Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Weather: February Daily Weather #3, Spring is just around the corner!

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 184, Views: 1,216
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2008
11:04 AM

Post #4563452

From snow to freezes to signs of Spring! All are welcome to stop by often and post your weather!
We came fom here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/812007/

Joey Beautiful iris! Wow!
Kwanjin Pretty morning glory! Im glad youre feeling better. Hope you didnt have the stomach virus I had :P
Rann Love the nighttime snow pic!
Kiska Glad you arent getting those winds! We stayed cool most of the day yesterday. I enjoyed it. Our temps are still dropping this morning though. We usually get our coldest weather before dawn.
E_B Love your pics! Background! So glad the hawk is doing better!
Ric LOL! Rush Hour from Hades! So glad I moved from a major populated city to a small island. I dont miss those rush hours. I could barely see the bird! Theyre really are the best bug control! Thanks for the Spring pictures fruit trees - yuummmm!
Marsue Yes, they can be very loud little buggers! I pick them up to move them esp if they are in a danger zone (cats). Cant wait to see your Spring pics!
Pepper Brrrrr Stay warm! Cardinals are so pretty we have many here that enjoy the bird feeders.

Anyone staying up for the lunar eclipse?

41.0 F / 5 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 69%
Dew Point: 32 F / -0 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.27 in / 1024.9 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 15000 ft / 4572 m
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Mostly sunny. High 66. Northeast winds 5 mph shifting to the east in the afternoon.

Sunset on the marsh

Thumbnail by MySharona
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2008
12:08 PM

Post #4563561

Very cold out.

Currently: 9F Clear
Currently: -12C Clear
Wind: North at 18 MPH
Humidity: 56%
Dewpoint: -3F
Barometer: 30.24 inches and
Wind Chill: -10F
Wind: North at 28 KPH
Humidity: 56%
Dewpoint: -19C
Barometer: 1024 millibars and
Wind Chill: -23 C
Sunrise: 7:05 am
Sunset: 6:00 pm

Thumbnail by pepper23

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2008
12:42 PM

Post #4563630

Good Morning! Wow! Pepper! Stay warm! :-O At the moment we have 30 & very cloudy skies. We're supposed to get some snow today...an inch or 2. Greenbrier co. is to get 5".
At Dublin...
Cloudy: 30F
Feels like: 30F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 16
Humidity: 50%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:06 AM
Sunset: 6:07 PM

Marsue, Thanks. Sorry about the mix up. The bloom is from last year. I meant by "peeping" that the plant is imerging from the ground. I think I have a pic.
Deb, Thanks. It's one of my faves. But I love all Irises.
Ric, Hope you have a good commute! But it doesn't sound very pretty! :-O
E_B, Love the cold country look! Looks like a good day for a horse back ride. :D Glad that the hawk is doing well. How will you get him back into the "wild"? Will they supply a cage of some sort?

I am running a little late...so will be back this evening.

The answer to the trivia is..B
In the early part of the century, hurricanes were named for (unfavorable) politicians by Australian forecasters.

Have a Great Day! :D
Joey

Can you see it?

Thumbnail by music2keep

clerkie56
Iberia, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 20, 2008
2:25 PM

Post #4563912

Good morning everyone. It is 22 here this morning and we are having snow flurries. We have a chance of snow or ice tonight into tomarrow I vote for snow. The sun is bright this morning as it is snowing. I really enjoy all the photos it brightens up a dull day. I am also glad we don't have to fight traffic- we are busy here if you meet 10 cars as you go to town. I wouldn't trade it. Everyone stay happy and healthy.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2008
3:03 PM

Post #4564107

Thanks for making us a new thread, Sharon. Nice sunset on the marsh photo--I'd like to eat at that restaurant--I love outdoor eating places. :o))
Pepper: I love your redbird shots. I need to try to snap a few shots of our redbirds.
Joey: I see it!! Hooray!!
clerkie: it's cold where you are, too!

Sorry--I don't mean to be shouting--this is just the way that the NWS had the forecast up and it copied this way:

TODAY
MOSTLY CLOUDY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN IN THE AFTERNOON.
HIGHS IN THE MID 50S. WEST WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH IN THE MORNING...
BECOMING NORTHEAST 10 TO 15 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON. THE CHANCE OF
PRECIPITATION 20 PERCENT IN THE AFTERNOON.

TONIGHT
RAIN LIKELY IN THE EVENING...THEN OCCASIONAL RAIN
AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE MID 30S. NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO
15 MPH. THE CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 80 PERCENT.

Here is our sunrise this morning:

Thumbnail by marsue

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 20, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #4564506

Thanks, MySharona for new thread and gorgeous photo, too.
With temps above freezing and the ground frozen, the roads are ice rinks as the melting snow refreezes.
It's these "above freezing" days that will cause schools to close. Warmer weather is not a welcome change till much later in the year. The winds did kick in last night; once it's light out, will see what all the racket was.
38F Sunrise: 8:26 Sunset 5:54 Gain of 5m49s
Record Low on this day: -20 1974
Record High on this day: 46 1977
KG~when the weather forcast calls for the "Siberian front" moving in, it's a sure sign it's going to be colder than normal.
Joey~the new growth looks good.
Marsue, Deb and Sharon~~I'm really working at trying to understand how you can touch those frogs:)) Feel a shutter even now:))))
Long shadows on the sunny afternoon last week~~
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2008
5:01 PM

Post #4564573

Kiska: you crack me up! Those frogs aren't slimy--just cold-blooded. Now "roads as ice rinks" would make me shudder!!!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 20, 2008
7:26 PM

Post #4565057

Hey, guys! Your pics are amasing , so beautiful!
Here is warming up, after a couple of days freezing...it's been 51 at noon today, after only 35 two days ago!
Our snowdrops are popping out too, I took a few pics in the park yesterday.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 20, 2008
7:28 PM

Post #4565067

And a yellow one.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 20, 2008
7:33 PM

Post #4565091

We got 0.2 inches of rain this morning.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 10:51 AM PST on February 20, 2008
53 F / 12 C
Overcast
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 51 F / 11 C
Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h / 3.1 m/s from the South

Thumbnail by Kelli

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2008
12:14 AM

Post #4566078

Pepper: Nothing prettier than a cardinal on a snowy background!
E_B: Good news on Mr. Hawk.
Joey: I see it! :)
Adina: Love your little flowers peeping up from the snow.
Kiska: The tree frogs are so cute, tho. Really. And they're very small.

My sympathies to all of you who are snowed under - so to speak - that is, if you're getting cabin fever. Otherwise...Enjoy!!
Our high today was near 70F. Low tonight should be 40. Stuffs bloomin' all over town. :)
Definitely going to watch the eclipse tonight!!

Got a new "spitter" for my lil' shade pond today. I haven't finished the spring cleanup on the pond yet, but I still love to hear the water.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 21, 2008
12:20 AM

Post #4566097

Cute spitter! (I like anything with fish.) I think the tree frog was cute, too. (Sorry, Kiska) I used to live in an apartment near a creek and tree frogs would come up on my porch. They have some ability to change color to match the background. I had one get inside once and it turned beige to match the carpet.

Now it is windy.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 3:51 PM PST on February 20, 2008
56 F / 13 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 62%
Dew Point: 43 F / 6 C
Wind: 17 mph / 28 km/h / 7.7 m/s from the West
Wind Gust: 25 mph / 41 km/h / 11.3 m/s

kalanchoe "Fang"

Thumbnail by Kelli

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 21, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #4566426

Deb~ makes nice addition to your garden. Bet it does sound good.
Kelli~That is so pretty; changing color frogs on the porch does not sound good:)) Much less, indoors...Are those oranges? Lemons? gorgeous.
Adina~ how very pretty.
marsue~cold or slimy; I'll pass:)))
How about a couple of moose instead?
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2008
1:49 AM

Post #4566457

It's actually warmer tonight than it was this morning. Wind chill this morning was -9 most of the time.

Currently: 10F Partly Cloudy
Currently: -12C Partly Cloudy
Wind: Northeast at 14 MPH
Humidity: 66%
Dewpoint: 1F
Barometer: 30.30 inches and
Wind Chill: -5F
Wind: Northeast at 22 KPH
Humidity: 66%
Dewpoint: -17C
Barometer: 1026 millibars and
Wind Chill: -20 C
Sunrise: 7:03 am
Sunset: 6:02 pm

One of the roads at work.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 21, 2008
1:58 AM

Post #4566508

Kiska, those are oranges.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #4566585

George most of the West knows Siberia only from the discriptions given of the Gulags.
I'm sure it's quite lovely if one's 'vacationing' though...

Well how was the drive in...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #4566589

Kelli...I see them!

Joey...They offered a cage when the time comes but I told them he could just ride up front with me. (buckled in of course)

marsue...nice skies!

Deb...the pond is looking good. The "spring clean-up" talk ...not so good...for a poor frozen northerner like me. Quite teasing!

12 balmy degrees under clear skies and a nearly full moon tonight. High of 21 tomorrow with partly SUNNY skies.

Photo: Last weeks ice.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2008
2:14 AM

Post #4566590

And of course HE got here WAY after we did...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2008
2:19 AM

Post #4566620

LOL Ric! It's the same way down here. There are a certain number of trucks for certain areas and you can tell which is their favorite to plow cause it's none of mine. lol
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 21, 2008
4:02 AM

Post #4567071

E_B~very pretty;
Al~very snowy
pepper~very slippery
kelli~very orange oranges::)
Very nice day.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2008
11:02 AM

Post #4567646

Pepper Yikes Very cold! Stay warm!
Joey I see it! LOL!
Marsue The picture was taken at Barbara Jeans (yum). It was a little too cool to sit outside, but the views are wonderful. The bridge is the intracoastal the only way off and on the island. Love your sunrise picture!
Kiska Sounds like bad driving conditions. Hopefully youll get back to normal soon. Did you figure out what all that racket was?
Adina Love the snowy buds! Very pretty!
Deb Your spitter is too cute! LOL!
Kelli Ive never seen a Kalanchoe like that. Neat plant. I can smell your oranges all the way over here!
Kiska LOL! I like the moose! Thanks!
Pepper Those roads look really slick.
Ric Your roads look slick too! How was the drive in? Oh, now I see the sand/salt? truck! Isnt that the way it always goes?!
E_B LOL Mental image of the hawk strapped in the front seat! Be sure to take pictures of your new baby, what am I saying, of course youre going to take pictures of your newly adopted hawk! Cant wait to see the close ups! Lovely snow picture!

48.0 F / 8.9 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 44 F / 7 C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa (Steady)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 10000 ft / 3048 m

Today
Mostly cloudy. Slight chance of showers in the morning... then showers likely in the afternoon. High 69. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

Oooh Rain! Who stayed up for the full lunar eclipse? I saw only a portion, DH wasn't feeling well. Hopefully he isn't getting the virus - :P

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2008
11:03 AM

Post #4567647

5 (Wind Chill -5)
More stuff on the way tonight.
Looks like we get all of Winter in just a week! LOL!

Ric

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2008
12:07 PM

Post #4567759

'Mornin' All! We have a temp of 22 & Dyson Dark.
Ric! Your temp! :-O We got a good downpour of snow yesterday evening, but it didn't stay long. Very pretty, tho.
At Dublin...
Cloudy: 25F
Feels like: 19F
Barometer: 30.3 in
Dewpoint: 19
Humidity: 74%
Wind: 5 mph N
Sunrise: 7:05 AM
Sunset: 6:08 PM

And I guess that I'll be yelling, too...(sorry)
WINTRY MIX EXPECTED TONIGHT INTO FRIDAY... .AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL MOVE THROUGH THE GULF COAST STATES TONIGHT. AS IT DOES... MOISTURE ASSOCIATED WITH IT WILL STREAM INTO OUR AREA. A GENERAL TRANSITION OF SNOW AND SLEET... TO SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN... TO FREEZING RAIN AND RAIN IS EXPECTED OVER OUR REGION. AN INCH OR TWO OF A SNOW/SLEET MIXTURE IS EXPECTED ON AVERAGE... WITH FREEZING RAIN AMOUNTS MAINLY UNDER ONE QUARTER OF AN INCH. FREEZING RAIN AMOUNTS OF A QUARTER INCH OR MORE ARE POSSIBLE OVER THE NORTHERN MOUNTAINS OF NORTH CAROLINA NORTH ALONG THE CREST OF THE BLUE RIDGE TO JUST SOUTH OF ROANOKE VIRGINIA. THE WINTRY MIX IS EXPECTED TO CONCLUDE BY FRIDAY AFTERNOON WHEN TEMPERATURES WILL BE WARM ENOUGH FOR THE PRECIPITATION TO BE RAIN.

So I guess that we'll get the "yucky" stuff. :( Give me a bunch of snow Any Day!

