Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: upland cress versus watercress?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 1, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Peckhaus
Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2008
1:59 PM

Post #4559179

What is a mild cress that I could grow in the garden to mix with salad greens?

My mother remembers upland cress fondly. When reading a description, it sounds similar to the peppery cousin, watercress. Is this correct? I'd like to grow something with a little less bite.

Thanks!
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 19, 2008
8:13 PM

Post #4560770

Not too similar. Upland cress was a favorite in the mid Atlantic area for Creasy Salet. A boiled green fixed much like turnip greens by available earlier in the year than other boiling greens, In my opinion, better flavor than turnip greens. Sown in July or August usually in corn fields, it was ready in march in Virginia. Grows low rosettes like dandelion but no bitterness. On suitable soil about as easy to grow as turnip or mustard. There is a darker green form frequently found in wild life mixtures ( we called it bull cress) that is bitter.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America