Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening
Forum: Beginner GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
Grand Prairie, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 10, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #4519732

I am going to grow tomatoes in containers this year, on a patio. I need suggestions for varieties that will not get overly tall, but will also be flavorful. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2008
4:06 PM

Post #4523937

Sorry no one has answered you. I've not grown tomatoes in containers, so I don't know. Lots of people grow tomatoes in earth boxes, which I've not tried either. There are many people on the tomato forum, I know, who have grown them in containers and earth boxes. Try posting this question there.

Good luck,

Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2008
5:12 PM

Post #4524220

Look for "determinate" tomato cultivars with "bush" in the name. Determinate plants tend to grow to a specific size. They'd probably be easiest to grow. The disadvantage to determinates is that they normally produce all their ripe fruit in a short period of time.

You can scan through the Plantfiles information for opinions on flavor. Here's a link to search results for "tomato bush determinate".

Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2008
6:43 AM

Post #4553982

Grew it in the dirt but "Lime Green Salad" is a juicy tasty tomato which works, I've read, in pots. Very dense foliage. Almost like a canopy. That might help in your heat. Real surprise to lift up the leaves and see thick clusters of 2 to 4 ounce fruit.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America