Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Introduction to Caudiciform Plants, Also Known as Fat Plants: These are amazing!

Communities > Forums > Article: Introduction to Caudiciform Plants, Also Known as Fat Plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Introduction to Caudiciform Plants, Also Known as Fat PlantsReplies: 9, Views: 96
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2008
1:40 PM

Post #4515152

Wow, these are absolutely amazing looking plants. I had no idea there were so many different varieties. Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing :)
planolinda
Plano, TX

February 9, 2008
2:56 PM

Post #4515435

i loved looking at all those photos--thanks for all the time and effort it must have taken to get all those examples for us to see--you must have quite a collection yourself--i found i have one-the ponytail plant--i would love to try one of the bonsai type with the roots twisted above the soil--but then i loved so many --i will be looking for them in nurseries!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2008
3:07 PM

Post #4515476

Another fascinating photo-essay on a type of plant I knew little about! Thanks, Bob!

I've got some adeniums that I could use a little advice on... I grew them from seed, and they're looking reasonably healthy with fat, firm "trunks" and crowns of 4 to 6 leaves at the tops. But due to some issues over the summer, when they got a little too dry, the foliage is unsightly, with yellow/brown edges. Could I repot them (they're looking pretty cramped in their 2 inch pots) to stimulate new leaf growth and then just strip off the older foliage? If I remove the old leaves now, will they grow new ones as if coming out of dormancy? I sure don't want to kill them, but I'd like them to look a bit better...

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2008
3:51 PM

Post #4515668

You can certainly remove the old leaves without doing damage (be careful if you pull them off not to rip of the branches). These plants LIKE to be crammed into a small pot, but if the pot is starting to split, then it might be a good idea to pot them up
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2008
4:02 PM

Post #4515718

OK... Can I remove old leaves before new ones appear? I think they have gone semi-dormant over the winter, but the old leaves have not actually dropped off...
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2008
9:28 PM

Post #4516859

Fantastic info as always, I had no idea!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2008
10:26 PM

Post #4517013

BTW, thanks for letting me know the adeniums like to be pot bound... I think I once killed a pony tail palm by up-potting it (but truly, the pot was splitting!).
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2008
2:26 AM

Post #4518036

I love "fat plants", too! I once had a ponytail palm that my mother killed while I was in the army. I was so disappointed!
I didn't know there were so many kinds, either--fascinating article!
mayniac69
New Castle, IN

August 21, 2008
6:08 PM

Post #5447759

I see a few varieties at Walmart and they always put stone around them and it's superglued in there. Are these salvageable?
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2009
6:00 AM

Post #7379146

Geoff, you have outdone yourself, I am trying to figure out which to get myself and I literally copied 70% to evenote to price and read up on Bihrmanns.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Introduction to Caudiciform Plants, Also Known as Fat Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Can you ID the Pelargonium AnalogDog 2 Dec 18, 2009 5:48 PM
A big fat WOW! binibusybee 0 Mar 1, 2010 6:34 PM
Caudiciform plants Napergal 1 Mar 3, 2010 3:16 AM
Awesome Malestrom 0 Aug 26, 2010 12:57 PM
Euphorbia serrulata Roaringwater 2 Aug 27, 2011 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America