-
AuthorContent
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2008
9:27 AM

Post #4554180

Most of my house is "eggshell". That very neutral color people paint when they want to sell their house to someone like my husband, lol. He's a color-phobe. I had to wait til he was in Japan to paint my boring kitchen bright red! Since he's not going back to Japan anytime in the near future, he's going to have a say in the color selection.

My problem is I have a living room and dining room that are open to each other, the entrance is on an angle and I could easily paint each room a very different color and I wouldn't have to switch in the middle of the room. I'm thinking of a dark khaki/olive greeny color in the living room. I have a horrid burgundy porcelain fireplace (eventually will be stone-tiled) in there and a taupe sofa sectional. Other than that...

Dining room has built in corner china cabinets. Both rooms have original wood floors and coved ceilings. What color could I paint my dining room to make it really POP?
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2008
9:36 AM

Post #4554185

This is the living room. I need a bigger rug, but I'm not getting one til I figure out how I'm going to paint...also end tables and a cocktail/coffee table.

Thumbnail by MsKatt
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2008
9:36 AM

Post #4554186

Another one.

Thumbnail by MsKatt

MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2008
9:37 AM

Post #4554187

Another. I'm not crazy about the window treatments, either.

Thumbnail by MsKatt

MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2008
9:39 AM

Post #4554189

I apologize in advance for the blurry pix. I couldn't take an in-focus picture yesterday to save my life...but this gives you and idea of what I'm talking about, lol.

Thumbnail by MsKatt

MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2008
9:40 AM

Post #4554190

Another view. Again, sorry for the crappy pix.

Thumbnail by MsKatt

MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2008
9:41 AM

Post #4554191

This is the transition wall...

Thumbnail by MsKatt

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2008
2:41 AM

Post #4598701

Are you keeping the dining room set? Could you pull a color from the seat cushion? If you do green in the LR then you can do a golden yellow or brick red. If your hubby is real adverse to color you can just do 1 feature wall.
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2008
3:07 AM

Post #4598878

Yes, I'm keeping the set but the seats need to be redone. Thanks for the ideas...I was leaning toward brick red.
2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2008
7:32 AM

Post #4599605

I think you should start with the rug and pick a color from that to paint the walls. Should go with your furniture also but start with the rug. It looks like you could go with a rug that is twice or even three times the size of your existing one. Maybe you could use another similar rug under the dining room table. Also, a soft gold color on the walls with similar panels for the windows. The way you have your house now is very nice but I understand how we want to change everything occasionally. I'm in the mood to do my house now. My trouble is, I can't change my living room around very much because of the TV. It has to stay on the wall where the sat. dish wiring comes in. Oh, well. I'll just paint. Laverne

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2008
4:09 PM

Post #4600773

2vernes, isn't it a shame when we have to decorate around the TV. I'd like to layout my family room completely different but the tv is just messing the whole thing up.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2008
8:41 PM

Post #4671396

You don't have to leave your tv where it is just because that's where the wiring comes in. You simply add wiring to it and run it along the baseboard to wherever you want the tv. My DH has done this with tv's and telephones several times. There's even a product on the market that conceals the wire, kind of like a hollow quarter round that forms a channel.

MsKatt, when I have more time, I have an easy and inexpensive solution to improve your window treatments. I had posted this some time back and then lost the post.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2008
3:18 AM

Post #4673053

You actually have to have some $ and time to run wire(both of which we don't have right now) and of course if you have a hubby that is not a great handy man...well...you need to work with what you have. :)
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2008
2:36 PM

Post #4840631

2vernes is right, you need a bigger rug. Your couch is very neutral, so you can go with really any color you like. If you are going to get a new rug, pick out your rug first, pick your wall paint color from the rug, then accesorize with curtains and pillows.
cabrlamo
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2008
11:20 PM

Post #5073652

I just painted my living room a golden yellow color. The accents are white, black and red. The gold would make the wood floors look wonderful. I would also consider moving the valances of the curtains up closer to the ceiling on the two smaller side windows. This will add visual height to the room. I would favor solid color curtains, but that is me :) I will use accent and texture in pillows and miscellaneous items.

I have attached a picture of the room just after the flooring was put in. You can see the curtains and the chaise and chairs. (sorry for the mess)

I think any color will be fine. Just remember to use small touches of the previous room's color in the adjoining rooms. For example your kitchen is red, so bring in a red pillow into the family room. My living room is a golden yellow and my adjoining room is going to be a khaki/green color. My accent pillows in the front room will be the khaki and the (hopefully) pool table will have a red top.

