Photo by Melody

Article: Garden Crafts: How-to Instructions For A Macrame' Hanging Planter: great directions and pics

Communities > Forums > Article: Garden Crafts: How-to Instructions For A Macrame' Hanging Planter
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garden Crafts: How-to Instructions For A Macrame' Hanging PlanterReplies: 15, Views: 122
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 17, 2008
11:53 AM

Post #4549464

I haven't made one of these since, well, yes, my hippie days LOL, but your directions make it look very simple. I may just tackle one of these sometime soon!
Thanks for the article (and the nostalgia...)
dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2008
1:14 PM

Post #4549561

Ditto on everything that Dutchlady said. Very well done!!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2008
1:44 PM

Post #4549658

thanks for your article... I think i'm gonna give it a whirl. When I was a kid, mom always made these... currently have 4 hanging plants ... and the last 'hangers' i had to buy, cuz the ones mom made me eons ago, finally dry rotted.

now's my chance to make some for myself.

doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2008
2:04 PM

Post #4549726

I've been looking for additional hangers for my plants. Your directions and information is first rate! I think I can do this. Thanks for the information!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2008
2:08 PM

Post #4549739

Thanks ya'll!

At any point, if you get stumped, you can post here with questions, or D-mail me.

If there is enough interest, I'll do a later macramé project that is more elaborate.
bjf826
panhandle, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 17, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #4550029

This is great! I just paid $20 to a fellow DGer for a color photocopy of a pamphlet of macrame patterns because it is nearly impossible to find them on the internet or ANYWHERE else. Your pictures and instructions are topnotch. Thank you so much for this article.

Barb

P.S. And please please please do more when you can!! :)
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #4550139

Old knotter here, too. It's been years, but I made so many when I was a teen I'm sure I could do them in my sleep. I made wall hangings for a furniture store, wish I'd known about the florist! It is time to shop for some cord! What a fun article, great pics!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2008
4:16 PM

Post #4550243

Florists were great customers, of course it was during the Big Houseplant Boom... I bought jute in 25 lb rolls.

Glad there's several interested. We'll do a more abstract hanger next. Maybe something that will hang on a fence and hold half pots.

It will keep me from having to dust off my memory of Chinese Crown Knots for awhile...haven't done one of those in decades! (literally)
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 17, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #4550381

Great article! I haven't done macrame in years and now I'm wanting to get the supplies and make a couple of plant hangers!

Thanks so much for the really easy instructions with photo's!

Lin

edited to say: I remember throwing away so many plant hangers because I thought they were "out of style" ... I even had two hanging macrame tables that my aunt had made for me in 1971. It was assembled just like the pot hangers, just much longer and hubby cut out round pieces of wood that I stained for the center as the table. Aaah ... memories of the early 70's!

This message was edited Feb 17, 2008 11:53 AM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2008
4:43 PM

Post #4550386

Thanks for a great how-to article!

It's been a long time since I did any macrame, and it's time I tried it again... I'd forgotten the functional purpose of the beads!

Even the simplest cheap hangers go for $10 at my local nursery, so this is a skill worth learning, or dusting off.

A half-pot hanger project sounds cool!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2008
5:01 PM

Post #4550449

Yeah, waxing nostalgic here...wanting to hunt up my paisley mirror shirt, my floppy hat, and do some more macramé. Guess I'll get another project in the works.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2008
5:13 PM

Post #4550495

LOL, still wear the hats and the loose skirts, maybe I'll grow my hair long again.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 17, 2008
9:55 PM

Post #4551569

Some of us must be of the same generation ... bell bottoms, long straight hair with a flower behing the ear, huge hoop earrings. Aaaaah ... Thanks for the memories!
fln8v
Port Charlotte, FL

February 18, 2008
3:08 PM

Post #4554938

Don't forget the old trick for the Chinese Crown--a cardboard box w/a small slit to hold your cords static!!!
Ursula
Santiago
Chile
(Zone 9b)

February 19, 2008
2:50 AM

Post #4557987

Melody, thank you so much for this great article/instruction. How did you know I wanted to learn macramé knotting? I love it!

Hugs,

Ursula

PS.- please, keep them coming ;o)
NatureWalker
New York & Terrell, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 12, 2008
11:42 AM

Post #4653801

I agree with all of the above Melody, we must have our 'slips' showing ... I think I'll change over to shorts for the warmer months .. well they all look like green & tan kaki hunter style shorts & eek... & even 5 pairs of 'pedal pushers'; so they're 'dated' too.

Thanks for those easy instructions; I've been Hunting for those ... too. LOL

~* Robin

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garden Crafts: How-to Instructions For A Macrame' Hanging Planter Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank You MOM4OWLS 2 May 15, 2008 3:11 PM
You are a bloomin' genius skeeler 1 Mar 7, 2008 9:56 PM
hanging tables donnalegare 0 Apr 15, 2008 10:52 PM
hanging tables wormfood 2 Jul 3, 2008 5:26 PM
Oh, Hi Melody wormfood 0 Jul 3, 2008 5:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America