Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Plant Swap for RU

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Ok, I went ahead and made a thread cause I know some of you will want to know what is being brought ahead of time. The swap is a great way to foist seeds and plants you absolutely don't want and if no one wants them then you sneak them into their vehicles. LOL

Anything and everything is welcome. All we do is bring plants, put them together and grab what we want pretty much. A big free for all. Ok, maybe I over simplified but you get what I'm saying. :~)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

You put it perfectly, Pepper. There always seems to be more than enough to go around.

It will be really early for plant trading unless GOD blesses us with an early spring. But I may be able to dig a few starts of unnamed daylilies, some perennial sweet peas and hollyhocks if they are up yet, lots of unnamed color unknown Rose of Sharons and maybe some peony starts if the soil is soft enough to dig that deeply, etc. Otherwise it will be mostly seeds and starts that people have started over the winter season.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I bring some vegtables and flowers seeds never been open...

I can't wait to see them. :~)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Plants must multiply while noon meal is being served. Everybody takes more home than they bring, how can this be possible?

I am starting tons of perennials this year. I will bring a good assortment. They will be in 4" pots. I might have something you don't have.

Bernie

(Cathy), MO

Not sure what I'm bringing yet, but I have joined several coops and will have some extras left over from them.

I am joining that one co-op if she is able to get the plants I want. lol. I will make sure to have a few left over from that also.

I will have some seeds from a swap and will hopefully have some free plants from work. Then there will be plants that my grandma will make you take home with you cause the last place she wants it is in her yard cause it is over taking it. LOL. Plants over take her yard and contain themselves in mine. Go figure. :~)

(Cathy), MO

If they come in time, I'll have a few plumeria cuttings, a few tall phlox, maybe some calla and a few brugs. Not sure of anything else yet

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I would love to have some brug starts if they are anything but pure white. That is the one I already have.

I won't know what I will bring until I know how thawed & digable the soil is. Others can tell you that I am usually very generous with my peony and spiderwort starts. I'll run out of the peonies one of these years so I may have to start making the starts I give away smaller. I'll also have lots of comfrey starts I think. And maybe elderberry starts.

Holden, MO(Zone 5b)

good mornin

No stupid questions here on DG right????? Well this might be the first, What is a brug? I hear this alot in DG. I just do veggies and all these new flower names , well it gets over whelming, but I'm hooked. Now if I only find out what a brug is I will be good for the day and the next : )

ths, everyone have a great week

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Linda---, Here you go read all about it;
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/brugsetc/all/
Bernie

Holden, MO(Zone 5b)

Thank you Bernie , ahhh I have seen that plant and what a beauty it is, no wonder many want to grow it.

thanks for the link : )

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Linda, unless you have a green house or very high ceilings in your home you will have to raise them as annuals. It is probably best to start seeds about now to get nice size plants that will bloom well next fall.

Are you familiar with the kissing cousin of the brugs? If you live on a farm you probably do. It is known as Jimson Weed to most farmers. They are technically a datura and there are many cultivars of them. 2 that I know of are wild, considered very noxious weeds by most, and loved by others for their oh so fragrant blooms in the evening. I always let at least 3 grow to small tree size in the bird yard for shade for the birds and the evening fragrance. I do have to watch the population or they would take over the place. The seeds are sometimes used by drug addicts and were used in ceremonies by the American Indians because they are hallucinigenic. It doesn't take very many seeds to be a lethal dose.

Holden, MO(Zone 5b)

Thank you leaflady ,I'm out in the country and yes have seen that Jimson Weed. Interesting info

I was givin seeds of Datura tatula so I think I'll start some in the winter sowing containes.

If you have a picture of the one you grew I would love to see it. Can't wait tell I get some growing : )

thanks again

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I don't think I have any pictures of my white brug. I have a digital camera but it is mostly a waste of money because I don't know how to do anything with it but take the pictures. I use to know how to load them onto my computer & print them out once they were on there but have forgotten all that now from lack of use. Now I just use one of those disposible 35 mm camera and pray for good pictures.

