Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Seed Starting 101: The Dreaded Damping Off (and How to Prevent It): Very good info

Communities > Forums > Article: Seed Starting 101: The Dreaded Damping Off (and How to Prevent It)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Seed Starting 101: The Dreaded Damping Off (and How to Prevent It)Replies: 14, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2008
3:43 PM

Post #4507027

Thanks Critter, I'll be starting my flats soon, been winter sowing (first time WS). I have not had dampening off problems before and never did any pre teatment to flats other then them being new. I think I will do this treament now tho, I don't want to take any more chances. I had heard about the cinnamon dusting and I did that for the first time last year, and all went well .

But I'm going to start some flats under a grow light this season where as I just used the dinning room huge south window, grew thousands of plants, tomatoes and peppers mostly without problems. I'm getting into flowers now so I'm in a new playing field and I want the soil to be safe. So I do thank you for the good information of prevention of dampening off.

Just read your post on your soil in the microwave and you on the phone, and little coals firing up, lol. Sounds like things around here that happen. lol

Hey thanks again , learning more and more and I have veggie garden for many years. That goes to tell ya, never to old to learn more : )

take good care and thanks again, very good artical and thanks for the links as well

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2008
3:52 PM

Post #4507062

I'm glad you're enjoying the articles! I think you're going to see a big difference in the sturdiness of your seedlings under the lights (keep the seedlings close to the bulbs). I've never (knock on wood) had a problem with damping-off either, but since it's simple enough to sterilize the soil and add a little peroxide to the water, I figure why not take those precautions. It sounds like your reasoning is about the same.

Happy sowing, and best of luck with your veggies and flowers this year!
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2008
4:03 PM

Post #4507102

Great information, but ain't no way I'm sterilizing soil again. It smells awful.
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2008
4:06 PM

Post #4507114

Thank you critter,

You know thinking about my seedlings they have been skinny growing them in the window. So I'm very excited to use the grow lights for the first time. : )

Thanks again and happy growing to you this season.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2008
4:06 PM

Post #4507116

Did you do it in the oven or in the microwave? There's a whiff of scent when I open the lid of the container after sterilizing in the microwave, but it's about 0.01% of the effect of baking it in the oven.
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2008
4:13 PM

Post #4507146

Used the oven, it wasn't pretty.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2008
4:16 PM

Post #4507163

Try the microwave... take it out into the garage if you don't trust me, but try it... or just take the container out into the garage after you seal down the lid (before you open it). I promise it won't stink up the kitchen.
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2008
4:18 PM

Post #4507178

I'll have to find a yard sale microwave, no way I'm using my good one.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2008
4:27 PM

Post #4507218

Good article, Jill.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #4507320

Sheesh. Some people have no faith. When you come to the tea party, you can microwave some soil mix, and then you'll see what I'm talking about.

Thanks, Darius!
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2008
8:47 PM

Post #4508343

Another great article Jill !
angele

February 8, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #4509460

Wow! I have had this problem so often. Thanks for a great, informative & simple to apply article.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2008
2:42 AM

Post #4509930

I've learned a lot hanging around DG... this article was mostly about gathering together the info and tips I've come across. (You can tell from that "Fire in the Hole!" thread that there was some trial & error as I learned to apply the information, LOL. ) But a lot of the credit goes to the experts in the propagation forum who answered my questions over the years and posted their own experiences!

Hopefully, you'll be able to ward off the problem and have some sturdy seedlings for your garden this year. Happy sowing!
rachel211
Springdale, PA

February 25, 2008
11:23 AM

Post #4585280

graat informative article
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #4586031

Thanks, I'm glad it was helpful! :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Seed Starting 101: The Dreaded Damping Off (and How to Prevent It) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Shelf life daylilydaddy 5 Feb 7, 2008 4:58 PM
Thanks so much! kd2000 3 Feb 7, 2008 7:49 PM
Just what I needed (sob!) Fleurs 5 Apr 1, 2008 6:39 PM
A timely article pamsaplantin 4 Mar 4, 2008 6:19 AM
Newbie here with a few questions Berrywrap 3 Apr 11, 2008 8:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America