles. They would attack the bubbles as they floated down the drive. Before it was all over we just decided to play in the water it was cold but I remembered doing the same thing when I was a little girl. This morning the driv looks much better. We got about 2 inches of rain in about an hour and half. Our ground is already boggy from the thaw over the weekend, so we had lots of runoff. Everyone stay safe.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2008
3:20 PM

Post #4502222

i owuld have guessed June 1992 on the trivia, because that is the month a tornado wiped out a large part of Fritch and surroudnign areas, it was a half mile wide F-4!

marsue, thank you for letting us kno about the terrible torando and deaths ;-(

kiska, sorry for you about your precious kitty. it was a hard thing for you to let her go!

we are gradually erecovering here, except for me, hopefully this will be my worst day then i'll start getting better. at least i was well enough to check out this thread today LOL. loved the volcano the other day!

wishing wonderfully warm weather for all!
tf
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2008
3:29 PM

Post #4502267

Thanks, all, for your concern for my MIL. The power has been restored to my MIL's house this morning, so we don't have to go get her and bring her to our house. DH is on his way up there as I type, however, just to make sure everything is okay around her house and that the roof is okay, too. The tornado passed very close to her--she said she could hear it. The boat factory that was destroyed in Clinton is only about 1/2 mile from her house "as the crow flies".

Joey, I am guessing "C" for the trivia. JW is cute as ever--love that look on his face!! LOL

Great sunset pic, kiska.

Sharon, I love your Lady Margaret.

clerkie, it sounds like you and the dogs had a good time chasing those bubbles! You certainly got a lot of rain in a short period of time.

Deb, I think I should have waited until the first of March to start my seeds in the mini-greenhouse. I never dreamed they would germinate and grow so fast. Now I am wondering what I am going to do with them until I can plant them outside. They are fast outgrowing their little peat pots. This is turning into more work than I bargained for!! LOL

I just checked the thermometer on our back porch. It is reading 36F. It is pretty windy out, too. Yesterday at this time we were in the mid-60's. Quite a change!!!

I need some pretty flowers to look at!! I'll go find a picture of my favorite rose, Velvet Toreador. I may have posted it before in a previous thread but I never get tired of looking at it. I hope you folks don't either. LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2008
3:31 PM

Post #4502273

Get well soon, TF!!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2008
4:18 PM

Post #4502426

marsue - how could we possibly ever tire of looking at that gorgeous rose! lol

Marylyn - I guess there's an upside to a cold winter after all ... no weeding until May at least ;-) lol

Joey - yes we've got plenty of snow. According to the forecast it'll probably most be gone by the weekend since there's a rain storm scheduled for Friday. The heat's back on since the temperatures are back to normal - but there was a record in hot water usage on Saturday when we were in the deep freeze ;-) What a cute photo of JW :-)

Sharon - yes it's been a fun filled day for the girls. I dropped Selma and her friend off at the shopping center down town after lunch and they were there singing for candy and checking out the entertainment while I was at the pool. They came home with a bagful of candy and now they're cosy watching a movie.

The weather turned out to be pretty great for the kids although a bit cold maybe, it's around 32F, but fairly calm. There have been snow drizzles on and off.

Here's Hildur Eva trying on Selma Rn's witch costume a few days ago.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 6, 2008
4:32 PM

Post #4502480

-7*F Dark 7:30am Forecast come daylight:
Sunny.
Highs 5 to 15 above.
Northeast wind 15 to 30 mph with local gusts to 45 mph in the morning.
Thank you, ric, rann, and TamaraFaye.
Will get back later.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2008
5:42 PM

Post #4502807

Marsue, I'm glad your MIL has you to help.

Rann, I hope Selma sings sweetly for her sweets : )) Such a beautiful sky!!

Sharon, the blooms sure are pretty! How nice for a repeat bloom! We're around the 8'' mark and it's still snowing. Another beautiful mystery bloom and I love the butterfly!

Joey, that seems to be what mountains do best : (( Sad if you need the rain! I admire anyone who has the guts to be a responder. They do see some pretty graphic stuff. That is so adorable!!! Love that fuzz on top! Is he saying Grandma, what a big eye you've got?

Whitewidower, glad you're safe.

Dyson, glad you just got rain. I was watching National weather earlier and there's a lot of action over there.

Marylyn, glad your news is good!

Clerkie, that is so funny. I can just see your dogs doing that!

TameraFaye, I'm glad everyone is getting better, and hope you do too!! I hate being sick!

Marsue, that is such a big scare, the tornado being so close. It's nice she has her power already. Do you have larger pots to transplant into? Then they'll have a nice root system and you can pop them out when it's time to plant. The rose is gorgeous, but what rose isn't!

Rann, we've had and lost so much snow already this year. I think today's is here to stay awhile tho! We never tire of looking at those gorgeous kids do we? :)) Hildur Eva is absolutely adorable. I just want to give her a hug!!!

Kiska, brrrr!

30* and still snowing. We have at least 8'' already and spent a few hours hand scooping this morn. It was nice tho and I enjoyed it! I'm glad we didn't get 7'!!!

I feel for the families who lost someone in the tornados and was worried about those I now ''know'' here at Dave's.'' I'm so glad we didn't lose anyone here!!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2008
5:45 PM

Post #4502840

Raining now and I forgot to check the level in the gauge (aint failing memory grand)? At least I can forget some of the things that I do not want to remember as well.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2008
5:49 PM

Post #4502869

Marilyn, I can't imagine getting tired of seeing that rose. :-)

Rann, yep, we have to weed year 'round here. It does slow down in the winter, but not much. Hildur Eva makes an adorable witch. :-) What does her own costume look like? And what kind of songs do they sing to get their candy?
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #4502941

oh my, Clinton AK? i had better call my bro and SIL... thanks for get well wishes...
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2008
6:46 PM

Post #4503277

Glad you all liked the picture of the rose. :o))

Rann: Hildur Eva is so cute but she seems to be saying: "Do you have to take my picture again!?" LOL That's a pretty piano bench in the background.

