Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

PlantFiles How-to's: Lichens too :o} ?

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles How-to's
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles How-to'sReplies: 7, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bonitin
Gent
Belgium
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #4498401

Hope I'm not a nuisance in asking if Lichens could also be added in the Category list ?

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2008
4:53 PM

Post #4498414

Can we combine mosses & lichens into one category?
bonitin
Gent
Belgium
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2008
5:12 PM

Post #4498478

Sure! That would be fine. Thanks!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2008
5:19 PM

Post #4498512

Best not to - mosses are more closely related to flowering plants, than they are to lichens. They're in different kingdoms!

Resin

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2008
5:32 PM

Post #4498559

That's an excellent point, and I'm red-faced I didn't raise that objection myself. (I knew there was a reason we had shied away from lichens in PlantFiles in the past ;o)
bonitin
Gent
Belgium
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2008
5:37 PM

Post #4498574

Resin, you made a good point! But then do Lichens belong to the same kingdom as the Fungi ? I know that these are not considered to be plants!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2008
6:53 PM

Post #4498882

Lichens are a symbiotic combination of alga and fungus, so in theory, they fall into two different groups in one go. Not sure how their formal classification works out! Try checking the Tolweb site:
http://www.tolweb.org/Life_on_Earth/1
http://www.tolweb.org/Eukaryotes/3

What could be grouped with mosses is liverworts, they are fairly close (I think! - best check!!)

Resin
bonitin
Gent
Belgium
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2008
11:12 PM

Post #4499780

Thanks Resin, I do understand (feel intuitively) that liverworts are closer to the plant kingdom...and not the lichens I feel are more closely related to the fungi world...

But, alas I think the scientifical nomenclature used in the sites is beyond me...

Post a reply to this thread:

Your message:

You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file.

Upload Images to your reply

-

Other PlantFiles How-to's Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
    Why don't you follow the rules of nomenclature? Terry 1 May 31, 2008 3:40 PM
    Taxonomy changes coming in the PDB Terry 41 Oct 20, 2007 2:03 AM
    How do I search for what is reported to grow well near me? ceallachg 12 Aug 29, 2008 11:27 PM
    Meet your PlantFiles Editors Terry 44 Aug 26, 2010 1:35 AM
    Royalty lilac bigcityal 7 Aug 8, 2007 11:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
    Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America