Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year: won't bloom outdoors?!

Communities > Forums > Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year
bookmark
Forum: Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next YearReplies: 5, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sheersheri
Birmingham, AL

February 22, 2008
2:55 PM

Post #4572577

Dear Jill,
I love the article - even though I'm a latecomer to this discussion!
I'm in Birmingham AL, zone 7b. I have had a few amaryllis outdoors for 2 years in the ground and every year so far they only put out leaves. How can I make them bloom in the spring? They seem to withstand the heat even though I didn't realize they shouldn't be in full sun. Last winter was crazy with a freeze in March, but this winter we are having good cold weather at approrpriate times.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

sheri
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2008
4:46 PM

Post #4573201

I'm sorry, but since I have to overwinter my amaryllis indoors, I have no advice on how to grow them outside year-round. DG does have an active Amaryllis discussion forum... I'd encourage you to subscribe so you can take advantage of that forum and the many others available. If that's not an option right now... let's see... I just checked the list of forums, and the Tropical Gardening forum is open to both members and subscribers. I'll bet somebody there might be able to answer your question about amaryllis. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/tropics/all/
sheersheri
Birmingham, AL

March 6, 2008
4:09 AM

Post #4628355

Thanks Critterologist.

I'll definitely check the forums for amaryllis and subscribe as well.
sheersheri
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2008
5:46 AM

Post #4628568

:-)

I've had more fun and learned more from my DG subscription than I'd have gained from any 10 gardening magazine subscriptions... You're going to love the additional resources and discussion forums that subscribing opens up for you!

I also really like that Dave offers $5 trial subscriptions. That's a great way to check things out for a couple of months and see what you think...

I'll look forward to seeing you around the forums!
Gardening_Lady
Lanexa, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2008
2:23 AM

Post #4948119

I'm in Virginia, zone 7a, and once the babies are old enough, they usually start to bloom without problem. Some seem to take longer to mature than others, but it may be related to location. Sun is preferable, but apparently not an absolute essential. They are heavy feeders, and my son (in SC) had some that weren't blooming until they started getting more fertilizer, so that may be the key. I fertilize in early spring when they've all come up and again after blooming. I just (this evening, actually) read something online from someone at Clemson who said they should also be fed when stalk is a few inches high. I need to do some more research on this. I'm a big fan of the Espoma "Tone" fertilizers, and use Holly-Tone (for acid-loving plants) on my amaryllis.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2008
3:53 AM

Post #4948524

Thanks for the tip on the fertilizer! :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting artical terriculture 13 Jan 22, 2008 4:54 PM
in ground LouC 11 Jan 12, 2012 1:45 PM
fertilizer happy_macomb 4 Jan 18, 2008 10:35 PM
amaryllis fergie50 1 Feb 12, 2008 3:41 PM
amaryllis vandal!! lnorris 1 May 13, 2008 4:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America