Sharon, there would be no way for me to even see an eclipse! Glad that you got to see it, tho. I usually miss the good stuff! Neat Pic! :D
Ric, looks like your road cleaning crew are contractors (?)...The state (DOH) mostly does ours, so they need to stay on top of things...or there are complaints, which they hear about. One time, tho, they couldn't keep up & the state closed all roads...anyone found out on the roads were to get tickets! Now who is gonna issue a ticket if they had to stay home? LOL It was loads of fun!
E_B! LOL I can see it now! Feathers (wings) flapping while you're trying to drive! :D And didn't you say it was a 2 hour drive? Take about "side seat driving"! LOL
Kiska, Love the moose. Was that near your house? or were you trekking thru the woods? Really nice shot, tho. Love the shadow pic...you look so tall! :D That would make a good NG puzzle. :)
Kelli, Love your kalanchoe & glad to hear that you got some more rain to perk things up even more! :D Got any more hiking pics? I just love your hikes! and you make it very interesting. Are the oranges in your yard? Wow!
Deb, I love the "spitter" fish! Now, how cool is that! ?
Adina, You & Rann are gonna have some grogeous spring flowers! :D

Todays trivia is...
Which of the following is not associated with a hurricane?
a) Tidal Wave
b) Eye
c) Feeder Band
d) Storm Surge

Everybody stay warm & safe today..
Joey

(first feeding)

Thumbnail by music2keep

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2008
1:50 PM

Post #4568028

Joey, the bunnies and I were at the zoo yesterday when that "AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL MOVE THROUGH THE GULF COAST STATES"... We were almost as wet as the fish in the building we ducked into to get out of the rain! LOL We had a great time, though. The little bunny's class had a field trip there and Joy and I got to go with them. They had a little lecture about habitats by two staff people and got to touch a skink, a little leopard tortoise, and a jungle fowl (looks like a skinny chicken.) And then we got to wander around the zoo in small groups until lunch time. The bunnies and I were our own group, so that was easy. After lunch, the rest of the kids went back to school (arriving just in time to go home for the day) and the bunnies and I stayed at the zoo for another couple of hours. It wasn't very cold, so even though it started raining at 2:30-ish, we weren't uncomfortable outside. It also wasn't very hot, so the buildings didn't have their a/c turned up very high and we didn't freeze when we went in. We left at 3:30, hoping to beat the rush hour traffic home, but by then it was raining SO hard, the traffic was barely moving anyway. Ugh...

Kiska, I'd rather have Kelli's tree frog in the house than your moose! LOL

Joey, awwww... the first feeding is always so fun. :-) Joy had such a surprised look on her face when I popped in that first spoonful of sweet potatoes. LOLOL I'm guessing A. I think they are associated with earthquakes, not hurricanes.

E_B, I think I'd hold out for the cage. LOL

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2008
1:52 PM

Post #4568031

This was my favorite picture from the zoo... I was trying to get a picture of this fish so we could look him up later. He had such interesting colors! I had the flash off so I wouldn't get the glare from the tank, but he kept moving, so everything blurred...

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2008
1:55 PM

Post #4568043

The little bunny stood at the coral reef tank for a long long time, watching the clown fish and saying: "Nemo! Neeeemooo! Daddy? Daddy!" Pretty funny. LOL (We put in Finding Nemo for the first time this weekend so the bunnies could watch it while I combed their hair and checked for more bugs. Obviously they liked it. :-) (The movie that is... they were pretty good about the nitpicking, too, though.)

You can see how wet she is... LOL

This message was edited Feb 21, 2008 7:55 AM

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

clerkie56
Iberia, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 21, 2008
2:50 PM

Post #4568241

We are getting sleet this morning. Just looked out now we are getting freezing rain. 20 degrees. I hope it stops soon but the tv said could last a while. After the rain we should get snow anywhwere from 2 to 4 inches. Glad my son turned around and came back home. DH may be staying with someone over night if the rain continues. Marylyn- taking kids to the zoo is the greatest. Marsue- you take great pictures very pretty. Kiska- What a sight to see during the day. Adinamiti- Snowdrops are going to give me spring fever in all of my ice. Kelli- We will need some of those oranges soon. Everyone have a great day!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2008
2:57 PM

Post #4568275

Adina: what pretty snowdrops
Kelli: I want some freshly-squeezed orange juice with lots of pulp in it.
Kiska: at least a green tree frog can't trample you to death!
Pepper: from the looks of that road, you need ice skates to get around
Ric: lots of snow up there--just keep it up there--LOL
E_B: you, too! and good luck with transporting the hawk
Joey: JW is surprisingly well-nourished for just now having his "first feeding". LOL
Sharon: I'm not a night owl--therefore I didn't see the eclipse but it would have been too cloudy here, anyway. I love open-air restaurants, expecially when they overlook a body of water.

Marylyn: sounds like you and the bunnies had a good time at the zoo. I love that "impressionist" water-color photo! I'm saving it.

The northern tier of counties obviously have received sleet and/or ice during the night because several of the schools in the north=central area of the state are closed today.
Here's the forecast for central Arkansas, including Cabot:

Today: Periods of rain, with thunderstorms also possible after 11am. High near 42. East northeast wind between 10 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Tonight: Occasional rain, mainly before 9pm. Low around 34. North northwest wind between 5 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Here's a photo of the cardinals at my feeder this morning. edited to add: I think the bird on the left is a house finch.

This message was edited Feb 21, 2008 9:00 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2008
7:40 PM

Post #4569301

Thanks for starting a new thread Sharon.
I'm still waiting for my LT to return all better.
It's warmer outside than in the house.
Sidney
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2008
8:35 PM

Post #4569508

Hi everyone!

It was a beautiful day today, partly cloudy, just about calm and 37F :-) Wonderful - and again it felt like spring :-) It started snowing once again this evening, it'll be interesting to see if it'll stick around. Current temperature is 30F.

marsue - the snow in the midnight photo lasted until around noon yesterday, then it started raining and got really windy too so it was mostly gone by evening. Then we got a tiny bit of snow last night, that mostly melted today since it was warm and partly sunny ;-) lol

Marylyn - sounds like you had a great time at the zoo with your bunnies :-)

Joey - JW is so cute :-) What did he get? Apples?

pepper and marsue - great cardinal photos - they're so pretty :-)

EB - good news about the hawk. Good luck transporting it back ;-)

Hope you all have a great night!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2008
11:11 PM

Post #4570003

Joey The Trivia answer is A. Look at that happy and surprised face! Its saying Yuuummmmy Whats that?!! Aww, hes just adorable! LOL! Post another picture of JW & Garrett, because I can see a resemblance!
Marylyn Sounds like yall had a great time at the zoo! Love the pictures, the 2nd is my favorite too. It has the look of a Monet (one of my favs)!
Clerkie You have a weather mess going on. Glad your son stayed and hopefully your DH will be able to make it home. If not, its better he stays where he is for the night.
Maruse I must have the pulp in my OJ too! You would love it here. We have lots of outdoor restaurants on the water. Love the bird feeder pics!
Sidney I hope you get your laptop back soon. I hate not being able to get on-line does anyone detect a mild touch of internet addiction? LOL!
Rann OMG that picture of Hildur Eva is wonderful! She is a camera ham! LOL! I cant wait to show it to DH.

61.3 F / 16.3 C
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 91%
Dew Point: 59 F / 15 C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1.6 km/h / 0.4 m/s from the NE
Wind Gust: 4.9 mph / 7.9 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 5.0 miles / 8.0 kilometers
Clouds: Few 1000 ft / 304 m
Mostly Cloudy 4300 ft / 1310 m
Overcast 5000 ft / 1524 m

Tonight
Showers and isolated thunderstorms in the evening...then numerous showers and isolated thunderstorms after midnight. Patchy fog after midnight. Low 60. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph shifting to the south 5 to 10 mph after midnight. Chance of rain 90 percent.

This has been a nice slow soaker, exactly what we need. Interesting clouds this morning.

edited to add:
Now
Through 700 PM...scattered to numerous showers with a few embedded thunderstorms will move northeast at 15 mph across extreme northeast Florida. Thunderstorms will affect areas from Macclenny and the west side of Jacksonville to Fernandina Beach and Mayport. Expect brief gusty winds...heavy downpours and dangerous lightning with thunderstorm activity. Rainfall rates of around an inch per hour are possible in thunderstorms and heavier showers.

This message was edited Feb 21, 2008 6:15 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 21, 2008
11:41 PM

Post #4570120

Kiska, glad to hear from you! Well, we are neighbors to some extent... Siberia! Lol.

Ric, you probably know more about the Russian history than me. Lol. Did you read Solzhenitsin's?

Hi, Rann! How's the weather in Iceland?

Sharon, great to be the part of your thread! It was not flu, wasn't it!? Spring is underway>

Our snow is thawing again. I thought of going skiing today. 33F.(

Joey, the trivia answer, in my view, is A. Happy baby, JW! I used to be one.lol.)))

Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #4570308

What happy healthy looking children - all of them! We had a beautiful sunshiney day here is Central Pa. Temps in the 16-17 deg range most of the day with very little wind. Quite pleasant. Around 4 PM temps began to rise, it s now 24 degrees and we are to get about 4 inches of snow, turning to sleet and freezing rain with ice accumulations for tomorrow into Saturday.

Most of the United States is running a high percentage of flu cases right now. The vaccine we got last fall did not contain protection for two of the current strains, making the rounds. We went to the grocery store and people were sniffling and coughing - went to the drug store to fill a prescriptions, same thing, kids hacking and coughing.

I think I will stay at home until we run out of food, including the deep freezer! My husband and I are elderly and do try to sanitize cart handles in the store and doorknobs, telephones, food surfaces here at home, but I Still have to tell him to wash his hands when he comes in the door! Guess men are just not used to hand washing as much as women are. Maybbe the cold sleet and snow will kill off more of the flu bugs.

Stay safe and warm, drink a lot :-) (OK), get plenty of rest.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #4570704

We got a half inch of ice today. It was not expected. I stayed home from work cause the roads were a mess and it would be even worse at work. At least 2 other coworkers stayed home too cause they couldn't get out due to the ice. Tonight we will have snow coming in. I haven't heard how much and really don't want to hear it. lol. The ice is bad enough. I am hoping roads will be clear in the morning so I have no trouble getting in.

Oh, and in that road pic that is snow that you see. No ice under there. lol. It was a bit slick with my golf cart but I have bald tires so anything other than asphalt is slick. lol.

Currently: 18F
Currently: -7C
Wind: North-Northeast at 7 MPH
Humidity: 92%
Dewpoint: 16F
Barometer: 29.99 inches and
Wind Chill: 8F
Wind: North-Northeast at 11 KPH
Humidity: 92%
Dewpoint: -8C
Barometer: 1015 millibars and
Wind Chill: -13 C
Sunrise: 7:02 am
Sunset: 6:03 pm

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2008
2:26 AM

Post #4570753

I leave work at 3 PM...
I'm on the HWY from Exit 59-69.
It went from flurries to full blown slicking snow in that 10 mile stretch.
I called back to work as I got off the Exit to tell the KY people to bail out NOW.

We have about 2" here but it's been rain/sleet for over an hour.
We're in a Rain Bullseye here. Must be the Urban Affect.
Snow for 30 miles all around us...

Ah Winter in Cincinnati...

George I took a couple of Russian History courses in college.
I got interested from the stories told by my neighbors and Uncle when I was growing up.
The neighbors were White Russia Jews who left in 1918... to go to Germany.
Survived the camps and moved here to OH.
My late Uncle's Family, also Jewish, left in 1915 for Denmark.
(Where he was born then off to NYC, NY .)
They were quite wealthy jewlers and took most of their money w/ them.
So I got a chance to see the upper class Russian society in New York too.
Cool batch of people and friendlier people I've never since met.

Ric
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2008
10:43 AM

Post #4571964

Se_eds I heard there are 40+ strains of the flu that arent covered by the flu shot. Various strains are making the rounds here as well.
Ric and Pepper You 2 seem to get the same weather within hours of each other. Stay warm and safe!

63.9 F / 17 C
Overcast
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 63 F / 17 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/hfrom the -
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph / 6 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Few 3000 ft / 914 m
Mostly Cloudy 10000 ft / 3048 m
Overcast 20000 ft / 6096 m

Today - High 80 (ugh)
Mostly cloudy early in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Warmer. Patchy fog early in the morning. Slight chance of showers in the morning...then chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may produce damaging winds in the afternoon. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

This was all the sunrise we got yesterday

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2008
11:12 AM

Post #4571989

28 (Wind Chill 22)
Yep Pepper is usually my "preview of coming attractions"! lol!

