-
AuthorContent
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #4552596

Here is the second thread for the RoundUp. Come on over and chat about the RoundUp and everyone is welcome to come.

Bernie, I'll let you go first but I come in second!

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2008
1:58 AM

Post #4552652

Ok. I have a confession. I'm an ice creamaholic. I have proudly been ice cream free now for a few weeks. I've been in denial though drinking milk shakes and saying that they don't count as ice cream. I'll try to control myself at the RU, but I can't make any promises. LOL

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 18, 2008
1:58 AM

Post #4552653

I won't take to much, got to watch my figure!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2008
3:08 AM

Post #4553078

I never deny myself and when you alll meet me you will see why. LOL
fsrstarr
Norwood, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2008
4:53 AM

Post #4553580

Y'all got to stop with the ice cream talk... when I get to go town (finally) I will find myself heading straight to get an ice cream... ;)

Eva Mae, My dd, and I would love some of your bread starter...

Is there a plant swap thread? Where are we talking about plants to bring?

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2008
8:34 PM

Post #4556412

Plant swap thread. Nothing formal, just throwing plants into vehicles to make sure they don't go back home with you. LOL http://www.davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/814805/
slowtornado
Belle Plaine, KS

February 19, 2008
5:34 PM

Post #4560217

I have a question for everyone coming to the RU. I asked pepper23, she suggested I post it.
Who is bringing small children?
I walked through a toy dept. yesterday and I immediately had a thought about a bunch of kids watching the adults give each other *prizes*. And I could see they're faces in my mind. I dont have kids myself, but it will be somewhat uncomfortable to watch them watch us, if they dont also get something.
Does everyone see where I'm going with this?
We need to do something for them too. If you're bringing a kid, bring a *gift* too.
I guess the people bringing kids should bring a gift for your own tot. That way a 10yo wont get a toy for a 2yo.
Party's & hurt feelings dont mix.
Lora☺
amethystsm
belleville, NJ
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2008
5:40 PM

Post #4560242

Not in your area, but from STL, and may be visiting in the spring...
why can i not figure out when this RU is?

amy

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2008
10:08 PM

Post #4561212

I tell you I just don't know how bad for Rusty want to or not... Tell kids to be very carefully with it...I teach them to be nice...

Pepper, I accept kids around and I have to keep eye on Rusty...I try to train him to be nice with kids...
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2008
10:22 PM

Post #4561266

slowtornado what a thoughful idea, I won't be bringing any kids, well maybe hubby : ).

But I can just see what you mean, kids standing around and no gifts for them, unless their into seeds or plants or a bag of compost.

Good thinkin slowtornado : )
amethystsm
belleville, NJ
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2008
11:12 PM

Post #4561475

(it's a secret)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 19, 2008
11:25 PM

Post #4561515

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/805676/
L☺☺k here.
amethystsm
belleville, NJ
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2008
11:33 PM

Post #4561546

Oops! Thanks - i feel silly now.
i *did* look on the RU forum and i didn't see it - i guess i didn't get past the 1st page. And it isn't on the Roundups at a Glance sticky...
sorry, and thank you...

amy

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2008
12:14 PM

Post #4585341

I will be bringing my 3 year old gr-d. Yeah, we have to really watch her around our own dogs. I hope that won't be a problem. We no longer allow our dogs in the house, but keep them on the sunporch because of an incident last fall. Too stressful trying to keep an eye on her and the dogs all the time. Our one dog was becoming way too territorial about the sofa. If Rusty will be running loose, we may just come Sunday for Powell Gardens. Though I'm sure he's a sweet pup, too much stress & my gr-d is too precious. : )

Toys? The kid has way too much stuff now. I'll bring something like a plastic watering can, hand tools, &/or sandbucket & shovel. My gr-d helps me water my garden with her little watering can & then plays with it in the bathtub during the winter months. It's also fun in the wading pool or sandbox. Chloe also has her own gardening tools. She's my lil' garden buddy & loves browsing thru seed catalogs; naming all the vegies & fruits. Her favorite gardening activity is harvesting; though most of what she harvests gets eaten right away. I started my gr-d & 2 daughters out gardening with me at infancy. I placed them in the shade of the pear tree that borders my garden where they watched as I toiled. That pear tree has shaded 2 generations of future gardeners.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2008
12:33 PM

Post #4585375

Rusty will be on chain tied up... OR stay in van with window open...

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2008
12:27 AM

Post #4588132

Thank you. We'll bring Rusty a treat. What can he have or what does he like? How about a nice big rawhide chew?

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2008
1:40 AM

Post #4588476

Rusty can't have rawhide chew cause his upper teeth was chips off that he was fight between dog next door and bite on chain link fence and his teeth got all chips... He like only Ol' Roy Tiny Special T's treat so I bring along with it... No bones allow...

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2008
3:02 AM

Post #4588852

I'm sorry. Does he like toys?

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2008
3:47 AM

Post #4589054

He like blue long plush dog and he chew easy and noise squeaky (only home he don't want to play while on road he like play his blue soft rubber open-hole ball that I throw to room and he run for ball)...

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2008
12:09 PM

Post #4589790

Our dogs like those toys too!

My daughters saw Rusty's picture and love his big ears. He does look sweet. Sorry about the gr-d. Kids that age are so unpredictable around animals. She'll suddenly go in for a big hug and the dog; esp. a strange dog; doesn't understand and may feel threatened by the sudden movement towards him. It's that she loves animals so much that gets her in trouble.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2008
12:25 PM

Post #4589820

Here's his 2nd paw print...His feet is very perfect paw!

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2008
2:31 PM

Post #4590242

I too understand about Grandkiddies and dogs. I even watch them around our new puppy. Both can get in trouble,lol.

Rusty looks and sounds like a great fur friend.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 26, 2008
6:19 PM

Post #4591306

Last year at Cedar Rapids, Rusty was along. The whole day went by before I noticed him. Very well behaved dog.
Bernie
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2008
11:52 PM

Post #4592727

When we get closer to the RU date everyone who wants some starter be sure to let me know. I have 10 bags in the freezer now. It can easily become overwhelming.
fsrstarr
Norwood, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2008
5:42 AM

Post #4594692

I would like to some starter if there is enough. I do not want to keep someone else from getting some though.

Rusty is a beautiful boy. I look forward to meeting him.

I am sure that with everyone around and with keeping an eye out, that all will be well. There is a place for everyone in our group. Gr-kids and fur-kids... With a little care we will be great. I am not bringing Laci and Luci this year. The girls have become so close that I would not bring one without the other and Laci has become carsick the last few times she has been out for any distance. It is strange, when she was younger she could go and go...now she gets sick... Luci is an excellent traveler, but I hate to separate the two.