Kiska, I just can't even imagine how cold -7 is!

BP: 8" of snow would be a blizzard down here! I do have larger pots to transplant into and I am going to have to do that soon, I am sure. Those little plants are really shooting up!

Dyson: LOL There are some things I would like to forget, too!!

Here I have been complaining about nothing blooming around here when I heard a little voice calling me, saying, "Here, Here I am" so I took a picture. LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2008
7:21 PM

Post #4503415

Dyson, the things we wish to forget are the things that stay with us.

Marsue, that is the prettiest african violet! I'm glad he called out! We can't see out in the country very far, so it is a blizzard.

Over 8'' and a third cleaning of the driveway.

Thumbnail by billyporter

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 6, 2008
8:20 PM

Post #4503658

Wow, what beautiful pictures! Seems some of you have such bad weather, I also heard about snow and freezing in Arizona...I hope everyone is safe from the tornados and snowstorms!
Kiska, I'm so sorry about your Holly, that picture with her and the moose was great! Love the sunset!
Rann, great sunset and beautiful Hildur Eva! Happy Belated for her!
Joey, thanks, what a cutie! JW looks great!
Marsue, beautiful flowers!
Deb, so beautiful, keep them coming, we're craving for sun and blooms! Valentines cactus, too funny!LOL
Sharon, what fog ! Look at my kalanchoe blooming!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 6, 2008
8:22 PM

Post #4503662

This is from one morning, couple of days ago.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 6, 2008
8:22 PM

Post #4503667

The moon.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 6, 2008
8:25 PM

Post #4503674

The dawn.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2008
8:27 PM

Post #4503682

beatiful pics, nice to see things in bloom...

B&SIL were in Clinton at the time it hit, they took shelter in a store, are doing OK...
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2008
8:50 PM

Post #4503762

I'm very glad your family is ok, Tamara!

Adina, those are gorgeous.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2008
9:08 PM

Post #4503823

BP: I suppose everbody in your area has snow blowers?

Glad your B&SIL are okay, Tamara. Do they live in Clinton?

Gorgeous kalanchoe, Adina, and pretty moon pictures.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 6, 2008
11:17 PM

Post #4504261

Lots of nice pictures and I'm glad everyone and their families or friends are safe. Get well soon, TF!

Updated: 2:51 PM PST on February 06, 2008
62 F / 17 C
Clear
Humidity: 39%
Dew Point: 37 F / 3 C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the SSE

Yesterday I had an old root canal repaired or reworked or whatever they call it. It had gone bad and there was infection in the jaw. For about a week I was feeling somewhere on the border between sick and not sick and I guess it was from that. I'm taking an antibiotic now. The tooth area is sore today but at least it gives me an excuse to eat tapioca pudding.

We went hiking today.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 6, 2008
11:19 PM

Post #4504271

Most of the greenery here is wild mustard.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 6, 2008
11:20 PM

Post #4504279

This is a church built in 1903, which is really old for this area.

Thumbnail by Kelli

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2008
11:41 PM

Post #4504380

Thanks Marylyn, marsue, adina and Sally - she's such a joy :-)

Marsue -lol that was actually the last photo I took ;-) Gorgeous African violet! Is it growing outdoors?? I was just admiring african violets at one of the garden centers on Tuesday - they had a sale and I went crazy and bought far too many house plants. Fortunately DH is in London on business so I have until Friday to figure out how to make them "blend in" the surroundings so he won't notice ... lol Not sure it'll work but there'es no harm in trying. Didn't buy an african violet though. Now I'm thinking maybe I need one of those too ...

Marylyn - the kids just sing some song they know ... Selma and her friend picked a really good song and they did get compliments on it. I'm afraid the people at the stores have to listen to 2 or 3 songs over and over again! They go to stores, banks etc. that have treats to give away. When the girls got there there were a lot of "all out of candy" signs, but they got plenty anyway. It's the first time she goes "candy hunting" and she had a great time! First time she's downtown unsupervised too - I think they felt very grown up ;-) lol Hildur Eva got a mermaid costume :-)

Adina - great photos of the moon and pretty flower!

Kelli - wonderful photos from your hike :-) Hope your tooth feels better soon!

TF - glad they're safe! Hope you'll be feeling better soon.

Deb - gorgeous Azalea bloom earlier. :-)

Photo from Jan 25th

Have a good night everyone!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2008
11:42 PM

Post #4504389

Our prayers are going out to all that are affected by this storm.
Ric/Deputy Dawg That was a close call with the single digits and the flood watch!
Joey I LOLd at the pic of JW! He looks like you fed him something really sweet or really sour! I forgot to mention that picture of Lady M is about 2 months old! Shes still blooming, but is a bit leggy and scraggly right now. She does have a lot of new growth! I know the answer!! Its D!
Whitewidower So glad you made it through the storm safely. At least the good thing is you received some much needed rain.
Dyson There you are! Weve missed you! How is your dog adjusting? And what is her(?) name? Congrats on the rain!
Clerkie - So glad you are safe as well. I love(d) playing in the puddles too! I still do sometimes! LOL!
TF So glad you are feeling better! So glad your family is safe.
Marsue Such a gorgeous rose! Looks like red velvet. So glad all is well with your MIL. Gorgeous AV too!
Marylyn Please dont mention weeding! LOL! Oh, my back hurts looking at all I have to do! : (
Rann That is a Kodak moment if I ever saw one! Hildur Eva is just precious! What a beautiful piano bench!
Sally That was Lady Margaret. She really is pretty, isnt she?
Adina We have the exact same plant! How about that?! LOL! I love them, they are so easy to take care of. Beautiful pictures!
Kelli So glad you are feeling better! I had to have a crown replaced once, goosh it hurt so bad (no infection though). Look at all that green! You have some great places to hike!

Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 7 PM EST this evening...

Tonight
Windy early. Partly cloudy with chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then cloudy with chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms after midnight. Some thunderstorms may produce gusty winds in the evening. Low 56. Southwest winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts to 35 mph shifting to the west 10 to 15 mph after midnight. Chance of rain 40 percent.

