Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: A Bonus of Blossoms from your February Fruit Tree Pruning: Excellent article

Communities > Forums > Article: A Bonus of Blossoms from your February Fruit Tree Pruning
bookmark
Forum: Article: A Bonus of Blossoms from your February Fruit Tree PruningReplies: 9, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2008
5:32 AM

Post #4553722

Glad you reminded me, this is so much fun to do and the results are so pretty. Thanks for sharing.
Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2008
3:28 PM

Post #4555058

Thanks, timely info! I have tried that, but didn't know
about details like the 2 wks in basement.
Fidtsy
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2008
5:11 PM

Post #4555521

You can take a lot of cuttings from shrubs like forsythia and just stick them in a jar inside, and they'll probably blossom. But with other varieties it may take a longer time, so I think it's a good idea to hold them someplace else like the basement while the buds start to develop and only put them out for display when they're about ready to bloom. In a heated house, with dry air, the buds might dry up and die.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 19, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #4557447

Speaking of forsythia, it's definitely time to prune them - thanks for the reminder! Lovely idea, Lois, and perfect timing. Thanks you!

x, Carrie
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #4557665

The damnrabbits beat me to my forsysthia!

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2014
4:37 AM

Post #9752453

I do this with magnolia branches. They are like pussy willows that turn into blossoms.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2014
6:43 AM

Post #9752526

Rosemary, I've never HEARD of doing it magnolias! What a great idea!

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2014
7:38 PM

Post #9753098

Well, Carrie, you have to accept the fact that some leaves sprout too. I have done this with both stellata and saucer magnolias but I am more partial to the blousy pink blossom that results from the saucer magnolias. And I fill a pretty large, tall glass vase that doubles as the umbrella holder, though it would work on a smaller scale.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2014
8:10 AM

Post #9753345

Sounds lovely. Leaves are better than sticks, I say! Especially in February.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2014
4:40 PM

Post #9753679

That's how I look at it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: A Bonus of Blossoms from your February Fruit Tree Pruning Threads you might be interested in:

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America