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2008
12:05 PM

Post #4572070

Yep! lol
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2008
12:46 PM

Post #4572176

I forgot to add 2.5" of rain yesterday!

Thumbnail by MySharona

clerkie56
Iberia, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2008
2:57 PM

Post #4572584

Good morning. We have about 11/2 inches of sleet on the ground with a little snow. The trees have a little ice from the rain but thankfully we didn't get much of that. DH made it home just fine he said no way was he staying at work - he is off for the next three days. Our roads are not in good shape so I will stay around close to home today. We have about 25 degrees and no wind YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! We might get a little more snow today but is going to warm up a bit. The ground sure is pretty all covered. I know alot of people had lots of trouble yesterday trying to get to work or home and they sure don't think it's pretty. We are in line to get rain over the weekend then changing to snow by Monday. Lots of cute baby pictures. I found out Wednesday my DD is going to have a girl in July we are very excited, her big sister has a name picked out and I think everyone will agree how beautiful it is . Rainbow Dash Princess. How about that! Everyone stay safe!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2008
8:55 PM

Post #4574124

Rann: a smile from that little girl would brighten anyone's day!
Sharon: your skies look like ours--no sunshine here today but it is definitely not 80 here! I love those succulents.
George: cute baby pic :o))
Se_Eds: I'm with you . Stay away from people if you want to avoid the flu! LOL
Clerkie, Ric, Pepper: stay warm and safe! Snow is pretty to look at from a distance--when you are inside and warm and cozy! Congratulations on the new granddaughter who will be arriving in July! Her big sis has picked out quite a name for her! LOL

Gray skies but no rain since early this a.m. 40 on my back porch at this time.

Arkansas Flower and Garden Show tomorrow at the Statehouse Convention Center in Little Rock. Looking forward to attending that.
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 22, 2008
9:44 PM

Post #4574249

Thank's for comments to ye'all!

Ric, it was pleasure to read your message.

We had some real strong winds, and the water level increase in the Neva river today.

Sharon, good you have rains.

Marsue, thanks,and hope you don't forget your camera tomorrow.)

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #4574818

Clerkie Glad your DH made it home last night. Congratulations on the grandbaby-such a cute name!
Marsue Be sure to take lots of pictures tomorrow!

Now
Scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms will affect extreme northeast Florida...along and north of I-10 including Jacksonville and the Suwannee Springs areas this evening. Heavy downpours at times may cause minor flooding in low and poor drainage areas.

Rest of Tonight
Partly cloudy until early morning then becoming mostly cloudy. Scattered showers and thunderstorms early in the evening...then showers and thunderstorms likely. Patchy fog early in the morning. Some thunderstorms may produce damaging winds early in the evening. Low 61. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph shifting to the west 5 to 10 mph after midnight. Chance of rain 70 percent.

It's raining again!

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #4574832

Got home late from work last night and didn't get to check in. Now I'm behind again.

I'll just say, that ..
Joey: In my experience, the answer is A.
Sharon: Yahoo 2.5" of rain!
Rann: Adorable girls you have.
George: You were an infant once? ;->

Been raining since last night and is supposed to keep up til sometime tomorrow. The good news is we've just now caught up to the "normal" point for rainfall over the past 12 months. A little chilly but not what most would call cold.

Everyone stay safe, warm, and dry.

Deb
PS/Here's the best pic I was able to get of the eclipse.

Thumbnail by DebinSC

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2008
12:15 AM

Post #4574851

So glad you've caught up on the rain! Hopefully we're getting closer.

Your picture is way better than mine! LOL! Very pretty!

We had some pretty skies for a couple of hours today

Thumbnail by MySharona

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 23, 2008
12:19 AM

Post #4574872

Sharon, charging from the pic you've posted it's not raining there. I always knew it's good to have winter rains in the areas down South. Am I not right?
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 23, 2008
12:23 AM

Post #4574881

Deb, good joke! But I do hope, I still am! :~)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #4575219

Well I thought I was in trouble this morning.
Drizzling rain and cold...
The top of the car was snow covered, the rest a sheet of ice.
But the snow was under the ice so it just fell off.

Last night's drive home rush hour roads were horrible I've heard.
So bad it appears a lot of people stayed home today.
My drive in wasn't bad except for the rain.
A few times it started freezing on the windshield... so it was spray and pray...

Coming home it was just pure rain and empty highway.

The rain has stopped now.
32 (Wind Chill 25)
Dewpoint: 27 Wind: NE 6 MPH
Humidity: 82% Pressure: 29.89 in Hg

Looks like this weekend will be grey and cold tomorrow.
Sunny and Average Temp (45 ) on Sunday.
Maybe 50 by Monday.
Hopefully yesterday morning's 5 reading will be the last of the single digits!

I got some shots at work today.
Here's some of the decking and stairs I helped to build.
1/4" diamond plate steel over a 2" x 6" C channel frame.
Some of the railing still needs painted.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2008
1:43 AM

Post #4575240

Here's the machining project we're working on now.
These 550 pound ring forgings in the foreground.

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #4575246

Look like this after the first pass.

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #4575259

And will eventually look like this... just before shipping.
The new Green Machine cuts the teeth on the rings.
The center section we do in a seperate operation.

These are gears used in pumps to push water into oil wells to extract natural gas.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2008
2:00 AM

Post #4575322

It got pretty hot today. I went from 4 layers to 2 by late morning. Just too darn hot. It hit the high 20s, low 30s. hahahaahaha

Currently: 27F Cloudy
Currently: -2C Cloudy
Wind: North at 0 MPH
Dewpoint: 19F
Barometer: 30.00 inches and
Wind: North at 0 KPH
Dewpoint: -7C
Barometer: 1016 millibars and
Sunrise: 7:02 am
Sunset: 6:03 pm

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 23, 2008
2:52 AM

Post #4575566

34 Light out at nearly 6pm; mostly cloudy w/mixed sun.
Lows in the upper teens to mid 20s. Southeast wind 10 to 25 mph in the evening becoming light.
Sorry to once again be so far behind for personal comments; but, I do love catching up and seeing the photos. I will say, ric, perhaps those gears will be shipped up here for the Natural Gas Pipeline being considered. Driving sounds like you had your work cut out for you.
Hello to all and have a great weekend.
Icy cliffs along Turnagain Arm, south of Anchorage where they do avalanche work. People climb these and it's always a thrill to watch.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2008
3:57 AM

Post #4575807

Beautiful!!!
I can just see the water pouring off in the Spring.
Any problems w/ Falling Rocks?

Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 23, 2008
4:16 AM

Post #4575898

Ric~ lots of water; and falling rocks:) and avalanches.
Just last week a moose fell off and landed alongside a passing State Trooper car. Very strange accident. The meat was donated to charity.

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2008
1:11 PM

Post #4576635

Yuri You are right. Winter rain in the South is a very good thing! Ive heard there is some correlation between hot summers following wet winters playing a minor part of the ozone-rain relationship, but I dont really understand the significance (basically its pretty much Greek to me). It is critical for the farmers to get the winter rains. The plants need the soil moisture to carry the crops through the summer. And it (hopefully) breaks the drought cycle from Summer and Fall. Although Georgia still hasnt received enough rain to break the drought. It also helps the areas that were burned from summer and fall wildfires heal. We all know its great for the flower industry, but not so great for pecans.
Ric Prior to the pictures you posted Ive never seen that type of work in process. Interesting! I cant imagine driving in the conditions you talk about. Id stay at home too LOL!!
Pepper You had a heat wave! Break out the shorts and tees!
Kiska- Thats a beautiful picture! Looks like a frozen waterfall.

61.9 F / 16 C
Overcast
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 60 F / 15 C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1 km/h
Wind Gust: 5.4 mph / 8 km/h
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1015.8 hPa (Steady)
Clouds: Few 400 ft / 121 m
Mostly Cloudy 5000 ft / 1524 m
Overcast 11000 ft / 3352 m

Today
Mostly cloudy with rain and scattered thunderstorms in the morning...then partly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may produce gusty winds. Rain may be heavy at times. High 74. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

I heard some serious weather blow through last night, but no damage anywhere Whew! Another 1.2" of rain last night and yesterday. I can't mow this weekend since the ground is so wet! The lawn looks like weed central!

The dark clouds in the background is the storm front moving through last evening.

Thumbnail by MySharona

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 23, 2008
7:10 PM

Post #4578076

Hey, guys, I've been away, busy with the new house. We took the tiles for the bathrooms, kitchen and downstairs. I did a little research for finding what I wanted and I'm very satisfied with what I found . It's all from a factory we have in Bucharest called Cesarom.
Here is the link to their website if you want to see more :

http://www.cesarom.ro/colectii_en.php

Deb, amasing shot of the eclipse!
Sharon, wonderful skies and eclipse too!
Joey, JW is so sweet, reminds me of my DS!
Ric, now I understand why you are so good at building so many things, amasing!

These are the models I chose.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2008
11:48 PM

Post #4579122

Deb: gorgeous shot of the eclipse.
Sharon: we got rain last night, too, but it stopped before morning.
Ric: love those green and yellow stairs--do you work for John Deere? LOL
Gas companies are currently drilling for natural gas in several places in Arkansas. Do you think they will be using some of those gears on /in their equipment?
Adina: I love the tiles you have picked out. I can hardly wait to see the interior photos of your house once that tile is in place.
[quote]People climb these and it's always a thrill to watch.[/quote]
Kiska: you have GOT to be kidding!!!!

I and 3 other DGers went to the Arkansas Flower and Garden Show today. I did take several photos. This first one is for you, Kiska. LOL

Tonight...Becoming mostly cloudy. A chance of rain and isolated thunderstorms. Lows in the upper 30s. East winds 5 to 10 mph. The chance of precipitation 50 percent. Average rainfall 1/10 to 1/4 inch.

Sunday...Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 50s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Sunday Night...Partly cloudy in the evening...becoming mostly cloudy. Lows in the upper 30s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph in the evening...shifting to the southeast after midnight.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2008
11:50 PM

Post #4579135

This one is a display of a moss and rock garden.

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2008
2:00 AM

Post #4579658

Adina I love the tiles from that place!
I wonder if I can find any over here.

Sue there's nothing that says Spring like a Garden Show!!
Thanks!

Kiska we had an avalanches here too!
We had just gotten home and I went to go get the camera.
Wanted some snow on the steel roof shots.
Suddenly BAMM!
One whole side let loose.
Our next door neighbor called to see if our roof had caved in...

Here's the other side... notice the slipage.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2008
2:04 AM

Post #4579680

32 and Dead Calm... going down to 19
Tomorrow 46 and Sunny!!!

This won't last the day I'd say... hopefully... LOL!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2008
2:07 AM

Post #4579700

whisperingI have the AC on.
;)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2008
2:08 AM

Post #4579703

DUCK!!!!!!!
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2008
2:09 AM

Post #4579705

We had a mainly cloudy day, but with a few gloriously sunny "intervals". High was 70F. Planted a couple of "shrubberies". :)

Total rain from the last 3 days, almost 3". That puts our area of SC officially out of the severe drought classification.

Very chilly lookin' icycles there, Ric.
Adina: Very cheerful choices! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Took this this afternoon.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2008
2:10 AM

Post #4579710

SPLAT!!!!
;)
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2008
2:10 AM

Post #4579712

Sidney: LOL!
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2008
2:22 AM

Post #4579757

Hello from Millersburg, Pa. It was 26 degrees this AM and we had about 1/4" of ice covering the 2 inches of snow we received yesterday. By 8 AM I was out with the snowblower to get it off the driveway. It was misting rain and once that mess gets wet, the snowblower doesn't want to pick it up and throw it. LOL

Well the rain stopped, the sun came out, temps rose to 34 degrees and the rest melted. Wonderful!! The sun felt so good.

It is currently 22 degrees and wind still. Made a 10 quart pot of home made beef vegetable soup. No cooking tomorrow, just re-heating.

Tomorrow we are supposed to get up to near 40 degrees and sunny. Things are good!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2008

Post #4579773

For shame, Sidney and Deb! Bragging about your warm weather like that! Wish we had some of it here but they are promising us 60 by Monday and just wait till you hear me bragging about that!!! LOL

Wow, Ric, that was some "avalanche"!

Gorgeous bloom, Deb.

edited to add: There's nothing like home-made soup on a cold, snowy day, se_eds.

One more photo from the flower show.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2008 8:28 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2008
2:44 AM

Post #4579867

It's currently snowing.

