Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The Medlar - Strange Fruit, What's Inside of You?: Amazing!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Medlar - Strange Fruit, What's Inside of You?
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Medlar - Strange Fruit, What's Inside of You?Replies: 18, Views: 118
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2008
8:19 AM

Post #4497471

Really enjoyed your article. Very interesting and I think I'd like to try growing one of these trees. I don't know about the blett part, but sources for good but unusual jams and jellies are hard to come by. Thanks for the information. :)
svplantingfool
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 5, 2008
11:39 AM

Post #4497602

What a great article! A new fruit I've never heard of, and a new word of the day for rotten butterfly fruit- bletted! Great read and beautiful pictures, thanks!

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2008
11:48 AM

Post #4497615

Yank that was a great article! And your right, I've never eaten the fruit and didn't know I could grow one here in Maine!!! Thank you for the great info and I learned something new today!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2008
1:43 PM

Post #4497812

Thanks... I love knowing about unusual fruits and vegetables, always looking for new ones to try. However I think I will pass on the medlar.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2008
1:57 PM

Post #4497841

AYC, thanks for my new knowledge for today. I won't run right out and buy one, but this is fascinating. Leave it to you to come up with this one ;0)
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #4498392

I'd never heard of this fruit until reading your article. What an interesting history! It seems people used to be far more willing to covet difficult-to-prepare foods like this one. I'm the first to admit I don't want to work that hard for fruit! :D

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2008
5:51 PM

Post #4498618

Very interesting, Cat! Not sure I'm really into the flesh sucking, seed spitting part though. I prefer the wood for weapons part. I think it's a better way to remove kidney stones anyway - a couple of good blows to the lower back and the stones, seeds and sucked flesh would probably all come flying out.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2008
6:40 PM

Post #4498843

lol !!!

Great article and thanks for the new wrinkle in my grey matter :)

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2008
6:57 PM

Post #4498896

Cool! Hey, Cat, I think I see a joint order to Raintree in our future... ?

I was especially intrigued by the idea of growing it as a potted specimen on the patio...

Thanks for a wonderful article!
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2008
7:06 PM

Post #4498929

Sorry, I already have a medlar - I planted it last spring. The picture of the flower in the article is mine. I didn't let it set fruit because it was just settling in. I figured that even if I didn't like the fruit, the squirrels would and it does make a contribution to the genetic diversity of the area.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

February 5, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #4499112

Well I did know about medlars and Ive been watching the National Clonal Germplasm Repository to see when they would be available.

Im still not sure If they will grow this far South, and from your article Im not sure I would enjoy the fruit! But maybe some of the possums and other critters around here would.

thanks,

gloria
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2008
8:45 PM

Post #4499276

Great article, AYC. Really neat way of combining rotten fruit with literature, history, warfare and critters. You do have a way with words.
thanks.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2008
9:01 PM

Post #4499329

Never heard of them--thanks for the enlightenment! Pretty wood, and I do like cinnamon applesauce, but the critters in these woods would never let me have any. Always fun to learn about unfamiliar plants, though!
amethystsm
belleville, NJ
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2008
9:24 PM

Post #4499386

interesting - makes me wonder what other fruits are out there that i've never heard of!
thanks!

amy

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #4499960

There are several really good and unique fruits out there... I'm planning on writing an article or two on some I use a lot.
soapwort243
South Milwaukee, WI

February 6, 2008
12:52 AM

Post #4500126

This is a very interesting article ! I never heard of this fruit before. It looks good-I wish I could taste one!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #4500163

I'll bet an international market would have it, if you have one locally. Ours is Jungle Jim's, in Fairfield, OH. Long drive for me, but what a fun place!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

February 6, 2008
1:59 AM

Post #4500418

Thank you for the very interesting and fun article! I had also never heard of medlars, but I am always looking for strange and unusual foods...they are just so much fun! I love the beautiful pics of the walking stick...and the description of how they are made rivals some of the elaborate craftwork from the islands...fascinating!

Thanks again!
Yokwe,
Shari
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

February 6, 2008
4:00 AM

Post #4500997

I had not heard of the medlar. Good article.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Medlar - Strange Fruit, What's Inside of You? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
excellent! gradinar 0 Feb 9, 2008 8:06 PM
They Taste Lovely! NEILMUIR1 4 Jan 15, 2010 5:43 PM
You answered one question. ceejaytown 4 Jan 16, 2010 2:55 AM
Mushy and Fruity But Good oikostreecrops 0 Jan 18, 2010 1:57 PM
wonderful article thatswho 1 Jan 18, 2010 7:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America