Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Landscaping: What will grow on the east side of a home?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 7, Views: 104
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
eden100
Edinburg, IL
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2008
1:00 AM

Post #4513607

At the height of summer there is direct sun until about 2pm on, less sun of course in the spring and fall. What kind of flowering bushes or perennial flowers will grow that won't be affected by radical sun change? Average clay soil and watering will not be a problem.
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2008
2:46 AM

Post #4514100

Rugosa or rambler roses would probably do well. Butterfly bushes, Rose of Sharon, you need to keep them trimmed back, but the hummers love em. Geez, I'm drawing a blank here. LOL I'm sure there are many, many more for you to chose from. And more folks will be able to help with this.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2008
2:53 AM

Post #4514134

You can probably grow a pretty good variety of plants--you get enough hours of sun that many full sun plants will do OK there (unless they're the sort that really like the blazing late afternoon heat), and since you have only morning and early afternoon sun, you can probably also grow some things that want part shade.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

February 9, 2008
4:05 AM

Post #4514454

Almost anything as the East is often more protected from late/early frosts and by the time winter sun reaches that part, then even tender buds on shrubs wont be defrosted by the warmer direct sun on them so the buds dont get killed off as in Camelias etc.
I would say you are luck enough to be able to grow just about anything that can tolerate your zone, more tender plants can be given either a good winter mulch of leaf mould or wood chips if you forcast severe frosts. the good thing about East facing is flowering shrubs and Perennials, they much prefere that site than hot blazing sun all day or late evening. As for your clay soil try get hold of as much compost/animal manure as possible to enrich the soil and help break it up to allow air into it, this also helps retain food for longer and the plants benefit as there roots wont freeze come really freezing winter weather, so get along to the library/book store and look at plant books with pictures of landscaping and borders as these will give you some great ideas as to what plants look good together in beds etc and colours that blend together also, it is fun planing areas that you thought would be a chalenge only to be surprised at the choices you have. good luck. Weenel.
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

February 9, 2008
2:14 PM

Post #4515255

The east side of my house gets summer sun through about 1 in the afternoon. I have a florabunda rose, Lady Banks rose, azaleas, daylilies, jasmine, coneflowers, dwarf ornamental grass (Hamlin) and clematis. All of them have been thriving very nicely since I planted them about 3 years ago. My soil is also clay to which I added lots of organic stuff (mostly cow manure and peat moss). I mulch with cedar wood chips to help control the weeds. Hope this helps with a few ideas.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

February 15, 2008
12:27 AM

Post #4539405

Our house in WI grew peonies on the east side without shade. Same plants growing here in MA on east with partial shade.
pandora125
Symsonia, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #4542930

i amended my clay soil on the east side of the house and planted cleome, dahlia, rosa rugosa and other roses, hollyhocks, gladiolas, moonflower vine(annual here). summer sun is harsh in the afternoon here.

Thumbnail by pandora125
Click the image for an enlarged view.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

February 15, 2008
8:18 PM

Post #4542998

pandora 125 Looks great we can all get good ideas from others. I have a candy tuft in front of one set of peonies & basket of gold alyssum on the other, that one is fading out & needs to be replaced, also have a short daylily and medium sized blueberry bush on that side.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America