Currently: 34F Cloudy
Currently: 1C Cloudy
Wind: South-Southeast at 3 MPH
Humidity: 80%
Dewpoint: 28F
Barometer: 30.08 inches and
Wind Chill: 31F
Wind: South-Southeast at 4 KPH
Dewpoint: -2C
Barometer: 1018 millibars and
Wind Chill: 0 C
Sunrise: 6:59 am
Sunset: 6:05 pm

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 24, 2008
2:56 AM

Post #4579914

31 sunny, blue sky and a fire out on the deck to complete the afternoon. Very pleasant to feel the sunshine.
Sunday
Mostly sunny. Highs in the 20s. North wind 10 mph with gusts to 25 mph
MySharona~very stormy day from the looks of those clouds; interesting, too about the rain/crops info. The waterfalls along the highway are frozen and fantastic.
It the summer is "normal, they'll be pouring when you make the drive.
marsue~thanks for the cute little froggy wave:) Must have been fun to see and take in all the fragrances there.
ric~glad you weren't under the avalanche; bet it did get the neighbor's attention. Street looks nice as does the icy roof.
Deb~how wonderful to see that photo~the color/sky and all, very pretty.
Adina~very nice; I think we're all nearly as excited as you as this is coming together.
se_eds~what a job with the snow-blower; glad though the sun did help out a bit. Soup sounds wonderful. And, the sun felt great here, too.
More ice along Turnagain Arm.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 24, 2008
4:15 PM

Post #4581766

7am and the nearly full moon is beautiful;
Sunrise: 8:14am Sunset: 6:06 Gain of 5m50s
Highs in the upper 20s to mid 30s. North wind to 15 mph.
Good morning everyone; sun's in the forecast as well, so it's going to be a beautiful day.
Ice encrusted high water mark in Turnagain Arm.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2008
6:35 PM

Post #4582340

Kiska: you are gaining daylight every day! Good pictures of the ice at Turnagain Arm. If you get sun, you will be seeing more than we have today. It is overcast here. :o((

Sharon: here is a succulent for you: Do you have a "Burro's Tail"?

Thumbnail by marsue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #4584027

Currently: 36F Partly Cloudy
Currently: 2C Partly Cloudy
Wind: South at 13 MPH
Dewpoint: 30F
Barometer: 30.00 inches and
Wind Chill: 27F
Wind: South at 20 KPH
Dewpoint: -1C
Barometer: 1016 millibars and
Wind Chill: -2 C
Sunrise: 6:58 am
Sunset: 6:06 pm

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2008
1:34 AM

Post #4584033

Kiska that is a brutally beautiful place.

We had a bit of a weather setback.
Today's 48 never materialized.
We've been at 32 since daybreak.

And the mostly sunny...
well...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2008
1:37 AM

Post #4584045

We are also at dangerous Avalanche Conditions...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2008
1:38 AM

Post #4584050

Surf's Up!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #4584194

Ric...that really does look like water pouring off of the roof! We had your sunshine today but we didn't get any warmer either though.

Kiska...Wow! that ice is thick. We get ice dunes here on the Great Lakes. I'll post a photo.

Photo: Ice Dunes on Lake Erie.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2008
2:17 AM

Post #4584199

Another recent winter scene...

early_bloomer

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2008
2:19 AM

Post #4584204

Well I guess technically it IS water pouring off the roof...lol!

It's gone now... let's see what tomorrow brings...

We got some of the doors up today.
Need to swap one out and get a few more.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2008
2:55 AM

Post #4584383

Another ptly sunny spring -like day. More of the same the next few days, but...dum-de-dum-dum...s'pose to get down in the upper 20s mid-week.

Awsome ice and snow pics, y'all!

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2008
6:34 AM

Post #4585078

Those are very pretty, Deb.

We had rain and snow earlier today.
Current temp 36
Feels like 29
Barometer 30 in and rising
Humidity 90%
Visibility 10 miles
Wind 9 mph SE
UV Index 0 low

I got lucky and had my camera with me when I left the house today

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2008
6:36 AM

Post #4585082

It's going to take me a minute to catch up with everyone, so, I will tomorrow. The pics look wonderful.

When I got where I was going, I got this shot from the car.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2008
10:44 AM

Post #4585240

Good morning!

The snow's back and it's winter again for now :-) Today's partly cloudy, just a light breeze and about 26F :-) Yesterday was a gorgeous sunny day, almost calm and conciderably warmer - about 30-32F.

Thanks everyone who commented on Hildur Eva's photo - can you tell she's photographed alot? lol

Hi Juri! We got snow! Might last all week! :-)

Clerkie - congrats on the coming granddaugther :-) Great name her sister's picked out for her ... sounds like something my girls would pick too ;-) lol

Deb - that tulip magnolia is gorgeous! And the spring bulbs are very pretty - what are they? They look like something I might want ;-) lol

EB - gorgeous photos!

Ric - look out below! Is the snow gone?

Kiska - great photos from turnagain arm - the frozen high tide line is pretty cool! :-)

Marsue - wonderful photos from the flower show :-)

It was so nice to see some sun and shadows for a change yesterday :-)

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2008
10:51 AM

Post #4585246

Adina I love the tiles! Your house is going to be beautiful!
Marsue I want that frog from the garden show! Its too cute! LOL!
Ric Heads up on the avalanche! That would hurt :O
Sidney We had the a/c on too! LOL!
Deb Love the blooms so pretty! Spring is comingSpring is coming!!
Se_eds Nice to hear from you! Did you get some warm weather? Yum homemade soup!
Kiska - I bet Juri would climb the ice at Turnagain Arm! Not me though LOL! Its always a thrill for me to see the snow and ice.
Marsue I dont have a Burros Tail, I have something similar though. I do have a Donkeys Ear!
Ric Dont you love it when the forecast gets totally blown?! Happens here, but usually the predition is Its going to be a gorgeous day plan plenty of outdoor activities! Then it storms all day or vice versa! Be careful going outside. Your cabinets look great!
E_B Love your pictures! They always have that Wow factor!
Deb Are the white flowers snow-drops? Very pretty!
Kwanjin The mountains make a gorgeous backdrop! Nasty looking clouds though look like the type we get.

50.4 F / 10.2 C
Fog
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 48 F / 9 C
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 0.2 miles / 0.4 kilometers
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 100 ft / 30 m

Now
Patchy dense fog has formed over the area reducing visibilities to a quarter mile or less at times early this morning. Motorists should be on the lookout for sudden changes in visibility. The fog will burn off by 9 am.

Today
Mostly sunny. Patchy fog early in the morning. High 70 coast. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

We had a picture perfect weekend. It got absolutely beautiful after the rain and clouds blew through Saturday. I did major weeding yesterday and am paying for it with sore muscles this morning! But it felt so good to get out and play in the dirt. Going to start some seeds tonight (mostly snapdragons). I'm a little late on it, but if I plant them - they'll grow! LOL! I counted 4 Gulf Fritillary chrysalis' in various stages on Lady Margaret. There could be more.

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2008
10:53 AM

Post #4585249

Rann - We crossed - Your fresh snow is so pretty!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2008
11:11 AM

Post #4585264

34 going for 48 unless it snows again...

Well the 'Wave' is gone anyway.

Just minutes after I took the shots...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2008
1:35 PM

Post #4585544

Mornin' All! I am hopelessly behind! There is no way you can take a week end off around here! :D Great pics! Everyone! Love the snow, John-Deer colors & cabinets, flowers, Ice, baby pics, rock gardens, "wet" zoo pics, a little girl in pink, Squirrel-in-th bird-bath... :D
Today (at the moment) we have a temp of 33, w/ a little sun in the frocast today & rain tomorrow.
At Dublin...
Mostly Cloudy: 36F
Feels like: 32F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 30
Wind: 5 mph W
Sunrise: 7:00 AM
Sunset: 6:12 PM

The answer to the trivia is...A
Tidal waves (or tsunamis) are caused by earthquakes. However hurricanes can have 50-100 ft waves.
Todays trivia is...
When does the Atlantic hurricane season officially begin? (I expect some correct answers! :D)
a) May 1st
b) June 1st
c) July 1st
d) August 1st

msut get back to the school work...
Hav a Great Day! ASll!
Joey

(there is a keen resemblance)

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2008
3:43 PM

Post #4586091

Ric--it looks like it is still very much winter at your house! Your cabinets look just like ours!! (ours have the arch in the doors--but same color and same hardware)
Sharon: that squirrel was thirsty!
Celia: we have seen a lot of clouds recently just like the ones in your photos--only ours are only dropping rain--no snow.
Rann: you saw more sunshine than we did yesterday.
Deb: pretty snowdrops--if that is what they are.
E_B: great winter shots, as usual
Joey: love that photo of JW and "friend"! I'm guessing C for the trivia.

It's been foggy here this morning--supposed to see sunshine this afternoon and we are heading up to 65 today or so the weatherman says. We'll see if he is correct. Our local tv weatherman had this bit of trivia today: There are 1800 thunderstorms worldwide every day.

Here's another shot from the flower and garden show.

Thumbnail by marsue

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2008
5:30 PM

Post #4586522

Joey - JW & Garrett have the same eyes!
marsue - Those red tulips are gorgeous!

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2008
5:56 PM

Post #4586628

Oh, I do believe spring is on her way!!! We have a garden show coming up soon but (sniff) I have to work those days.

The cloud pics from yesterday were of a storm front moving towards me. I had to drive INTO it. Thank goodness for the 4WD. By the time I was finished what I was doing, the snow was all gone. That wouldn't happen in January. Spring is definitely here.

38 right now and overcast
Barometer is 30.2 and rising

Snow flurries and rain expected with a high of 45. Yup, spring.

Everyones pics are awesome. There are quite a few flowers there that I need to get.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2008
6:46 PM

Post #4586797

Spring has officially arrived in Houston! The Texas Mountain Laurels and the Mexican Plums are starting to bloom. I love the laurels especially. :-) It feels like spring, too. There is another chilly front coming through tonight (with more rain, of course), so it is "only" going to be in the 60s tomorrow. Today, though, it is going to be in the low 80s.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 11:53am CST (41 min ago)
Temperature 75 F 24 C
Dew Point 64 F 18 C
Humidity 70%
Pressure 29.91 in 1012.9 mb
Wind Speed 20 MPH
G 29 17 kts
G 25
Wind Dir S 190
Ceiling 2400 ft 732 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 78 F 26 C
Current Conditions Cloudy
Remarks Peak Wind: 27 kts from 190 (17:36 GMT).
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 51.1F / 10.6C
6 hour max temperature ending 11:53am CST : 75.0F / 23.9C

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2008
7:15 PM

Post #4586885

I caught that. Are you a MP fan?
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 25, 2008
7:38 PM

Post #4586977

16 10:30am Don't think it's going to reach the 30's despite the hope.
Today
Mostly cloudy. Highs in the mid 20s to lower 30s. North wind 10 to 15 mph.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2008
11:22 PM

Post #4587820

Kwanjin 4WD rocks!!
Marylyn Were still going though our teaser spring. Thats what Feb is for in Floridaa little wintera little springa little more winter! LOL! Would you send me some more Ranger cuttings? Mine passed on. : ( sniff sniff Need pics of the Mexican Plums.
Kiska How warm did you get?

64.8 F / 18.2 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 42%
Dew Point: 41 F / 5 C
Wind Gust: 5.8 mph / 9.3 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
Clouds: Few 3000 ft / 914 m
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 20 ft / 6 m

Tonight
Mostly clear. Low 54. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

Holy Cow it's going to be cold (for us) on Wednesday! The high is 54 - our low tonight! Winter - Spring - Winter - Spring...LOL!

Carolina Wrens

Thumbnail by MySharona

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 25, 2008
11:48 PM

Post #4587947

The afternoon is looking good~mostly sunny and 29, edging so close to the high of 30 that is in the forecast.
Nice to have been catching up w/everyone's weather and photos.
Joey~Garrett and JW look awfully cute together. A
marsue~what a bright color spot; must have been so nice there.
E_B~ the dunes are beautiful; bet it's quite an attraction.
Deb~those blooms are as pretty and dainty as any I've ever seen.
ric~so glad you survived the avalanches~very impressive series. The cabinets look great, too.
kwanjin~also very impressive; sounds like messy driving conditions there.
Very pretty, Marylyn~~nice knowing spring has arrived and will be
coming this way.
MySharona~very pretty and the birds are cute,too. Also looks as if you're into lots of seasons in a short time.
Shortly after 5pm; I cliked as DH drove across the Matanuska River.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2008
12:14 AM

Post #4588067

Kiska...I took that photo at Presque Isle State Park and there are plenty of signs posted warning people to stay off the dunes. They are quite dangerous because the wave action can undermine them. They look like they are on shore but most of them are over the water. You might think you are standing on a hill of solid ice and suddenly fall through the thin crust into the lake. Nice light and lines on your Matanuska River photo.

Joey...I know what you mean about trying to keep up with this thread. Miss a day or 2 and you're a goner.

Deb...I have some of those flowers...I should see them in a couple of months. :-(

kwanjin...Those clouds look like something out of a movie!

