CLOSED: Bird I.D. needed

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Here is another bird that I cannot identify. I apologize for the bad quality of the photo. It was taken through a shaded window. This bird showed up the middle of Oct & was still around the end of Nov. He was always with a male red-winged blackbird. I suppose a robin figures in here somehow. I imagine there is no definite answer.

This was taken on Nov 1/06.

Thumbnail by broots
Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

#2 this was taken one week later on Nov 8/06.

Thumbnail by broots
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Not sure what, but it's something that's jumped out of a cage.

Resin

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Thanks for checking it out Resin. It is a mystery isn't it?

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

looks like a female or Yellow-headed Blackbird page 439 of Field Guide to Birds Eastern Region by Donald and Lillian Stokes

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

broots, the bird is charming. But what type of tree branches are there? I'm trying to get a positive I.D. of what maybe a hawthorn. Is that it? Thanks much.

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Hi Donna. I just checked my National Geographic Birds of N.A. and it sure looks like it could be the female Yellow-headed Blackbird. I think she was a little off course. Although I did have a male YHBB in the fall a few years ago. Thanks a lot.

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Hi Lily_love. The branches are from an apple tree.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Plumage pattern is definitely not right for Yellow-headed Blackbird, but it is clearly related. There are several similar species in South America, some of which feature in the cagebird trade; I suspect it is one of those.

Resin

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Thanks Resin, I appreciate your knowledge. I'll just label him as an unknown.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.