Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Help with identification?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 6, Views: 104
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Mingyue
Windsor, WI

February 14, 2008
5:19 PM

Post #4537561

We threw some seeds out in our yard a few years back. Unfortunately the seed packets have long since been lost. It took me a while to identify the Canterbury Bells (such a lovely shade) but now I need helping figuring out what this is; any idea? This is the only picture I have since my garden is now buried beneath quite a lot of snow. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thumbnail by Mingyue
Click the image for an enlarged view.

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2008
7:51 PM

Post #4538222

It looks like some type of Campanula but I'm not sure which one. Do you remember planting any varieties of those?
Mingyue
Windsor, WI

February 14, 2008
10:33 PM

Post #4538850

No. But I was thinking it might be that, only none of the pictures I saw matched exactly.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

February 15, 2008
11:15 PM

Post #4543679

Hi Mingyue, it looks like one of the strain of Canterbury Bells, especially if you had some of the mixtures of seeds that are the Normal way to buy seeds of this type of Campanula
Campanula Calycanthema also known as Canterbury Bells, these come in a wide variety of flower shapes and sizes as do the actual flower colours with mixed seeds, if you dont know already, they are Biennials, that is you normally plant the seeds one year for germination and they flower the following year, some people can have them flowering each year like perennials, so if you are lucky enough to be able to do that, then after the next flowering, save the seeds from that particular one to see what comes from it when you plant these seeds, like a lot or these plants, they are very promiscuous and will inter bread giving lots of new and unusual shapes and coloured flowers, but who knows, you might just be lucky, By the way I love these flowers too, they remind me of summer days in our childhood garden, my late Dad used to grow them en mass,
We always sang the nursery rhyme of Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your garden grow, with silver bells and cockle shells and pretty maids all in a row. ha ha ha, now I am blushing. Good luck. Weenel.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2008
7:01 PM

Post #4546773

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Waving, hi..under the snow in Middleton. Hope to meet you at the round-up.
My campanula strain doesn't have the turn up edges..agree Canterbury Bell would be one to check on.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 16, 2008
7:05 PM

Post #4546792

Hi weenel, we used to sing that nursery rhyme too! I love canterbury bells!
Mingyue
Windsor, WI

February 22, 2008
5:25 PM

Post #4573393

Thanks. =) I'll be sure to collect some of the seeds later this year and plant them. Should be interesting to see what I get.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America