We need the rain, but not the boomers! Taken after work.

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2008
11:47 PM

Post #4504416

Rann - We crossed. I had to laugh. Im always making things blend after shopping! Sounds like Selma Run had a wonderful time! And to be unsupervised she must have felt like she had wings on! Shell cherish that memory for a long time. Great winter picture!

Sunset tonight

Thumbnail by MySharona

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 7, 2008
12:23 AM

Post #4504662

Lows 5 to 20 below. Northeast wind 15 to 30 mph
with local gusts to 50 mph.
Now, at 3pm; it's 3*F and windy.
Thank you, Adina. Your photos are so pretty; love seeing them.
rann~how exciting for SelmaRun to be unsupervised; for you both, a huge step:))
I hope all's well with our DG friends in the path of the tornadoes; what an awful time to be going through.
kelli~glad you're doing better and felt good enough for the hike; very nice to see that part of California through the lens of a friend.
MySharona~very nice sky for you, too. Sure hope your trip up here will be filled w/clear days and you'll be able to see all the different landscapes there are.
marsue~ just think, minus 7 was the "warmest" in the past few days:)) Clear and cold brings the most beautiful blue sky this time of year and really makes it ok. Love the little violet. Glad you "heard" it's call.
BP~~lots of snow to be moved around:)
Keep safe and well~
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2008
1:27 AM

Post #4505032

Rann: Hildur Eva is just sooo adorable! I have a needle-point piano bench very similar to yours! Is that a violin?

Joey: I believe the answer is D, Superior.

Adina: I love kalanchoe! Nice photos.

In fact, nice photos from everyone today.

Sharon, we had a dash of summer the last 2 days, too. Got up to 80. That'll all change on the weekend they say.
Meanwhile, expecting very stormy weather overnight and lots of rain. Guess I'll be picking up pine tree limbs tomorrow. (Weak trees.)

Currently 68F and rainy.

Deb
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2008
2:02 AM

Post #4505179

The rain from yesterday froze so we had icy roads. In the city there were muliple car pile-ups all over the place. The highway I drive was almost solid ice in most places and I had to go slow. But made it to work with no problems.

Oh and we only got an inch of snow at the most. :~)

Currently: 25F Cloudy
Currently: -3C Cloudy
Wind: South-Southwest at 7 MPH
Dewpoint: 19F
Barometer: 29.94 inches and
Wind Chill: 17F
Wind: South-Southwest at 11 KPH
Dewpoint: -7C
Barometer: 1014 millibars and
Wind Chill: -8 C
Sunrise: 7:21 am
Sunset: 5:45 pm

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2008
2:08 AM

Post #4505207

Billy I'm glad that was YOUR pic!

It's down to 43 here now and heading for 32.
Just about 3 PM the cold front moved thru.
Like a Freight Train.
40 MPH sustained winds and driving rain.
The temp dropped 15 degrees in about 15 minutes.
The drive home was like being in a wind tunnel again.

We had a repairman in from Milwaukee.
The airport was closed till at least tonight by snow.
He said they were getting 3"/hour

At last count 54 people have died from tornados in the last 24 hours.
I have no doubt that will climb higher.
It's hard to imagine the amount of damage those babies brew in such a short period of time.
SAR will be at it for days.

Ric
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2008
2:22 AM

Post #4505274

Hi Joey, "Lake Erie, they said, never gives up her dead,
When the winds of Novembers turn..." I'd say Lake Erie. At least according to the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

I have a granddaughter and a brand new great granddaughter ( less than a week old) in Hickory Ridge Ark. I need to google arkansas and find out where the tornados went through. (sigh).
Weather was gorgeous here today, showers and sunlight from time to time. Currently 58 degrees, raining, windy but the worst of it went north of my town here in Pennsylvania.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 7, 2008
2:28 AM

Post #4505299

Deb ~ that's quite a drop in temp, and now with rainstorm, what a rapid change. Hope it's not going to be too bad. Heads up around those trees:)
Pepper23~ glad you made it to work; and hopefully, back home ok.
Ric~ It's difficult to consider those rapid changes; at least here, it's within just a few degrees day and night, for weeks.
Take care out there.
This evening/night:
15 below to 10 above zero...warmest in windy areas.
Northeast wind 20 to 40 mph with local gusts to 60 mph
Zero now.
Kiska
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 7, 2008
2:30 AM

Post #4505301

se_eds~ crossed/ congratulations on the newborn greatgranddaughter. Hope all's well w/family in Hickory Ridge.
Jackie
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2008
2:32 AM

Post #4505344

Roads were clear by the time I got off work. :~)
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 7, 2008
2:54 AM

Post #4505457

glad to here that, pepper.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 7, 2008
3:06 AM

Post #4505519

se_eds - "Superior it's said never gives up her dead..."
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2008
3:20 AM

Post #4505600

Ah, shucks - I thought it was Lake Erie - That crosses the northern part of this state.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2008
3:55 AM

Post #4505751

se_eds: I don't think there were any tornadoes in the immediate vicinity of Hickory Ridge. However, the thunderstorms and high winds did pretty much cover the entire state as that front passed through. Hopefully your granddaughter's home didn't sustain any damage from the winds. Congratulations on the new ggd!

pepper, glad the roads were clear for your trip home from work.

Kelli: I always enjoy the photos of ythe places where you hike. I had never seen any wild mustard before.

Kiska, that 's another pretty snow-covered mountain.

and another pretty sunset, Sharon.

Everyone have a good evening and sleep well. If you have been ill, I hope you are better soon!!

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2008
7:11 AM

Post #4506257

Okay you all...Here is the answer to the trivia. Sorry Se_eds...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_8s2zsNhSM&feature=related
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2008
9:29 AM

Post #4506317

Good morning!

We got about 6" of snow overnight, fortunately it's very wet so it compacts readily otherwise I'd be going nowhere today ... My morning exercise consisted of clearing a path out to the car and around it after getting the girls to school. I wonder why DH is always away on business when there's a lot of snow to clear ... last time he was in Copenhagen. Now it's getting very windy so it's a good thing the snow's wet otherwise it would be blowing into drifts with no visibility. I have to go to Reykjavik in a short while for physical therapy, hope the roads have been cleared by now.

