Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Camellias: Winter Blooming Shrubs for Southern Gardens (Hardiness Zone to 7b): Camelia article

Communities > Forums > Article: Camellias: Winter Blooming Shrubs for Southern Gardens (Hardiness Zone to 7b)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Camellias: Winter Blooming Shrubs for Southern Gardens (Hardiness Zone to 7b)Replies: 0, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dixiebelle123
Wauchula, FL

February 18, 2008
11:36 AM

Post #4554262

What a great article and photos. I thought I would comment just briefly about the multi colored.
I am a professional propagator and have been investigating growing some camellias. The multi colored bush may have occurred by natural sporting or if it is quite old, it may have been grafted to acheive that result as this was in fashion in the 30's & 40's I am told. I have found this occurring fairly often in the old cultivars I have been scouting in landscapes that were established in the 1900's - 1950's (the cultivars I am seeking out), some seem random but others appear to be very old grafts, in no old graft was detectable as the trunk had grown so large, but the pattern of colors was very organized suggesting it was by design and not accident. Again, thoroughly enjoyed your article. Jane

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Camellias: Winter Blooming Shrubs for Southern Gardens (Hardiness Zone to 7b) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Albert and the Camellias Sharran 6 Feb 12, 2008 11:50 PM
The real Albert gloria125 2 Feb 12, 2008 11:41 PM
Camellia japonica bobwhite1 1 Feb 12, 2008 5:57 PM
close up bobwhite1 5 Feb 12, 2008 11:55 PM
Three camellias from the same shrub. gloria125 5 Feb 10, 2009 3:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America