Photo by Melody

Article: Garden Design on Your Computer, Part 1: A Mini-Review of the Available Software: Thank you!

Communities > Forums > Article: Garden Design on Your Computer, Part 1: A Mini-Review of the Available Software
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garden Design on Your Computer, Part 1: A Mini-Review of the Available SoftwareReplies: 16, Views: 95
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2008
10:37 AM

Post #4549432

You've inspired me to find the design program I purchased about 5 years ago and try playing with it again :) Looking forward to your 'second installment' next week!
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2008
1:00 PM

Post #4549537

Deb...atta girl!

you're welcome...jan
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2008
1:44 PM

Post #4549655

Good start, Jan! I'll be watching for your next episode.
You may have noticed that there is not much on your list for those of us who still have the non-intel macs.
There are quite a few Mac compatible garden design apps out there. A few that I know of are:

Vectorworks (Professional $1000+)
Google Sketchup (not landscape oriented but easy to play with-Free, Pro version $495)
Virtual Garden (Free from http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/-looks worthwhile)
Punch Home Design ($150, Studio Pro version $250-over 4000 plants!)
Concept Draw VI ($100-Pro version $249--not landscape oriented)
Flowerscape (Mac & Win $34--nice demo showing blooming by season)
Design your own Home Landscape (www.theliquidateher.com - classic mac mode only)
   (They also have a veggie design program called Sprout)
Better Homes & Gardens has several programs, nice demos
    Home Designer 7 ($59), Home Designer Pro 7 ($95)
   Architectural Home Designer ($199--2000+ plants), Landscape and Deck Designer ($89)
    3D Home Architect Landscape (or Home) Design Deluxe Version 9 ( $30 each)

Maybe someone else can contribute more?

This message was edited Feb 17, 2008 12:11 PM
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2008
1:55 PM

Post #4549702

This is very interesting. I've tried a couple of the free type ones and just didn't have much luck. I have moderate computer skills, at least I think I do. I realize the programing for these things much be very complex, but I don't understand why so many seem to be less than user friendly for those of us who are not computer "geeks" I want to check out on on garden plans, that would be super.
Great article, thanks for sharing and I'm looking forward to your next one.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2008
2:06 PM

Post #4549734

Hey, Don, thanks for the contributions. I'm sure there are other Mac users who will appreciate it. I didn't deliberately leave them out, just found what I could. Only looked at those under $100 and only landscape oriented.

actually just found another review that include the 3DHD
http://landscaping-software-review.toptenreviews.com/3d-home-arch-land-des-del-6-review.html

thanks, doccat. hope you find something you like
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2008
2:12 PM

Post #4549754

oops, sorry, that was vs 6 of 3DHD.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2008
5:09 PM

Post #4550485

Thanks for a wonderful article! I've tried a couple of less expensive products and gone right back to my graph paper... I find the limited lists of plant images really limiting in the packages I've played with in the past. I've created layouts with pansies that looked 4 feet tall next to 18 inch tall images of maple trees... ack!

It's clearly time to take another look at the possibilities.

I'd be happy if I could find a program that included some generic icons that I could use to show various shapes and sizes of plants in my planned landscape... I don't necessarily need something photo-realistic to replace my current graph paper and pencil system. I just want to be able to clearly indicate that a certain plant has a mounded shape, 2 ft. tall and 3 ft. wide., or that a skinny pyramidal shrub might be 10 ft. tall and 3 ft. wide at maturity. Did any of the programs you looked at allow you to create or import "generic" icons like that?

Maybe with thousands of objects to choose from, I don't need that kind of option anymore...

I'll be spending some time checking out those online demos!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2008
5:38 PM

Post #4550608

THANKS! I have really been wanting to buy a program and didn't know where to start. This will give me something to study. I'll be following your 4 part series.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2008
6:02 PM

Post #4550692

Thanks Jan - same here - have hesitated. Since I will not be planning anything from scratch, I would want a program that will start with a photo of my garden or bed and will allow me to add, subtract or swap plants. I would definitely want a multi-season view as well a multi-year one. How things look with changing sun conditions would be helpful too. Most of all - I want it to be easy and user-friendly. Which one comes closest?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2008
6:07 PM

Post #4550720

Cheater, cheater Victor! LOL... she is giving you the info, YOU are suppose to figure it out! (But when you do, TELL me, cuz I want what the same as YOU!!) ~ Pat

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2008
6:08 PM

Post #4550730

CopycatPat!
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2008
7:42 PM

Post #4551125

critter, all of the plant 'models' can be resized to your liking. and if you don't find the particular plant you are looking for, you can use another one with a similar 'look' and resize it appropriately.

Victor, Pat is exactly right. you have to do your homework. take a look at them. and look at the other review I left the link for above. I've built all my gardens here from scratch and had the software before I started. I've never really used photos.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2008
7:49 PM

Post #4551142

Jan, is that resizing true for most of the software you looked at? Maybe I just had really lousy programs to play with previously...

Thanks!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 17, 2008
9:17 PM

Post #4551419

Thanks for such great info, I'll need it as I have a new house and a new garden to arrange! You gaave us the info I needed. Looking forward to your next articles!
Adina
SCNewbie
Anderson, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2008
10:20 PM

Post #4551661

I want to add my THANK YOU here, too! :)) I have decent computer skills (since I'm a commercial webmaster), but have also been very frustrated by the programs I've looked at.

Thanks to your article here, I've bookmarked two of them to check into further. ('Course, I also have a geek nephew living with me now, a major in computer science, so if I can't figure it out, maybe he can help me. hehehehehe)
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2008
10:38 PM

Post #4551737

critter, yes, to my knowledge the resizing is true for all the programs. not the FREE online sites, I don't think. and quite possibly not the 'veggie only' one. The ones I have actually been able to play with it has just been a matter of either grabbing edges or editing properties.

Adina, good to hear from you. thanks

Newbie in SC, they have improved. Still take some time and patience. I'm sure some are more user friendly than others. Unfortunately, I haven't worked with all of them, so I can't point you in the right direction for that. the 'wizards' or 'quick starts' features should help. But it sounds like you have the needed skills.
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2008
1:26 AM

Post #4552438

Great article Jan! I've tried a couple a few years ago, and admit I always went back to the "pencil and paper" out of frustration with the learning curve, the amount of time it took to get even the house where I wanted it, and lack of plants that I wanted. Guess it's time to take another look!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garden Design on Your Computer, Part 1: A Mini-Review of the Available Software Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful! Braveheartsmom 1 Feb 18, 2008 1:51 PM
Timely Article frausnow 1 Feb 18, 2008 2:29 PM
Really usefull article! daleapowell 2 Feb 24, 2008 8:09 PM
3D Home Architech Design Suite available wooconley 1 Mar 10, 2008 11:19 PM
Great article! Thank you! smwgarden 1 Sep 9, 2008 2:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America