It's 30F here now with a nasty looking blob of freezing rain just to the west and heading this way. Highs in the upper teens for Tues. and Wed. before gradually climbing to the upper 30's a week from today.

early_bloomer

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2008
1:14 AM

Post #4588314

Currently: 36 Dewpoint: 30 Wind: Calm
Humidity: 79% Pressure: 29.85 in Hg

Average: High 47 Low 28
Record: High 75 (2000) Low -7 (1967)

I threw that full header in to show the wild swings we get here this time of year.
Those records say it all.

It looks as if the wild swings in temperature are about over.
We'll see more gentle hills and valleys than the Mountains and Chasms.
The next ten days show temps rising to 57 and down to 20 briefly Weds morning.
But mostly 50 High to 30 Low.
No more 70's and 7's.

This morning was the first time in weeks I could just start my car and drive off.
No 10 minutes of scraping, no stopping to let the defroster catch up.
It's raining now and the temps will rise all night.
Hopefully Spring will start popping here too!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 26, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #4588484

Ric~hills and valleys are better weather-wise~sure does look like it can fluctuate a bit this time of year. Your flower garden looks wonderful when it's in bloom.
E_B~ the dunes do sound very dangerous and looks are sure deceiving. Love your winter scene.
Last week's warm up brought lots of ice. Back to normal and below freezing; the best way to be till break-up really arrives.
Lows around 15. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph. Local gusts to 30 mph in the evening.
Icy driveway; moments ago.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #4588508

Whoops Sorry!
That's from the Arboreteum... I WISH mine looked that good! LOL!

Ric
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2008
2:04 AM

Post #4588574

Kiska, winter experience tels me that that glow on the icey driveway is what we call "black ice". You ain't gonna go and you ain't gonna stop. LOL
Henri, I am glad to hear your weather is changing.
E_B - you are north as well as west of me and the ice blobs do not sound encouraging.
We had a beautiful day with temps up to 42 deg and sunshine. Supposed to change to freezing rain overnight then back to rain tomorrow afternoon.
Gnash, gnash, gnash, - tomorrow was my day to drive to Harrisburg for a day away from home.
Might make a 3 mile trip to the city of Millersburg and have lunch at a local restaurant instead.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2008

Post #4588677

Nice out today but snow coming in sometime tonight and will be cold tomorrow.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2008
6:25 AM

Post #4589534

Hi!

I found this in my yard yesterday. Crocuses are so cute!!!

Everyone's pics are wonderful and making me want spring to get here even faster. I thought the clouds looked like a CGI, as well.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2008
10:06 AM

Post #4589649

Good morning!

Kwanjin - what a happy find! Such a cheerful color too :-) Loved the storm cloud photos too - nice to see how your surroundings look :-)

It's another beautiful, but cold day here today. Partly cloudy, fairly calm and 26F. Last night's low was 16F, so it's a good thing there's a cover of snow keeping the plants safe :-)

Marylyn - what is that gorgeous flowering tree/shrub ???? Never seen anything like it - amazing! :-)

Joey - great photo of JW and Garret :-)

marsue - another wonderful photo from the flowershow :-)

EB - gorgeous!

Ric - sounds like you've got some springlike weather ahead ... I'm not green with envy - really I'm not ... ;-) lol We only have about a month or two left of winter ... grrrrr... lol

Photo taken yesterday afternoon.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2008
10:51 AM

Post #4589680

Kiska Great picture! Is the Mantuska thawing?
E_B Those dunes do sound dangerous. Ive never really been much of a daredevil. I would always be the one person hanging back while thinking If doing this doesnt kill me, then my Dad would if he ever found out! I was more scared of facing his wrath than anything! LOL!
Ric That is a wild swing in weather and were jumping on board! Love the tulips I wish they would grow here.
Kiska Thats a slippery driveway! LOL! I like the log cabin.
Se_eds A trip to town for lunch sounds like a pleasant diversion. I dont like the cooped up feeling.
Kwanjin Your crocus are so happy looking! Very pretty!
Rann Your picture is background! Gorgeous!

58.1 F / 14.5 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 54 F / 12 C
Wind Gust: 2.7 mph / 4.3 km/h
Pressure: 29.88 in / 1011.7 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 3500 ft / 1066 m
(Above Ground Level)

Here we go again! Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 10 am this morning to 7 PM EST this evening...

Today
Windy. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may produce damaging winds. High 76. Southwest winds 20 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent.

Callie -

Thumbnail by MySharona

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 26, 2008
4:56 PM

Post #4590924

16 daylight:)) since about 7am.
Ric~ no matter where it was, very pretty and colorful.
se_eds~ you're right; and the garage door bears the brunt of the run-in. The ice is inches deep and once break-up begins, is a real mess. Hope you've had a good day and were able to get out for lunch.
MySharona~ Callie looks so pretty.
The river's icy edges are breaking off and the river's channel is beginning to widen.
Rann~ what a beautiful photo; I love seeing your country.
People on the ice on one of the channels of the Matanuska.
Kiska

This message was edited Feb 26, 2008 11:38 AM

Thumbnail by kiska

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2008
5:40 PM

Post #4591130

Hi! :D Sorry that I'm a little late this morning...Garrett needed to use the puter before he went to class at 11:00. His classes seem to be going well. No deans list yet, but I'm very hopeful. (must encourage more! :D )
At the moment we have 50! And would you believe that we are gonna get some major Snow tonight? We are in a snow advisory (2-4 inches) & some of the surrounding counties are under a "heavy snow warning"! They're supposed to get 4-10" ! Nothing like a normal WV Feb.! :D Now is the time to go to Snowshoe to go skiing! :D (just wish that I had the time). I talked to the guys at the Federal Hatchery this morning & they said they are ready for the snow. Up there you have to be ready, because of the elevation.
At Bluefield...(don't mean to yell) A HEAVY SNOW WARNING IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 AM EST THURSDAY ABOVE 2500 FEET FOR TAZEWELL, BLAND, MERCER, SUMMERS AND GREENBRIER COUNTIES. A HEAVY SNOW WARNING IS ALSO IN EFFECT FOR RALEIGH AND FAYETTE COUNTIES FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING UNTIL 4 AM THURSDAY. A HEAVY SNOW WARNING IS ALSO IN EFFECT FOR POCAHONTAS COUNTY FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH 4 AM THURSDAY.
A SNOW ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 PM EST WEDNESDAY FOR MCDOWELL, WYOMING GILES, WYTHE AND MONROE COUNTIES...

The answer to the trivia is...B
97% of named tropical systems occur during hurricane season (June 1 - November 30)

Thanks Sharon, such a sweet pic. I know that you miss her. Those wrens look like they are having the time of their lives! :D
Thanks Kiska! Now that is some major Ice! It looks very thick...please be careful! :-O Like I said before...give me the snow, any day! I have saved the bridge pic! Love It! :D
Thanks Rann, your pic is absolutely stunning! Wow! Solitudinary. (LOL-is there such a word?) :D
Se_eds, hope that you are taking care today! Stay Safe!
Ric? are you gonna get any of this weather? BTW, Love the Arb. pic. Pics like that make you get the fever! :D
Marsue, Love the "beds"! I want some of those! ;D
E_B, You're gonna get some hefty lake-effect snow, huh? Take care! I think that I need somemore of those "solitudinal" sunny/snow pics! :D Love 'em! :D
Marylyn, What a beautiful plant! Most unusual! Does it get very large? and How long does it bloom? Wow!
Kwanjin, Yeah! Crocus & Hyacenth (sp) are the 1st things up, here. I can imagine your excitement! :D
Thanks, Marsue. Garrett is my youngest (a Freshman in college) & he absolutely Loves his new nephew! :D They do a lot of playing & laughing! :D

Today's trivia is...
Weather observers report reductions in visibility in official observations due to all of the following except:
a) Dust and smoke
b) Fog and Haze
c) Blowing snow
d) Pollen

Have a Great Day! All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2008
7:25 PM

Post #4591568

It's a Texas Mountain Laurel (Sophora secundiflora... http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55062/). We have two in the front yard and they are both between 15-18 feet tall. We've been here for 6 years now, and they were probably 10 feet high when we moved in, so they are probably 10+ years old.. they're very slow growers and it takes them 3-5 years to bloom. Once they mature, though, they are one of the first trees to bloom here every spring. I think the blooms last for a couple of weeks... Someone asked me that on the Texas forum, too, and I can't remember for sure. They aren't re-bloomers, unfortunately, but they are neat large shrubs/small trees even when they aren't blooming. :-) They are evergreens, and their seeds (aka mescal beans) grow in long pods. When they fall and burst, the seeds are bright red.

Sharon, you'll have to tell me how to take cuttings, but I'd be happy to try for you. The Texas Sage (aka Ranger) is alive and happy. It won't start blooming until it gets warmer out.

It's a gorgeous day outside. The chilly front went through last night and now it is bright and breezy and about 63.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 1:15pm CST (9 min ago)
Temperature 63 F 17 C
Dew Point 37 F 3 C
Humidity 39%
Pressure 30.15 in 1021 mb
Wind Speed 16 MPH
G 30 14 kts
G 26
Wind Dir N 350
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
Peak Wind: 26 kts from 350 (19:07 GMT).
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 52.0F / 11.1C

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #4592157

Kiska Those are some brave people standing on the ice! Its a lovely picture!
Joey I still have Callie you are thinking of my little man Baxter. Although Ill be just as torn up when her times comes. Im going with D on the Trivia. Thats a beauty of a rose!
Marylyn Let me know when you get new growth on the Tx Ranger. Ill let you know how to do the cuttings.

66.0 F / 18.9 C
Mostly Cloudy (and raining)
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 62 F / 16 C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1 km/h
Wind Gust: 11.6 mph / 18 km/h
Pressure: 29.74 in / 1007.0 hPa (Rising)
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 700 ft / 213 m
Mostly Cloudy 1800 ft / 548 m
Mostly Cloudy 4400 ft / 1341 m
(Above Ground Level)

Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 7 PM EST this evening...
Tornado Watch 80 in effect until 6 PM EST this afternoon...
Freeze watch in effect from late Wednesday night through Thursday morning...

Here are the details http://www.wunderground.com/US/FL/024.html#TOW

Tonight
Breezy. Cloudy with showers and thunderstorms likely early in the evening...then mostly cloudy with chance of showers and thunderstorms late in the evening. Partly cloudy after midnight. Some thunderstorms may be severe with large hail and tornadoes early in the evening. Low 43. West winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

Sounds like we're in for a rough night. Clouds on the way home from work this afternoon.

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2008
10:14 PM

Post #4592263

Joey: D for the trivia
Great photos everyone!
Sharon--I just want to reach out and pat Callie. I can hear her purring now! LOL

We're on the weather roller coaster again. It made it up to about 60 yesterday but it is cooler today and windy. The sun is shining, though, which is nice. Here's the local forecast:
Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 27. North northwest wind between 5 and 15 mph.
Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 51. West northwest wind between 5 and 10 mph.
Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm.

Here's another photo from the flower show. I really liked this arrangement.

Thumbnail by marsue

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2008
12:00 AM

Post #4592786

Oh boy, I am soooo far behind!

At least two folks asked if the flowers I posted were snowdrops...now I can't remember who asked! LOL. They're cousins of snowdrops called 'Spring Snowflakes" (Leucojum vernum).

We had the stormy stuff blow through here today and it's cooled a bit behind it. Possible frost and temps in the 30s the next two nights. High today tho, was 70 again. Tomorrow more like 50!

(Summer evening at the beach last year.)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2008
12:25 AM

Post #4592978

marsue - That's a neat Oriental arrangment! I like it, wouldn't work in my house, but I like it! When you look at Callie she starts purring! She's my granny kitty and very spoiled! Aren't they all? LOL!

Where is Juri and Kelli - they've been MIA

Here's an update...
61.7 F / 16.5 C
Thunderstorm
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 58 F / 15 C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1.6 km/h / 0.4 m/s from the WSW
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph / 6.4 km/h
Pressure: 29.71 in / 1006.0 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 8.0 miles / 12.9 kilometers
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 3000 ft / 914 m
Mostly Cloudy 4600 ft / 1402 m
Mostly Cloudy 8000 ft / 2438 m
(Above Ground Level)

Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 7 PM EST this evening... (ummmm it's almost 7:30pm)
Freeze watch in effect from late Wednesday night through Thursday morning...

One advisory has been dropped

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2008
2:03 AM

Post #4593672

Joey we're on the back side of that storm.
We had rain all night.
Stopped for just a bit as I drove to work then turned to snow this afternoon.
Just a dusting though.
Cold for the next two days then warming to the 50's and SUNNY for the weekend...
if that holds up... lol!

Kiska GREAT shot... scary looking terrain!
Deb and Sharon lovely cloud shots!
Callie's looking fit and ready for Summer!

