Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Rescued from an undisclosed lawn...

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 112
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2001
11:40 PM

Post #11249

I'm not sure what it is. Knowing my eye, it's probably a weed! But then again, someone probably sells them somewhere, too. It appears to spread by rhizome, or at least by runner. It has tiny flowers. It wasn't much taller than the lawn from which I rescued it today. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Click the image for an enlarged view.

poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2001
11:56 PM

Post #113268

Malva rotundifolia (Low mallow) or possibly malva neglecta (Cheeses). They're related to the Hollyhock mallow and the seedlings look exactly like them. I've left a few in the garden thinking they were the zebrina hollyhock. BTW - the mallows are used as medicinal herbs.
Jerseyguy
Princeton, NJ
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2001
12:16 AM

Post #113277

Do yourself a favor and get rid of it now before it seeds all over your garden, it really is a weed and has little to recommend. There are plenty of mallows that you can plant that are much more attractive than this.
Debby
Milo, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2001
2:41 AM

Post #113356

Gardenwife: Jerseyguy is right, throw it away, you don't want to get those weeds established in your yard or garden. They are perennial and there roots go to china, when you are trying to pull them. Also very invasive, reseeds viciously.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2001
3:58 AM

Post #113391

Oh good! That's what I needed to know.

Tomorrow it's Yoink from this girl's flower bed!

:o) Kimberley

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America