Thanks for the compliments on the piano bench - the honor of that gorgeous needlework goes to DH's grandmother :-) And yes there's a violin in the background ;-)

Sharon - lol ! I think the only problem is that since I didn't have very many houseplants before, there's very little to "blend into" so I'm afraid he'll notice something. I'm just hoping he won't quite notice how many ;-) lol I plan to have them all transplanted and the bag of potting soil out of the house before he gets home ... ;-)

Just horrible to hear about those tornadoes - my heart goes out to all those who have lost a home or a loved one. And I feel thankful that all I have to deal with is a few inches of snow and a rather stiff "breeze".

The wind's blowing at 33 mph right now, gusting to 53 mph. The temperature is dropping, it was 32F earlier this morning, but now it's 28F. There is a stormwarning in effect for today so with that kind of wind chill there is a very good chance I won't be going swimming today :-(

I didn't adjust the colors in this photo - taken Jan 25th.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2008
10:55 AM

Post #4506351

Pepper Glad you made it through the icy roads. Scary.
Ric Glad you didnt get a tornado, those were prime conditions for one.
Se_eds Congratulations on the new GGD! Hope all is well with your family.
Rann Isnt that the way it always is? DH is gone for the honey-dos! LOL! Be careful on the roads. Beautiful picture! Saved it!

62.2 F / 16.8 C
Overcast
Humidity: 50%
Dew Point: 45 F / 7 C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1 km/hfrom the WNW
Wind Gust: 5.4 mph / 8 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 2200 ft / 670 m
Overcast 4300 ft / 1310 m
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Cooler. Partly cloudy with a chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms. High 65. West winds around 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

Not enough rain last night to measure. :( Another picture of "The Fog" - taken Tuesday morning.

Thumbnail by MySharona

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 7, 2008
3:17 PM

Post #4506933

Temperature in Interior Alaska dips to 67 below zero
IN TOK: Unofficial minus 70 Wednesday just another winter day. (from Anchorage Daily News this morning).

The Interior is having a bit of cold, you think?:))
Tok is the last town before crossing the Canadian Border; we've only been there in non-winter and I see no reason to go in the winter:)

Palmer weather:
Strong wind through late this morning... ( and they are)
Today
Sunny. Highs 5 to 15 above.
Northeast wind 15 to 30 mph.
Gusts to 45 mph in the morning.
rann~sounds very wintery there; our snow is light and fine and is drifting like mad all across the area. My son spent most of yesterday plowing through drifts for the schools. Love your photo.
MySharona~love the foggy day pic of your area, too. Has it started to rain yet?

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2008
4:51 PM

Post #4507335

Morning All! The temp is 37 & it is rather overcast. My rain-o-meter has 1" ~ we had a really hard rain yesterday.
At Dublin...
Mostly Cloudy: 39F
Feels like: 30F
Barometer: 29.9 in
Dewpoint: 28
Humidity: 65%
Wind: 17 mph WNW
Sunrise: 7:21 AM
Sunset: 5:54 PM

Sharon, Sorry to hear about your MIL w/ her gall bladder. Hopefully she can get past this easily. I meant to ask...did she get injured when the EMT's dropped her? I certainly hope not! I hope she can heal quickly & get back to normal soon. :D BTW You are excelling in the use of your new camera! :D Great "stuff"!
Rann, Your winter pic is winderful! I have saved it for my desk top. :D
Marsue, Glad to hear that the storms missed you! & your MIL. And you could show that pretty little Violet for a month & I wouldn't complain!:D Glad that he got thru to you!
Kelli! Great hiking shots! (as always:) And you fealt like going hiking w/ a root canal gone wrong? Amazing! I've never had one, but have heard they are quite painful! :-O
TF, Glad that your kin are Ok & that you are on the mend!!
Adina! Great moon shots! Really nice! :D
Sally, Has the snow let up? Looks like an almost "white out"! :-O How much snow in total did you get?
Se_eds! Congratulations! :D On your new GGD! :DThat is so Wonderful! Hope they are well & safe. :)

Hope you all liked the tribute to "The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald". It brought back many memories for me.

Todays trivia is...
How long does it take light from the Sun to reach the Earth?
a) 8 seconds
b) 8 minutes
c) 8 hours
d) 8 days

Have aGreat Day! :D
Joey

(I think that some one is sleepy!)

Thumbnail by music2keep

patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 7, 2008
5:00 PM

Post #4507385

Ft Pierce, Florida (Airport)
Updated: 50 min 41 sec ago
80 F / 27 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 64%
Dew Point: 67 F / 19 C
Wind: 12 mph / 18 km/h / 5.1 m/s from the SSW
Pressure: 30.07 in / 1018 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 82 F / 28 C

I've been under -the-weather ( no pun intended!) and missed the tornado information. After the fact I called the granddaughter in TN and she lost power, but the storm missed her. The granddaughter in KY spent 4 hours in her hall under a table with a mattress on top. Some wind and debris damage, but the tornado passed about 6 blocks to the north. I know it wasn't funny, but my imagination pictured her, her husband, two children, three dogs and two cats under that table...and she's 8 months pregnant!!!

