Photo by Melody

Article: The tête-à-tête daffodil - enjoy it twice, once in a pot and forever in your garden!: Well done

Communities > Forums > Article: The tête-à-tête daffodil - enjoy it twice, once in a pot and forever in your garden!
bookmark
Forum: Article: The tête-à-tête daffodil - enjoy it twice, once in a pot and forever in your garden!Replies: 10, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2008
5:51 AM

Post #4553844

Thank you carrie. I didn't realize this was one of the forcing varieties, so I shall add it to my list!! I dying to get my DGD over here to see the hyacinths she helped me "plant" for forcing, they are starting to throw shoots. Hopefully this weekend we can get together and that will be fun!
Thanks for sharing the information!
Daffodils always make me smile. They are just so cheery!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 18, 2008
2:31 PM

Post #4554766

My, you're up early/late! Yes, but please notice I only give instructions on REplanting after someone else has forced them. (Smile.) I believe you'll have to wait until the fall for instructions on forcing your own bulbs, but then again, I could be wrong. I guess you'll have to wait and see! But yes, tete-a-tetes are the most commonly forced daffodil.

I went to my dad's nursing home yesterday and got his, but I didn't see any other ones, :>( I was really hoping to score!

x, Carrie
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2008
2:41 PM

Post #4554810

I have some regular daffodil-daffodils I'm forcing right now. I had half a bag tucked that I missed on the major outside plant, so I figured I'd try it. They seem to be doing quite well. And the giant hyacinths are coming on strong. I also have some of the small Japanese type iris potted, so far they aren't doing anything, so we'll see. Most of these were "left-overs" from the outside plantings and I was bored. What can I say? LOL

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 18, 2008
2:50 PM

Post #4554849

You go, girl!
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2008
12:09 AM

Post #4557296

Gee . . . when I think of the bulbs I have tossed in the past . . . sigh . . . Thanks for enlightening me :-)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 19, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #4557302

Aha! If I can save just one. . .
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2008
12:15 AM

Post #4557323

You see - there are daffodils that owe their lives to you, Carrie :-)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 19, 2008
12:22 AM

Post #4557364

Not yet . . .. after I get my father's planted, though! I keep hoping I'll find one of those 75% off sales that other people find, but I think in MA there night be consumer protection laws that mean HD gets to send back dead plants and so forth. Which is like sending back a prom dress after you've worn it, to me.

author's note: it is still far wiser to buy your tete-a-tete bulbs in the fall by the bushel and plant them then!/i>
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2008
4:46 AM

Post #4558447

Another interesting, well-written article, Carrie. There is a pot of tete-a-tetes blooming on our kitchen table as I write this. They're my variety of choice for forcing. Also have some hyacinths and crocus blooming in the hall. Mice got into four other pots of bulbs I was forcing and ate most of them. Rats! :-)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 19, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #4559287

Er, MICE, Larry! Thank you, and don't forget to plant them after you force them!
x, Carrie
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2008
9:41 PM

Post #4561098

Thanks for catching my lame attempt at humor, Carrie :-) I promise to plant them!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The tête-à-tête daffodil - enjoy it twice, once in a pot and forever in your garden! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good Article Annepaola 1 Mar 3, 2008 3:19 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America