Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: Best Tomatoes for container growing in N. Texas

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 3, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
txgdnr
Grand Prairie, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 10, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #4519732

I am going to grow tomatoes in containers this year, on a patio. I need suggestions for varieties that will not get overly tall, but will also be flavorful. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2008
4:06 PM

Post #4523937

Hi,

Sorry no one has answered you. I've not grown tomatoes in containers, so I don't know. Lots of people grow tomatoes in earth boxes, which I've not tried either. There are many people on the tomato forum, I know, who have grown them in containers and earth boxes. Try posting this question there.

Good luck,

Karen

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2008
5:12 PM

Post #4524220

Look for "determinate" tomato cultivars with "bush" in the name. Determinate plants tend to grow to a specific size. They'd probably be easiest to grow. The disadvantage to determinates is that they normally produce all their ripe fruit in a short period of time.

You can scan through the Plantfiles information for opinions on flavor. Here's a link to search results for "tomato bush determinate". http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search.php?q=tomato+bush+determinate&Search=Search+PlantFiles

David
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2008
6:43 AM

Post #4553982

Grew it in the dirt but "Lime Green Salad" is a juicy tasty tomato which works, I've read, in pots. Very dense foliage. Almost like a canopy. That might help in your heat. Real surprise to lift up the leaves and see thick clusters of 2 to 4 ounce fruit.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America