Tornado Question.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

We were very lucky with all the storms around us, we had no damage ourself.

We did get a lot of debris from the storm. Large pieces of roofing, metal siding, insulation, plywood etc. I hate to complain with all the suffering other people have had.

The only problem I have is a big piece of plywood maybe 3/4" thick and maybe 3'x4' in a tree hanging over our deck. It has huge nails or screws sticking out of it. Easily large enough to cause serious damage when it falls.

The tree is an old Magnolia and the limbs would not support a person climbing to the top. The piece of wood is probably 30' above ground.

It is not close to the center of the tree so no way to get to it with a ladder.

Can't get close enough to cut the supporting limbs with a pole saw.

I thought about a fire truck but there would be no way to get a fire truck to the tree without taking fence post out.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Betty

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

Can you get a ladder up in the center of the tree far enough to get a rope around it by throwing it over it and pulling it down far enough to use a slip knot then lower it from the center of the tree with a little pull it will probably come lose

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

The main trunk of the tree is forked about 4' from the ground, small limbs grow from three main sections. We have looked for places that we could prop our 20' (more or less extension ladder) and reach it with our 12' electric Pole saw. The only place that I see where the top would be supported would place the base of the ladder in the fall path of the wood when it does come down.

I am now wondering if a person with a bow and arrow could shoot a string over the wood and then pull a rope over it to take it down? One of neighbors is a bow hunter but won't be home until Saturday to talk to.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

DH thinks that if he get 4 or 5 10' sections of 1/2" PVC pipe. He can attach those together and safely push it out of the tree. We will see tomorrow. LOL

Easton, KS(Zone 5b)

I'm happy your family was not injured in those storms - tornadoes are scary things! When we had something like that occur after a tornado, our insurance covered hiring a tree surgeon to remove debris and broken limbs - maybe your policy has a similar thing.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I feel bad whining about such a small problem when I know that the wood probably came from the roof of one of the many homes in our area that were destroyed in our storms last week. The board just seems like a time bomb every time I go out the door.

Good idea, I hadn't even though of checking with the Insurance Co.
Betty

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Woo Hoo, It's down. We connected three 10' pieces of conduit together and connected our pole saw (Not Electric) on the end of the pipes. Added more rope to the cutter bar and sawed and pruned limbs until the board fell With a BIG crash.

Now if I can just figure how to get the pole saw down. LOL Not really a big problem. LOL

The board was larger than it looked from the ground almost 4' x 6' It had been ripped from something like a piece of paper.

Thanks for your help.
Betty

Moberly, MO

You should cut it up and keep it as a momento! Make something out of it for your garden, that would be a intresting story to tell. lol

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

It is still sitting in the Yard, hope that is a momento that I never get to see again.
I found some 2"x4" boards stuck in another tree last week. It is really something what the wind can do. The 2"x4" boards were broken like a toothpick.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images