This message was edited Jun 8, 2008 7:20 PM

Thumbnail by cabrlamo

cabrlamo
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2008
11:23 PM

Post #5073664

Here is my antique sofa reupholstered and ready to place in the living room.

Thumbnail by cabrlamo

Joy222
Columbia, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2008
8:35 PM

Post #5178768

Your floors are beautiful! I think a soft gold would blend the warmth of walls and floors and compliment the red in the kitchen but a hue that blends with the sofa and red in the kitchen. That sofa looks totally comfortable and sizable for a whole family. Is the inset where the large end windows are shallow enough that you could hang drapes at the ends on the outside of the inset with sheers in the center on the outside of the inset...I think it could balance the size of the sofa and with the other windows do something coordinating but extend the rods on the sides of the window to the walls, maybe as much as a foot on each side. It will let in more light, brighten the floors so you can show them off, make your windows seem larger and create a feeling of coziness.

A valance could possibly be added on the outside at the top of the inset to the ceiling that would create more heigth and bring the other curtains (or valances) at the coordinating windows to the ceiling as well.

Is there another place the piano would go to give the dining room more room and maybe move the buffet and mirror (turning the mirror vertical to give it more heigth, again) where it is?

I'm in the midst of redecorating too and it seems never ending, sometimes, but is also a
creative outlet. Have fun!
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #5226625

Here are my thoughts, in no particular order! :-) Plus a few about things that don't pertain to color alone...

1. I like the idea of a goldish color to bring out the gold in your gorgeous floors! I also have a gold color I use. I'll try to look up the number for you. I've had about a dozen people come to my house and ask to use the same color!

2. Why not remove the little buffet that is "taking away" from your wonderful corner cupboard? (Do I see a matching one in the other corner!?? Fab!!) Wall-to-wall furniture is like a store! Ever wandered through a furn store and finally saw something you overlooked the first time because there was so much stuff there? Same idea. *smile*

3. Why is your chandelier so high? (Maybe it just looks that way from the pic's angle?)

4. When you can afford a large rug, buy something that blends with the small one and use the small one in your dining room?

5. Move the piano somewhere else. (Is it in the dining room??) In your daughter's room? I had one almost exactly like it when my daughter was taking lessons, and finally moved it into her room. She LOVED it there and could arrange her dolls on the top!

6. If your DH hates color, don't have both the kitchen and the other areas red! He will hate it, and he might not be able to stand the "vibes" that a red room puts off! :-) You want to get him into "the mood" --not "THAT" mood! :-) Is the kit still red? A mustardy, grayed-down yellow would be a good conpanion for it, if so.
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2008
6:51 AM

Post #5228033

Joy222 wrote:
Quoting:Your floors are beautiful!

Thank you! That was a HUGE factor in us buying this house.
Quoting:Is the inset where the large end windows are shallow enough that you could hang drapes at the ends on the outside of the inset with sheers in the center on the outside of the inset...I think it could balance the size of the sofa and with the other windows do something coordinating but extend the rods on the sides of the window to the walls, maybe as much as a foot on each side.

Possibly. I'm so undecided. I'm seriously considering blinds and valances. I really hate the drapes in this room.

Quoting:Is there another place the piano would go to give the dining room more room and maybe move the buffet and mirror (turning the mirror vertical to give it more heigth, again) where it is?

Another thing we are trying to figure out. You can't tell from the picture but there is about 7 feet behind the short end of the sectional that is just wasted space. I would love to move the piano there (provided it doesn't look stupid).
*I think* that we've settled on a color scheme of chocolate brown, light blue and the taupe in the sofa. The rug is going to migrate to the dining room.

MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2008
7:00 AM

Post #5228041

ConnieW wrote:

Quoting:2. Why not remove the little buffet that is "taking away" from your wonderful corner cupboard? (Do I see a matching one in the other corner!?? Fab!!) Wall-to-wall furniture is like a store! Ever wandered through a furn store and finally saw something you overlooked the first time because there was so much stuff there? Same idea. *smile*

You're preaching to the choir, sister. :) My dining room is claustrophobic. I'm trying to convince my DH that the piano needs to be moved and then move the buffet to close to where the piano is. I can't get rid of it, it was a gift from my husband's grandmother (who recently passed).

Quoting:3. Why is your chandelier so high? (Maybe it just looks that way from the pic's angle?)