Thumbnail by fsrstarr

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2008
12:53 PM

Post #4595171

You all are great. I can't wait to meet everyone. Off to work. Had to attend my supervisor's mom's funeral visitation last night. Boy, am I tired. Got so lost trying to find her small rural hometown. Very nice family. So sad. Got to keep things going at work until she's able to come back. Have a nice day!
fsrstarr
Norwood, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2008
5:14 AM

Post #4624458

It is getting closer ...

spring and a round up ... so much to look forward to...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #4748503

Just bumping this up to remind everyone that it is only a couple more weeks til the RU.

Those of you who are going to Powell Gardens on Sunday send me a quick d-mail with number of tickets you will need so I can make sure and have enough by then. I am thinking that we can all meet in the commuter parking lot in Odessa around 8:30 am if you guys want to be there around 9am. The commuter lot is located next to Morgans' Resturant off of 40 Hwy. You can't miss it. :~)
slowtornado
Belle Plaine, KS

April 3, 2008
2:20 AM

Post #4748712

Hi Amanda, hi everybody:) I'm eating ice cream at this very second.
We are trying very hard to find a small camping trailer or motor home for the RU. It will be a good time to test everything. Amanda, we'll take 2 tickets to the gardens, please:)
And we'll be able to bring the dogs too. Instead of boarding them. I hate boarding them in the Spring. One is a 9yo. chihuahua, and scared to death of thunder. And it is that time of year. We tried a sedative on the 4th of July, that was a bad experience.
I'm so looking forward to meeting all of you☺☺☺
Lora☺
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2008
2:33 AM

Post #4748764

Lora, I understand about your older dog. We had a dog once what would tear holes in the screen doors and anything else she had to if we didn't get her into the house in time when a storm was approaching. Another one would hide under the old cabin in the yard.

I'll be so glad to meet all the newbies and see old friends as well. It just hit me a few minutes ago how close it is to the RU. YIKES! I need to start getting organized and ready to pack the van as much as possible on Wed. since I'll be working both Thursday and Friday. I need to leave home about 7:30 Sat. morning at the latest. I need to start digging plants this weekend.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2008
10:00 PM

Post #4752569

Hey Amanda,

If you could have 1 for my oldest daughter (the vegetarian), that would be great. She was able to get off work that Saturday; though she has to work Sunday evening; so we'll have to hurry back. I have the Mobot membership to cover me & my other daugther. I believe that my membership should also take care of the 3 yr old gr-d.

Thanks
Betty
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2008
4:01 AM

Post #4759514

I think we all need to go back to the RU food thread and review it. Lets make sure we have everything covered. It is only 2 weeks from tomorrow.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2008
12:29 AM

Post #4772973

Those of you who wanted to see the Chapungu display at PG you are in luck!! They are currently setting it up and there are already several sculptures set up so you can view them. There are many, many more to go but they have made quite a bit of progress.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2008
12:35 AM

Post #4773004

I still need final confirmation of those coming to Powell Gardens on Sunday. I need to make sure I get tickets for everyone so you all can get in free. I know there are more of you coming so just send me a quick d-mail with number of tickets needed so I know for sure. Thanks!!!!

So far I have heard from:
LindaWalkabout
Greenbrain
slowtornado
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2008
8:42 PM

Post #4777330

I know this is way off plants and such but would anyone be interested in scrap fabric for quilting or other fabric projects. I have boxes that I have kept thinking i would do something someday, well ya know how that goes. I could load them up if interested. I make slipcovers for a living and many of my clients didn't care to have the scrap fabric back (non sewers) so instead of tossing in landfill I just saved thinking of doing something with fabric. JLMK and I'll bring em to the round up.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2008
12:33 AM

Post #4778299

My grandma sows and may be interested. Load them up and everyone can pick thru them. :~)
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #4778335

I wish gas wasn't so expensive I would like to go. I have a army training meeting on Sat which throws a wrench in things too.
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2008
12:45 AM

Post #4778382

Well do Amanda, a lot of the stuff I got at garage sales and bought at discount for little of nothing so I would be so happy if others could take off my hands and make into quilts and things. I'm cleaning up my workshop and getting tired of the boxed up look, lol
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2008
12:46 AM

Post #4778393

I also know of a volunteer who makes quilts for little kids in shelters. So I will also see if there is anything in there she might want.
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #4778503

Oh that is wonderful , I'm sure glad I asked. I knew these scraps were to good to toss. some are good size pieces too.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #4778515

Whatever doesn't get taken I will go ahead and take to work and have my friend sort thru them and get what she wants. :~)
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2008
1:12 AM

Post #4778593

Thank you Amanda , I think it will be put to good use somewhere insead of boxes, lol.

I can't believe RU is almost here. I got to start digging up plants to bring. You mention door prises , do we need to wrap them or just open gifts?

I hope the weather is nice and it gets all its rain out this week. We need warm sunshine. But just incase, whats the plans if we have a real cold or rainy day both Sat and Sunday at PG? We'er not cuz its going to be nice!!!!!

I need to find out who was bringing a bread starter. I think it was leaflady, I would love a start of it. I tried making sour dough starter with potatoes , but it didn't do : (

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2008
1:21 AM

Post #4778649

Door prizes: Bring as they are. Everyone likes to look over them and ooh and ahhh.

Weather: At the RU we can go inside if it rains or is too cold. Everyone make sure to have extra layers in your vehicles just in case. PG will go on even if it is cold. It is alot of easy walking so we won't be cold much. If it rains that day then we can find something else to do. I know of a great antique mall in Blues Springs that we can spend the day in. LOL

It was leaflady who is bringing starter. :~)
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2008
1:24 AM

Post #4778661

thats a good plan Pepper :-)

Oh Leaflady can I have some starter plz :-)
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2008
1:32 AM

Post #4778729

Thanks for reminding me. I have a lot of bags in the freezer. I guess I need to keep them frozen so whoever takes them won't have to use them in a couple days. I really think the day they thaw out will be day one with them. So you will have 10 days before you have to use some of it and have lots left over.

Allen, there are others in Columbia you might be able to ride with if the Army doesn't take presidence.
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2008
1:35 AM

Post #4778751

Thank you leaflady, I will get started on my starter, lol I love homemade bread.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2008
1:37 AM

Post #4778772

This starter isn't the homemade bread I have a feeling you are thinking of, Linda. This is a quick bread type product.
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2008

Post #4778825

The quicker the better, lol I would still love some. Anything you make yourself and not in a plastic bag that gets old before you even open it , I will like : ) You'll need to give us some of your favorite quick bread recipes.
slowtornado
Belle Plaine, KS

April 13, 2008
4:19 PM

Post #4802079

I have lived in Kansas most of my life, but I've never heard of this. Check it out.
I would like to go see it, but I dont think we'll have time.
http://www.1856.com
It's the museum of a sunken riverboat. Fascinating bit of history.
Lora☺
amethystsm
belleville, NJ
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2008
4:56 PM

Post #4802222

i tell people about that ALL the time!!!
It was the coolest thing i did when i visited KC (back when i still lived in STL).
One of the neatest "museums" i've ever been to - and one of the guys who dug it up was there to talk with and was super nice...
Anyone who can go - it is worth it!
amy
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2008
8:29 PM

Post #4803073

Leaflady, I had thought about trying to carpool but I can't get off duty. I would love to go because I know I would gain a wealth of knowledge about plants and such. Not to mention I would love to get some starts.
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2008
8:39 PM

Post #4803107

Snow flurries this weekend, : ( and cold.

