Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: seed sowing or seedlings indoors now?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 4, Views: 85
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shubbard
Oologah, OK

February 10, 2008
9:40 PM

Post #4520719

new at veggies. want to plant bell peppers,roma tomatoes, scallions, red onion,lettuce,new potatoes, banana peppers and 1 mild chili pepper. not sure if all of these will grow here, still have to do my homework. (zone 6- OK)Once i know, is it better to start seeds now indoors, or wait until after lat frost and sow seed directly into garden? also any suggestions on good barriers other than expensive fencing? out in the country here with plenty of critters to eat those veggies. I dont mind sharing a few, but would like to have some left.LOL and what about keeping the birds away? sorry so many questions, havent done my reading yet, but like hearing all the advice here,, first hand knowledge yaknow..thnx, sh
chickenrancher
Nova, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2008
11:14 PM

Post #4521060

Hello Shubbard, Yes you can grow all the veggies you listed above in your zone. You will want to start the peppers and tomatoes indoors. The lettuce can be grown either way. Scallions and onions and potatoes get direct sown. Here is a link to a great article on growing potatoes!
davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/435/

As for garden pests a dog is a good deterrent for rabbits and squirrels (at least mine are). There are always plant combos that will help like Marigolds help with rabbits. I would suggest looking up (online or in a library) for the specific pest. Birds don't like shiny things so a lot of people hang pie pans in their gardens. Personally, I don't since hummingbirds like to visit my pea flowers and take showers in the hose when I water the garden!!!

Also, it will depend on how big your garden is as to how much you are likely to lose to pests. Good luck.
Megan
shubbard
Oologah, OK

February 12, 2008
8:56 PM

Post #4529382

Great! Thanks so much! I dont have the dimensions yet, but I am thinkg 12 x 12, or close. just enough to plant a few rows, its just my husband and myself, and whatever I can freeze, or give away at work. I just got so fed up with the prices of fresh foods, that have no flavor to them, I am going to try it myself! I had a few cherry tomatoes plants a few years back, and they were sooo good. our dogs are behind thier own chain link area, but maybe thats why I havent seen too many rabbitts, cuz they bark at everything! I will read and get the pots and cages for the tomatoes,peppers. even if its just enough for the 2 of us to eat, thats fine with me! saves me a bundle and alot more fun! I should be ready to sow then after last frost. thanks for the link! going to read up on it now!
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2008
12:19 PM

Post #4532329

For your potatoes try my method, see this article: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/435/ I'm sure you are gonna love the taste. It sure makes a difference!
Pughbear7
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2008
2:49 PM

Post #4541484

Chickenrancher is corect on everything. You might try the extension service either online or in person. They have great articles on oklahoma specifics.
Dave. Tulsa OK

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America