Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Seed Starting 101: The Dreaded Damping Off (and How to Prevent It): Shelf life

Communities > Forums > Article: Seed Starting 101: The Dreaded Damping Off (and How to Prevent It)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Seed Starting 101: The Dreaded Damping Off (and How to Prevent It)Replies: 5, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2008
4:18 PM

Post #4507179

Hey Critter!!
How long do you think the peroxide and water mixture can be stored and still be effective? I know to keep it in a dark colored bottle(since it comes in one, duh), but I know I would not use all of it at one misting and I stagger my seed starting.
THANKS!
George
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #4507296

Since the stuff you get at the drugstore is already effectively a diluted solution, I would think you could dilute it further and hold it a while as long as you keep it in a dark bottle as you said... but I don't have a definite answer. I make up strong chamomile tea and keep it in the fridge, then dilute as needed...

I don't really mist my seedlings, but I use the peroxide when I water them when they're little... so I guess I go through the peroxide water a little faster.
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #4507315

I guess using it for watering would be better than misting since the fungus is in the soil more. Right?
George
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2008
4:51 PM

Post #4507331

I also figure I'm more likely to get into trouble with misting because then the foliage is wet -- to me, that seems like it could just invite fungal disease. Big greenhouse growers need to mist to keep humidity levels up, but I don't think we need misting on our little light shelves... at least, not misting works fine for me. :-)

(If you mist and that works for you -- keep doing it! Don't fix it if it isn't broken... there are lots of "right" ways to do things.)
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2008
4:56 PM

Post #4507365

Makes sense!
THANKS!
George
I forgot to say what a great article. This year I am starting some pretty special seeds for myself and others. In the past I have never had a problem with damping off, but this year I have to be extra cautious.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2008
4:58 PM

Post #4507374

You're welcome... Good luck & have fun with your seedlings!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Seed Starting 101: The Dreaded Damping Off (and How to Prevent It) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very good info Lindawalkabout 14 Feb 25, 2008 3:30 PM
Thanks so much! kd2000 3 Feb 7, 2008 7:49 PM
Just what I needed (sob!) Fleurs 5 Apr 1, 2008 6:39 PM
A timely article pamsaplantin 4 Mar 4, 2008 6:19 AM
Newbie here with a few questions Berrywrap 3 Apr 11, 2008 8:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America