Round Up time is just around the corner. What time will it start on the 19th?

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2008
8:44 PM

Post #4803130

I will be there at 8am but *officially* it starts around 10am. But from 8 on everyone is welcome to come.

I will need help unloading our big grill so if I can have a couple people show up early that would be great. We were gonna use the smaller grill but it would take forever to get all the cooking done otherwise.

Everyone who has lawn chairs please bring some. We will need them if the weather is nice.
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2008
10:16 PM

Post #4803533

Pepper DH and I can get there early and help with the grill, I can smell the food a cookin now :-)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2008
10:46 PM

Post #4803661

Thanks! It's a big and heavy grill so I will need the help.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2008
1:05 PM

Post #4806287

What time is the RU?

leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2008
2:09 PM

Post #4806621

Pepper says she will be there at 8 but it all officially starts about 10. A.M. of course. See you there.
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2008
4:25 PM

Post #4807253

I hope you all have a wonderful time. So hoping I could come, but maybe next year. :-)
slowtornado
Belle Plaine, KS

April 14, 2008
6:01 PM

Post #4807673

Darn it Lori, I wanted to meet you.
Like you said, maybe next year.
Lora☺
slowtornado
Belle Plaine, KS

April 15, 2008
5:03 PM

Post #4812864

Amanda, I dont know when we'll get there. The toad is gonna slow us down. It should only take about 3-4hrs. without it. But it may take closer to 6hrs. Late afternoon is my best guess. I still havent taken a pic. But I will.
Lora☺
slowtornado
Belle Plaine, KS

April 15, 2008
5:09 PM

Post #4812884

BTW, HAPPY BIRTHDAY☺
lora☺
slowtornado
Belle Plaine, KS

April 15, 2008
6:42 PM

Post #4813228

OK everybody, I got that pic for ya! She aint pretty. But she's got everything we need! This will be our road-test weekend.
Wish us luck!☺ At least you wont be shocked when you see it.
Lora☺

Thumbnail by slowtornado

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 15, 2008
7:54 PM

Post #4813589

Love the color, a couple flowers on the sides & away you go!
slowtornado
Belle Plaine, KS

April 15, 2008
11:28 PM

Post #4814495

Ooohh, flower boxes under the windows!!! And ivy over the door!!! LMBO

Do we have any painters in the group???

HubB wants to put a black stripe with arrows on the sides! help
Lora *I dont know whether to laugh or cry now*.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2008
12:30 AM

Post #4814780

LOL. My mom was speechless when she saw the pic. Since it is metal it can easily be painted white.

leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2008
11:22 AM

Post #4816178

Someone please tell me what is wrong with the color it is. Or do I really need to put on my glasses? Of course those of you who have seen my home know why I say that. lol. But I do think some flowers on the sides would add a lovely touch. And flower boxes to hang on the windows when it is parked.

I'm off to PG today. See you are breaks & lunch, Pepper.

GOD bless and keep each of you.
slowtornado
Belle Plaine, KS

April 16, 2008
4:13 PM

Post #4817297

I like green, the right shade is one of my favorite colors. But this shade is just too much all at once. The girl we bought it from used it to teach hunter safety. It has 14 curtain panels in guess what-----camouflage pattern. We'll use them till I find something more appealing. She even gave us the rest of 5gal. of the paint.

I have to get busy. I have a bunch of stuff to do before Fri. Have to go shopping too.

Lora☺
slowtornado
Belle Plaine, KS

April 16, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #4817403

We are bringing: a few lawn chairs, a camping table, a screen house, door prizes, empty boxes to share and some plants. I'm not sure what or how many.

Lora☺
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2008
8:47 PM

Post #4818283

Hello Everyone :) Spring greetings, I'm still alive and kickin' over here... just really busy.. I regret I won't make the spring RU, I wanted to see everyone and meet new faces... I'm off on a road trip to Dallas and back (really quick), but will find some gardens and nurseries to visit for a break from the car... I wish you all safe traveling, fair weather, fun times and I'll be thinking of you Saturday as I pull into Dallas. Lora, I like the color of green, but prolly not for a camper... but it still serves it's purpose, right? Maybe some yellow "John Deere" letters? I like the flower box and ivy idea better than a black stripe, you could tint the left-over (how sweet of her) paint and make the outside camo, too, no one would even see you then... 14 panels? wow. Enjoy the RU everyone!
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2008
12:02 AM

Post #4818950

We are going to miss you so much, AuntB. Have a safe trip.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2008
12:23 AM

Post #4819025

Have fun AuntB!!

Sounds good Lora. The table especially should come in handy.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2008

Post #4819655

Those of you coming in Friday: Do you want to meet for dinner that night?
slowtornado
Belle Plaine, KS

April 17, 2008
3:15 AM

Post #4820162

What is the head count so far for the weekend, Amanda?

I kind of hate to ask if we can be there in time for dinner. He has already bent over backwards for me, so we can do this. At this point I'm just happy to be coming at all.
He is working on the fridge now, at 10:00. So far everything works, except the gas fired half of the fridge.

BTW, I haven't told you his name, its not hubB. ha It's Irl, pronounced Earl. It's a family thing. His GP did it to his Dad, so his Dad had to do it to him! I don't know what they were thinking.

Lora☺
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2008
3:30 AM

Post #4820269

Lora, get there when you can. We will welcome you and Irl with open arms any time you can make it. You have a long drive to get there.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2008
10:58 AM

Post #4821243

I really don't have a head count any more. lol. My best guess is 20 max but I am figuring on less.

I won't worry about dinner Fri night then. It was an idea brought up earlier in the year and I figured I toss it out there. :-)
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2008
1:56 PM

Post #4821863

Pepper , I will be working In Overland Park on Friday, so could not join in on the din, din, it sounded great. Would have been nice for those traveling, but thats hard to on timing.

What time is the PG gathering on Sunday and how many will be going ?

