Photo by Melody

Article: Seed Starting 101: The Dreaded Damping Off (and How to Prevent It): Thanks so much!

Communities > Forums > Article: Seed Starting 101: The Dreaded Damping Off (and How to Prevent It)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Seed Starting 101: The Dreaded Damping Off (and How to Prevent It)Replies: 3, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kd2000
toronto
Canada

February 7, 2008
4:41 PM

Post #4507290

Critter thanks so much - I am just getting going on wintersowing and will be sure to use your damp off tips when things (hopefully) start to sprout. Thanks again,.KD
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2008
4:54 PM

Post #4507346

With winter sowing, damping off doesn't really seem to be an issue. I think the fungal pathogens can overwhelm the little seedlings in the artificial conditions of indoor seed starting... but outside, the cold or the additional air circulation or something just seems to prevent problems like that.

Yet another reason to try winter sowing! :-)

(See my article on Feb 2 for an introduction, if "winter sowing" sounds like a new but intriguing concept... we have an entire forum devoted to it at DG!)
kd2000
toronto
Canada

February 7, 2008
7:42 PM

Post #4508065

Thanks Critter:-)) I have actually got about 40 pots in my garage at present and will be putting them out shortly, but a few I am going to half wintersow in an unheated sunroom (japanese maple), so I will be trying your chamomile tea solution. I was wondering should I water indoor seedlings with this solution everytime or once a week, or just once? Thanks again, KD
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2008
7:49 PM

Post #4508095

I don't think either chamomile tea or hydrogen peroxide added to the water would ever be a bad thing... it's just a matter of how many times you want to fuss with it. I tend to do it when the seedlings are little, because that seems to be when they're most prone to damping off. After they've been up-potted and are looking sturdy, I make them drink regular water like everybody else (well, sometimes they get a bit of fertilizer, usually at 1/4 strength, but I don't know if I'd recommend that for your maple seedlings).

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Seed Starting 101: The Dreaded Damping Off (and How to Prevent It) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very good info Lindawalkabout 14 Feb 25, 2008 3:30 PM
Shelf life daylilydaddy 5 Feb 7, 2008 4:58 PM
Just what I needed (sob!) Fleurs 5 Apr 1, 2008 6:39 PM
A timely article pamsaplantin 4 Mar 4, 2008 6:19 AM
Newbie here with a few questions Berrywrap 3 Apr 11, 2008 8:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America