Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Ornamental Gourds: Gourd seedlings are up!

Communities > Forums > Ornamental Gourds
bookmark
Forum: Ornamental GourdsReplies: 42, Views: 236
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2008
6:24 PM

Post #4546646

I started my large gourd seeds since they needed a long growing season 1 week ago and they are up!! Here are the ones I got started..
Bushel
Zucca
African wine
Big kettle
Will start my small to medium size gourds in few weeks...
Today I will be planting my watermelons,melons,squash that takes few months to grow..in paper pots.

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2008
7:33 PM

Post #4546887

It's always nice to see new growth, Moodene! Do you have them growing in the ground, or in little pots?

I tried to dig a few more holes where I want some of my gourd seedlings to go, but it just hasn't rained enough yet. We're supposed to have storms today . . . but nothing yet. Hopefully we'll get a good soaking.
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 17, 2008
1:59 AM

Post #4548463

Rain storms?? it has been raining for 2 days now..I have them in paper cup pots..lol...
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2008
2:48 AM

Post #4548697

We had maybe 5 minutes last night, that was it . . . clouds all around, but no rain. It's like the clouds build up right in my backyard, but don't do anything until they get to your neck of the woods!
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 21, 2008
6:24 PM

Post #4569034

They truly took care of our neck of the woods! Missed the total lunar eclipse because of it. I've direct sown some gourd seeds, but not seeing anything yet. If you wait too late down here, the borers will get them for sure.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2008
8:38 PM

Post #4569521

Yeah, we missed it too . . . I went out about an hour before, and there was nothing but clouds!

I just got done planting the bushels and apples. Tomorrow I will plant the swans, and Saturday I will finish up with the spinners.

The egg and short handle dippers l've planted the last few days look good so far . . . I even saw one of the curly-string things coming out of a shd, so it won't be long before they can attach themselves to the fence!
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2008
12:58 AM

Post #4610538

I fianlly got around posting my gourd seedlings in paper cups.

Thumbnail by Moodene
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2008
12:58 AM

Post #4610542

another pic

Thumbnail by Moodene

Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2008
1:00 AM

Post #4610548

I used milk cartons(cut in half with holes poked on bottom of cartons) to plant these in for somebody else..

Thumbnail by Moodene

Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2008
1:15 AM

Post #4610588

Here are my squash and other seeds I planted in papercups..lol.

Thumbnail by Moodene

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2008
4:42 AM

Post #4611353

Moodene...how many days did it take for your seeds to sprout...I have started 6 Swan Gourd seeds in peat pots...and am getting impatient!! Patience was never one of my virtures. Jo
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2008
12:12 PM

Post #4611841

Maybe 4-5 days..I presoaked my gourd seeds the nite before I plant them in my papercups. Put glass jars on a towel that is over a heating pad -set on low already. The jars will feel warm from the heat but that is okay. I pour warm water in the jars with labels on them to tell me what seeds goes in that jar. In my gallon water jug-I have added few drops of superthrive in it and add warm water. So I have warm jars and warm water to jump start my seeds. Put warm water in jars then add your seeds next. Then I leave them alone until the next day. I have all my papercups ready with soil, watered, and put inside my hothouse to stay warm while the seeds are soaking. You see, everything is warm from start to end which I think helps jump start the seeds..

*** Just to add that while I am doing seeds to Gourds,watermelons,squashes,cantalopes,tomatoes,beans whatever etc.
I do papercups of Nasturtiums, Marigolds,and Borage flower seeds as well.
Nasturtiums suppose to deter bugs,marigolds take care of nematodes and borage-herb brings me bees to pollinate my flowers. I plant 1 of each of the Nasturtium and marigolds flowers in the mound along with whatever I mentioned above to help me out. The Borage herb is set in and about around the mounds since they get big..All these flowers help me grow better fruits and help me out since I do not use any kind of chemicals to kill bugs and stuff..to me that is all handle by nature..lol..

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2008
12:44 AM

Post #4631416

Dang it! Here I am , hospital sitting, and I cant get back home for at least another 2 weeks! Reading this forum has me chomping at the bit , Just "needing" to get my seeds started.
Just as soon as My Dad gets home , I am heading back to my house and straight to the potting shed! Since easter is in March this year, that will hopefully mean an Early Spring and my new seedlings will be just right for planting by then.
I just love to keep up with all of your gourd news. Moodene all of your Gourdy babies are so healthy looking. I hope mine will do as well.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2008
1:09 AM

Post #4631509

YIPEE!! I'm about to be a Gourd Mommie again...I started 6 Swan Gourd seeds and 3 of them have popped their little heads up!! Jo
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2008
2:01 AM

Post #4631753

Isn't it great?

