Photo by Melody

Article: Camellias: Winter Blooming Shrubs for Southern Gardens (Hardiness Zone to 7b): Albert and the Camellias

Communities > Forums > Article: Camellias: Winter Blooming Shrubs for Southern Gardens (Hardiness Zone to 7b)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Camellias: Winter Blooming Shrubs for Southern Gardens (Hardiness Zone to 7b)Replies: 6, Views: 78
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2008
6:29 AM

Post #4527250

Camellias are among my favorites and you have given us valuable information. But I have to admit the connection to Albert the silverback gorilla is even more interesting.

Thank you for another excellent article, Gloria.

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2008
11:48 AM

Post #4527429

I agree, Albert and camelliias...who would of thought? I loved the photo of Pink Perfection...it was as it's name says, PERFECT!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2008
1:17 PM

Post #4527614

Pink Perfection is the flower I compare every other flower too. Its just always been my favorite. The color in person is just heaven. I still have one camellia in full bloom, and with the azealas open, its my favorite time in my FL garden. No bugs, its perfect weather, all the shrubs are in full bloom and hope for the coming veggie and flower garden are at 100%. Glad to see the camellias got there own article. Just reminded me of going to the azeala gardens in VA Bch and walking thru the mazes of huge camellias when they were in bloom. Pretty chilly sometimes, but so worth it. Nice memory..thanks for jogging that.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2008
1:51 PM

Post #4527712

Great article, Gloria. I tried a few of the 'hardy' ones from the National Arboretum - the fall blooming ones. Lost them all. What a bummer. I think they are a magnificent shrub. I prefer the singles - they hold up better when wet. Thanks.
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

February 12, 2008
11:30 PM

Post #4530053

Great article, Gloria. I love camellias and gorillas. Nice combo. I have a camellia in a pot that winters in our garage every year. It blooms every other year and needs attention. But it survives. Somehow, a grape vine planted itself in to the same pot last summer so I Really need to get busy.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

February 12, 2008
11:39 PM

Post #4530113

Hey Roybird.

I guess you are a little outzoned for both camellias and gorillas!

Supposedly, some hardier ones are coming. Here there are abandoned gardens with old camellias at 15 to 20 ft.

gloria
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

February 12, 2008
11:50 PM

Post #4530171

Gloria, I would love to see something like that! As for gorillas, they could live in the house with me and the parakeets! D.H. might not like that so much. Hope you are surviving the winter. Glad to see your article.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Camellias: Winter Blooming Shrubs for Southern Gardens (Hardiness Zone to 7b) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
The real Albert gloria125 2 Feb 12, 2008 11:41 PM
Camellia japonica bobwhite1 1 Feb 12, 2008 5:57 PM
close up bobwhite1 5 Feb 12, 2008 11:55 PM
Three camellias from the same shrub. gloria125 5 Feb 10, 2009 3:59 PM
Camelia article dixiebelle123 0 Feb 18, 2008 11:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America