Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: Taking seeds from a store bought pumpkin?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 5, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kapr
Foreston, MN

February 12, 2008
2:35 PM

Post #4527857

I took seeds from a store bought pumpkin this past fall. Will they grow successfully if I plant them? Or should I just buy seeds?
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2008
3:21 PM

Post #4528042

I had hundreds sprout from my compost last year--my experience is they'll grow just fine!
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2008
3:25 PM

Post #4528053

They'll probably sprout, but you can't be sure what they'll sprout into.

However, with a commercial pumpkin field the odds are high that a pumpkin was pollinated by a pumpkin.
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2008
7:56 PM

Post #4529149

I have a small pumpkin I may try.

glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2008
5:06 PM

Post #4542192

Yep, they will grow. It's fun to try seeds like that see what you get. My daughter dumped a bunch of seeds from a store-bought pumpkin into my veggie bed. She didn't dry them or anything, just dumped them in there. I think every single seed sprouted as there were at least a hundred coming up. They got vines about four feet long before the first frost killed them.

Give it a try, nothing to lose.

Karen

DawnYawn
Marietta, GA

February 29, 2008
8:29 PM

Post #4605714

I'm in Atlanta area Last year 2007 I got pumpkin seeds from HomeD store... and I DIDN'T EVEN GET ONE PUMPKIN although they grew nice leaves and had plenty of nice big flowers. I'm afraid it didn't get enough morning sun. I know it got plenty of water despite the drought 'cause I did drip irrigation. Does anyone know a good variety for Atlanta area? Prefer one with mildew resistance. I might have to try buying a grocery store pumpkin and plant it. Oh yes, and when should I plant pumpkins for Halloween? I've been planting them on July 4th and that timing seemed to be right, at least in 2006 it was. Thank you!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America