I had started some Impatience and Coleus which the squirrels dug up and filled the pots with acorns. Oh well, when you snooz you looze. LOL

As usual, my first stop back in DG is here and I'm always anxious to see the wonderful pictures...and I'm never disapointed!!
~~~to all,
Pati
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2008
5:36 PM

Post #4507562

Kiska Do people really live there? I just cant imagine that kind of cold. No rain here.
Joey Thanks! I want to take the camera to the beach, but its been too windy and I dont want any sand getting in crevices. MIL was banged up pretty bad. The main concern was the open wounds. One for her bag if you know what I mean, and her feeding tube. Everything seems to be ok though. Awww, hes fighting it, doesnt want to nap right now! Im going with A.
Pati So glad your daughter and her family are safe. Congratulations on the new baby in the family!

66.2 F / 19.0 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 27%
Dew Point: 31 F / -0 C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1.6 km/h / 0.4 m/s from the West
Wind Gust: 5.8 mph / 9.3 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Falling)
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 10000 ft / 3048 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Thumbnail by MySharona

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2008
7:05 PM

Post #4507907

It is 34 degrees now. It is going to be in the single didgets Sat. night. Here we go again!! BEV
Trish
Jacksonville, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2008
7:47 PM

Post #4508090

My brother was in the midst of the storm in Jackson, TN. His house specifically did not get hit, but there are many many in his church and workplace that were not as blessed :(

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2008
10:32 PM

Post #4508744

Oh, how scary, Trish. I'm glad your brother is ok! (It's good to see you pop in, by the way! :-) )

Joey, awwwwww... (forcibly stopping myself from lapsing into baby talk...) Give JW extra kisses from me when he wakes up. :-) I guess B.

Sharon, as usual, that picture is gorgeous!

Kiska, brrr! I've been out in the negative teens with -40-ish wind chill... That was bad enough! I can't imagine -70...

I'd tell you all how nice it is here, but you don't want to hear it. We just got home from playing in the park. It was a little muddy, but very very fun. I forgot the camera (as usual), though.
Trish
Jacksonville, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2008
10:40 PM

Post #4508791

Thanks, Marylyn! I'm always popping around...just don't take the time I should to say "Hey" to all my friends! (((())))

I was actually emailing with my brother offering my assistance however I could when I thought I should check to see how other DGers were fairing. I wondered why no one had dmailed me getting geared up for some relief effort. I guess because no one was affected (or is it effected??? I'm to tired to think to hard about it...). I was surprised there wasn't even a whole thread about it!

On the brighter side, I guess we don't need a relief effort :)
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2008
11:14 PM

Post #4508979

Trish: So glad to hear your family are ok in TN. It must have been very frightening for everyone.
Kiska: I had the same thought as Sharon, "People live there????" Yikes. So you live in the tropical part of Alaska, I see. :)
Sharon: Like your foggy road.
Joey: JW is just so darn cute!! As an old G. Lightfoot fan, I was pretty sure about the trivia (for a change!). For today's question, I guess "B".
Rann: Love your snowy photo.

We didn't get any of that stormy weather we were expecting last night. I seemed to just break up before it got to us (same reason we had such a drought last year). We did get a good rain, and I only had to pick up 2 pine branches this morning. :) Back to "normal" temps now, but that's not so bad. High was around 60 today. Lows tonight upper 30s.
Deb
(Kitchen window. You can see some of Kiska's icycles.)

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Whitewidower
Greensboro, AL

February 8, 2008
12:01 AM

Post #4509222

Beautiful day here in Central Alabama. Have been tilling with my tractor and transplants some tomatoes in my greenhouse. The storm missed me and all my family but I am so sorry for those who were less fortunate. So far I have planted cabbage,English peas, swiss chard, carrots, strawberries, asparagus, my blueberries are looking good. I planted them about three years ago and should get a good picking this year. My blackberries look pretty good and my Daughter can't wait to make a blackberry pie. I may be a little long but I can remember when she had a little oven and we bought cake mix at Elmore's for something like a nickle and I had to eat cake almost everyday. Oh what good times that was.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2008
12:05 AM

Post #4509249

Strange day here is Pa. Temps started out at 58 deg and dropped all day. No additional rain, just cold, cold winds. Currently 38 degrees and windy!.

All are safe in Arkansas. Prayers for those who were not so lucky.

dragonfly, I think we are supposed to go down to 18 this weekend.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #4509408

Trish So glad your brother is safe. Our prayers are with those who lost so much. I was surprised as well that there isnt a thread about the tornados. Its a blessing.
Deb Love the view from your kitchen window and the icicles!
Kiska Are you selling icicles now? We are in dire need of an update on your new venture!

57.7 F / 14.3 C
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 61%
Dew Point: 44 F / 7 C
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 6.0 miles / 9.7 kilometers
Clouds: Few 1900 ft / 579 m
Mostly Cloudy 3600 ft / 1097 m

Now
Through 8 PM...scattered to numerous showers will move rapidly northeast across the northeast Florida Peninsula from coast to coast...including the southeast corner of Georgia. The greatest concentration of showers will be moving from Alachua and Clay County toward Fernandina Beach...Jacksonville...Green Cove Springs...and Ponte Vedra and into the coastal waters. Isolated thunderstorms are expected. This activity is moving northeast at 30 miles per hour. Hourly rainfall amounts will be up to a quarter to half an inch in the heavier showers over Clay...Duval...and northern St Johns counties.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy. Showers likely and isolated thunderstorms in the evening...then a chance of showers after midnight. Low 48. West winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent.

We have received some rain, not a lot, but every little bit helps. We've been overcast pretty much all day. This was taken on the way to a new Italian restaurant on the mainland (which was delicious). I thought my invisible bungee cord was going to break! We'd been off island for too long and I felt it start pulling us back on island! Can't stay off island too long! LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2008
1:26 AM

Post #4509559

Evening!