Ric
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2008
10:44 AM

Post #4594932

Deb - Love your beach picture!
Ric - We're smack in the middle of the cold front now. The wind is blowing and it's cold outside!

45.3 F / 7.4 C
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 41 F / 5 C
Humidity: 40%
Dew Point: 22 F / -5 C
Wind: 8.0 mph / 12.9 km/h / 3.6 m/s from the WNW
Wind Gust: 14.8 mph / 23.8 km/h / 9.8 m/s
Pressure: 29.91 in / 1012.8 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 3000 ft / 914 m
Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft / 4572 m
(Above Ground Level)

Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 6 PM EST this afternoon...
Freeze warning in effect from midnight tonight to 9 am EST Thursday...

Today
Windy and colder. Partly cloudy with a high of 54. Northwest winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts to around 30 mph.

I'll cover the plants tonight and possibly tomorrow night. WX said we've made it to "surpluss water" status. YAY! It's a treat to see standing water on the sides of the road. Haven't seen that phenomenom in 2 years.

Lady Margaret bloom yesterday.

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2008
10:46 AM

Post #4594933

Oh, we had 1" of rain yesterday.

Geranium blooms yesterday

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2008
11:08 AM

Post #4594949

Well we got the last cold dip going too.
23 out and windy.
Going to 28 but they're still calling for 50's by the weekend...

Hope you all aren't getting hit too hard w/ the snow and T-Storms!
Ric

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2008
11:48 AM

Post #4594989

Good Mornin! It's a chilly 28 w/the wind and snow blowing. So far all we have is a good dusting, but ths "storm" is supposed to last until tomorrow morning. Some folks had an inch of snow at 6:00p yesterday.
At Dublin...
Cloudy: 28F
Feels like: 17F
Barometer: 29.6 in
Dewpoint: 21
Humidity: 70%
Wind: 15 mph WNW
Sunrise: 6:57 AM
Sunset: 6:14 PM

Sharon, Sorry that I got confused. I was thinking of Baxter. :( --- On the other hand... Lady Magaret looks like she is saying "Ahhhh..." and what a Gorgeous Geranium! :D And the storm clouds are Beautiful! Love 'em! :D
Deb, What a gorgeous beach pic...makes me want to go! :D Now! :D
Marsue, Love the show! and I'm w/ Sharon on the last one! Really Neat! :D
Marylyn, thanks for the link to the Laurel...wish that it were hardy here!
Ric, You're colder than us! Stay warm & safe! We had a neat T-storm before that cold pushed in...

The answer to the trivia is...D
Meteorologists can report reduced visibility due to precipitation (rain, snow, etc.), fog and haze.

Today's trivia is...
Which of the following is *not* a characteristic of a storm squall?
a) Long duration
b) Gusty winds
c) Reduced Visibility
d) Heavy precipitation

Have a Great One! :D

Joey

(from last year)

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2008
2:44 PM

Post #4595551

I'm saying "A" for the trivia, Joey. Pretty flower pic. It was 28 on my back porch this morning, too.
Sharon--glad you all have caught up to your "water surplus". Beautiful geranium!
Ric: we are heading for warmer weather this weekend, too. Only we should get up to near 70 by Sunday. I sure hope they are right about that!
Yes, where are Kelli and George and some of the others? We miss you!

Sun shining brightly and we are heading for a high around 51.

DH and I bought two climbing roses and planted them in honor of our 24th wedding anniversary on Monday. One rose is an "Iceberg" and the other is "Joseph's Coat".

Everyone have a good day!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2008
3:07 PM

Post #4595664

Good morning! I'm saying A on the trivia, too, Joey.

Happy Anniversary (almost), Marilyn!

The geranium, LM, and Callie are all gorgeous, Sharon. :-) I'll let you know when the TX Rangers start popping out new growth.

It is a bit nippy out there this morning, but compared to the rest of you, we're balmy! It's going to be in the 60s again this afternoon, and then it will gradually warm up the rest of the week. It's going to rain this weekend, unfortunately. I have a lot to do in the garden!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 8:53am CST (10 min ago)
Temperature 45 F 7 C
Dew Point 25 F -4 C
Humidity 45%
Pressure 30.44 in 1030.7 mb
Wind Speed 3 MPH 3 kts
Wind Dir Variable Variable
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 27, 2008
3:29 PM

Post #4595794

20 Sunrise at 8:05 Sets: 6:14 gain of 5m51seconds
Looks as if there's wild wet and cold weather nearly everywhere; My Sharona, sure sounds like winter.
Ric~same for there; think it's the last gasp?
Marylyn~here's a bit of trivia~ 60's is pretty much the average temp during the summer here. Sounds nice unless you've got the rain and gardening to do. Hope you can get some done.
marsue~how nice to have the roses and early congrats, too.
Joey A Seems winter's in your backyard again. Love the blossom, very fragile looking.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2008
3:36 PM

Post #4595834

Kiska, our average high temperature in January is 62.3. :-)

http://www.rssweather.com/climate/Texas/Houston/
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 27, 2008
4:55 PM

Post #4596236

Marylyn~ learning more about the weather of other places is so interesting; and the personal touch is wonderful.
Looking at my utility bill today, the average temp for Jan was 12.
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 27, 2008
9:12 PM

Post #4597382

Hi everyone!

Rann, I think I have to go skiing to Greenland!

Sharon, it's raining almost all the time in Sochi in Winter.

Marsue, what were those trees at the flower and garden show?
Was it all indoor?

Joey, the trivia is A.

We had a rainy day today.
38F.

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 27, 2008
9:20 PM

Post #4597414

The same tonight.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 27, 2008
9:55 PM

Post #4597548

Hi, guys and thanks ! Busy here, trying to catch up with you. Your pics are great as always!
Sunny and warm here, 65, springdrops are popping out!

Here's a link to an album with the latest pics of the house :

http://picasaweb.google.com/adinamiti/TheHouse?authkey=H4SFWr5xEjU

They are putting the tiles on the walls and floors in the bathrooms and kitchen and the plumber just pomped water into the pipes.
Stay well everyone.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 27, 2008
10:52 PM

Post #4597744

Adina, construction is always fun and joy!
Nice pic of snowdrops.

Here's the pic of a bridge ;)

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 27, 2008
11:03 PM

Post #4597795

KG~loved the photos/looks like a castle my young gdaughter would love to see.
Adina~nice to see how much has been done so far. Great that the plumbing/tile work is nearly finished. Will you be moving before springtime?
Today:
Cloudy. Isolated snow showers in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 20s to lower 30s. Northeast wind 15 to 30 mph.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2008
11:03 PM

Post #4597796

George, I really can't tell you what kind of trees were in that photo. They are definitely some kind of evergreen--maybe a fir of some type? All the flowers, trees, soil, plant material, etc., were brought inside to the convention center and the displays were set up by various garden and plant nurseries. The flower arrangements were done by individuals belonging to various garden clubs. You may have noticed the ribbons: blue= 1st place; red= 2nd place; yellow= third and white = Honorable mention. There were also special awards of merit in various categories. As usual, the buildings in your photos are beautiful!
Adina, I haven't been to your home construction link yet but I'm going to check that out next.
Kiska and Marylyn, thanks for the anniversary congrats--it was this past Monday. Marylyn, I liked that weather link you posted. I think I will start using that for my local weather information. Here's the link for North Little Rock which is just about 20 miles from here so our averages would be close to theirs:
http://www.rssweather.com/climate/Arkansas/North%20Little%20Rock/
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2008
11:49 PM

Post #4597947

Joey I love that geranium the color just pops. It stays on the front porch during blooming season. Thats a very pretty flower! Im going with A too, although a squall can last quite a while thats a tough one!
marsue Congratulations on your Anniversary! The roses sounds gorgeous, youll have to post pics when they bloom!
Kiska - Youll never guess what was on our news tonight. The ice sculpture competition in Anchorage.
Juri That is the prettiest bridge!
Adina Your snowdrops are gorgeous. I love the tiles with the flowers labeled Bae Parter what does that mean? What herb is that #87 looks like Basil and ? Is that your mom and her kitties?

48.0 F / 8 C
Partly Cloudy
Windchill: 46 F / 8 C
Humidity: 26%
Dew Point: 15 F / -10 C
Wind: 5.0 mph / 8 km/hfrom the WNW
Wind Gust: 11.2 mph / 18 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Few 25000 ft / 7620 m
(Above Ground Level)

Freeze warning in effect from midnight tonight to 9 am EST Thursday...

Rest of Tonight - Low 29

Mostly clear. Colder. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Wind chills 22 to 27 after midnight.

Holy Cow 29* - good thing my plants are covered and we're ready to go.

Thumbnail by MySharona

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 28, 2008
12:20 AM

Post #4598079

The granite slabs on our streets in St.Pete reflecting the evening light yesterday. It was a sunny day.
Moscowers envy. ;-)

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 28, 2008
12:23 AM

Post #4598094

Sharon, you have a serious cat. She's probably noticied a Wren. Lol
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2008
12:44 AM

Post #4598207

Juri - Actually she heard our neighbors dog coming. His name is Hitch and he's very sweet, big, but sweet!

Thumbnail by MySharona

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2008
1:12 AM

Post #4598327

Kashtan, your photos are so beautiful. You are showing us US people a part of Russia that glows with warmth. Your night pictures of the large buildings certainly convey a sense of"home" and welcome. Moscow has such beautiful architecture.

We have some sections of streets in the Philadelphia, Pa. area that are cobblestone, from the time the Germans arrived and are kept up as a historical feature. But Moscow certainly dates back much further than that. I do not know of any granite streets around here. What a beautiful display of the wealth of your country.

Woke up to snow flurries this AM - never accumulated anything. My Son in Law in W. Va. had quite a bit of snow and icing and roads were terrible. Temps have been dropping all day. Normally 45 deg. here but is now 27 deg. and windy. Supposed to drop into the teens tonight. Tomorrow again cold and windy - but Sunshine. Still to cold to work outside. I am waiting for this scene.

Thumbnail by se_eds

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2008
1:38 AM

Post #4598416

Se_eds: Me, too! ..waiting.. :)
Sharon: Whoohoo!! Rain for you!! We're getting the same cold as you are. They're saying 24 tonight. I coverd the plants and decided to cut some of the flowers that were blooming - since they'd probably be toast in the morning anyway. (See photo.)

Joey - Trivia is A. Pretty brisk where you are!
Kiska: Speaking of which, down here, temps in the 60s is a brisk fall day! :)
George: A beautiful city. I so enjoy your photos of it.

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2008
1:52 AM

Post #4598469

Dark, Cold & Windy

Lite snow and rain today. If it is moisture I will take it gladly.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2008
1:56 AM

Post #4598480

25 (Wind Chill 15)

2" of fluffy this morning.
Then Sun...then flurries...Then Sun... then...
As I was coming home I saw a seriously beautiful sky.
But at 70 MPH NO pictures...
Jet black clouds boiling up to the left... full Sun and blue overhead... and white-out snow to the right...
The snow caught me for a minute but then back to Full Sun.
Just as I got home the snow caught up w/ me again.
Blap 1/2" of snow... then POP out came the Sun.

Kiska I gotta think this is the last gasp.
After tomorrow we're showing average temps to above for the next ten days.
Upper 40's to mid 50's High.
40 down to 28 for the lows.

Ric
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2008
2:06 AM

Post #4598521

Ric: I SO hope you're right..about the last gasp thing. :)
Deb
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2008
2:45 AM

Post #4598768

Got up to 40* today. Pretty nice out. Now it is dyson dark and alot cooler. Supposed to hit 28* tonite and tomorrow our high will be around 50.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2008
2:54 AM

Post #4598814

We got to 50 today and are expected to get to 53 by Friday. Woohoo!!! ☺
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 28, 2008
3:53 AM

Post #4599053

MySharona~ With the Fur Rendevous celebration going on in Anchorage, I'd think the sculptures were part of that; we ususally go take a look before it's over. It's a 2 week event with the start of the Iditarod taking place this saturday. Hitch is pretty cute.
Love seeing the flower garden and what's ahead for this summer, se_eds.
Deb~I really love that you've picked a boquet and have shared; very pretty. With the weather ric is having, no wonder it's a good thing if it's the last gasp:))
pepper~with temps all over the place, it's going to be hard knowing what's ahead; hopefully, nothing too bad.
kwanjin~looking like springtime temps in your area~
marsue~very interesting reading the weather link, thanks.
Tonight
Mostly cloudy. Lows around 15. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph with local gusts to 30 mph.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2008

Post #4599113

12 tonight with a high of only 18 expected tomorrow. The snow really piled up last evening and night with close to a foot of accumulation. I'm still looking for that corner spring is hiding around. The days are getting longer though. It's light before 7:00 am and it doesn't get dark until around 6:30 pm. We'll be back on DST in a couple of weeks.

