Photo by Melody

Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year: amaryllis

Communities > Forums > Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year
bookmark
Forum: Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next YearReplies: 1, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
fergie50
Butte Des Morts, WI

February 12, 2008
1:50 PM

Post #4527709

I'e got a beautiful bulb this year but - It only got two big stalks full of flowers -- absolutely no leaves. I suppose I should just start fertilizing it and keeping it for next year. I should get leaves right? I pulled my bulbs in the beginning of Sept. from outside and let them in a brown bag for 2 months and then planted and put it my window. I live in central Wisconsin and I think the days got to short and to cool in my sunroom. Finally - now they are starting to bloom. A bit late. Do you think I should pull them earlier or not let them dormant for so long or put them under close lights to get them going? I would like blooms around Christmas. Thanks for any advise for next year. I have about 9 great bulbs.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #4528110

I think heat might get them going a bit faster, and you might change the timing next year -- pull them sooner, maybe keep them dormant for a shorter time (or not at all -- just pot them up and let them bloom when they want). With 9 bulbs, you could try a couple of different things and probably get blooms over a nice long period.

I think you'll start seeing leaves soon. For now, continue keeping the soil moist but not overly wet... if the bulb isn't actively growing, it won't be taking up much water, and you don't want it to be soggy. I wouldn't start fertilizing until leaves appear, although it probably won't hurt, especially if you dilute your fertilizer to half or quarter strength.

I was really late in getting some of my bulbs potted up this year, but I'm enjoying their watching them put up buds and blooms now!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting artical terriculture 13 Jan 22, 2008 4:54 PM
in ground LouC 11 Jan 12, 2012 1:45 PM
fertilizer happy_macomb 4 Jan 18, 2008 10:35 PM
won't bloom outdoors?! sheersheri 5 May 14, 2008 3:53 AM
amaryllis vandal!! lnorris 1 May 13, 2008 4:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America