Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Best Tomatoes for container growing in N. Texas

Grand Prairie, TX(Zone 8a)

I am going to grow tomatoes in containers this year, on a patio. I need suggestions for varieties that will not get overly tall, but will also be flavorful. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Sorry no one has answered you. I've not grown tomatoes in containers, so I don't know. Lots of people grow tomatoes in earth boxes, which I've not tried either. There are many people on the tomato forum, I know, who have grown them in containers and earth boxes. Try posting this question there.

Good luck,

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Look for "determinate" tomato cultivars with "bush" in the name. Determinate plants tend to grow to a specific size. They'd probably be easiest to grow. The disadvantage to determinates is that they normally produce all their ripe fruit in a short period of time.

You can scan through the Plantfiles information for opinions on flavor. Here's a link to search results for "tomato bush determinate". http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search.php?q=tomato+bush+determinate&Search=Search+PlantFiles

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Grew it in the dirt but "Lime Green Salad" is a juicy tasty tomato which works, I've read, in pots. Very dense foliage. Almost like a canopy. That might help in your heat. Real surprise to lift up the leaves and see thick clusters of 2 to 4 ounce fruit.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.