I need to find where to go for the RU so dh and I can be there early to help unload grill and help you set up things.

leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2008
2:22 PM

Post #4821961

If I get there by 10 I will be doing well. I know I am telling myself that I need to leave home by 7 or so but realistically I know that isn't going to happen. I probably won't even be dressed by 7 since I'm working today and tomorrow night. I need to rest part of tomorrow morning or early afternoon before going to work. That extra shift on Tuesday night really thru me off and working today will take a lot out of me too. I may just do less and charge her less. Next week should be less tiring. It will have to be. I'm not in shape for this sudden onset of work and the weather lately has been very hard on the fibro and arthritis.
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2008
2:56 PM

Post #4822112

You take care leaflady, sure don't want to get yourself down. And you need to be rested for the trip too. Can't wait to meet you but I want you safe and sound for the RU : ) so no rushing , we all will be there when you come in.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2008
12:06 AM

Post #4824338

I figure we could meet at PG on Sunday around 9am. That's what time we open and that will give everyone enough time to look around and be on the road before by early afternoon. I think there is altogether around 10 or so.

Those of you who need directions to Powell Gardens: Ask me for directions on Saturday. It will be easier to give individual directions unless you all want to meet in Odessa. We can figure it out then.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2008
3:05 AM

Post #4825281

I stopped the flower bed work early today. I'll finish it next week sometime. I did need the time to rest. Michelle came home just before I had stopped. I had decided how far I would go for the day. That job is really something a teenage boy or man should be doing but there doesn't seem to be one available so I'm doing it for her. I do things like that here at home so it isn't as tho I don't do that kind of heavy yardening. But I don't want to get too tired. Her soil is the same heavy black gumbo I have here at home. I told her what grass killer she needs to get and that she needs some large bales of professional potting soil to mix in or just replace it with and where to get it. She lost a lot of soil in her raised beds when I dug out those big chunks of grasses and weeds becaise it was so wet it stuck to the roots badly.

This RU is going green!! I did the rest of the shopping for the RU after I left her house. I got 20 more washable plastic plates, 16 - 20 real forks and spoons, and more washable plastic 16 oz. glasses. I already have quite a few washable stuff so we should have more than enough. I will have containers for food scraps & the plates and flatware. I'll bring the plates, glasses, & flatware home and wash and sterilze them for future RUs.I thought about washable bowls too. What do the rest of you think? Do we need them for ice cream, soups, chili, etc.? Let me know by noon tomorrow.

Are we going to do ice cream? What flavors should I get? And how much? I was thinking of 3 or 4 half gallon cartons of that many different flavors. So let me know what your favorite is and I'll see if WalMart has it tomorrow night. I think it has turned out to be better to just buy some. I need to know that by noon tomorrow too so I can get it after I get off work tomorrow night. We have a 24 hr. WalMart about 3 miles from the cafe'. I will need to lay down for a couple hours tomorrow before going to work. Like 1 p.m. - 3 p.m.

It started raining here about 7 this evening and has done so off and on since then. Not a lot tho. The weather man is calling for rain all night and maybe some in the morning. But Saturday is suppose to be warm and sunny on Saturday. I can hardly wait.

dave719
Humansville, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2008
6:28 PM

Post #4827808

Ya,ll have a great time tomorrow Elle and I would sure like to be there But It's not going to happen Maybe in the fall
Dave & Elle

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2008
9:13 PM

Post #4828362

Here's Rusty:

"Oh, mom! Please I can't wait to meet all peoples!"

Rusty was lying on front door point to go outside for 2 days row and wait for me to go!

Thumbnail by JuJu55

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2008
12:25 AM

Post #4829200

UPDATE!! EvaMae is in the hospital due to overworking herself this past week. She is ok and will get out tomorrow. But she will not make it to the RU.

Lora, Irl, the dogs and the green camper all made it ok. They arrived a few hours ago.

Also, we are soggy out there. Very soggy. We may have to have be inside til afternoon cause we have standing water in places. Whatever you do don't wear your best clothes or shoes.
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

April 19, 2008
2:12 PM

Post #4831210

sorry to hear about eva mae
this last couble monuth been bad
wet and cold over work
we hope to go and see people this fall
every one please be careful
elle
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2008
2:35 PM

Post #4831284

I have to work this morning in downtown KC hopefully won't be a long day and can get to the RU, plants in the car, food in the fridge here at work, fingers crossed.
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2008
2:49 PM

Post #4831367

I hope you all have a FABULOUS day! I'll be thinking about you. :-)

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2008
10:24 PM

Post #4832763

I have a good times to heard news about garden and foods is so excellent! Yum-o cheeseburger is taste good...

1st sursprised door prize (worth $400) was Jim Pyle and his wife want it so bad and she got hug me for that prize! So, I hope you will have garden mini greenhouse with light and 3 boxes of cherry tomatoes, basils and chili peppers...

I got pansies with butterfly pitcher with plate, windchime and jumbo aluminum link...

Some of plants which it was tulip ( 2 different kinds), sedums, ornament peppers, some other which I don't know name...

I see you at PG tomorrow at 10 am (if I'm late you know Rusty go for bathroom)...
I bring my digital camera and I gonna leave my dog in my van for while...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2008
10:45 PM

Post #4832818

It wasn't over work that got me this time. It was an anaphalatic level allergic reaction to lidocaine. Nearly killed me. I will have to keep an epipen with me at all times now. This is the first time I have had this sudden and serious a reaction to anything. I just rubbed about 1/2 tsp. of it on the upper part of my left arm after pulling a muscle a few hours earlier playing tug of war with some velcro and a sweater. I knew lidocaine patches for pain are now available thru prescription so I thought I could use it out of the bottle of it that I for a swish and spit for mouth sores about 3 years ago. I won't be doing that again. Lidocaine is used in ora jell, baby teething lotion, etc. I was on high doses of IV steroids and benedryl until noon today. Now I'm home and can go to work tomorrow. I will take gradually reduced doses of steroids for 6 days them be on my regular daily doses after that.

I was so sorry to miss the RU. Oh well, more door prizes for the next one. I feel sorry for Pepper that so many had to cancel out at the last minute. I know we all planned to come and then life got in the way. I called her right after I got home.

We seem to have gotten quite a bit of rain while I gone. I watched the forcast on KC stations last night and it looked as tho Pepper was going to have a repeat of last fall. But she said it didn't really rain, just overcast and cool.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2008
11:05 PM

Post #4832876

Leaflady,

I has Lidocaine patches now and it work for me but not use everyday just once a day for 12 hrs patch on then next 12 hrs off patch... I cut the half of the patches which I have tailbone and pelvis joints really hurt me alot... So, I use it and sure it work for me... Remember keep pets or childrens not near patches... Patches is like jelly patch... Also I take some medicines is Skelaxin 800mg I cut 1/2 tables 400mg only as doctor told me to do ... So, it work for me too muscles joint relax...

Hope you get some bit rest time by time not too hard...

God bless you and all of as today is blessing me at RU...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2008
10:00 PM

Post #4837196

The RU went great despite the poor weather. Not too many made it but those of us who were there had a great time. My coworker Tracy had so much fun that she is gonna try to sign up on here so she can talk to everyone all the time. She plans on coming to the Fall RU too.

