Photo by Melody

Article: Hardy Hibiscus--Hardier Than You Think: I love them too!

Communities > Forums > Article: Hardy Hibiscus--Hardier Than You Think
bookmark
Forum: Article: Hardy Hibiscus--Hardier Than You ThinkReplies: 2, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
suefalls
Sioux Falls, SD

February 11, 2008
2:32 PM

Post #4523493

I am glad you wrote this great article to let people know about these beautiful plants! I am in zone 4, and it is hard to believe that they come back year after year here too! The first couple that I planted didn't come back the next year, so I thought that they might not be hardy here. I enjoyed them so much though that I planted a few more that year,and figured I would still enjoy as an annual. I have now enjoyed these same plants for 3 years, and they are more beuatiful each year! So don't give up if they don't make it the first try!
MarthaJS
Caledon, Ontario
Canada

February 11, 2008
4:10 PM

Post #4523953

Great article, Lee Ann. Right now in my garden the temperature is near 0 Fahrenheit, and my hardy hibiscus are buried under about three feet of snow, but I have no fear for them--they will return. I also don't give them any winter protection. They are quite easy to grow from seed, if you can find the seed--not that easy to find. As you pointed out, they come up later than most perennials, well into June for me, but then they grow very fast and bloom by August. One summer when mine were young, I dropped something heavy on one of them and broke it right down to the ground. I thought it was done for, but sure enough the next summer there it was, completely forgiving of its bad treatment. A wonderful plant!
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2008
4:13 AM

Post #4526928

I have over 20 of these beauties from pure white to deep red. I love them and they are the spotlight of my garden from late July to fall. Thank you for the article.
Marie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Hardy Hibiscus--Hardier Than You Think Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good Article oriole 31 May 27, 2008 12:37 AM
HARDIER THAN YOU THINK rickhead 1 Feb 11, 2008 1:29 PM
I think they are wonderful tina61 1 Feb 11, 2008 9:32 PM
Hardee Hibiscus karen_cajun 5 Jun 28, 2010 8:53 AM
Also wintersow well kqcrna 1 Feb 13, 2008 1:35 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America