Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Confessions of a Coffee-aholic: Nice article

Communities > Forums > Article: Confessions of a Coffee-aholic
bookmark
Forum: Article: Confessions of a Coffee-aholicReplies: 36, Views: 193
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2008
7:11 AM

Post #4540820

From one coffee-holic to another, thanks for the great article!

Thumbnail by pbtxlady
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2008
8:39 AM

Post #4540872

I really liked this article too. It's so nice to hear that one of my so-called vices is such a healthy habit. Thanks.
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 15, 2008
11:23 AM

Post #4540962

Not a coffee drinker here, but I enjoyed the article!

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2008
11:49 AM

Post #4541005

Love coffee, big Dunkin Donuts coffee fan here and I get the panic when im getting low too!
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2008
1:50 PM

Post #4541261

Ahhhhhh another coffee-oholic! How refreshing. I do not function without coffee. I drink none stop all day and if i wake in the night , it's grab another cup or two before going back to bed.

i used to use all kinds of percolators and even at one time get a giant coffe e urn going. Now I buy the instant. I grab my cup fil t with water, heat it in the microwave a minute add tons of sugar a spoonful of coffe e and it is ready to go in under a minute.

LOL... Enjoyed your tale of the hunt for coffee, sorry ya had to hunt for it though. Seems like the day nor the world is not uite right without several cups of coffee to start it off.

Thanks for the information on th eblooms. Didn't realize they were fragrant. I have some coffee seeds here and hopefully I can get them to germinate, after seeing how beautiful the bushes are.

Thanks for the article.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2008
2:30 PM

Post #4541410

Oh YES, YES!!!!!

Coffee lovers here!! I remember the stove top percolaters! We had an Corning Ware electric percolater when we first got married! We are always trying new types/brands/flavors of coffee in the quest for the perfect cup!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2008
4:40 PM

Post #4542063

Lovely first-person take on morning coffee!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2008
10:56 PM

Post #4543601

my in-laws used to make the nastiest stuff out of a percolator ... I have a Starbucks coffee pot that is ready when i get up in the morning... wouldn't have it any other way.
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

February 15, 2008
10:59 PM

Post #4543612

Since I wrote the article I have acquired a new coffee maker. It is the first one I have ever had with a timer. Programmed to start 10 minutes before I crawl out of bed.
Best invention since sliced bread!!

The dogs are happier about it too :))

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2008
11:09 PM

Post #4543656

I will never have a pot that is not programmable. GREAT invention.
soapwort243
South Milwaukee, WI

February 15, 2008
11:29 PM

Post #4543728

I love coffee. But I'm not a fan of Starbuck's.
I love "Chock full of Nuts" brand. That is my favorite. ( The name doesn't have anything to do with the coffee.) Next time I get a coffee maker, I think I'll get the programmable. That's sounds like a great idea, to have it ready as soon as I get up!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2008
11:39 PM

Post #4543767

Well, my son works there... so i get the coffee for free. can't beat that.

I used to buy my coffee on line at coffeeam.com
they have awesome coffee. i like Dunkin Donuts too.
soapwort243
South Milwaukee, WI

February 15, 2008
11:56 PM

Post #4543825

Yes-If you can get it free-I would like it also. No- you can't beat that!
Star bucks is a little too strong- (maybe not smooth enough)
I used to be in the Gevaila coffee club-where they send it thru the mail, but that got to be too pricey.
And I prefer the Chock full of nuts more, anyway.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2008
12:26 AM

Post #4543918

as for smooth -- they have different varieties... we have "worked" up to the boldest blends over the years ... and by using less or more grounds to get that "perfect" cup.

I like some with 'bite' like sumatra. our kid bought us some kona -- that was nice a smooth, but expensive.
I find the central american beans are nice and smooth, where some asian or african has more bite.
SCNewbie
Anderson, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2008
5:03 AM

Post #4544970

This article is just too funny! I'm a coffeeholic, too, but I don't think I'm as bad as you. ;)

Dunkin' Donuts is my all time fav, & my 1/2 & 1/2 is just as important as the coffee brand.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2008
1:30 PM

Post #4545437

oh yes... i have found coffee with out H&H just doesnt taste the same! gag... i can't believe i used to drink folgers decaf with skim.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2010
2:33 PM

Post #7602049

I like a Chemex coffee maker. It is an hourglass shaped Pyrex container. You put a filter and grounds in the top and pour boiling water in top. You can get similar tasting coffee with a french press. I also have a favorite Krups electric coffee maker. I even found a spare one at the salvation army store on half price day. My absolute favorite coffee is from Porto Rico in NYC. They roast the beans fresh there and also have a web site and periodic sales. I like eight o'clock Colombian beans from the grocery store. There are problems with the Colombian harvest this year, according to the store stockists. What a crisis! I may have to drink the regular. I will drink chuck full of nuts or foldger's french roast if I can't find the eight o'clock beans.

