Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Six More Weeks of Winter!? Celebrate by Winter Sowing Your Seeds!: Great Article!

Communities > Forums > Article: Six More Weeks of Winter!? Celebrate by Winter Sowing Your Seeds!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Six More Weeks of Winter!? Celebrate by Winter Sowing Your Seeds!Replies: 16, Views: 156
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2008
7:15 AM

Post #4485406

Well done, Critter. Good information and great article. Thanks for sharing:)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2008
7:22 AM

Post #4485412

I'm glad you enjoyed it! What do you think you'll run out of first... seeds, containers, cold weather... ?

There are only a few seeds I start inside this early, so it's fun to have another way to satisfy that need to plant something. :-)
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2008
8:01 AM

Post #4485436

Hopefully it's the cold weather!!! I'm tired of this already.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2008
2:46 PM

Post #4485856

Going to do some of this tomorrow - thanks for the timely article !
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2008
3:46 PM

Post #4486059

Great article Jill... the gorgeous blooms are very encouraging to the wintersower, newbie or not!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2008
4:06 PM

Post #4486176

ya dun it again-----I just love your style and concise information.
noticed you used one of my faves again in picture-
the famous not-chocolate -daisy : ^)
sannajane
Eureka, CA

February 2, 2008
4:22 PM

Post #4486257

Good job Critter!!
bbrogan1
Amma, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2008
5:24 PM

Post #4486526

Wonderful job critter! I thought I had missed out on winter sowing back in the fall. So great to hear it can still be done - thanks!!! And I have just the containers saved back to do this.

Betty
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2008
5:33 PM

Post #4486556

Very pleased that you stated that FEB is the time to start . . . :-)
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2008
10:31 PM

Post #4487595

Great ariticle critter
You and all the others on the winter sowing forum are such an inspiration...
Veronica
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #4487741

Great article Jill!! Such helpful information. And I am totally getting that ..."need to plant something, anything!!"
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2008
1:13 AM

Post #4488185

Thanks a bunch, Jill. I was just lamenting yesterday that I couldn't find specific info all in one spot. You came through!
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2008
3:16 AM

Post #4488692

Nice job, Jill. I highly recommend winter-sowing. I first tried it last year and hope the many perennials I planted as a result will make it through the winter and bloom for me this year. I did have some bloom already last summer.

I just set out my first wintersown seeds yesterday, so I guess I'm right on schedule :0) Anybody who is interested follow some of Jill's links and give it a try!
GreenerBeaner
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 3, 2008
1:15 PM

Post #4489525

Thank you, Critter. DH and I just officially decided to start our first garden together and now I can't wait to get started. Your article had so much of the info I was looking for all in one place. Now I can go ahead and get started!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2008
4:06 PM

Post #4490106

Thanks for all the feedback & kind words. I'm glad it was useful! I hope you'll all head over to the winter sowing forum... you'll find loads of great ideas, inspiration, encouragement, hot tips, and friendly discussion. I'm not ready to replace starting seeds under lights with winter sowing, but by doing both I sure end up being busy during spring planting! :-)

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2008
3:10 AM

Post #4594107

Oh, wow, this is exactly what I needed. I just got my seed packets from Parks today, and it was just KILLING me to not be able to start planting. So. . .you can just set them out in snow and cold weather, and they'll be OK?? I've done all the little cells inside before, without great success, and have just been itching to do something different this time!

What happens if weather warms up, seedling sprout, and then it gets bitterly cold again? Do they all die? Do you bring them inside? Cover them? I guess I still think of them as tender little babies. . .

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2008
4:25 AM

Post #4594443

Booker, what to do with little seedlings during a cold snap depends a lot on what the little seedling is, and on how cold it's getting. The containers do provide some protection, like a cold frame, but any leaf that touches the plastic tends to get frostbitten IME. If it's getting *really* cold, I'll consider moving sprouted containers into the unheated garage temporarily... you don't want to move them into the warm house, because then you have to harden them off again -- and one of the joys of winter sowing is not having to harden off all those little seedlings!

Some people don't baby their WS seedlings at all, they just figure that some will make it and some won't, and if they sow a bunch of stuff they'll have plenty to plant out... I probably mess with mine more than most, because of all the years of babying the ones grown under lights!

You'll find loads of good advice and encouragement over on the Winter Sowing forum, too. :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Six More Weeks of Winter!? Celebrate by Winter Sowing Your Seeds! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing hellnzn11 34 Nov 10, 2012 2:21 PM
It's news to me! jardines2 1 Sep 17, 2013 7:45 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America