Holden, MO(Zone 5b)

Oh no leaflady, gotta get your digi camera workin again, lol. if you got the CD downloaded, just plug your camera in the cord thingy and download your pics, easy, well I say that but I forgot a few things on my digi camera too, gotta go back into the book it came with. : /

And on my goodness I still have 35 mm disposibles that I have not developed yet, some many years old, and I better get to doing that to.

most when our kids were little, i'm a grandmother now,lol. They should be fun to look at tho.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I would like some genuine Bethlehem Star starts. I have something that may be them but I don't know for sure. So if I can get some for real starts I can label them and hopefully get a lot of them going. I would also like Obedient Plants. As you can see I want things some folks consider invasive. That is so they will keep coming back and I won't have to keep replanting some areas.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Now that spring is just around the corner, I will start planning what I can bring...

any interest in iris? I have a few of my Grandmothers' Iris that I can bring. The iris I bought the last couple of years, did not make new ones yet, but GM's iris are doing great.... I also have some house plants that look great on a patio in the summer ... I keep them inside til last frost then out they go til it gets cold again... spider plant, different varieties of wandering jew, snake plant (motherinlaws tongue), 2 agave pups, christmas/easter cactus, etc

I will have to look around and add to this list...

I might be able to sqeeze in one more iris here. lol

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

NP,Pepper, got you down for iris... you know that means that you have to take some cuttings off my hands from the house plant dept, don't you? LOL (with a wicked laugh) ....;>)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Starr, if you have any varigated wandering jews I would like some. I have more than plenty of the lighter green with white ribs but would like some of the purple/green ones. I wish I could do well with the holiday cactus. Jack and I both loved them.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

yes, I have those, too. I have you down for both, Eva Mae... Thanks!!

The last thing I need is more houseplants. Only a few have survived over the years. LOL.

But I will take those irises. I have lots of little iris gardens.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

there is always room for more Iris... I love them, too...

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Starr, I have the yellow iris and the purple iris you gave me a few years ago when we had the first RU in Sedalia. Hopefully they will get to bloom this spring.

Does anyone want elderberry starts? I think I can get several if there is any interest. And how about mimosa sprouts? I may be able to get some out that were small last year if the root system hasn't grown too much over the winter. Hundreds will sprout this summer. I'm eager to hear from those who took the ones from the last RU. I want to know if they made the transplant ok. If not, I'll have a bountiful supply for replacements or maybe just gather seed pods for others to start their own.

I may have a few blackberry spouts to share if anyone wants them. These are thorny plants but the berries are wonderful. The canes are pretty upright. I tie a lot of them to the cattle panels I have behind them.

Time to start getting giveaways potted as the ground thaws enough to permit.

Holden, MO(Zone 5b)

OH my Goodness leaflady , just today I was looking up elderberry, I would love a start of that, oh and mimosa sprouts too : ) . Thanks I would be very interested .

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Ok. Linda, the elderberries have fairly shallow root systems so they shouldn't be a problem even if the soil is still pretty hard(frozen). I'll do my best on the mimosas. They have taproots to China.

Holden, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks leaflady
don't over do digging those tap roots : ( . I'm very excited about the elderberries : )

I think if anyone want's any , I'll bring some Ajuga, starts from many years ago from my grandmothers home.The plant has spread nicely

I don't know the name but it has bronzey foliage with spikes of blue flowers in the spring, I like it for a ground cover and how quickly it covers.

I took some last year to a farmers market, my first farmers market ever and a lady told me it was the old fashion kind. I didn't do very good as a sales person , I gave it away , lol. I need to keep my day job : /

heres a list of things i could dig up

Ajuga
horseradish
horehound varigated
hyssop
rue
tansy
yarrow
daylily, just the common orange ones
maybe some comfrey
spearmint
garlic
chamomile

I have a lot of buckweat seed to share
I should be having a lot of ws stuff ready to transplant so will bring as well

I could dig up some Autumn Olive, this is a very fast growing tree/bush
fragrant little flowers. It can be evasive . I made jelly out of the berries.
great tree for wildlife, let me know if you want any small trees.