Most of us stayed outside and enjoyed sitting around a bonfire that my dad made on a hood we had laying around. We kept the fire going and even ate our lunch around it cause it felt so good. lol. LindaWalkabout's sister thought we had a fire on the hood of a vehicle itself. Linda told us about that today and we had a good laugh over that. lol

As Rusty said above, Linda's hubby won the big prize and made Linda so happy she was jumping up and down and all over the place. I'm suprised she didn't knock any of us over. Especially Lora after Lora dumped coffee on her earlier. LOL

PG went great!! We all loved it and the only thing we wished for was that some more plants were in bloom. But all of the daffies, lenton roses, bloodroot, and some other stuff were blooming so there wasn't a lack of blooms. We all went to the gift shop and spent some money which makes Angie, who runs it, very happy. lol. We also ate at the Cafe and enjoyed their food and had a bit of fun picking on a coworker of mine who was helping out in there.

I hope those of you who have to travel make it home ok with no major weather happening between here and there. Especially with The Toad.

I will post pics later tonight. Won't have time tomorrow or Tues since I have a riding lesson after work tomorrow and a volunteer dinner on Tues. So I will get them tonight even if I fall asleep here. LOL

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2008
11:19 PM

Post #4837536

Well, as I count my pics is 209! I took alot of flowers blooms so beautiful colorful...That's so long walk around PG's...

Final, Linda show me 'Witch Hazel" She thought just on ground nope it was tree!
It grow only like shurb tree...

I brought some good books and some eat lunch so good yum...

Rusty is good and want to rest at motel in Chillicothe... Drove up North 65...

Here's DG's groups:

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2008
11:23 PM

Post #4837554

I took this morning on HWY. 50...

PG's sign:

Thumbnail by JuJu55

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2008
1:15 AM

Post #4838023

Here is the group on the Island Garden today. LindaWalkabout is in yellow, slowtornado in maroon, slowtornado's hubby in plaid and Linda's in front.

Thumbnail by pepper23

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #4838210

Pepper23 show flowers in big clay pot...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2008
1:34 AM

Post #4838236

Anna and camera with part of the group behind her.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2008
1:43 AM

Post #4838303

I sure had a fun filled weekend, thanks to Pepper and all the DGers and their families and friends at the Round Up. Learn some stuff to , more garden info : ).

Started off kinda cool but the warm fire and hot coffee ( before Slow Tornado toss some on me) did the trick and warmed us up.

Lots of food , laughs and walkabouts and plants, lots of plants!!!!!.

Got to meet Rusty to, hes a beauty and cares for his mom Rusty56. There where some other fur friends that came to the Round Up as well.

Slow Tornado and her hubby brought their buddies, Ginger and Bear. Oh Bear is a really big dog, lets see I think he might weigh in at about 2 ounces. They all came pullin the green Toad.

Yep m Dh won the big door prize, and was it ever nice. WOW and I did sorta go nuts, You would have too : ). I have wanted one of those Aero Gardens. Its quite the set up for growing herbs , peppers, etc right in your kitchen and have fresh gardens produce all year long, yum!!!!!

Thank you Rusty56 for such a generous gift to give for a door prize at the RU. I love it and so does DH, he thought that was pretty cool to win such a gift.

There where other gifts and everyone went home with a arm full.

Peppers grandmother makes pretty arrangements and had a couple in the gift exchange. I was able to get one : ). Her home is very nice and well, you just feel at home their. She has lots of ground to grow many flowers and veggies.

Thank you Pat for letting us enjoy our RU at your home out in the country.

I took pictures too and my batteries are getting charged up so will post some later.

You know I'm already missing you all : ( , sure glad theres the internet and more RU's on down the road!!!!!

Missed meeting others that could not make it, maybe on down the road.

Hope everyone made it back home and get some rest after the drive.

Greenbrain and her pretty DDaughters and beautiful Gdaughter was there and I met them today at PG. The little one was not feeling well toward the end of tour , so I'm hopin and praying she is much better tonight.

Amanda (Pepper) was a great host and a super great guide at Powell Gardens, she has much knowledge of the gardens.

Pepper I feel like I have know you forever, Thank you so very much , both Dh and I had a great time.

I'll be getting some pic later on, it probably will be tomorrow cuz i'm tooo tired to wait tell the batteries are charged up.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2008
1:48 AM

Post #4838343

I know much about the plants because I know how to be very annoying to the gardeners. They give me the info and I will leave them alone. For a little while anyways. LOL

Lora will never live that coffee down. LOL
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2008
1:54 AM

Post #4838383

Lol Pepper what ever works on getting the infor , I'm for. : )
But I know you work hard there and they know at PG they got a good one on the team. Good Job.

Heck no we aint goin let Lora live that down , no way shape or form !!!!!!

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2008
2:22 AM

Post #4838571

Hi all,
We made it home safely. My gr-d perked up about half way home. I believe that something she ate for breakfast didn't agree with her and then being out in the sun probably did her in. We all had such a wonderful time. Powell Gardens is now on our family's list of fav places to visit. We didn't want to go home.

Central Midwest folks are definitely some of the friendliest which made the trip even more enjoyable. Amanda's grandma is the best! Amanda gave us a thorough tour of PG & plants ontop of it.

I'm glad to hear that Linda & hubby, & Anna & Rusty all made it home safely. I guess we're still waiting to hear from Lora, hubby, & pups.

Thanks for a wonderful first RU experience. I look forward to coming back!
slowtornado
Belle Plaine, KS

April 21, 2008
3:06 AM

Post #4838782

It was one drop of coffee, it ACCIDENTALY hit her on the face. You're not the wicked witch cause you didnt melt!!!
And you still had fun, didnt you?

Sould have gotten some of those sweet tater fries for the road!!!

May be coming back in the fall.☺☺☺
Lora☺
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2008
10:59 AM

Post #4839948

Here is greenbrain posing.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2008
12:46 PM

Post #4840207

LOL , Lora, I sure did have fun , and if I was going to be hit by coffee glad it was the good kind. Lora had the best tastin cup of coffee she made in the Toad. Good to hear you all got home. The bring along Toad is great and so big inside.

Slow Tornado and I found out we were not buddies at the RU, that being buddies on the Yard Art Swap. We kept saying "Your Not My Buddy" :P LOL we had fun

I can't wait tell we have another RU.

Sweet taters on the road, they were good

Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2008
1:19 PM

Post #4840307

Heres a pic at PG of some of our DGer's

Pepper in the red , Slow Tornado in the maroon and Rusty56 in blue

Thumbnail by Lindawalkabout

Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2008
1:24 PM

Post #4840325

This is greenbrain and all her darling girls. They all loved the nature and beauty of PG.

Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2008
1:28 PM

Post #4840342

This area has a fountain that comes up and you can play and get wet , kids will love this , even some of us olders on a hot day

Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2008
1:33 PM

Post #4840360

Now when our men folk was standin in the middle , I was asking Pepper where was the turn on valve, hehehe, I get a little on the mischief side. Pepper would not let me know : (

Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2008
1:36 PM

Post #4840371

Heres Anna, she looked so pretty and perfessional with her awesome camera in the Gardens. I can't wait to see some of the pic she took

Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2008
1:57 PM

Post #4840434

I just live down the road from PG and havn't been there for some time, I'm planning to change that.

New is monumental stone sculptures from Zimbabwe which tell stories of their lives. This is exquisite works of art. We had the privilege to meet the artist and cordinator of this wonderful project. I'll post just a few of the pics I took.

Pepper is more knowledge on the meaning of each sculpture. Enjoy!!!!

The color of this store is beautiful

Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2008
2:04 PM

Post #4840466

I will have to go back and study the stories on these stones , but I think this pretty much says , the love and closeness of family that is present all over the world.

Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2008
2:09 PM

Post #4840479

I would love to know the meaning of this one, Why those kids had their hands up by their mouth .

Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2008
2:22 PM

Post #4840557

Not sure if this is from the Zimbabwe collection along with the other
sculptures I'll post, but I like this one too, a bird tucking in her eggs to keep warm and protected.

Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2008
2:30 PM

Post #4840594

Check out this guy , he greeted us on the path.

I'll be posting more pic later. Being Monday its a work day and I got to head in my workshop, but before I do that I'm going to go out and hunt for morels. Found a few this weekend : )

Storms later today so all be safe.

lineace
rural Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2008
2:40 PM

Post #4840657

Thanks for another great round-up. Sorry so many couldn't make it. Hope to see you all at the Fall Round-up.

Marilyn
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2008
2:49 PM

Post #4840707

Fall RU? Did someone say Fall Roundup?
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2008
4:03 PM

Post #4841034

Yes, McGlory, this group has both spring and fall RUs. It really is wonderful to attend one of them.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2008
11:58 PM

Post #4843175

I just got home an hour ago safe! Rusty run free his own back yard! lol...

Here's the old home that I was living in Osgood...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #4843694

Taken by my personal photographer in the PG greenhouse. Flowers on the right -- big noxious weed on the left. LOL

Thumbnail by greenbrain

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #4843726

Another by my personal photographer taken outside of the greenhouse. Sorry Linda, but I decided if my picture was going to be posted out here, I'd pick the ones I like. Ok, I'm done now. "2 snake" lake in the background. Snake photos coming soon.

Thumbnail by greenbrain

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2008

Post #4843754

I almost stepped on this one--yikes!! Would have hurt him, not me.

Thumbnail by greenbrain

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #4843764

The other snake. I unknowingly walked right between them. Yes, I'm afraid of snakes.

Thumbnail by greenbrain

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2008
1:50 AM

Post #4843789

This goose stood up straight as if posing as soon as the camera was aimed its way.

Thumbnail by greenbrain

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2008
1:51 AM

Post #4843796

He probably was. LOL. They get photograghed alot.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2008
1:53 AM

Post #4843818

Trying to escape the foot traffic.

Thumbnail by greenbrain

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2008
1:59 AM

Post #4843867

The snail graveyard.

Thumbnail by greenbrain

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2008
2:00 AM

Post #4843873

I had my dad try to identify that first snake but he doesn't reconize it. I will try to print that pic off for Alan or Mark at work. Mark takes care of the Island.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2008
2:02 AM

Post #4843889

The living wall at PG. Pepper can tell you more about it.

Thumbnail by greenbrain

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2008
2:09 AM

Post #4843938

Trolley ride with a view and a chance to rest our "barking dogs".

Thumbnail by greenbrain

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2008
2:10 AM

Post #4843953

It is the longest living wall on this side of the Atlantic. Lots of sedums and other hardy plants in there. They have to be extremely hardy due to the fact that they face the lake on all sides, have people touching them all the time and there are vehicles that we drive there that scrape the walls sometimes. We try to be careful but accidents happen. :~) It is a really neat wall and looks better every year when the plants get a bit bigger.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2008
2:11 AM

Post #4843966

Funny driver too. lol. He and his wife work there and are really nice.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #4843980

What a fun bench. You wear the butterfly wings.

Thumbnail by greenbrain

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2008
2:14 AM

Post #4843985

Here's Pepper and Rusty on the trolley. : )

Thumbnail by greenbrain

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #4844000

My oldest daughter appears to be enjoying herself.

Thumbnail by greenbrain

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2008
2:18 AM

Post #4844008

One more shot of the famous living wall. It was gorgeous.

Thumbnail by greenbrain

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2008
2:19 AM

Post #4844013

The last one is something alot of us have in our yards. Creeping phlox. :~) It loves growing in and over rocks.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2008
2:33 AM

Post #4844104

I finished planting the tulips, salvia, cannas, magnolia, & an unknown flower just before dark. Thanks again for the plants. Most of them went into my butterfly garden.

I'm going to try to post the rest of my pics in my journal to keep this thread from getting too long. I'll let you know when I'm finished. I've never done this before so it may take me a while.

My gr-d is doing just fine. She has been eating and playing all day. Now she's watching Cinderella for the 100th? time. Thanks Linda for the prayers. : )

This message was edited Apr 21, 2008 9:34 PM

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2008
2:42 AM

Post #4844180

Ok. I'm rather new to RUs. I'm going to start a Roundup Pictures thread & post my pics there if anyone else wants to add on, come on over.
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2008
3:07 AM

Post #4844385

Hi everyone

Great pictures greenbrain , I'm going to find that other thread

Who's doing the Fall RU?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2008
10:53 AM

Post #4845216

Whoever wants to host it. You volunteering? lol.
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2008
1:23 PM

Post #4845746

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh welllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Ok I would like to do a Fall RU, we are close to Powell Gardens , just 5 or 7 minutes away and those that have never been there could go visit.

We have 20 acers to romp on, woods and trails and open field, could see about a hay ride. Place for tents and Toad to set up.

There will be a fire pit close to the tent set ups too. I don't think I will have the big tipi ready by then, but if I do some could sleep in that. Thats really an ify on the tipi.

We can have a wiener roast and marsmellow up on the camp site, and lots of other stuff, BBQ for sure, lots of choices, rather then just old hot dogs.

Chilli to, some of that Toco Chilli that Tornado brought. Oh that was good, I want the recipe for that Lora, yum good!!!!!!!

Those not into walking can ride the little wagon up to the site. Have an old fashion cowboy breakfast to.

We'll have a treasure hunt in the woods, just on the trails so you don't have to go in the sticks.

We can set up stands with our produce and plants to share and give away. I'll have some outdoor games for kids and adults. And door prizes. oh boy do I sound excited or what !!!!!