My mother's relatives made really weak coffee in a percolator. My father called it "panther's pee", in a less polite way.

I also like Caribbean coffee, espresso and cappuccino. I am not a fan of starbucks.
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 3, 2010
4:43 PM

Post #7602391

I have never been a fan of Starbucks either...their coffee always to strong and has a burnt taste to me.

Normally I buy 25 lbs. of green Columbian beans and roast my own. But a few months back. I had run out and my order hadn't arrived yet so my daughter brought over a pound of whole Starbucks Ethopia Sidamo beans.

I have to say that it is the first Starbucks coffee that I like but only when I make it in a french press. I tried a cup at a Starbucks and they make it so strong that I feel like I have to chew it before swallowing.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #7602439

I like strong coffee, but not burnt. Starbucks tastes burnt to me, also. Do you have a special coffee roaster?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7602612

Yes... i too like the Sidamo... i believe it is a newer blend.
IIRC - my son made some in the french press and it was quite good.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2010
4:11 AM

Post #7612430

Iam A COFFEE SNOB,I love medium roast,as I drink it black.arabica is my fav,starbucks can keep theirs,i do like a SB mocha every now and then .Bob Evans has a great coffeee too and you can buy it,not over priced either.I am having a coffee maker delima,need a new one,I do use a coffee press,several times a week.But I need a coffee maker,big decision !!!! Hey if you want a timer on your cm that has not got one ,do what I do use a plug in timer, It comes on at 5:45 and shuts off at 9:oo am,set it how you like,well worth 5$
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

March 8, 2010
10:50 AM

Post #7613256

Here I was about to recommend Seattle's Best coffee - wondering why no one else had mentioned it - and I find that it is a subsidiary of Starbuck's now! They knew a good thing, apparently. I had my first cup on a plane and couldn't wait to land so I could get another. MUCH better than Starbuck's - smooth and rich. Of course, any of these can vary from place to place, since the brewer has the last control over the product. Still, I would recommend SB if you see it.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2010
12:39 PM

Post #7613525

Starbucks bought SB quite a while ago... i'm thinking 4-5 yrs. They do have good coffee.

DH and I thought we liked Dunkin Donuts brand and bought some over the summer when we were low in Starbucks... not what i remembered. not bold enough.

I get Starbucks free, so I really dont need any other. It took yrs to get used to the boldness... now even a Mild is not bold enough. I find i can always dilute, but you can't make a weak coffee strong.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

March 8, 2010
4:17 PM

Post #7614098

We spent time in Costa Rica, TCS1366, and drank nothing but espresso roast, so I know what you mean about getting used to bold. Most people just recognized it as good coffee and had no idea what they were drinking.

When I was much younger, I took a vacation at Club Med in Tahiti. Every table had three thermoses: hot coffee, hot milk, hot water. You could stand a spoon up in the cup!
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

March 8, 2010
4:19 PM

Post #7614107

I love strong coffee!!
DH tries to keep me away from the coffee maker, I make it strong!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #7614160

there are some great "roasts" coming out of Central America

I also tend to lean towards African, and you just can't beat Sumatra.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2010
3:05 AM

Post #7615078

I too love strong coffee,but there is a fine line for me .I just finished the last of my christmas gift of Guatamalin Organic coffee,it was really good ,almost a dark roast.I have friends that go to Guatamala,6-7 times a yr,they bring me two different coffees.Sad thing is I have no Idea what bean it is,not much info on the bag,and whats on the bag is spanish !!!! I would love to go to a coffee tasting !!! I hate coffee thats so weak that it looks like well coffee colored water,ive noticed that in cheaper resturants.Years ago the coffeee companys figured out that americans really didnt know the difference between good coffee or bad,so thats why our name brand coffees are so yucky,we get the floor sweepings so to speak,inferior beans ,well cheaper ones!!!! Iam off to get me another cup o joe !!! any suggestions on a coffee maker anyone ???

