Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Taking seeds from a store bought pumpkin?

Foreston, MN

I took seeds from a store bought pumpkin this past fall. Will they grow successfully if I plant them? Or should I just buy seeds?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

I had hundreds sprout from my compost last year--my experience is they'll grow just fine!

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

They'll probably sprout, but you can't be sure what they'll sprout into.

However, with a commercial pumpkin field the odds are high that a pumpkin was pollinated by a pumpkin.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a small pumpkin I may try.

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Yep, they will grow. It's fun to try seeds like that see what you get. My daughter dumped a bunch of seeds from a store-bought pumpkin into my veggie bed. She didn't dry them or anything, just dumped them in there. I think every single seed sprouted as there were at least a hundred coming up. They got vines about four feet long before the first frost killed them.

Give it a try, nothing to lose.

Karen

Marietta, GA

I'm in Atlanta area Last year 2007 I got pumpkin seeds from HomeD store... and I DIDN'T EVEN GET ONE PUMPKIN although they grew nice leaves and had plenty of nice big flowers. I'm afraid it didn't get enough morning sun. I know it got plenty of water despite the drought 'cause I did drip irrigation. Does anyone know a good variety for Atlanta area? Prefer one with mildew resistance. I might have to try buying a grocery store pumpkin and plant it. Oh yes, and when should I plant pumpkins for Halloween? I've been planting them on July 4th and that timing seemed to be right, at least in 2006 it was. Thank you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.