Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: where are these types of carrots come from?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 5, Views: 78
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
orangehawkweed
Lake Dallas, TX

February 6, 2008
8:29 PM

Post #4503691

Amarillo yellow
lunar white
atomic red
solar yellow
cosmic purple
yellowstone

I can't find any info on the origin of any of these carrots. Are they newly developed types? With snappy sounding names like that, I would think theyare recently bred. Who bred them? Or are they old heirloom types? If they have been around for a long time, what part of the world did they come from.

Why are seed catalogs so mysterious on the source of their seeds? It is like they fell out of the sky.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2008 2:51 PM
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2008
9:01 PM

Post #4503798

Colored carrots have been around since the Roman Empire. However most of the current cultivars are quite new introductions.

Lunar White - Seeds by Design, an op probably originating in China.
Atomic Red - An op that has grown in popularity very recently among home gardeners. Asian and probably Japanese Origen.
Solar Yellow- also an Asian Op.
Cosmic Purple- Released by the USDA in 2005.
Amarillo Yellow- I have not the faintest idea.

Seed vendors seldom identify the sources of seed, probably because most folks don't care. OP seeds can can grown and distributed by anybody unless PVP. These are not distributed to commercial growers so not a lot is known about them.
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2008
4:21 PM

Post #4507192

Interesting to know, orangehawkweed.
orangehawkweed
Lake Dallas, TX

February 11, 2008
6:40 PM

Post #4524493

farmer dill

you are always such a wealth of information! Thanks.

It is odd, I can't find a thing on Amarillo yellow carrot.

orangehawkweed
Lake Dallas, TX

February 16, 2008
5:24 PM

Post #4546401

I e-mailed a company selling Amarillo yellow carrot. They stated they got the seeds from western hybrid seed. And that this same company, developed them about 10 years ago. They also stated these seeds are not hybrid that is just the company name.
Awchid
Gisborne
New Zealand

February 19, 2008
4:21 AM

Post #4558325

Thankyou for answering my question and I hadn't even asked it yet. Thanks OrangeHW great minds think alike. Had a health drink my
daughter had been given the other day one was brocolli juice and other fruit the other was purple carrot juice with orange and grape.
They both sounded weird and they were both reaaly nice. Purple carrots would look rather nice dished up with the purple potatoes I
grow, they are purple right thru to. You could have a palate of food,.lol. I will have to go look for some seed now and give them a try.
I have heard of white carrots tho.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America