Photo by Melody

Article: Euphorbias for landscaping - the cold-hardy columnar, tree species: Good attempt

Communities > Forums > Article: Euphorbias for landscaping - the cold-hardy columnar, tree species
bookmark
Forum: Article: Euphorbias for landscaping - the cold-hardy columnar, tree speciesReplies: 1, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
desertluv
Fresno, CA

February 4, 2008
4:59 PM

Post #4494435

Informative with good photos. I think you underestimate the knowledge about these plants that many people in California have. http://www.desert-tropicals is a reasonable source of information on the internet.
Plants cannot be identified from photos such as these. Often the flowers or fruits need to be seen.

Euphorbia tortirama might be the right name for Euphorbia tortulana, although I cannot tell from the photo. This also looks like another columnar Euphorbia.

Any article should point out the dangers in handling Euphorbias. Very real danger.

Much of the fun is the time and the effort it takes to learn about these plants. Many sold in commerce are of unreliable origin. Some euphorbias have no original known habitat.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2008
4:25 AM

Post #4497165

Indeed, there is still a LOT to learn about these plants, particularly by us folks living and growing them halfway around the world from where they came. As for mentioning the dangers of Euphorbias, I have discussed that in other articles, and perhaps more articles to come, but I find the dangers are far over emphasized and that these plants are not nearly as dangerous as many claim they are. However, there also appears to be a lot of individual variation in susceptibility to the toxic affects of Euphorbias, at least topically. Some are quite irritated by the saps, while others seem unaffected. Not too many people ingest Euphorbias, or most other toxic succulents for that matter, but few would get much further than a taste as they are so irritation ingestion is probably a rarity. Still, all that is fodder for other articles. this article was simply an introduction to some of the columnar species I see all the time in botanical gardens, and an attempt to get a handle on what the are and how they do in this climate. I obviously failed to make that clear and perhaps I will rewrite the introduction in the future.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Euphorbias for landscaping - the cold-hardy columnar, tree species Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Bad introduction Zigur 13 Feb 5, 2008 9:46 PM
such interesting plants Dutchlady1 0 Feb 3, 2008 11:16 AM
thanks smkennedy 1 Feb 3, 2008 7:24 PM
Very Informative and Interesting bjf826 0 Feb 3, 2008 5:45 PM
Great Article judycooksey 1 Feb 3, 2008 9:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America