Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Banishing Winter Gardening Blues at the Library: Wonderful, true and very funny!

Communities > Forums > Article: Banishing Winter Gardening Blues at the Library
bookmark
Forum: Article: Banishing Winter Gardening Blues at the LibraryReplies: 20, Views: 135
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2008
1:07 PM

Post #4481697

"Librarians don't like that kind of talk"...you made my morning. What a fun article, thanks Lori !

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2008
1:49 PM

Post #4481776

Snicker. I think the library has a bench warrant for my arrest if ever show back up in there (Ahem...I too have forgotten to return a few books.) One of these days I need to go settle up with them and see if they've gotten any new gardening books in (I've been able to stay away for a while since I was pretty sure I've read every title they have!)

If you like mysteries and gardening books, there are actually some authors that specialize in this sub-genre: Ann Ripley (I think I've read all her books), and several others - here's a rundown of some of the better-known authors and titles: http://www.januarymagazine.com/crfiction/gardenmyst.html
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2008
4:02 PM

Post #4482208

And yet another "guilty" party here. Loved your article it certainly fit the bill! Thanks for sharing :)
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2008
5:24 PM

Post #4482515

lol, I already shared with Lori the fact that members of my family take books out by the pound. I ALWAYS take books back, but since they made it possible to renew online, there is sometimes a lag involved. . .
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2008
6:32 PM

Post #4482756

LOL - as a former librarian I can attest to "most" librarians having a sense of humor, but you're right on those overdue fines!! Makes me feel even guiltier when I owe :) And thanks for the specifics of which sections contain which books; all good info to have, especially that reminder that I should remember how much I can carry!
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 1, 2008
8:06 PM

Post #4483056

So glad I can now read it after the article was temporarily abducted by aliens. Enjoyed it a lot.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 1, 2008
10:04 PM

Post #4483490

Ooooh, Lori, great terrific fantastic wonderful amazing excellent information. Unfortunately, in my family, there is a female-linked dominant gene for NOT returning library books - EVER. My DH has the male version. He has library cards to the library in each of the many towns he's lived in - each with a souvenir book. So for my family, it is usually actually cheaper to buy the book in the first place. Same goes for "rented" (read "bought for more than they would have cost to buy new") movies. LOL. But who needs books when I have DavesGarden? x, Carrie
soapwort243
South Milwaukee, WI

February 1, 2008
11:20 PM

Post #4483775

Great article ! I go to the library every week or two. I take out alot of the same gardening books over and over- the ones with the great pictures in them!
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #4488276

Thank you everyone. Glad you enjoyed it, and that I'm not the only one to shell out $$ to the library. Terry, thanks for the link to some interesting books. Had no idea. Glad I didn't offend the librarian in our midst, dryad57. LOL
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

May 17, 2009
9:50 PM

Post #6561563

Thanks to this fun random article, I now have some good suggestions for garden-themed mysteries and other assorted reading material. Thanks, Lori!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #6580234

Here's a wishlist of various garden fiction titles: http://davesgarden.com/products/gbw/advanced.php?category=97&submit=Go (And if anyone has read any of these, please feel free to post a review for others to learn from!)

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

January 8, 2010
12:21 AM

Post #7439769

Susan Alberts garden mysteries are good as well. She runs an herb shop.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2010
6:40 AM

Post #7440875

Oh! Lots of good ideas for gardening novels there ... whooopeeeee! Loved the article (guilty also when I was younger... I tend to buy my books now for the same reasons stated by Carrielamont)! But I absolutely loved the library I spent so much of my youth in... the Ewell Free Library, in Alden, N.Y. A small town with a very fantastic library, old and full of awesome dark woodwork and unbelievable stained glass windows... I spent hours and hours there and took loads and loads of books home, and spent a considerable amount of my babysitting money on late fees. I love good books!

Brenda
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

January 8, 2010
2:45 PM

Post #7441418

Nothing on TV is ever as enjoyable as a good book!
Kat_M
Merced, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #7441780

Yes, a great article, Lori. Thanks! Many an hour have I whiled away pouring through library garden books (but I, too, have learned the hard way to keep the slip with the due date on it tucked inside one of the books and use it as a bookmark to remind me to avoid those overdue fines). I think I've checked out just about every garden book my local library has, not to mention requests from other libraries (modern technology, gotta love it)! We get a lot of dreary, depressing fog here where I live, so there's nothing like planning future gardens, etc. with a library garden book to generate some inner sunshine!

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

January 8, 2010
4:07 PM

Post #7441794

It was great when libraries used to stamp the date inside instead of giving a loose slip.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2010
10:12 PM

Post #7443175

I thoroughly enjoyed your article, Lori. Shame on me for not being a member when it was published last year. Now I just have to practice my high-brow accent. Too bad I just had my hair cut or I could have worn it up in a bun.

No offense dryad57 :)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2010
6:03 AM

Post #7450732

All right!! two subjects after my own heart.Gardening and reading. I discovered the library from a second grade teacher after i read every book for second graders she had. It was next door to the school.My books were checked out and back in 2 days. I could not stop. The libraian was like an aunt to me. She guided my tastes but gave in to my love of science and gave me free reign. But questionable novels never left the library in my hands.
Todays librarians in my town seem like little teenagers who are more intrested in their make up and non-clothes than books. So am now among the overdue fine criminals. A couple of years ago these teenybopers got the sherrif to collect fines for them. luckly at that time i was innocent. Today i'm $8.00 guilty. Are there still good librarys out there?LOL
Vickie
herbs501
Hallettsville, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2010
2:16 PM

Post #7451345

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

January 12, 2010
1:04 AM

Post #7453504

Hear, hear!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2010
5:41 AM

Post #7454281

That was a very wise man.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Banishing Winter Gardening Blues at the Library Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
One thing you get for free in this world lortay 1 Jan 13, 2010 1:43 AM
One of the best IMO oldgal67 0 Feb 21, 2011 8:51 AM
Not funny! oldgal67 0 Feb 21, 2011 9:30 AM
Love your library toelle 0 Feb 22, 2011 7:41 AM
Library NSgarden 1 Jan 25, 2013 8:43 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America