Carrie Newcomer, one of my all-time favorite singer/songwriters just released a new album and is touring. I was checking the schedule hoping to attend a show in Cleveland or Pittsburgh. Imagine my surprise when I found a listing for a show at a local college-and it's free! IMO she has the voice of an angel. Check her out here and listen to here new album: http://www.carrienewcomer.com/

early_bloomer

This message was edited Feb 27, 2008 11:03 PM

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2008

Post #4599115

12 tonight with a high of only 18 expected tomorrow. The snow really piled up last evening and night with close to a foot of accumulation. I'm still looking for that corner spring is hiding around. The days are getting longer though. It's light before 7:00 am and it doesn't get dark until around 6:30 pm. We'll be back on DST in a couple of weeks.

Great photos as usual. I'm still jealous of those of you posting spring flowers... ;-)

Carrie Newcomer, one of my all-time favorite singer/songwriters just released a new album and is touring. I was checking the schedule hoping to attend a show in Cleveland or Pittsburgh. Imagine my surprise when I found a listing for a show at a local college-and it's free! IMO she has the voice of an angel. Check her out here and listen to here new album: http://www.carrienewcomer.com/

early_bloomer

This message was edited Feb 27, 2008 11:04 PM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2008
10:34 AM

Post #4599688

Awesome eagle pic!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2008
11:00 AM

Post #4599701

Se_eds Im waiting for that scene too! LOL!
Deb I so badly want some of those snow-drop looking flowers! They are so pretty!
Dyson Hows work going? Hows your DHCs and DHD?
Ric Your description of the clouds sounds like ours. Cloudy to the West, clear to the east dark clouds to the north!
Kiska- Awesome close up of the eagle. Wow!
E_B Thanks for the link on Carrie Newcomer. She has a wonderful voice. Sending thoughts of spring to you and se_eds!

34.5 F / 1.4 C
Clear
Humidity: 35%
Dew Point: 10 F / -12 C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h / 0.9 m/s from the NW
Wind Gust: 7.4 mph / 11.9 km/h
Pressure: 30.30 in / 1026.0 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Freeze warning in effect until 9 am EST this morning...
Freeze watch in effect from late tonight through Friday morning...

Today
Sunny. High 52. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Wind chills in the mid 20s early this morning.

The temps is still dropping. It will be interesting to see how low it actually goes.

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2008
11:05 AM

Post #4599707

17 (Wind Chill 9)
Tomorrow we get Pepper's weather.
50'S and Sunny by Sunday!

We had PLENTY of water this Autumn and Winter.
So it should be a good Spring.

Kiska looks like that Bald Eagle is looking for a hat! lol!

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2008
2:14 PM

Post #4600147

Adina: I checked out the link to your house construction site. You are going to have quite a photo-journal of the ongoing construction project. I loved the one of the cat with his head in the shoe! LOL
George: I am very impressed with your granite streets. Are they all like that?
Se_eds and Deb: your flower pics make me long for Spring. Beautiful daylilies and bright, cheerful daffs and pretty snowdrops!
Kiska; what a photo of the eagle with your DGS!
E_B; once again you have shown us why your photos are award winning. Is that an old firetruck or a pick-up? I'm going to check out the carrie newcomer link next.
Sharon: it must have been windy when you took that pretty sunset photo--the flags are certainly standing at attention!

Today
Partly sunny. Highs around 60. South winds 5 to 10 mph in the morning...increasing to 10 to 15 mph...with gusts to around 25 mph in the afternoon.

Tonight
Cloudy. A slight chance of showers after midnight. Lows in the upper 40s. South winds 10 to 15 mph...with gusts to around 25 mph. The chance of precipitation 20 percent after midnight. Average rainfall less than 1/10 inch.
Hopefully, winter is on the way out. Our extended forecast for next week calls for high temps either near 60 or actually in the 60's every day! Hooray!!

This is not from the flower show. This is an arrangement which I made for my home several years ago.
edited for typo error

This message was edited Feb 28, 2008 11:59 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 28, 2008
4:54 PM

Post #4600977

Sharon, I'd say yeaa, Hitch is a real sweet doggy.

Seeds, thanks for good comments. But it's not Moscow, it's St. Petrsburg on my pix.)
You had got a good variety of Daylilies in your garden last June.

Kiska, how come those eagles are so easy with people?

Marilyn, almost all St. Peterburg down town streets have been paved like that for the last 10 years.
Nice flower arrangement. What are those flowers?

We had wet snow. The down town having being clogged with cars, it's way more convenient to walk through the parks.
34F

Here're ducks on the ice of one of the canals yesterday.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2008
5:49 PM

Post #4601206

That's a cute shot of the ducks. I like the pidgeons in there, too.

We have 39 now and 50's for later today. Beautiful sunshine outside.
60% chance of rain by Saturday and 30% chance of snow on Sunday. I cant' WAIT for the 100's! ☺ (That was sarcasm.) ☺☺☺

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2008
10:41 PM

Post #4602234

It's 16 wonderful degrees outside now with partly sunny skies and Dyson Darkness rapidly approaching. We might have a bit of a warm-up tomorrow with a high of 33.

marsue...It's the grill of an old tractor. I'm finally getting around to scanning some of the slides I shot last summer.

I might have posted this one in the past, but I didn't shoot anything new today...

early_bloomer

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2008
10:46 PM

Post #4602253

Beautiful!

I have to ask because it's been bugging me. What's Dyson Dark?
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2008
11:36 PM

Post #4602408

Well, many times along with our dear Dyson's weather report he ads that it's dark. Sometimes that's his whole report.
Anyday now I expect Katie Couric to close with "Well that's all the news from New York and it's Dyson Dark out!"
I've got my babies tucked in so if it really gets down to 30 tonight we'll survive. I had taken 7 flats out to the back yard and had to shuffle them back in to the back porch.
I'll be taking cuttings and putting them in the back yard after this front leaves.
I have really missed alot and can't even begin to catch up. EB, you can repost any picture you've ever posted as many times as you want.
I am taking a leap of faith and turning to some old creative yearnings as a source of my income.
Yes I'll have pictures.
;)
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2008
11:41 PM

Post #4602426

Marsue The Lake winds are killing us! They tear up the palms at the beaches. Pretty flower arrangement!
Juri I love that picture of the ducks on ice!
Kwanjin Please dont mention the 100s yet! Its way to early for that kind of heat! LOL!
E_B I dont recall seeing that picture before its gorgeous and background!
Kwanjin Dyson is one of our regulars (havent heard from him much lately). Dyson generally posts really early in the morning and his post reads . it was raining and it was Dark! So instaed of it being just "dark" - "dark" is now DysonDark!

49.8 F / 9.9 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 26%
Dew Point: 16 F / -9 C
Pressure: 30.36 in / 1028.0 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Few 25000 ft / 7620 m
(Above Ground Level)

Freeze warning in effect from 1 am to 8 am EST Friday...

Tonight
Mostly clear. Patchy frost after midnight. Low 32. North winds 5 mph. The plants are still covered just in case.

There is this female cardinal that has been tapping on the windows at my office. She started this yesterday and it has just tickled me to see her. She goes from window to window cheeping and tapping. I guess she thinks she's seeing another bird in the reflection and she's trying to make it go away. That or she wants in because it's been cold outside! LOL! This isn't a great picture - going to try to get more. I raised the blinds a little after I took this picture hoping she would come back, she didn't today.

This message was edited Feb 28, 2008 6:47 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2008
11:49 PM

Post #4602450

Kiska...Here's a link to a neat Alaska photo. ;-)

http://posted.post-gazette.com/photos/index.php?id=122658&size=large

early_bloomer
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 29, 2008
12:07 AM

Post #4602516

LOL
Notice the fellow didn't bare his sholders.
;)
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 29, 2008
12:15 AM

Post #4602550

Ack, they are young - and hardy!

Nice day here today, temps currently 23 and windy. When I left this AM was 16 deg and windy. Guess these last 2 days of Feb have to do their thing. I heard the weatherman say something about '50's" =- in a few days. I'll believe it when it happens.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 29, 2008
1:28 AM

Post #4602873

Mostly cloudy. Isolated snow showers after midnight. Lows in the mid teens to lower 20s. North wind 10 mph with gusts to 30 mph.
Sunrise: 8:02 Sunset: 6:17 gain of 5m51seconds.
KG~ the eagles are there, near the fishing/processing and are used to people; not sure about now, but used to be a woman was allowed to feed them. Love all ducks on the ice; is there open water nearby?
E_B~what a beautiful scene; I'm very curious about the link, but at time, it's not linking. After reading the following posts, I've got an idea it's someone being crazy in the cold?
Marsue~your arrangement is so pretty; bet you had fun putting it together.
kwanjin~100 ~ are you looking forward to the heat?
Sugarweed~ your taking the "leap of faith" in doing what you've wanted, sounds great.
se_eds~ cold and windy, not fun to be out in. Hope the temp does go up a bit...
My Sharona~ glad you were able to get a pic. The temp doesn't look all that warm; and frost again, poor little plants. At least they're under cover.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 29, 2008
1:31 AM

Post #4602889

LOL! e_b that looks better than the painted fat guys at the football games!!!

We it was 14 and clear here this morning.
I actually saw a red glow in the East as I was leaving for work at 6:25.
Sunrise hit at 7:13.
Nice to actually have some light driving in!!!

Then I spent 1 1/2 hours working outside in it! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But as I had my Winter gear in the car this time it wasn't really that bad.
By afternoon I left in a light jacket.
Had to turn the car heater to cool... man WARM Sun... WHO KNEW!

Looks like it may get dicey going to work.
Rain coming and it's 30 now. 'Supposed' to warm up a bit overnight but...

Ric

This message was edited Feb 28, 2008 8:32 PM
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 29, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #4602905

Aha~~~now I see...and I see your point, too, Ric :))
We're going up to Fairbanks in about 3 weeks to see the Ice Sculpture displays; hopefully it's not going to be quite as cold as in the photo.
Don't I recall you mentioning that you had different changes in your car, depending on the weather of the day? Sure did today, didn't it?
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 29, 2008
1:53 AM

Post #4602990

Kiska I've always kept cold weather gear in my car.
Many areas we drive thru are pretty rural (by Ohio not AK standards) and better safe.
Plus we used to do a LOT of Winter hiking and Snowshoeing.
When I lived in Dayton we had to go up to the Airport once at -17 and blizzard conditions.
The plane was hours late...after the blizzard... but we had put in -30 sleeping bags and 4 season tent just for that drive.
Almost needed them ... we got run off the road ... still leave them in every Winter.
Today the Carhartt coveralls, Thinsulate Ski Cap and Blizzard Gloves came in mighty handy.
We had to change out the scrap metal bin... every time ... coldest day of the month!! lol

Ric
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 29, 2008
2:42 AM

Post #4603219

Ahhh Carhart, my favorite designer.
;)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 29, 2008
5:15 AM

Post #4603736

I'm not envying anyone with this kind of cold! LOL You guys are making me long for the 100's! (I'm kidding! Not really.) I would be perfectly happy with 80's all summer.

Beautiful mountain shot, Kiska.

We have 37
Humidity is 80%
Tomorrow 55

I got a shot of our Wasatch Mountains from work yesterday.

This message was edited Feb 28, 2008 10:15 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 29, 2008
5:17 AM

Post #4603744

And the Oqquires on the other side of us. I sometimes have a hard time believing I live with such beauty around me.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 29, 2008
5:46 AM

Post #4603857

Ric~ you've had quite some adventures/cold:)) Carharts are a fashion favorite here, too.
kwanjin~ it is beautiful country that you live in...
Ice on cliffs along hwy.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 29, 2008
5:51 AM

Post #4603870

Thanks. And thanks for the explaination of DD, Sugar and Sharonna. I was confused for a minute. ☺
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 29, 2008
10:50 AM

Post #4604068

Great pics everyone! I'm getting ready to head out - will be back later today or possibly tomorrow.

And yes it's DysonDark - LOL!!

36.1 F / 2.3 C
Clear
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 32 F / -0 C
Pressure: 30.44 in / 1030.7 hPa (Steady)

Freeze warning in effect until 8 am EST this morning...

Today
Partly cloudy. Widespread frost early in the morning. High 60. East winds 5 to 10 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 29, 2008

Post #4604079

34 and drizzle...
Going for 41..
Upper 50's by Sunday?...

Kiska the problem here isn't really the cold.
It's the lack of consistant cold... if that makes sense.
When I was growing up in the late 50's and 60's it was cold and snowy from mid Nov. thru February.
Lile up there you expected it, dressed for it and enjoyed it.
Now we might hit mid Dec before we see any snow at all...
Temps near 70 in January... then -5 in January... Feb has been normal ... for January.
Last year, before the drought hit, we had freezing rain most of April...

