Photo by Melody

Article: Enjoy an Underwater garden, Right in Your Own Livingroom!!: This is so neat!

Communities > Forums > Article: Enjoy an Underwater garden, Right in Your Own Livingroom!!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Enjoy an Underwater garden, Right in Your Own Livingroom!!Replies: 6, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2008
7:18 AM

Post #4485408

What a neat idea! We just sold a 50 gal fish tank to my nephew last year. And being the "pack rat" I am I took one look and said a couple of "bad' words. LOL However, this is a really interesting idea to work with. Thanks for sharing 3g :)
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 2, 2008
10:51 AM

Post #4485509

Very nice article. My DH would want to put in some fish LOL.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2008
2:49 PM

Post #4485864

Fun article - another project in my future!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2008
10:50 PM

Post #4487673

I have a 4 gallon aquarium on my bedroom dresser filled with many more plants than fish, and occasionally have to prune the plants so the fish have room to swim. LOL I love a "natural" look in an aquarium. I just wish I had room for a bigger tank, but I don't.
I definitely recommend this for those who do! Thanks for the article--I was wondering if anyone had thought of this topic.
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

February 2, 2008
11:03 PM

Post #4487718

My DH likes his fish. I got so tired of those fake plastic plants he kept in there, so being the plantaholic I am, I transitioned it into real plants. The fish really solves the fertilizer problem, but fish need more care than it would if it were just plants.

Yes, I also have to trim the plants so the fish have room to swim :))

Glad you all enjoyed the article.
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2008
1:17 AM

Post #4488201

What a great idea! Now I'll have my FIL look for aquariums at garage sales. Whenever I want anything good from a garage sale, I just ask him. Good information in the well-written article. :-) I think even I could do this!
standinntherain
Liberty, WV
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #4488237

Oh, good! Thanks for writing this fun article! I've noticed there isn't a lot of attention to aquatic plants on DG (but I love all terrestrial plant info!). And I Loooove aquascapes!!! Here's a link to a really informative site if anyone's interested! http://www.plantgeek.net/ Lots of pictures too. =) There are places you can buy online that have clean plants. Some fishies will think that you put them in their own personal salad bowl, but researching and picking your fish is as much fun as picking the plants! And sometimes aquatic plant sites will also carry terrarium & water garden plants! You'll have to watch for minimum orders though. And there are, of course, sellers on ebay. I've only bought from an ebay seller once, and it seems they just took it out of a (not so clean) pond with lots of snails and baby crawdads and all this crazy stuff, but I thought it was great, i got free pets!! lol The plants were beautiful and healthy, and they were a cheap price with flat rate shipping...but watch where you order if you don't want those "freebies!". (My fish ended up eating them anyway. lol but to sterilize the plants you can buy potassium Permangate online.) But there are other sellers on ebay, I'm certainly not condemning it! Here's a site with no minimum order and nice descriptions/photos. http://www.aquariumplants.com/ Local pet shops will usually have plants too, but like the article says watch to make sure they're actually aquatic plants! (especially at walmart!) You don't have to get high tech! There are low light, cold water plants, or high light warm water plants, just do your research! Or, if you want your work cut out..you can buy a plant assortment where they group like plants together, and you get a discount. =) But beware, it's as addictive as any other kind of gardening..lol! Thanks again for writing this article!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Enjoy an Underwater garden, Right in Your Own Livingroom!! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice article tommyr2006 2 Feb 2, 2008 10:43 PM
Cool idea! datgrl 0 Feb 4, 2008 11:44 AM
Aquaculture tips finecas 0 Feb 4, 2008 6:45 PM
from garden to fish tank??? DIRTYGIRL71 3 Jan 5, 2010 3:47 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America