Trish I know dispatcher1 talked about 3 Diary Barns collapsing in IN w/ livestock injured and killed.
daylilydaddy and KYdaylilylady reported on damage down in KY near Morehead, KY
But no injuries amoung the ORVG Forum's members.

There is a thread on Mid South which got hit harder than we did.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/810349/

Ric

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2008
1:35 AM

Post #4509602

36 here and mild breezes.
I went out and checked the yard.
Other than a few twigs and some plastic rearranged it looked normal.

Looks like we are in for some nice calm for a few days.

Our repair guy from Milwaukee said they got 18" of snow at his place.
As of 12:30 this afternoon there were still no flights going out of there.
So he may be driving back home tomorrow. (About 8 hours)

I'll go B on the Sunlight Trivia...

On the Edmund Fitz... a friend of ours has a cabin overlooking Whitefish Bay.
They saw some of the rescue craft after the wreck.
A few years later they took us down to the shore where some debris washed up.
Then to the Lighthouse where the Memorial is located.
Hundreds of people have died there in storms.
A fact I didn't know until I saw the plaques.

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 8, 2008
1:35 AM

Post #4509604

Nice weather today

Updated: 4:51 PM PST on February 07, 2008
70 F / 21 C
Clear
Humidity: 31%
Dew Point: 38 F / 3 C
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h / 2.1 m/s from the NW

Marsue, mustard and wild oats are the most common plants in grassland habitats out here. Neither is native but they seem to be here to stay.

Joey, the root canal thing isn't excrutiating but it lets me know it is there and I take a bunch of ibuprofen. The dentist said that it would probably hurt for a few days.

We went hiking a little again today. We went to the same place as yesterday but went on different trails.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 8, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #4509611

some kind of phacelia

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 8, 2008
1:37 AM

Post #4509613

stinging lupine

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 8, 2008
1:37 AM

Post #4509616

wild cucumber

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 8, 2008
1:38 AM

Post #4509624

darkling beetle - they are about 1 1/2 inches long

Thumbnail by Kelli

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2008
1:54 AM

Post #4509701

For those of you who are interested, here is a thread I started about tornado damage in Clinton, AR

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/811475/
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 8, 2008
2:06 AM

Post #4509750

Lows zero to 20 below...warmest in windy areas. Northeast wind 25 to 40 mph decreasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight.
Take care everyone~~will be back after sunset; looks to be a good one to go to the river and watch.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2008
2:21 AM

Post #4509851

Got to high 30s with lots of sun but I had to stay inside to work today. My coworker called in sick so I had to do his job. :~(
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 8, 2008
3:05 AM

Post #4510016

After re-reading, I'm so glad that so many came through the storm mostly ok; but so sorry for the loss of lives ~ can't imagine the devastion, but seeing the link, marsue, brings so much more to mind.
Kelli~how nice to see the wildflowers and your hiking area. It's been wonderful getting to know SCalif from your posts.
Deb~looks very pretty out your window~glad you didn't lose many branches.
Trish~good hearing that your brother is ok, too.
Ric~very moving story; that would be quite a memorial to visit. I've been to the Lumberman's Monument, in Michigan, and it's beautifully done and overlooks a gorgeous river.
Whitewidower~love reading about your growing plants and the little oven. Very sweet, no pun intended:))
se_eds~a cold wind is so hard to take; just no getting out of it as you cross parking lots or even your own yard.
MySharona~dinner sounds great:)) Love the pic. Yes, there are icicles for sale; tonight I've got 3 in the kiln plus a "4th July" plate. I have a pasta bowl mold on order and can hardly wait to make one. Sunday afternoon I have a "glass play day" planned for friend and family. Should be fun and they will each get to make a piece of jewelry, icicle or plate. After creating, I'll do the kiln work and they'll have their project in a couple of days.
Alaska State Lows:
Fort Yukon -59F / -51C
Northway -58F / -50C
Eagle -56F / -49C
Fairbanks Ft. Wainwright -54F / -48C
Central -52F / -
Yes, Palmer is tropical in comparison:))Lows
zero to 20 below...warmest in windy areas. Northeast wind 25 to 40 mph decreasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight.
Friday
Mostly sunny. Highs zero to 10 above. Northeast wind 10 to 20 mph.
Just a day in Palmer.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2008
3:32 AM

Post #4510108

If you are ever up to Michigan's U.P. be sure to visit the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Point. It has a great display Great Lakes history and many items are on display that were recovered from the Edmund Fitzgerald. It's such a haunting place. I felt like like the spirits of the lost were hovering there. I felt much the same way there as I did while visiting Little Big Horn where Custer and his men met their fates. I think it was just last fall when a hiker walking a remote stretch of shoreline found one of the life preservers from the Fitzgerald. After more then 30 years the ship's name still could easily be seen on the preserver.

Visit the museum here: http://www.shipwreckmuseum.com/virtual.phtml

Photo: I've packed up the kids and camper many times over the years and vacationed at Lake Superior Provincial Park on the northern shore of the lake. It's a beautiful wild area and well worth the trip. This is a typical shoreline scene.

Oh yeah, the weather...cold, wet, windy at times, and gray, gray, gray. Spring is coming though...!

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 8, 2008
6:02 AM

Post #4510593

E_B~that was a good link to know about. Very interesting and, from the deck, so very beautiful. Seems like a great place for vacationing, too.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2008
11:07 AM

Post #4510769

Ric Ive never heard of a memorial for the E.F. Thanks for the info.
Kelli Thanks for the pics! I love the 1st one, you can just see the lake at the bottom. Beautiful!
Marsue Thank you for psoting a link to your thread.
Kiska Its so exciting that youve got a successful venture going. Congratulations on it! So you live in the Carribean of Alaska! LOL! You are a tad warmer!
E_B Beautiful picture! Thanks for the link as well.

50.2 F / 10.1 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 46 F / 8 C
Wind Gust: 3.6 mph / 5.8 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Rising)
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Mostly sunny. Highs around 70. West winds 5 to 10 mph. Another from yesterday on my way home from work. I missed the brief "sunset show" by minutes.

