Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: What's That Bug? Sphex ichneumoneus: The Great Golden Digger Wasp: Interesting article.

Communities > Forums > Article: What's That Bug? Sphex ichneumoneus: The Great Golden Digger Wasp
bookmark
Forum: Article: What's That Bug? Sphex ichneumoneus: The Great Golden Digger WaspReplies: 5, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2008
9:25 AM

Post #4576425

Very interesting article, thanks for sharing.
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 23, 2008
10:31 AM

Post #4576450

I agree.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2008
7:37 PM

Post #4578186

Thank you so much for this informative article--I've seen these critters, and thought they were scarier than they actually are! Now that I know they are beneficial, I'll be glad they have come to live in my garden.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2008
7:42 PM

Post #4582559

They're probably one of the most misunderstood insects that a gardener will run across. There are several species of Digger Wasps that you should be aware of. The Black Caterpillar Hunter does hunt caterpillars, and others, such as the Thread Waisted Wasps will hunt various beetles and crickets. I find them fascinating, and encourage all of them at my flowers.
marwood0
Golden, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 24, 2008
6:54 PM

Post #5925339

Wasps are actually my greatest fear. Some hate snakes, roaches, mice... not me. I can't stand wasps. They send chills through me and make my hair stand up. I really appreciate learning about these mostly harmless wasps with such entertaining habits. Makes them slightly less intimidating.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 24, 2008
7:53 PM

Post #5925463

I'm glad that you found the article interesting. Knowledge of a creature helps overcome instinctive fears.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: What's That Bug? Sphex ichneumoneus: The Great Golden Digger Wasp Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Reassured... unbalancedpj 1 Feb 24, 2008 7:43 PM
I was stung by one of these! djcodyblue 2 Mar 31, 2008 2:07 AM
Great Golden Digger Wasp kellysvixen 1 Aug 18, 2009 11:21 PM
Great Golden Digger Wasp... Kailani 3 Aug 24, 2009 7:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America