Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: Cauli dilemma, they are purple.

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 5, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Awchid
Gisborne
New Zealand

February 19, 2008
3:57 AM

Post #4558212

Can someone please tell me why the caulis that should be nice and white and compact are a horrible green with the top purple and hairy.
Instead of compact they have burst open and are quite ugly, not at all appertising. They will definately end up in the compost heap this year.
I have had this happen before, but no one I asked about it new the answer. Usually my caulis are big white and yummy. Lesley.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

February 19, 2008
4:09 AM

Post #4558267

Has it been hotter than usual? When they burst open it's because the have shot past the poi nt of being nice and compact. I usually pull the leaves over the top and wrap them so the cauliflower blanches. The green and purple might be from too much sun. I have no idea about the hairy stuff.

katiebear
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2008
11:38 AM

Post #4558840

Sounds as if they've bloomed:)
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 19, 2008
1:39 PM

Post #4559100

All of the above. Cauliflower in a warm sunny climate ( I don't know the climate in your part of New Zealand) has to be tied up to prevent direct exposure to the sun. When exposed they tend to green and with with some cultivars get a purple tinge. Once the heads form they go bad very fast. Here, they must be picked within 3-4 days of first show, I normally tie my mine up when the first button the size of a coin appears and start cutting three days later when the heads are 6- 8 inches in diameter. Once the curds start to seperate and get ricey they are over the hill.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lcosden
Pawling, NY
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2008
4:58 PM

Post #4560056

Wow, good to know since that's one of the stuff I'm planting this year in my veggie garden..
Awchid
Gisborne
New Zealand

February 20, 2008
8:14 AM

Post #4563391

Thank you all for your input. I think you got it spot on farmerdill, too much sun and they have gone off badly. I think I must usually grow them when the weather is cooler. Our autumn is just starting but it's still pretty hot. Lesley

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America