Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Rhubarb: A Plant for the Ages: Rhubarb

Communities > Forums > Article: Rhubarb: A Plant for the Ages
bookmark
Forum: Article: Rhubarb: A Plant for the AgesReplies: 23, Views: 215
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
donoboy
Swansea
United Kingdom

February 11, 2008
11:39 AM

Post #4523024

I often make rhubarb tart its tasty,and i also boil the leaves to make insect reppelant.
Icant show a photo of my rhubarb bed as i dont know how to do it yet.
Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2008
12:39 PM

Post #4523107

Thanks for the article and recipes!!

I am teetering on rubarb. I am afraid my climate
is too hot. It is officially zone 7a, and we do have
a few days in the 90s in summer, and a two or three
reach 100, it is claimed. Would you advise me???
Thanks!
Fitsy

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2008
1:13 PM

Post #4523197

Interesting article. I have always had rhubarb, since my mother always great it.

I ordered some "canadian" rhubarb for my lil garden for this year, and i'm very excited about it, as i make a great strawberry rhubarb pie ... but it will be hard to wait until next year for a harvest.

I was unaware of the use of leaves to keep pests away... I may try this for my slug troubles.

thanks for your article,
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2008
1:31 PM

Post #4523268

Do the stalks have to be bright red to be edible? I planted crowns last year and they grew huge leaves but the stalks never turned red.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2008
1:43 PM

Post #4523308

i'd say not,since the plants i currently have do not get red.

i'm certainly no expert... but i believe red is a bit sweeter...

the ones i have i cook with, with no troubles at all. [i brought 2 plants with me when i moved from my old house ... i also found they are not doing as well as they did at my old house]
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2008
2:17 PM

Post #4523429

Mine of many years (25) is not red, but I have never eaten it. I understand from asking about it last year on DG that it is edible. And now that I see the recipes in this article that don't include strawberries, I will try one. I am not much on strawberries. I have always grown it as an ornamental plant in my garden and love it's eruption in the spring. Thanks, Patti

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2008
2:33 PM

Post #4523501

my mother was always very creative with rhubarb... sauce [like apple sauce], rhubarb in place of zucchini for bread, jam... the list goes on.

I also made a "crisp" of sorts, and it was really good.

you can just google rhubarb recipes ... there are a ton of them out there.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 11, 2008
4:01 PM

Post #4523918

Great article! I love rhubarb raw. It's one of my favorite things to chew on while working in the yard. Along with asparagus and mint leaves. :)

Rhubarb doesn't have to be red to eat. Some varieties don't get much more than a red tinge to them.

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2008
5:57 PM

Post #4524365

Fitsy

Give it a try, what do you have to lose??

Paul
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2008
9:54 PM

Post #4525132

Nice article and great recipes Paul - thanks!
soapwort243
South Milwaukee, WI

February 11, 2008
10:47 PM

Post #4525329

I have rhubarb and make rhubarb crisp- almost the same recipe as given, But raw ?! I can't eat it it raw! Too sour !
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

February 12, 2008
3:33 AM

Post #4526760

Paul, thanks for another great article. Love rhubarb! Here's a yummy concoction we cook up for various "red" holidays:

RHUBARB CAKE

Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 cups rhubarb
3/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 3 oz pkg strawberry jello
1 pkg white cake mix
2 cups miniature marshmallows

Prepare white cake according to pkg directions. Put marshmallows in 13x9x2 inch prepared cake pan. Cook rhubarb water and sugar for 5-7 minutes, until starting to thicken. Add jello. Stir and set aside. Pour cake mix over the marshmallows in pan. Spoon rhubarb mixture on top. Bake at 350 until golden brown on top and cake springs back. Serve with whipped cream and berries if desired.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2008
3:41 AM

Post #4526795

OH YUM!!! that sounds awesome!!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

February 12, 2008
4:21 AM

Post #4526953

It is really moist and yummy. Oh - and adding the red jello gives any rhubarb recipe the "red" that we think of as "rhubarb"...most stems lose that color when you wash em anyway.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2010
1:38 AM

Post #7570573

I see I am a year late.. but I will post a punch recipe I have later on.. but great info in the article.. I bought a full size plant and started my own from seeds last year.. can't wait.. then I won't have to steal any from my neighbor anymore!!