Of all those gourd seeds I had started, when the temp dipped down into the mid-low 30's, I lost all 18 of the short handle dipper, and 9 of the egg gourds. Oh, I cried. It was rough. So, I turned around and started those seeds again, and they're popping up! The low's are going to be freezing for the next 2 nights, so when I got home from work, I took all my portable seedlings (except the wintersown ones) into the garage, and covered up my swan, apple, and bushel plants that were already in the ground with all the empty 5 gallon black pots I could find - even though they made it thru the last freeze just fine . . . better safe than sorry!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2008
4:42 AM

Post #4632448

They say our last frost date is about March 24th...so by the time my babies get big enough I should be able to pop them in the ground...

Syrumani I feel for your loss...but have my fingers crossed on the new batch for you. Jo
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #4633677

AAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH! It was summer here, and now they're talking SNOW! Y'all please send good warm thoughts to my seedlings, which will be under nice blankies tonight. If they survive tonight, all will be well.

I KNEW I should have waited. I couldn't stand it.

Ah, well. I suspect I have a couple more seeds somewhere... (like 10 pounds of them!)
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2008
4:19 PM

Post #4633849

...warm thoughts...warm thoughts...

My best sun comes in the window of my master bath...where I spend a lot of time...LOL

I now have 4 of 6 seeds that have sprouted...Jo
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 8, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #4636127

LOL...isn't ths great!! all these babies coming up!!..I always wait until after Easter to plant anything in the ground...I hope everybody's seeds come up and give ya'll gourds!!!
jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2008
2:19 PM

Post #4637407

Well, my babies were just "started" three days ago, and are basking on a temporary shelf set right in my best, southern-facing window (my bedroom, of all places). In a few weeks I'll move them onto the east-facing sun porch (it's not heated, so will have to hope things warm up a little more before relocating them there)...
Man, to be in Texas or SC and have such an early Spring/planting season: and you're all planting them into the GROUND already, some of you with beautiful leafy tops! ;-( I'm so green with envy...

I have another group I'll be starting Monday (March 10), of smaller gourds (this one was of Bushels, African Kettles, a few Martin and speckled Swan/Goosenecks)...

Moodene, did you plant YOUR gourd seedlings (in paper cups) the SAME TIME you planted "someone else"'s in milk carton bottoms?!? Because if you did, I'm going to try that! Spectacular growth, hope mine do half as well...

Shea

This message was edited Mar 8, 2008 8:20 AM

Thumbnail by jipsi

Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 8, 2008
11:49 PM

Post #4639581

I did the plastic bottoms first for my friend..then I started on mine the next week after ...I will post a updated pic tomorrow of all of them..
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 10, 2008
2:44 PM

Post #4645931

Well, I THINK we made it through the cold front! The teeny little plants don't show any sign of frost damage, but of course it could still show up in the next day or so. But I covered them Friday night, and Saturday morning when I went out to take the sheets off them, the sheets were stiff with frost. That should be the last of it down here, though. Should. Hmmm...
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 12, 2008
1:23 AM

Post #4652510

Plastic pots-updated pic

Thumbnail by Moodene

Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 12, 2008
1:24 AM

Post #4652565

updated pic of squash and other seeds

Thumbnail by Moodene

Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 12, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #4652579

updated pic of seedlings in red plastic trays

Thumbnail by Moodene

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 12, 2008
12:44 PM

Post #4653917

AWWWWWWWWW Maaan! Arent they sweet! Lookin' good there Moody! Looks like you are well on your way. good luck! I wish I could say, I was That well ,on my way towards this years crop.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2008
1:15 PM

Post #4653980

Those makes my two wee little styrofoap cups with 6 swan gourd seedlings look like a pimple !! Good going. Jo
jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2008
5:09 PM

Post #4658921

Moodene, your place must look likfe a GREENHOUSE right now: your starts are so healthy looking!

Last night my babies JUST BROKE THE SURFACE! In the pic below, the top ones were taken last week right after planting (bushels, africans, swans and martins). The bottom pics were taken this morning... woohoo! They're a good healthy color and size and I'm so pumped!
Coooome on SPRING!
This morning I put together my other tray of smaller gourds (cannonballs, spinners, mini's and eggs)...
Just LOVING the smell of good peaty DIRT today!
:-)

jipsi

Thumbnail by jipsi

Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2008
12:44 PM

Post #4670007

Go!!! baby seedlings Go!!..over here chanting for them to all grow up for ya'll...lol..
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2008
2:41 PM

Post #4670324

Thanks, Moodene...I have been gone about r4 days and I got back to see my 5 seedlings still growing...they are getting their permanant leaves. It must have been your "chant" that did it. Jo
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2008
2:54 PM

Post #4670359

LOL..maybe that indian rain dance doohickey thingy we all do???..when we get seeds to come up..

