Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Rhubarb: A Plant for the Ages: rhubarb in compost

Communities > Forums > Article: Rhubarb: A Plant for the Ages
bookmark
Forum: Article: Rhubarb: A Plant for the AgesReplies: 2, Views: 100
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gleichen
gleichen
Canada

February 13, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #4532966

Does anyone know if rhubarb in the compost pile is a bad thing? I put leaves in my rainbarrels so the mosquitoes don't lay the larvae, so have usually burned the leaves in the fall. Good question as to whether they can be used as a slug repellant. Of my 10 hostas, the slugs go for 1, so I think of it as the sacrificial plant. Go figure, it usually starts out as the strongest.

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2008
4:35 PM

Post #4533254

I've been adding them to my compost for years, no problems.

Paul
enyeholt
Village of Port Clem
Canada

March 22, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #7649013

They are fine in compost for me.
I use them as a weed repellent in the potato patch too. The leaves make a nice insect repellent by boiling them, straining then adding water & left over bar soap slivers. Works for cabbage loopers etc.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Rhubarb: A Plant for the Ages Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Rhubarb donoboy 23 Apr 14, 2010 9:11 AM
Rhubarb steve66 2 Feb 20, 2010 8:47 PM
Rhubarb transplanting lockej 2 Feb 26, 2008 8:01 AM
orchid photos Alohapearl2 0 Feb 19, 2010 4:21 AM
rhubarb & arthritis enyeholt 2 Feb 12, 2012 6:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America