Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Seed Starting 101: The Dreaded Damping Off (and How to Prevent It): Shelf life

Communities > Forums > Article: Seed Starting 101: The Dreaded Damping Off (and How to Prevent It)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Seed Starting 101: The Dreaded Damping Off (and How to Prevent It)Replies: 5, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2008
4:18 PM

Post #4507179

Hey Critter!!
How long do you think the peroxide and water mixture can be stored and still be effective? I know to keep it in a dark colored bottle(since it comes in one, duh), but I know I would not use all of it at one misting and I stagger my seed starting.
THANKS!
George
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #4507296

Since the stuff you get at the drugstore is already effectively a diluted solution, I would think you could dilute it further and hold it a while as long as you keep it in a dark bottle as you said... but I don't have a definite answer. I make up strong chamomile tea and keep it in the fridge, then dilute as needed...

I don't really mist my seedlings, but I use the peroxide when I water them when they're little... so I guess I go through the peroxide water a little faster.
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #4507315

I guess using it for watering would be better than misting since the fungus is in the soil more. Right?
George
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2008
4:51 PM

Post #4507331

I also figure I'm more likely to get into trouble with misting because then the foliage is wet -- to me, that seems like it could just invite fungal disease. Big greenhouse growers need to mist to keep humidity levels up, but I don't think we need misting on our little light shelves... at least, not misting works fine for me. :-)

(If you mist and that works for you -- keep doing it! Don't fix it if it isn't broken... there are lots of "right" ways to do things.)
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2008
4:56 PM

Post #4507365

Makes sense!
THANKS!
George
I forgot to say what a great article. This year I am starting some pretty special seeds for myself and others. In the past I have never had a problem with damping off, but this year I have to be extra cautious.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2008
4:58 PM

Post #4507374

You're welcome... Good luck & have fun with your seedlings!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Seed Starting 101: The Dreaded Damping Off (and How to Prevent It) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very good info Lindawalkabout 14 Feb 25, 2008 3:30 PM
Thanks so much! kd2000 3 Feb 7, 2008 7:49 PM
Just what I needed (sob!) Fleurs 5 Apr 1, 2008 6:39 PM
A timely article pamsaplantin 4 Mar 4, 2008 6:19 AM
Newbie here with a few questions Berrywrap 3 Apr 11, 2008 8:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America