I'm bringing my dh and his old truck, well I could bring my old van but I like his old little truck better. We'll load it up and tootle on down the road with the windows open : )

Its going to get really warm tomorrow, in the 70* WOW And Yah!!!!!

Belle Plaine, KS

leaflady, I want to encourage you to use your camera & load the pic's. My sister sent me her dig. Kodak. The book & the software confused me endlessly. I finally just hooked it up with the USB cable & it told me what to do. Try it. I'm sure you've seen my pic's, I've posted in several forums. I hope you have as much fun as I have had. Good Luck☺☺☺
Lora☺

I will be bringing tulips to give away if anyone wants them. I have 2 big trays for everyone to sort thru so far. I might end up with more as we get closer. I will have other stuff also.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Linda, I would like some hyssop. I lost mine a couple winters ago. If you have lots of ajuga I'd like some of them. Thank you.

I'm still wanting Obedient plants.

Elderberries will be dug this week. I'm sure I can get some mimosa starts. I have lots of mimosa seeds too. I'll have hollyhock and perennial sweet pea starts too. No promise in regards to color of either of these. I may have some Clove Shrub starts too if I can get to them and get them out.

Must get moving. GOD bless and keep each of you.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Linda, your elderberry starts are in a pot of dirt.

I'm doing thorny large blackberry spring maintenace today and have some starts if someone wants them. Let me know soon so I know if I need to put them in a pot or back in the ground. I've had to move several back into the alloted row already. Lost a lot of plants to the late freeze last spring when they were in full bloom. All of the canes on some plants were of bearing age and now they are dead. Some canes are trying to grow and bear this year when they are 3 years old. Blackberries bear on 2nd year canes. These plants originally came from a UPick patch that an aquantance owned. He gave us 3 doz plants nearly 20 years ago. The berries are large and sweet when ripe. They ripen over about a 2 week period. Even little 4 year old Skyler has been willing to put up with the thorns to get these blackberries for the past 2 years.

I also have chives and garlics to share. Both are topsetting and I didn't get all the bulblets removed last fall so I have dozens of both in clumps. The chives have white blooms(I would like to have some of the purple). The garlic is your common grocery store white and purple skin ones that I have been raising for a few years. They originated in CA and took a few years to aclimate to our climate and soil. These are doing well now. I have more than I will get used so I'm willing to share.

Does anyone have Lily of the Valley to share?

GOD bless and keep each of you.

This message was edited Apr 7, 2008 4:58 PM

Belle Plaine, KS

Does anyone have blueberry starts? I would love a couple of bushes. We can bring some tart cherry starts, I think.
Lora☺

I wish I had starts of the blueberries for you but I just bought some a few weeks ago and I will be putting them in the ground as soon as the tulips are done blooming. So I still have beginning plants. :~)

Holden, MO(Zone 5b)

Thank you leaflady . I will also bring those that you asked for.

Looks like you had a day of gardening ^_^ . I had a day of Taxes : (.

that being over I'm ready to get back to planting ^_^

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I think we are coming. If I do, I have lots of Lily of the Valley. We are going to add onto the house & a big bed has to go!
Bernie

Hope you are able to make it!

Holden, MO(Zone 5b)

Leaflady , I picked up a container of purple/lavender ajuga it is so pretty. I want to share some of that with you as well as my grandmothers bronze leaf ajuga, I'll bring a lot to share with others as well.

This lavender ajuga is so pretty that I think I'll see about buying some more of it to share at the RU.

Belle Plaine, KS

Would anyone like some opuntia cactus? We have quite a bit of it. It grows and spreads slowly. I would like to get the bed cleaned out and put down some lava rock to keep the weeds out. But giving it away would sure help. It has a very nice yellow bloom. I'll get some pic's if you want to see it.

Lora☺

Holden, MO(Zone 5b)

Yes Lora , I liked to see some pics of your cactus. Do you have any problems with pets getting into it? Well i would think if they did it would be the first and last time , ouch!!!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.