Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict: Just call me "Plant Junkie"!

Communities > Forums > Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict
bookmark
Forum: Article: True Confessions of a Gardening AddictReplies: 4, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenbugde
Smyrna, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2008
8:32 PM

Post #4520419

Hi Jeremy,

I can't wait to have my DH read this. I thoroughly enjoyed your confession! I come by my addiction honestly, as my Grandfather and Great Grandmother were farmers. I really started becoming interested in gardening about 4 years ago, when we moved to a house, where I could plant anything I wanted. Plants live in the house,taking up every surface that receives light, and even though there's really not much more room for more, I still find myself bringing more of them home! I sneak plants in when DH isn't around, and then wait for him to notice them (sometimes days later). I love to propagate and share. I love to try to grow things from seed, just to see if I can do it. I rescued 2 large Christmas Cactus from my Mom, repotted them, and then turned around and sold them (after taking pieces for myself)! I'd rather be a plant junkie than any other... more power to us!
Kathy
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2008
8:43 PM

Post #4520513

Thanks, Kathy! I am always glad to find another person caught up in the joy of plant addiction (it is one habit that we can really say we "suffer" from, because it does seem to bring happiness to so many).

I believe I may wake up some morning to find that my toes have grown roots and my red blood cells have been replaced by chlorophyll. I seem to live and breathe plants most every moment of my life these days.

Happy Gardening!

Jeremy

gardenbugde
Smyrna, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2008
11:13 PM

Post #4525450

Hi again,

It's nice of you to respond to the posts that are left. A lot of folks don't. I hate to go away for more than one day, because I don't trust anyone to water my gardens in the summer. Do you have the same problem?

Kathy
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2008
1:19 AM

Post #4525991

Hi, Kathy. I finally reached a point where I won't allow anyone to do anything in my garden! I found that no matter what menial task I asked someone to help me with (emptying pots of dirt from the dead annuals from the cull packs, or especially something like mowing), they always ended up harming some wildflower (which most would call a weed) that I was protecting for some reason. I, too, feel tied to my house for all but the briefest trips away because I can't trust anyone to water or otherwise look after my plants, so I guess we are both true plant addicts in that regard!

You might enjoy this AP newspaper article that happened as a result of my plant addiction story. A freelance writer for the Associated Press contacted me for an interview about "extreme gardening." I enjoyed the article, but I wish they could have run some of the zany photos of my duck, Gilbert, and me. He definitely upstaged me for the photo shoot! LOL
http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080206/GJLIFESTYLES_01/472103871

Jeremy
gardenbugde
Smyrna, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2008
12:13 AM

Post #4530285

Hi!

"Extreme Gardening"... I LOVE THAT! The news article was great. An idea for a new show--- "Extreme Makeover: Garden Edition".

I find it hard to get good help when it comes to cleaning up/tearing up/cleaning out/weeding out/transplanting, etc... because, inevitably, I'll say... "You're doing it wrong". SIGH. Although... one of my daughters is learning, and she'll probably be the one who "gets it" in the long run. Have a great day, and say hello to Gilbert for me!

-Kathy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant Addicts Unite! chrissy100 35 Oct 29, 2007 1:19 AM
Jeremy, what a saga! Happy_1 11 Oct 28, 2007 3:09 PM
By request: Enlargeable photos - 1 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 4:54 PM
By request: Enlargeable photo 2 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 6:43 PM
By request: Enlargeable photo 3 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 5:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America