Pepper see what your RU did :-) , thank you and I mean that in a very good way (((hugs)))

But I am a Newbie here on DG and if someone had their heart set on it before I did , I can wait. (linda hangs her head down and sniffs a little)

Just let me know what you all think, My feelings will not get hurt cuz i'm a tough ol bird.

slowtornado
Belle Plaine, KS

April 22, 2008
1:59 PM

Post #4845974

Sounds like you got it planned woman!☺ hehe. But I do have a suggestion, if you're planning on *campers*, you'll need to change the date. We would have brought a tent, but the weather was still too funky. We bought the toad so we could camp in bad weather, and have a place to put the dogs. We would have offered to share our other tents too. Plus time, we would have loved to stay a few more days. There was too much to do, I didnt get to hunt for junque or dumpster dive at all:( And I'm sure Irl would have loved to go fishing:)

Hey, what happened to the ice cream?

BTW, I just realized I used ice water to make coffee. That could be the secret:)
BTW2 this thread needs to be bumped, I dont know how to do it.
If someone will bump it, I'll post the recipe there☺
Lora☺
BTW3 Linda, I do have a pic of you & my camera is fine☺ So I could have taken more☺

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2008
2:03 PM

Post #4846005

Sound great for camping!

FYI: I will post some PG pics tonight... I have to see all the pics in memory cards...
I make new thread forum...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/837777/

This message was edited Apr 22, 2008 9:09 AM
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #4846112

What's the date, Linda? You're a great saleswoman! Who could possibly compete with that???
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2008
2:23 PM

Post #4846158

I don't know how to bump this fourm either.

Lora what do you mean I need to change the date, I'ts plan for the fall, Ok ok if you want the round up in Winter we'll go dog sledding then , lol

Glad you like to camp Rusty56 :-)

Fall is my favorite time, leaves will be changing and the weather is still warm enough to camp out. We camped out the 13 of Oct last year and it was beautiful, slept in a tipi. I was kind of thinkin if I was going to do RU early Oct or even last to weeks of Sept.

I would see about getting some sort of pen sit up for those that bring their fur friends, and then let the doggies out at different times so they can run and have fun and not get in trouble with each other : )

Lora, camp the Toad on the place and go do your dumpters diving and site seeing, not a problem, will hook you up to eletric. You can use our home for showers and such, not a problem.

And Lora, you said you had yogurt, thats just as good as icecream to me!!!!!!
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2008
2:32 PM

Post #4846220

I don't know McGlory you missed a good one Pepper had, I loved it so much I want to do one too.

BTW. those that scrapbook and those little guys that like to do art work , I have an art sudio with everything you can use to get those scrapbooks going. Toss your pictures and stuff along and do some scrapin too : )

If it raining or happens to be bad weather will be inside with fireplace going and we can make one heck of a meal in their too.

Anyone like to have a crab and shrimp boil ? We cook this outside along with taters and corn on the cob and toss everything on a hugh platter and dig in. We love to put those on too!!!!! We could still do that along with other BBQ

Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2008
2:51 PM

Post #4846337

You know I'm really good for any weekend in Oct. The later in the month is more showy leaves, not really here to much on our homestead, mostly yellows and reds from the Virgina Creeper, but for those driving can enjoy the trip and see the sites. So I'm game for any date. Last two weekends of September thr Oct.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2008
5:09 PM

Post #4847202

Sounds good to me, Linda. Just set the date and I'll try to make it.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 22, 2008
5:19 PM

Post #4847249

Southern MN will be either Sept 6 or 13, depending on when Kentucky has theirs.
Some people who go to those may like to come to yours, too.
Bernie
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2008
5:34 PM

Post #4847333

Great CountryGardens the more the merrier : )

I hope you can come leaflady , I was so hopin to meet you at the spring RU. Boy that was a scare you going to the hospital. Good to see it was not a long stay and your back to feeling good.

I got your Hyssop to mail to you , probably won't be able tell the end of the week. I got the nose to the grindstone in my workshop and just hav'in a break right now .

Oh I was able to get some walking onions, yeah, Pat , Peppers grandmother gave me some, so I'm good to go there!!!!!

slowtornado
Belle Plaine, KS

April 22, 2008
5:54 PM

Post #4847429

OH yeah, I forgot it's in the Fall. I'm ready to come back now!!! I was thinking Summer is better tent camping weather. Now that we have the toad, we'd be delighted to share the tents. But I'd be awfully embarassed if we were in a nice warm trailer & my buddies were in a silly, drafty tent. We have 2 family size tents, they both have a divider between the rooms. One has its own screen porch. Plus we have a regular screen house.

We're not into the crab & shrimp boil thing, or crawdads. But thats ok, you do whatever floats your boat. We'll take care of those hotdogs☺!

Did everybody check out that http://www.1856.com ? We need another day to do that.

I have more plants to plant, I'll be back L8R.

Lora☺
yeah, linda is a tough one, just splash some coffee on her!!! you'll see!
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2008
6:37 PM

Post #4847598

Lora : P, well i did don't melt so that's good : )

Steamboat Arabia would be cool to see, never been there.

You know we have Missouri Town 1855 that puts on a old fashion gathering in the fall, Their fall fest is Oct 4 &5th It would be kinda nice to have it at that time and members could go to that on Sunday. They are open most of the year as well.

There will be lots of activites in Oct.

We have a big 10 man tent with an open sky view , nice on dry nights lol, but can be covered for the heavy dews in the morning.

We would have no problem campers stayin the whole week to get some site seeing done, even a run down to Branson would be cool too. You got Truman Lake that has some great places to visit, whole bunch of stuff.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2008
2:51 AM

Post #4850179

LOL. October would probably be a great time to have the RU. The heat is usually gone by then.

Lora, if you want to dumpster dive then you have to be here a whole week to see all the places. lol.

EvaMae came by today and got some of her stuff. She arrived at PG just after I got home so I ran back there to see her. Gave her her stuff and she wanted to see my house and my grandma's so I brought her over here and there as well. I saw her around 5:30 pm and we just left my grandma's 15 minutes ago. LOL.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2008
4:21 AM

Post #4850765

I wasn't up to something earlier in the day so I didn't get to the banquet. The visit with Pepper and her family was even better tho. I was so welcomed and made to feel at home. Wonderful supper, Pepper's Mom. Thank you so much. I just got home, locked up the birds and took my meds. The 3 dogs are out for a potty break. Penny was the only one inside anyway. Now it is time for either cold or hot packs and see if I can get some pain relief for this arm. I took the only pain meds I feel are safe at this point so maybe they will help too. I think I could safely increase a couple of them safely but will consult my doctor before I'd do it. I'm not into overdoseing. Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow and be able to get some planting done. I'm so naturally hyperactive that it seems I get so little done in a day.