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2008
11:16 AM

Post #4510793

The Custer Battlefield is indeed an eerie place too.
As you drive around you see where the individual soldiers were found and then come to the final battle scene.
It's easy to see how that many Sioux were able to be overlooked.

That Life Buoy was, I think, found to be a Memorial to the crew left years later.

34 here and headed gently toward 50...

Ric
Whitewidower
Greensboro, AL

February 8, 2008
12:09 PM

Post #4510877

After reading how the weather is in places north of the Mason-Dixon line I am wondering if the ground hog predicts the weather up north and not hear the South. Maybe we need to get us an armadillo to predict our weather. What could we name him? How about Sidney?

This message was edited Feb 8, 2008 6:16 AM
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #4511296

Kelli: I always enjoy your hiking photos! :o))

Ric: DH and I visited the Custer/Sioux battlefield 4 years ago and it is eerie, indeed, to look out over it and contemplate what happened there. In my estimation, whoever is in charge of preserving the battlefield has done a better job of telling the story from the Sioux' point of view than the history books I read in school. I learned things about the battle that I never knew before.

E_B: beautiful picture--it looks more like a painting than a photograph.

Kiska: how nice that you enjoy a hobby that also brings in some extra money while adding some beauty to the lives of others.

Whitewidower: Yes, indeed! Sidney the Armadillo--just what we need here in the south. LOL

Hope all you folks who have been ill are feeling better now.

We had a heavy frost last night--got down into the twenties, but, as Ric said above, it is "heading gently toward the 50's". Sun is shining brightly and not a cloud in the sky.

Current conditions as of 7:55 am CST

Fair
Feels Like: 29
Barometer: 29.97 in and falling
Visibility: 4 mi
Sunrise: 7:01 am
Sunset: 5:43 pm
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 8, 2008
10:15 PM

Post #4513063

A very nice spring day

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on February 08, 2008
77 F / 25 C
Clear
Humidity: 21%
Dew Point: 34 F / 1 C
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h / 2.1 m/s from the South

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2008
10:18 PM

Post #4513068

It's a beautiful day here, too.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 3:53pm CST (24 min ago)
Temperature 72 F 22 C
Dew Point 53 F 12 C
Humidity 51%
Pressure 29.91 in 1012.7 mb
Wind Speed 17 MPH
G 23 15 kts
G 20
Wind Dir SSW 210
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 76 F 24 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 43.0F / 6.1C
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 8, 2008
11:56 PM

Post #4513378

We have a beautifull night here in St.Pete.
Except some careless people.
39F.

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 9, 2008
12:00 AM

Post #4513397

The smoke is rising up. Lol.

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2008
12:00 AM

Post #4513398

It was gorgeous here today! Perfect weather - high of 68* - blue skies and some serious Spring Fever going on! LOL!

I forgot to tell y'all that we received 1.8" of rain last night! YAY! I was very surprised this morning when I looked at the bunnyrainmeter!

56.3 F / 13 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 45%
Dew Point: 35 F / 2 C
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Few 10000 ft / 3048 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Mostly clear. Low 46. South winds 5 mph shifting to the west after midnight.

Lunchtime! I was about 4' from the feeder. This Carolina Wren looked right me at, ignored me and Prissy and kept eating. I had the time of my life snapping pictures!

Thumbnail by MySharona

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 9, 2008
12:02 AM

Post #4513406

I have dicovered the info about my my favorite newspaper http://www.sptimesrussia.com
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 9, 2008
12:12 AM

Post #4513443

Sharon, thanks for the interesting shot of Thryothorus ludovicanus!
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 9, 2008
1:07 AM

Post #4513625

George: Thanks for the link to the StP Times. Fascinating to read the world news from others' perspectives.
Kelli: I enjoyed your hike. :)
E_B: Wonderful color. I don't know how you do that.
Sharon: Congrats on the rain! We got some this week, but this warm weather has dried out the soil. Guess I'll be watering tomorrow.

Got up to mid 60s here. They've backed off the freeze forecast for Sunday. Now they're saying mid 30s and I so hope they're right. Currently clear and 52F. Expecting a high of 70 tomorrow!!

Found this little face when I got home this evening.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 9, 2008
1:15 AM

Post #4513655

Folks, come on! It was a joke! Our brave firefighters extinguished that minor fire successfully! I have a friend, which is a firefighter.
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 9, 2008
1:16 AM

Post #4513661

Deb, thank you!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2008
1:49 AM

Post #4513789

It was a nice sunny cool upper 40's day.
For Feb we'll take it.
I worked outside for about an hour this afternoon.
Light jacket and a ski cap.
I AK it would have been T-Shirt weather...lol!

Ric
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 9, 2008

Post #4514017

Cool pics, everyone!

This message was edited Feb 9, 2008 11:20 AM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2008
2:44 AM

Post #4514087

Heat wave here. :~)
Currently: 36F Clear
Currently: 2C Clear
Wind: South-Southwest at 7 MPH
Humidity: 69%
Dewpoint: 27F
Barometer: 29.84 inches and
Wind Chill: 30F
Wind: South-Southwest at 11 KPH
Humidity: 69%
Dewpoint: -2C
Barometer: 1010 millibars and
Wind Chill: -1 C
Sunrise: 7:18 am
Sunset: 5:48 pm

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2008
10:36 AM

Post #4514908

Good morning!

We got a really big storm last night - the biggest one so far this winter. Heavy rain and 58 mph wind gusting to 90 mph. DH flew home from London yesterday afternoon - the plane could land ok but it was too windy for it to park at a gate so they couldn't get out of the plane. They were stuck there for 5 hours until rescue workers could get them out along with the passengers of 2 other planes. He came home around midnight, the plane landed at 5 pm, without his luggage.

Today it's snowing again ... isn't winter grand? We're really getting fed up with it to be honest ...

Great photos everyone!

Kiska - tropical Alaska! lol Love it. Is it even possible to be outside in -70F??? Congratulations on the success of your glass making venture. You've got a real talent :-)

EB - that shoreline is gorgeous - never imagined the great lakes looked like that!

Sharon - what a cute little wren :-)

Deb - a daffodil already! How pretty :-)

Kelli - wonderful photos from your hike again :-) So nice to see so much green :-)