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2008
1:45 AM

Post #4672666

Ooohhhh!????? Indian raindance thingy????? so THATs what does it...got to get back into practice!!!
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2008
3:13 PM

Post #4674381

Okay, everybody, get those fences fixed! Time to start dancing nekkid in the backyard!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2008
4:46 PM

Post #4674738

Hey! When I dance nakid...I can cure hiccups...LOL Jo

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2008
7:18 PM

Post #4675268

..."Visual"...Hiccup.,Hiccup, Hiccup!!!!LOL!!!!
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2008
11:54 AM

Post #4677701

Ya'll cahoots!! that made my day...LOL...OH!! my balsam apples seeds came up just this past week..took their time coming up...
jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2008
1:42 PM

Post #4725412

Hey, we're catching that "gourdance" chant thing you're doing way up here and it's working!
My starts are strong and happy, getting their permanent leaves (5th and 6th on most)...
There's always a few that don't come up, though, so I'll pull those pots, separate & reseed them, hope the 2nd try's a charm in this case...

I've been using a strong growlight (in an aluminum reflector "clamp" lamp) in addition to their sunny window.
But I'm SERIOUSLY looking around at small greenhouse plans. Has anyone here had experience with the poly-sided, "portable" greenhouses (like the kind that Lowes sells, about $250 for a 6' X 10' model?
Here''s the llink: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=124296-56172-PG26C&lpage=none

I've seen smaller ones (more like a closet in size) that are about half in price, but I suppose if I was going to spend this kind of money on something for my garden, I'd justify the $250 one over the cheaper (call it "garden greed", LOL)...
jip

Thumbnail by jipsi

jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2008
2:52 PM

Post #4725797

Ooops... almost forgot to share pics of my seedlings this week...

These are the large Gourd starters...

Thumbnail by jipsi

jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2008
2:55 PM

Post #4725811

And the tray of mostly "mini's" (with 6 of cannonball - none of which have so much as sent a peeper up yet. :-( )...

Thumbnail by jipsi

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2008
5:53 PM

Post #4735874

jipsi, I invested about $250 in a plastic greenhouse from a website a couple of years ago, and it's nice. I'll try to find it again and post the site. HOWEVER... being outside in the sun and wind and all (and I would think the Texas sun is more brutal than the Illinois sun -- not to go braggin' or anythang) the plastic has gotten quite brittle. I GUESS I've gotten my money's worth, especially as I was not ready to build a greenhouse/shed at the time. But I don't think I'd buy one again, at least not to leave up. Now if you're putting it up in the spring and taking it down when the "greenhousing" is done, that would be a different matter. This one folds up pretty small. I'm going to try and find it now so I can post it for you.

Ann
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2008
5:57 PM

Post #4735892

http://www.bettymills.com/shop/product/view/FlowerHouse/FGHFHSP300CL.html

I think I did that right. I actually do like the little greenhouse. But I accidentally popped the roof with the mean end of a tomato cage and the plastic splintered. Now it's officially Southern, since it's been patched with duct tape.
jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2008
6:30 AM

Post #4739164

Thanks for the link, Brigidlily. I actually like the one you use, than the one I posted, because it's CLEAR!

Would like to be able to SEE INSIDE the "greenhouse" from the outside, too!
And, yep, I would only be having it up the first few months of Spring. Later it would get too hot, and I'd worry it'd start attracting wasps and hornets and the like...

jip
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2008
5:04 PM

Post #4741000

It would last a LOT longer than mine -- I keep it up all the time, and am now assessing what it would take to just build a shed with a greenhouse feature. They have pretty good prices, too!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Ornamental Gourds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gourd planter (Part 2) Snake Gourd dave 23 Nov 24, 2009 7:32 PM
Mystery gourd Pala 24 Oct 11, 2008 11:52 PM
My Itsie-Bitsie Luffa Ball plant Morph 28 Mar 8, 2008 11:16 PM
Gourdaholic- looking for seeds from Large Gourd from Nigeria Gourd 35 Apr 6, 2009 4:35 PM
Cattle Guards used as arbors/tunnels (has anyone used them) Gourd 21 May 15, 2007 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America