Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: We Got the Beet: Great article

Communities > Forums > Article: We Got the Beet
bookmark
Forum: Article: We Got the BeetReplies: 5, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2008
9:36 AM

Post #4576429

Pickled beets is the best! Good article and great veggies. Thanks for the info
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 23, 2008
10:31 AM

Post #4576449

Thanks for the nice article; would have liked to have seen a recipe...
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2008
10:24 PM

Post #4578803

Love our beets - think it may be our favorite root vegetable...close at the top anyway - we love to grow and eat them. Roasted and then sliced with goat cheese and the greens as a bed, doesn't get much better !

Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2008
5:23 AM

Post #4580485

The Beet Goes On, love it and those beets , good artical

? you mention thinning and every body says to thin if you want to get a nice crop . So instead of planting 2 to 4" and then thin, why not plant 4 to 6" instead and not bother with thinning? Is there a reason why they need to be planted close together in the first place?

This is my biggest problem, I don't thin and I don't plant far apart either,lol. So I'm going to try it your way this season. Thanks again.

I'll show pic's of my crop of nice beets this season : )

TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2008
1:38 PM

Post #4590039

Linda, you bring up an excellent point - and your comment also reminded me of a very important fact about beet seeds which I neglected to address in my article.

Each beet "seed" is actually a pod containing several seeds. So when you plant one, you're really planting about five seeds...thus the need for eventual thinning, no matter how far apart you space them.

Thanks for the nice comments,everyone. Dutchlady, I've got a great recipe for Borsch if you'd like it. : ) I'm thinking of trying Dea's roasted beet and goat cheese concoction this weekend!
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

December 14, 2011
4:57 AM

Post #8928946

Good article!
There is a variety of beet called "solo" which gives just one plant per seed.

Beets have to be an Xmas vege! and that salad sounds like a good Xmas salad.

This message was edited Dec 14, 2011 5:58 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: We Got the Beet Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice Article phicks 1 Feb 26, 2008 1:39 PM
thanks! TamaraFaye 0 Feb 26, 2008 2:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America