Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Star Fruit: Delicious Five Point Wonders!: Love that fruit!

Communities > Forums > Article: Star Fruit: Delicious Five Point Wonders!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Star Fruit: Delicious Five Point Wonders!Replies: 5, Views: 102
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2008
4:00 PM

Post #4528187

I grew up in south Florida where carambola were easily found... and cheap. I've had a few from the supermarket which were not too bad but your article made my mouth water for the fresh ones.
soapwort243
South Milwaukee, WI

February 13, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #4530369

They are really a beautiful decorative fruit when sliced. I only had them 2 times and didn't care for the taste. They were kind of plain tasting. I wonder if I just got an unripe or a bad one. Maybe they laid in the store too long. I think that I'll have to try them again. Thanks for the article.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2008
3:46 AM

Post #4531624

I also tried one once and didn't like it, but now that I know how to tell when they're ripe, I will try again. Thanks!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2008
5:39 AM

Post #4532030

I love that fruit but none of our stores carry it. I have only had it in an upscale restaurant. Thanks for the very informative article.(especially about the kidney function)
huntnlabs
Xenia, OH

February 21, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8383896

I've seen star fruit in the produce section of the grocery but had no idea how to use them or how to prepare them for consumption. Thanks for the article and incite from all the thread contributers. My next trip to the grocery I'm going to pick some up if they have them and give them a try.
FrangipaniAz
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 22, 2011
12:51 PM

Post #8386760

you can seriously eat it like an apple, or cut it into "stars" and add to fruit salad...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Star Fruit: Delicious Five Point Wonders! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good Article - thanks for the warning!!! judycooksey 0 Feb 13, 2008 3:38 AM
Oxalic acid jjacques 5 May 13, 2010 12:21 AM
Preserving Star Fruit ChayaMan 1 May 17, 2010 9:33 AM
Star Fruit desert ifantail 1 May 19, 2010 12:43 AM
star fruit lstrimble 2 Feb 22, 2011 1:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America