Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Saving tomato seeds using fermentation: Fermentation

Communities > Forums > Article: Saving tomato seeds using fermentation
bookmark
Forum: Article: Saving tomato seeds using fermentationReplies: 4, Views: 141
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2008
5:44 PM

Post #4573501

Is there a particlar reason why you would want these seeds to FERMENT, instead of just speeding up this process(for example some suggest using a blender and a lot of water, then using a strainer, which reduces this step to one day, or simply rubbing seeds between paper towels).
I know that certain seeds(beans) are better/healthier eaten after partial fermentation, but I've never heard to ferment seeds you are going to dry...
Does this help the future germination? And if left too long in the cup, wouldn't they begin to sprout radicals & actually start to germinate?
-T
dave

February 22, 2008
6:21 PM

Post #4573626

The fermentation process that I do is mimicking exactly the process that the fruit undergoes in nature. I believe the closer we get to gardening the way nature intends it, the better results we will see.

I have also read that fermentation kills seed-borne diseases. It's been many years since I read on the subject, though. I'd have to get back out my books to refresh my memory on all the benefits to fermentation.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2008
8:09 PM

Post #4573968

If it kills seed-bourne diseases, then that is definitely a good reason to do it!
Thank you

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

September 1, 2009
8:47 AM

Post #7011877

Fermentation is simply used to get rid of the flesh more easily, you can of course rub seeds between paper towels but though this might be OK for a few seeds you won't be happy to do it with five kilo tomatoes!!
joyfreeman
Little Rock, AR

September 7, 2009
9:09 PM

Post #7037389

The gel around the seeds contains a chemical that inhibits germination (this is also true of cucumbers), to keep the seeds from sprouting inside the fruit until it has fallen from the plant. The fermentation process destroys that chemical. It also kills some diseases.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Saving tomato seeds using fermentation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy to follow photo tutorial Dea 6 Nov 28, 2007 8:46 PM
About the same tcfromky 4 Mar 3, 2007 9:42 AM
Saving Heirloom Seeds - Varietal Spacing challweaver 1 Jul 24, 2007 2:30 PM
seed saving flowerfantasy 1 Nov 27, 2008 11:42 PM
How long is "several days" RussMartin4154 11 Jul 15, 2010 8:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America