Sprouting seeds in the garage :-) The first sign of spring here ;-)

Hope you all have a wonderful day :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2008
12:39 PM

Post #4515026

Good Morning! It's a cool 32 and Dyson Dark. We had a beautiful sunny day yesterday. Was a gorgeous day to be in the car all day! :D With gas prices so high I try to do all of the runnin' in 1 day. We are under a wind advisory for today.
A FAST MOVING COLD FRONT WILL CROSS THE MOUNTAINS TONIGHT. IN ITS WAKE... STRONG WEST WINDS WILL DEVELOP... WITH THE STRONGEST WIND GUSTS OCCURRING DURING THE DAY SUNDAY. WIND GUSTS COULD BECOME STRONG ENOUGH IN SOME AREAS TO PRODUCE DOWNED TREES AND POWER OUTAGES. SUSTAINED WINDS OF 15 TO 35 MPH AND WIND GUSTS OF UP TO 50 MPH ARE LIKELY BY LATE TONIGHT AND SUNDAY. THE HIGHEST WIND SPEEDS WILL OCCUR SUNDAY AFTERNOON... WITH GUSTS AROUND 55 MPH AT TIMES IN SOME AREAS.
At Dublin...
Clear: 30F
Feels like: 30F
Barometer: 29.9 in
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:19 AM
Sunset: 5:56 PM

Rann! That's some strong winds! :-O I feel sure w/ all of your little plants peeking out that you are so ready for spring to be here! You have a nice set up for your seedlings! :D
Deb, That is the Sweetest! Face! :D I'd bet that put a great big smile one your face! And Love those icycles! :D
Juri, thanks for the link...I'll check it out in a little bit. :D
Sharon, I love that little wren! My granddad loved those little birds. He made houses for them & put them all around his house! A good sign of spring! Me? I look for the robins.
Kelli Love the wild flowers! Does the wild cucumber produce? But I really like the looks of the stinging lupine! Pretty! Heck! I think they're all pretty! :D
Jackie, Palmer looks kinda chilly in that pic! So tropical! :D hehe ;) You're doing a great job w/ your new hobby! :D
Whitewidower, that sounds like a good idea...hmmm...Sidney the armadillo
E_B, Great shot of the lake! I haven't been to Superior. Erie & Michigan are the only 2 I have been to. Thanks for the link! In my recollection...there was right much controversy over Gordon Lightfoot's song when it 1st came out...a lot of radio stations in the Ceveland area wouldn't play it. And he only meant it as a tribute.
Ric, I imagine that the eerie feeling you got a the Battle of Little Big Horn was the same that I got when we went to Antietam in Maryland. It made the hair on the back of my neck "crawl". It also gave me a very sad feeling. Imagine standing there where thousands of mens blood was on the ground (Bloody Lane).
Marylyn, LOL, consider it done! :D

The answer to the trivia is...B
Light travels almost 200,000 miles per second.

Todays trivia is...
What part of the world sees more thunderstorms than any other?
a) Java, Indonesia
b) Key West, Florida
c) San Juan, Puerto Rico
d) Bangkok, Thailand

Have A Great Weekend! :D

Thumbnail by music2keep

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2008
12:40 PM

Post #4515027

Yuri Glad no one was harmed in the fire. Thanks for the link to the SPTimes!
Deb Narcissus have such happy faces! Very pretty!
Pepper Break out the sunscreen! Youre having a heat wave! LOL!
Rann- Glad your DH made it home safely, even if it took awhile. Your seedlings look happy in the garage!

45.5 F / 7 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 41 F / 5 C
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 8.0 miles / 12.9 kilometers

Today
Partly cloudy and breezy. High 72. West winds 15 mph.

My Phals are getting ready for Spring too!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2008
2:44 PM

Post #4515379

Sunny clear blu skies, 59(F) calm.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2008
2:46 PM

Post #4515389

31 degrees and snowing medium- to heavy. About 3 inches so far. Wind advisory for the rest of the day and worse tomorrow - 25-35 MPH winds with gusts to 50 MPH.
Hope the snow melts, or it will be one H*** of a job getting it off with the snow blower when the wind is blowing it back in my face. LOL - Winter is back!!!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 9, 2008
3:46 PM

Post #4515651

-3F Dark 6:30am
Today: Mostly sunny.
Highs zero to 10 above.
Northeast wind 15 to 30 mph
gusts 40 to 60 mph.
rann~wow~what an lucky but awful ending to your husband's flight. Sounds as if this storm is hitting everyone in some manner. Thanks, the glass hobby has taken on a life of it's own; just happy to be able to keep the glass coming:))
Love the little seed garden going in the garage.
se_eds~hopefully there will be warmer weather to help w/snow removal:))
Dyson~sunny blue`~has a nice sound to it.
MySharona~look at the new growth there; so pretty.
music2keep~love the photo/color is bold but muted. Looks as if you'll be needing to hold on to your hat, too.
The last bit of remaining color.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 9, 2008
3:48 PM

Post #4515654

The sunset had ended moments before; all color disappeared.
Pioneer Peak.

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2008
4:53 PM

Post #4515881

Good morning, all! You guys and gals have been busy this morning!! :o))

Sharon: what is a "Phal"?

Joey: that rose surely is not real? It looks like it is made from icing. I'm guessing "B" for the trivia.

George: I enjoyed reading the St.P. newspaper. I'm glad the firemen put out the fire with no mishaps.

Rann: I can't imagine a plane being able to land in those winds. So glad your DH made it home safely! Your seedlings are looking good.

Deb: pretty daffodil. I'll be glad when mine start pushing up through the soil.

It is shaping up to be a beautiful day here. We are heading toward the 60's and the sun is shining brightly. Not having to deal with bad weather will make the clean-up after the tornadoes much easier.

Today: Sunny. High 61F. Winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight: Mainly clear skies. Low 36F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.

Everyone have a good day! ☺☺☺

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 9, 2008
6:32 PM

Post #4516245

Great shots everyone! It's getting colder here, but today we had a nice, sunny day, although a bit windy.
We went to the house to see what the new crew has done.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2008
6:48 PM

Post #4516302

It's looking good, Adina. What color is the finish coat of stucco going to be?

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 9, 2008
7:54 PM

Post #4516544

Marsue, I like very much this one from this building I saw in DDs town in Italy, so I took the picture and will show it to the contractor !LOL
Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2008
8:15 PM

Post #4516618

Howdy all,
Here's a brand new thread; http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/812007/
Come on over!
Sidney

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2008
1:33 PM

Post #4519080

Good Morning all! It is 16 degrees heading for a high of 19 today with 20 mph sustained wind. Just one day thank goodness. I will get back in the 30s for about a week. I am no going out today. BRRR BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America