Ric
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 29, 2008

Post #4604081

Wind Chill: 25 Ceiling: 10000ft
Heat Index: 25 Visibility: 10mi
Dew Point: 15 Wind: 0mph
Humidity: 66% Direction: 0 (N)
Pressure: 30.45in Gusts: 0mph
25(F)

and yes - Dark
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 29, 2008
1:03 PM

Post #4604247

Good morning! I'm up early (but not as early as you, Sharon, Ric, and Dyson! Course it's an hour later where you are, but still...) I have to go to my new endocrinologist's office for a glucose tolerance test. I had to take these when I was pregnant to check for gestational diabetes, so at least I know what to expect. :-) (I don't think I'm diabetic, but the doctor just wants to rule it out since it runs in my family.)

It's going to be another pretty day here; sunny and in the mid 70s by this afternoon. The mountain laurels are popping out more blooms. I'll take more pictures when I get home. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CST (6 min ago)
Temperature 60 F 16 C
Dew Point 55 F 13 C
Humidity 86%
Pressure 30.15 in 1021 mb
Wind Speed 7 MPH 6 kts
Wind Dir SE 130
Ceiling 6500 ft 1981 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 55.9F / 13.3C

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 29, 2008
2:38 PM

Post #4604484

Mornin' All! We have a temp of 28 w/ clouds. They say we are to get rain this afternoon. Who knows...we didn't get any notable snow, but everyone else did. No school for 2 days.
At Dublin...
Cloudy: 25F
Feels like: 25F
Barometer: 30.4 in
Dewpoint: 21
Humidity: 81%
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:54 AM
Sunset: 6:16 PM

Great Pics, Everybody!
Marylyn, hope your tests go well...as in negative! :D Can't wait for the pics! :D
kwanjin. It is indeed! beautiful! :D

Well, the trivia answer is...A
Squalls, by their nature, tend to be short in duration...
Did You Know? However, you can get hit with several squalls, one after the other to make it seem like a long duration.

Todays trivia is...
We have a leap day almost every 4 years. This is because the Earth's orbit:
a) Keeps slowing down
b) Keeps speeding up
c) Takes about 365 1/4 days
d) Changes every 4 years

Gotta go study! :D
Have a Great Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 29, 2008
5:01 PM

Post #4604988

http://www.adn.com/matsu/story/330324.html
The above link is an article about the kids' winter-survival skills field trip yesterday. My 2nd grade gson was there. He was telling me it was the best ever field trip.
Mostly cloudy in the morning then becoming partly sunny. Highs in the mid 20s to lower 30s. North wind increasing to 15 to 25 mph with gusts to 35 mph in the afternoon.
Ric~ I understand what you mean about not staying cold. It really creates problems if it's above freezing before winter's end.
MySharona~ "see" you later; love the pic.
Dyson~~we're coming out of the the "dark" and in just few weeks, more light than dark. Looks a bit cold there.
Marylyn~hope all goes well; sounds very pretty w/mt. laurels in bloom.
Joey~what a wonderful photo to start the day with. JW's happy little face is a joy.
C
There was an eagle in the tree near our home last evening; too many branches, but it was cool seeing it here.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 29, 2008
5:32 PM

Post #4605106

What a cutie, Joey! ☺
The eagles are great! We have a couple we see now and then but not close enough to take a pic.

We have 44 with 54 expected
Barometer is 30.3 and falling (we'll probably get that snow they've been talking about for a week)
Humidity is 60%
Wind 6 mph SE
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 29, 2008
8:01 PM

Post #4605629

Good afternoon! The glucose tolerance test was really really boring... LOL They take a base line blood test (two vials), give you a pint of sickly sweet syrupy stuff and tell you to drink it in 5 seconds, send you back out to the waiting room, and then pull you back in every half hour to re-poke you. And then half an hour later, they poke you again. And then an hour, again. By then I was really really sleepy and my arm is still a little sore. LOL They'll e-mail the test results when they get them back, which is nice.

I got home at 10:15 and send dh off to work. He had to put the little bunny in the bus this morning, and he and the big bunny were having a quiet morning together. :-) He called on his way in to say that the trail riders were out! The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo starts this weekend. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Livestock_Show_and_Rodeo It's the biggest livestock show in the world. Every year the local (and not so local) ranchers get together in groups and have trail rides into town, and the road that passes our neighborhood is always on the route for a few of the groups. The big bunny and I walked down the road a few blocks to an empty lot between two apartment complexes where the riders were resting and gathering. We got to walk around them and look at all of the horses (no cattle.. just riders and wagons), and Joy got to pet a police officer's horse. Then we watched them gather up and ride out. It was very fun!

First, here is the mountain laurel today, as promised...

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 29, 2008
8:02 PM

Post #4605636

Here's the big bunny by the horse. She liked petting him, but found him rather large and slightly scary. The officer was very kind and patient with her, and the horse was very gentle.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 29, 2008
8:04 PM

Post #4605641

Here is everyone just milling around in the empty lot. It was a great day for the trail ride! Warm, but not too humid or too hot; partly cloudy and not raining. Some years it is pretty miserable out there when they come to town.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 29, 2008
8:08 PM

Post #4605647

One more... Here they are riding out. All bunched up, as they first started, they probably were about a city block long. Maybe 2 blocks. Once they spread out, they would have taken a lot more space, of course. There is an elementary school just down the road from here, and all of the kids were sitting out front to wave at the riders as they went by. Very fun. :-)

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 29, 2008
8:09 PM

Post #4605655

Joey, now I got the idea of where the trick was !!! It's C. )))

We have some snow now.
33F

Edited to say, Joey, I checked the pic of JW. Did you show him the pic of me laughing in my baby years. Lol.

This message was edited Feb 29, 2008 6:17 PM

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 29, 2008
8:11 PM

Post #4605663

Marylyn, crossposted.
Awesome pixs!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 29, 2008
8:34 PM

Post #4605725

Sharon: I think the lady cardinal must surely have been pecking at her reflection in the window.☺☺☺
Wonderful shots of your mountains, Kiska and Kwanjin(Celia)!
Kiska, that is awesome to be able to view an eagle so close to your home! I am getting ready to go and check out the link you posted on the winter survival skills.
Joey: JW is certainly happy. His tummy was obviously full! LOL "C" for the trivia.
EB: The cold had most certainly frozen the brains (and other body parts) of the people in that photo on the link you posted! LOL
Ric: this up and down weather is certainly frustrating isn't it?
Marylyn: pretty bunny and pretty mountain laurel. Good pics of the trail ride. Let us know how the glucose test turns out.
George, youasked about the flowers in the arrangement above. There are magnolias and roses and some daisy-looking flowers as well as the greenery. They are all silk--not real.

Weather report for this afternoon: It is currently 68 on my back porch. The sun is shining and it is slightly windy.
Partly sunny. A slight chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 60s. West winds 10 to 15 mph. The chance of precipitation 20 percent. Average rainfall less than 1/10 inch.
Tonight
Partly cloudy. A slight chance of showers in the evening. Lows in the mid 30s. North winds 5 to 10 mph. The chance of precipitation 20 percent in the evening.
Tomorrow I am taking my DGD and 2 of her friends to Little Rock to see Pat Parelli. He is a horse trainer and goes around the country giving demonstrations on how to train horses, etc. Here is a link to his website for anyone who is interested. http://www.parelli.com/home.faces
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 29, 2008
8:37 PM

Post #4605734

Kiska, I just checked out that link. It certainly sounds as if the children and adults, too, learned some good survival skills and had a good time in the process.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 29, 2008
9:19 PM

Post #4605866

Thanks, guys, I'm glad you liked the pics!
Kiska, we're not moving in too soon, but hopefully until summer...beautiful eagle!
George, your town is gorgeous! Loved those poor ducks!
Sharon, those tiles are from the downstairs bathroom and that's what "Bae parter" means. Actually, it isn't written correctly, a worker wrote it when getting each tile on its place. It should have been written "baie parter". The plants are petunias which grew in my pot last fall...they should've popp out sooner, but the summer was too hot. Now I had to throw them away because they are too old. Great sky!
Marsue, thanks, I think I'll do an album with the ongoing of our house, I've been thinking about it too!
Joey, JW is such a sweet baby, what a beautiful laugh!
We're having spring here, warm and sunny. They forecasted strong winds and rain tomorrow, but not in Bucharest...thank God!We're driving to the house tomorrow and will take more pics.
Here are moms klittle kitties!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

February 29, 2008
10:35 PM

Post #4606161

Marsue, cool silk flower arrangement! Actually, I thought those were the dried in the sand flowers. I've heard of that techinque.

Kiska, thanks for the cool link!

Adina, love the kitties pic! How's the construction goes on? We are collegues. I love doing it in the South. Here in St.Pete everything with my house had been done back in 1860. Those were BTW happy ducks. Lol.

We had some real snow yesterday night. I went out in the yard cleaning my carpet on the snow. I like doing it..
The carpet imbibes the snow energy and fills the house with it. Lol.

This message was edited Feb 29, 2008 7:29 PM

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2008
1:51 AM

Post #4606777

46 (Wind Chill 39) after brushing snow off the car this morning.
Funny 46 at almost 9 PM and the high tomorrow is only supposed to be 41
So it better drop 5 degrees REAL fast or... lol!

Sunny weekend in store should be near 60 Sunday!!!

George COOL pictures!
Marylyn that looks like it was a neat time!!

Kiska that's a good program for everyone.
I went on a Winter Jamboree w/ the scouts.
It was excellent training.
We built pull sleds, learned fire starting and snow camping skills.
It was a blast even w/ the -10 nights.
I had a bit of a leg up though.
My Dad was stationed in the Aleutians briefly during WWII.
(next stop INDIA! lol!)
We had been Winter Camping since I was 3.

Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

March 1, 2008
2:32 AM

Post #4606980

Marylyn~~loved seeing your little one w/police horse; very cute and what a treat to be in the thick of things. Sounds like quite a celebration going on.
KG~glad you like the link, too. StP., is certainly beautiful and I see that snow isn't stopping the bicycle riders; studded tires?
marsue~ the area the kids went, is about 20 miles from here and my DD and I were just up there; stayed warm in the car...
Adina~the kittens are so cute; summer will be here and you'll be in your new home; how exciting.
ric~ winter camping is not for me:)) A nice comfy mhome in the summer is my idea of "camping" now. From the Aleutians to India~what a temp shock.
View from the deck moments ago.
26 very light snowfall and sun's still up at 5:30pm.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2008
3:08 AM

Post #4607163

Hit the low 50s today with a brisk wind. It was nice for a change. Will be nice tomorrow then start getting cold again Sunday with snow in the forcast Sun or Mon.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2008
1:52 PM

Post #4608154

Helluuuu! :D We had a rainy night last night, but now the sun is out w/a temp of 34 . It's supposed to only get up to about 40 today, but the sun will be out all day. It will be into the 60's tomorrow & Monday! :D Now would be a good time to wash my car...to get the salt off.
At Dublin...
Clear: 37F
Feels like: 28F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 27
Humidity: 64%
Wind: 17 mph W
Sunrise: 6:53 AM
Sunset: 6:17 PM

Marylyn, The drive & rodeo looks like heaps of fun! And Gee that is a lot of folks! It's quite interesting that some folks come from so far away on the drives! That would be something I would be very interested in doing! :D Your Laurel is Gorgeous! :D and I know that Joy had a hoot w/ the horse! :D
Thanks Kiska, That is a great thing that the school is teaching them survival lessons! :D I think that everyone needs to learn things like that! I guess that it really teaches you how to live w/out all the modern convenieces, too, not just in an emergency. :D I Love the Eagle at your house & your latest snow pic! Wow!
Juri, I'm w/ Ric..."COOL pictures!" :D (what trick?:)
Thanks Adina, What pretty kitties! Are they Himalayans?
Thanks (LOL) Marsue, & thanks for the link . Is he what you call a "horse whisperer"? Very interesting.
E_B, thanks for the Carrie Newcomer link ! :D Great!

The answer to the trivia is...C
The Earth's orbit around the Sun takes 365.2422 days. So one day out of every 4 years is added.
Did You Know?
To account for the .2422 (and not .25) leap year is skipped 3 out of 4 "00" years (e.g. 1900, 2100, 2200, 2300, 2500, etc.)

Todays trivia is...
About how thick is the Earth's atmosphere (i.e. how far up does "space" begin)
a) 5 miles
b) 20 miles
c) 50 miles
d) 200 miles

Have a Great Week end! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2008
2:06 PM

Post #4608205

HAPPY MARCH!!!

We are continued here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/819014/

Ric

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America