It's not high at all, definitely a weird angle. :)

Quoting:4. When you can afford a large rug, buy something that blends with the small one and use the small one in your dining room?

Already the plan.

Quoting:5. Move the piano somewhere else. (Is it in the dining room??) In your daughter's room? I had one almost exactly like it when my daughter was taking lessons, and finally moved it into her room. She LOVED it there and could arrange her dolls on the top!

I'm hoping to move it to the living room (until the attached garage is remodeled into a family/bonus room). My daughter loves to play for family and visitors, she plays during parties and family gatherings, so putting it in her room isn't really an option.

Quoting:6. If your DH hates color, don't have both the kitchen and the other areas red! He will hate it, and he might not be able to stand the "vibes" that a red room puts off! :-) You want to get him into "the mood" --not "THAT" mood! :-) Is the kit still red? A mustardy, grayed-down yellow would be a good conpanion for it, if so.

I don't know so much that he hates it...more like he's afraid of it, lol. I am thinking of painting the kitchen an olive green (white cabinets, same wooden floors). You can't even see the kitchen from the dining room or living room.
We've been traveling and working outside so much the only thing we've managed to get done is to repair the plaster in the living and dining rooms.
J2222
Southern California, CA

September 23, 2010
10:37 AM

Post #8116515

I have been reading through these older decorating threads. I was wondering if bivbiv could tell what the easy and inexpensive solution to the window treatment might be? bivbiv, your decor skills are fab!! Thanks!

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 26, 2010
8:48 AM

Post #8121804

I don't recall why I didn't get back to this thread a couple of years ago; but, J2, here's what I would have done to change the window treatment.

First, I would remove the center draperies for a more up-to-date look; this would also let in more light. I may be wrong, but it looks like the draperies are partially covering the windows on each side. On the wide windows, I'd move those center draperies to the sides in order to fill in that whole recessed space, and I would have them come just to the edge of the windows instead of covering them. I would also eliminate the tie-backs.

Now, this could present a problem because this change also means a wider valance is needed. So this could only be done using the same valance if there's enough fabric to make the sides wider using one panel and using the other panel to add to the valance. If there's enough fabric left to widen the valance on the smaller window, then I'd uncover that window, too, bringing the drapery just to the edges of the window rather than covering it. If there's enough fabric to do this, then the only expenditure would be a longer curtain rod (unless that one's extendable). Also, if you don't sew, then you'd pay someone to add to the valance width.

If there's not enough fabric from those two panels to do this, then another solution would be finding a solid color that matches the darker color and having a new valance made; I wouldn't use the lighter color.

If nothing else, I'd at least remove those center draperies and not use tie-backs on the sides.

Someone mentioned hanging the draperies higher in order to make the ceiling appear higher. I don't think that would work here because of the molding; you wouldn't gain that much height. Also, the draperies would end up too short.

It would be interesting to see what Ms. Katt finally did to this room.
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2010
9:22 AM

Post #8121832

I haven't done much of anything with this room, we dealt with some family illnesses and a death and we are just now getting around to making some decorating changes. I do have different furniture and eliminated the center drapes. My furniture is burgundy, gold, tan and hunter green.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 26, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #8121855

So sorry to hear about the sadness in your family. Perhaps getting back to work on the room will be good therapy. I put off redecorating my own bedroom for a long time due to illness. I'd get started and then change things (not like me to do that) because I was totally uninspired. Now that I'm halfway back to normal, I'm at work on it again...slowly; and I find that it takes my mind off myself.

I'm glad you got rid of the center draperies. :)
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2010
10:13 AM

Post #8121905

Me, too, bivbiv. I hated those drapes.
J2222
Southern California, CA

September 26, 2010
11:27 AM

Post #8122010

bivbiv: Thanks so much for the reply. For this room, the way it was pictured, your idea of removing the center drapes and other fixes seems like a very nice relatively inexpensive solution. I am amazed always by the interesting way you view objects and rooms!

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 26, 2010
12:27 PM

Post #8122096

Actually, there were several good ideas here. I only addressed the curtain issue.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Decorating Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mexican theme, not for the faint of heart MollyMc 57 Jan 4, 2008 3:14 AM
Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!! nminmd 163 Jul 31, 2007 1:21 AM
Removing Wallpaper GrannyLois 30 Aug 18, 2009 11:32 PM
Bedroom re-do Terry 42 Aug 16, 2014 11:12 PM
Re-do on the bedroom. What a difference! Badseed 45 Jan 23, 2009 6:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America