Linda, I am serious about you ahaving the RU next fall if you want to do that. There is so much peperatiion planning to get done before hand but once is it full swing it is worth the effort.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2008
9:54 AM

Post #4851076

Leaflady,

Did you got the box of magazines?

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2008
10:53 AM

Post #4851149

She got them. :~)
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2008
12:09 PM

Post #4851340

Good mornin all , Anna and Pepper you both were up early tis mornin

leaflady you take good care of yourself and get to recovery, theres is lots to do but your health is more important, so try not to overdo.

I would like to do the RU , but I'm always up to better plans and ideas. So put me down for one that would have one and then well see how it goes for others.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2008
1:29 PM

Post #4851622

Thanks, Pepper23...

I has to get up early cause of my hip hurt... It was so cold this early... And I did upload the pics from PG... Still more pics...

leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2008
2:29 PM

Post #4851896

Linda, I would love to come to your home for the next RU. I have been thinking, a very dangerous activity for me, lol, and how about if once we decide when and where it will be I just box up all the plates, silverware, drinking glasses, etc. and get them to the hostess before hand so something like last Sat. won't happen again. But that would only work if everyone was in agreement to 'go green' and wash plates, etc. I was going to bring them all home and wash and sterilize them then box them back up for the next RU. I still have them all. If no one is interested in doing that I can take them back to the store and get a refund. I just feel as tho we have to do our share to preserve this earth for the future generations whenever we possibly can. I felt so badly about leaving Amanda and her family scrambling to get all the items together at the last minute.

Rusty, I can relate to the joint pain keeping you awake. I know the so called experts declare you can sleep better in a cool room but obviously they have never had to battle arthritis, fibromyalgia, etc. Heat is our friend, not cold. I keep my house in the mid to upper 70s in the winter, 80 or so in the summer, and my bedroom is often in the 80s at night year around just for me to be able to sleep. Heavy blankets my help keep me warmer but the weight of them makes moving hard so that wakes me up. I just need for the room to be warm.

I went to Holly's to drink my first dose of the elderberry juice in some fruit juice. Took the Epipen with me. She said they need to get one for Kyle because he is allergic to bee &/or wasp stings. I really haven't practiced with the one practice one they gave me because I didn't feel I had the strength to use it. Now my arm is stronger so I'll practice and get use to using it. I'll have family members learn too as well as maybe a person or 2 at work. I know that sounds so extreme. I see the doctor for a followup at 8 in the morning. I'm going to see about either increasing one of the muscle relaxers or changing to another one to see if it works better for me. I've been on the one for about 4 or 5 years.

The dew is heavy this morning. I see Holly mowed off a daylily that was in the line of danger so I need to move it and keep at least a good big start of it. It's one I think I remember liking a lot.

Pepper has done an amazing job with that little yard of theirs. She is to be commended on her planning and work. I got the plants from the RU that were saved for me. Her grandmother offered me more but then mentioned she is making up baskets for someone so I told her to keep them and just send me any left overs she may have. I have a lot to get done here already. Still need to dig out the canna and EEs to see if any of them survived the winter for me. Millions of henbit plants to pull or just break of so you can see what is buried underneath it all. I like Gill Over the Ground since it stays lower.

Must get this old body moving. Hyperactive nature demands it.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2008
12:04 AM

Post #4854235

Hi all,

Here's a link to Roundup pics.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/837629/

Enjoy!

Betty or "GB"

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2008
12:12 AM

Post #4854268

I've been taking my girls tent camping for years. We have a couple of tents & all the equipment; including stove, lantern, etc... Fall RU in October outdoors sounds good. Nicole will be away @ college, so don't know that she can make it though. We'll just have to see what's going on then.
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2008
1:22 PM

Post #4856574

Had to shut down PC with storms last night.

leaflady , It all worked out good with the plates and all, the only thing was, you were missed .

I got a bunch of supplies for the RU,( I pick up things now and then for cookouts on our trails) so if you can go ahead and take those back and spend monies on plants : )

Just a few ?. How many RU have you had here in the Midwest? Who usually host them? Who started them ?

greenbrain, I love camping out in the rough sticks, tents and all. We always did that with our kids to when we went on float trips, loved it.

Those kinds of memories you never forget. Last fall we slept in tipis and our little granddaughters stayed with us while the babies stayed with their mommy and daddy in the other tipi. They still talk about it and they were 4&5 years old.

When we were kids we didn't have monies (poor) to buy tents but we had fun camping (rich). I remember both my sister and I sleeping in the truck of the car and looking up at the stars.

When we moved to the sticks we got us a big ol Army tent , two big room, bigger then some of the homes we had , lol.

We camped in the winter time, we had a blast. Most the time was spent next to the firepit tho and hot coffee : ) , and talking of our plans for our new homestead adventures. And Oh Boy did it get adventurest :-)

This message was edited Apr 24, 2008 7:32 AM

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2008
1:30 PM

Post #4856604

That'll be good fun camping...

This message was edited Apr 24, 2008 8:30 AM
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2008
7:24 PM

Post #4858477

I'm not a camper, personally, but I do admire those with the hardiness and desire to do it. I need a nice warm soft bed for my body. Kris(DD)& her children like to camp out tho. I really don't know about the rest of the children and their preferences.

The first MO RU I remember was in Columbia, MO about 3 or 4 years ago. More out of staters than MOers if I remember correctly. They were there to cheer us on and lend support and advice on them. We had a wonderful time. I got my OK Purple Peach(?)tree from Tazzy in OK that year as well as lots of other goodies. This group likes to do a fall and spring RU so more of us have a chance of getting to one or the other if not both.

I drove home from church in the worst part of the storm last night. The winds were so high that the rain couldn't even drop into the rain guage so it says we only got about 1/3 inch. I know we got way over an inch from the amount in empty before the rain buckets, etc. It's so nice outside now tho that I have the living room window and front door open to let in fresh air. I may even take the plastic off the south window in my bedroom and let it air out this afternoon.

I had a check up with my doctor this morning. He made note of my unusual and near fatal reaction and cautioned me to real all oral and topical care product labels carefully from now on. Lidocaine is used in so many products that we don't even think of. Like Bacitracin. I almost used some this morning, in fact had a few drops sprayed on me when I realized I had better wash it off immediately and read the label for what was the itch/pain relief ingredient. Sure enough, 2.9% lidocaine. Tossed that bottle. Will have to even watch mouthwashes.

I stopped by my old employer's for lunch after the doctor visit. I had way too much to eat for one meal, but breakfast had been a can of protein drink and it was nearly noon. Nice salad bar & cheese burger on ww bread. Water & coffee to drink, I noticed on the doctor's scales I have some winter fat to get rid of. But today I'm mostly resting.

Off to do more threads then rest for a while. GOD bless and keep each of you.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America