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2010
6:58 AM

Post #7615520

Well, since my kid works for SB, that is all we have in the house. I have a 12 cup Barrista.[get 40% off around the Holidays... so we stock up on appliances] Its OK. the decanter does not keep the coffee HOT for that long.

the lady who's house i just spent weeks at in FLA, has a Bunn. good for making fast coffee - as there is always water in the 'hopper' ... but i prefer a stainless steel decanter, hers is glass... but i guess if you can consume 10 cups quickly - that doesnt matter much.

I'd say in this case... cost does matter. a cheap pot is a cheap pot.

I'd look up reviews on Coffee pots and see who gets good reviews.

Me -- i have to have a timer and a good decanter. I grind my beans the night before and set it up so it's ready when i get up.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

March 9, 2010
8:36 AM

Post #7615812

We decant to a Thermos with a pump as soon as it's brewed. We've seen a couple of brewers with stainless decanters - pre-shopping, since ours will probably not last much longer. We have a friend who makes great coffee in a brewer he got for $20 from a drugstore! LOL
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2010
5:23 AM

Post #7618140

We have a really cheap coffee maker now with a glass pot ,I transfer the coffee soon as its made , to a glass lined thermos,it actually keeps the coffee hot for quite awhile,it keeps alot better than my SD maker,her coffee stays warm at best in the thermos,i think its a Braun.I really dont like the hot plate,most are too hot,and it cooks the brew.Burnt coffee gross !!!! My cooks Illustrated mag. recomends Technivorm at 239.00 OUCH !!! i may just give in.3 stars each for flavor brewing and user friendly.ive been using my SB french press.which came highly recomended !!! They reveiwed 8 machines .My head is spinning ,I need another cup o joe!!! LOL =} i love coffee !!!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2010
5:57 AM

Post #7618228

I've got a Starbucks French Press too... back in the day... when they had their mail order Coffee Program [cant recall what it was called] but that was my "free gift". it takes a bit more time to make the coffee... and my grinder does not get the perfect FP grind... but OH YUM... love the stuff.

I used to order beans from a company in GA, and they did the perfect grind for French Press. ... no mud at the bottom.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2010
4:48 AM

Post #7620653

AHH yes the mud ,it is worth it !!! i just read somewhere that you should CRUSH the beans ,I guess a mortar and pestle would work.I have a cheapie well freebie Braun grinder,it mutilates the coffee beans,so I grind at the store.
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 11, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #7621228

When I go camping I put the beans in a ziploc bag an whack it with a cast iron skillet. They work great in a french press!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2010
3:14 AM

Post #7623118

That will work !!! probly fun too!!!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #7623482

Wonderful artical. Enjoyed it immensely.

I too am the biggest coffeeholic and it HAS to be FOLGERS as well. I have been known to go down the street to the Pick n' Save in my jammies at 6 am if I run out of coffee...

I can drink 2,3 pots a day by myself if someone doesn't stop me. As for how I drink it is anyone's guess. sometimes black, sometimes with a non-dairy coffee creamer, sometimes with half and half and sometimes with cinnamon, sometimes with choclate...depends on the mood I guess.
judyjarden
Quincy, IL

March 14, 2010
2:29 PM

Post #7628913

Aldi's (grocery store) brand coffee, Beaumont, is currently $2.99 per bag and is strong enough for a maximum-strength person. There is a choice of "roasts": French, House, and another. I usually get the House blend. And I have recently begun making the pets wait until the morning coffee is brewing in my small stainless electric pot. Judy
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2010
4:00 PM

Post #7629121

judy,Yes ,we got some around christmas,and I was glad it was better than I expected.Need to pick some up tomorrow.I chucked the coffee maker ,and started using the french press and putting the coffee in the carafe,much better brew,yummmm

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Confessions of a Coffee-aholic Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great article! doccat5 6 Feb 18, 2008 3:58 PM
Great article LavinaMae 0 Feb 15, 2008 11:37 PM
coffee-yuck momsey 0 Feb 18, 2008 3:06 PM
What timing! JuneyBug 0 Mar 3, 2010 4:48 AM
A French Roast toast Caedi25 1 Mar 5, 2010 3:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America