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #7571923

I have made that cake for years and will attest to the fact that it ts delicious. My rhubarb is starting to come up, so cake, pie and sauce not far away.
Nice article. Guess I should fertilize more.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2010
5:47 PM

Post #7571954

thanks for the reminder to post the punch.. oops

from a cook book from Well Sweep Herb Farm

Thumbnail by onewish1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

John11840
Higganum, CT

February 22, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #7579496

I have heard that rhubarb should not be harvested after august in New England. Can anyone confirm if this is true, or an "old wives" tale?
ScreaminScott
Dallas, GA

February 23, 2010
12:57 AM

Post #7580357

My wife & I eat Rhubarb raw as well...I'll strip off the outermost layer & then dip it in a small bowl of sugar...MMM-MMM good!...I'm originally from Wisconsin & my Grandmother used to grow it...I now live in Georgia & look forward to being able to find some in the store...
Erminetrude
Oxford
United Kingdom

February 23, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7581916

I love rhubarb. I have some which is always green still very tasty. I put it with apple juice and zap it in the microwave until soft then cool and eat it with plain yoghurt.

I force one plant each year, by putting a large ceramic flower pot over the top, so you get very early very tender very tasty young shoots. It then needs to rest the following year.

I usually stop harvesting about August to give the plant time to build up its strength for the winter, by that time there are lots of other fruits to eat.

In Yorkshire they put it into dark sheds with rotting manure underneath to warm it up. And produce particularly tasty stems.
sisterbelle
Big Bear Lake, CA

March 14, 2010
2:19 PM

Post #7628890

my rhubarb stems remain pencil thin. i've planted plants in the hot house, in the ground directly, and in containers in different areas of the yard. i fertilized some with manure (they look the best), but still spindly stems. could it be the altitude? we live at almost 7000 ft. i've been experimenting for almost 10 yrs. i waited 2 yrs. before picking. i water every other day and mulch as we are living in a drought /controlled watering community. any advice?
enyeholt
Village of Port Clem
Canada

March 22, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #7648990

Sisterbelle your rhubarb must need lots and lots of manure. Don't be sparse with it. Too much is not a problem. Also it needs to be below the roots when you plant, and then top dressed and watered in. I have never heard of altitude affecting Rhubarb. But I live at sea level, so I;m not sure. It grows in Calgary Alta, which is fairly high.
DameAnneWorthit
Lake Park, GA

April 13, 2010
12:37 PM

Post #7702846

Great stuff here; I remember when I was a kid in Illinois, we would raid the neighborhood "crabby man"s rhubarb patch to eat it raw. No wonder he was crabby!

I am going to try something I heard of recently: growing rhubarb as an annual, since South Georgia is too warm for perennial rhubarb. (I SO miss peonies, too). Apparently, you plant the seeds in August and harvest March-May. Will let y'all know how it goes.
enyeholt
Village of Port Clem
Canada

April 14, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #7705004

My Rhubarb is ready for the first feed! ( Pacific NW )
Usually I make pies or crisp. Or just stew it up. If you stew it, try adding the sugar after it is cooked, you need less sugar to make it sweet then. I don't know why! But I do know less sugar is good.

I will definitely try the marshmallow cake mix dessert... thanks.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Rhubarb: A Plant for the Ages Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Rhubarb steve66 2 Feb 20, 2010 8:47 PM
rhubarb in compost gleichen 2 Mar 22, 2010 6:16 PM
Rhubarb transplanting lockej 2 Feb 26, 2008 8:01 AM
orchid photos Alohapearl2 0 Feb 19, 2010 4:21 AM
rhubarb & arthritis enyeholt 2 Feb 12, 2012 6:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America